1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a very dark, hazy, amber color. Probably one of the darkest IPAs I've ever seen. Not what I look for in the style.

I'm getting a balance between piny hops and malt. Not a very strong aroma. This is very underwhelming for an IPA. I would suspect an old bottle, but of course Dark Horse doesn't post freshness codes.

Taste is a little better, still not much hop flavor though. Tastes like an old IPA that has lost its kick. Mostly malt flavor with bitter hops, but not much as far as anything citrusy or Piny.

I'll at least give it decent points for drinkability and mouthfeel, as I DO enjoy drinking it, it is just a bad representation of the style. It's also nice that the ABV is relatively low for an IPA.

Another disappointing IPA with no freshness label. Story of my life. Beware.

Estocker, Dec 16, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance -- Pours a hazy amber with two fingers of stiff beige head. Nice lacing.

Smell -- Citrus pith, pine resin, mild caramel sweetness.

Taste -- Pine resin becomes more dominant in the hop profile, though pithy citrus is still present. Malt backbone of husky grain and mild caramel sweetness. Lingering flavors of resin and citrus pith.

Moutheel -- Medium in body with ample carbonation.

Drinkability -- At the end of the day Crooked Tree is a solid IPA, though not exceptional. Having had Double Crooked Tree, this was a mild disappointment. I'll come back to this one again if I ever see it on tap. Perhaps freshness was a factor?

yeahnatenelson, Dec 12, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Dirty copper color with a murky, viscous appearance. Thin white head after the pour that leaves a decent white cap and wet lacings. Resiny, earthy hop and biscuit aromas. Medium bodied with pleasant carbonation. Well balanced malt and hop flavors in the beginning that give way to a hoppy pine finish. After hearing good things about this IPA, I was generally disappointed. Maybe I'm sampling an out of date bottle. I look forward to trying this again sometime and hopefully updating my review.

IronLover, Dec 12, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -5%

Picked up a bottle of this at Julio's. Overall a rather plain IPA.

Beer is light copper with a full white head that sticks around and leaves some lacing on the glass. Mild haze and moderate to low carbonation.

Aroma is weak and mildly malty with hints of pine hops on the edges.

Beer is bitter and sulfury on the mid to late palate, overall its a chewy beer at medium body. Weak lead off but a strong hop presence in the second half of the mouth. Its a decent tasting IPA, easy drinking, just not very interesting.

drabmuh, Dec 06, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -9.5%

I pick this brew up on recommendation from a co-worker.

The beer presentation in the case was not very impressive. It would not have had me buy it unless recommended. I tired the beer and I surpised to see nearly 5mm of yeast at the bottom of each glass. I tired the beer at all types of tempatures. The first one I had was about 50 degrees and it was tasty and the malty and hop flavor was more pronounced. I the last one I had.... I stuffed it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and it was very good and crisp. That would be my recommend way of drinking it.

LanceW, Dec 05, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

a: pours a copper color with about a half inch of head that disappears quickly leaving about half an inch of sticky lace around the edge of the glass. a few carbonation bubbles continue to rise to the top of the beer

s: caramel sweet malts balanced nicely with citrus/grapefruit and piny hop bitterness

t: sweet citrusy hop bitterness is my first reaction followed by piny bitterness. overall this is sweeter than I thought it would be but it is nicely balanced

m: medium bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation

overall, this is a good beer that ican see myself getting again

happygnome, Nov 28, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -9.5%

12 ounce bottle courtesy of Ryan011235, poured into a Duvel tulip. A ton of floaties, snowglobe-style, distract from the sizeable fluffy head and plentiful lacing.

Appearance nitpicking aside, this is a pretty solid IPA. The nose has plenty of pine and grapefruit, a touch of sweeter citrus, perhaps tangerines or orange zest, some light malt. Good level of piney bitterness that takes a turn toward spicy at times. A fair amount of caramel lends a juiciness and a touch of sweetness to flavors of grapefruit and orange, a drop or 2 of lemon juice.

Overall impression: Easy recommendation here.

PDXHops, Nov 28, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour is the color of caramel with a decent off white head and some thickish lacing.

Smell is biscuity, citrusy hops along with a mineral touch as well.

Taste is a well balanced blend of hoppiness and a decent malty backbone. Neither is overwhelming, good balance.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, bordering on crisp, but there is a certain lingering stickiness as well.

Drinkability is good, this one, while not exceptional or a stand-out, is a good middle of the road IPA.

foureyedgeek, Nov 25, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Dark muddy orange, with a finger of very light tan head.

Smell is citrus, a little bitterness, and some malts, and butterscotch.

Taste is rather bitter, with citrus hints, slighty sweet, with a pronounced lingering bitterness.

Feel is smooth, upper light in body. Low carbonation.

Drink is solid.

EgadBananas, Nov 20, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Orangey and amber colored hazy body. Body appears very thick as bubbles seem suspended in mid drink. Nice amount of head on this pour. Thick, big bubbles that leave a substancial amount of lacing.

Aroma: Very hoppy at first, but subsequent whiffs definitely pick up more malty sweetness. Nice grapefruit peel and tangerine orange flesh smell, probably accentuated by the malt.

Taste: This one flip-flops as I drink it when it comes to progression. The first, colder drinks yield a much more potent hop flavor off the bat (same flavors as the aroma) that then get tempered by the malt. As it warms, the malt becomes a bigger initial player that the hops then mellow out. Well balanced each way.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Rich mouthfeel. This body is medium to be sure, but the heavy side of medium. The carbonation keep this one from being too viscous. If you are drinking these guys ice cold, you could have a few. However, this one gets harder to drink as it warms.

Overall: Not a bad effort. This one is a solid example of the style, but not one that is going to make me race out to pick it up over others in the future.

soze47, Nov 18, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Dark copper with a big frothy orange cream head.

S: This one jumps out of the bottle as soon as it's opened before even pouring. Hops and lots of citrus over a roasted malt.

T: Dark roasted malt with a hint of juicy grapefruit. Washed away by a hop blast, just bittering hops, not very spicy.

M: Extremely smooth for an IPA. Goes down easy.

O: This is a good one, very easy to drink, good brew.

bundy462, Nov 17, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz bottle cracked open when I got home from work and poured into a pint glass. This one pours a brownish orange hazy color with a significant amount of UFO's (unidentified floating objects). The pour reveals a moderately sized white head that reduces to a thin ring around the perimeter of the glass and a few foamy islands floating about. A nice amount of lacing occupies the sides of the glass.

I am questioning my sinuses right now. There is not a lot coming off the nose on this one. Ah... here we have a single IPA. It's been far too long since I have had this style. There is a slight grapefruit citrus hop, faint piney profile, a subtle spiciness and maybe some malty-ness at the end. Pretty damn good for the style.

The taste is fairly subtle but really quite nice. I have got to drink more single IPA's. I think the amount of double IPA's I drink is skewing my judgment when I drink something like this. An excellent blend of citrus and piney flavors with just the right amount of bitterness and a pleasant malty backdrop that makes this one exceptionally smooth.

With a light to medium body and a decent amount of carbonation in this one, it is deceivingly drinkable. The alcohol is never really detected.

For the style, this one is spot on in my opinion - amazing hop to malt balance and incredibly drinkable. I could drink way too many of these. It is probably a good thing that I only bottle a single bottle.

mjn5036, Nov 16, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +18.6%

12 oz bottle served in a small goblet, Crooked Tree IPA is burnt orange with lots of floaties, and a small off-white head that quickly dissipates, leaving light lace.

Smell is good, a nice robust american hop profiles, citrus fruits accentuated by a nice sweetness from the malt, and a resiny backbone as well.

Taste is also good and hoppy, more balanced then the nose between the citrus and pine, with the fruit of the hops complimenting the crystal malt, but the bitterness bringing perfect balance. I normally dislike IPAs that are malty, but this one is excellent, very well made.

Mouthfeel is oily but a bit dry, with a medium body.

Drinkability is high, this is a fantastic IPA. I'm really impressed, one of the best I've had outside of the west coast.

ccrida, Nov 04, 2010

Pours copper in color with a good sized head and some lacing. In the nose, herbal and floral hops. This pulls through in the flavor, with grapefruit, zest and herb all making their presence known. A solid drinking IPA with a good balance of bitterness and malt sweetness. A nice beer from Dark Horse.

Stinkypuss, Nov 03, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a dirty brownish orange with an off-white foamy head. Some lacing, some rising bubbles. I give most appearances decent ratings, even shitty beers, but this is really hard. This is ugly beer.

Nice floral and grapefruit hop aromas. Great toasted malt scents, and some light fruit aroma mingling in there. Nice.

Juicy fruit and citric rind dominate, with a great balance between the hop and the malt. The sharp bite of bitterness is counterblanced with some fruit, some bread toast, and a hop finish. Good IPA.

Medium to medium-full body. Some prickly carbonation helps keep this drinkable. Nothing cloying or out of place. A very worthy IPA.

OtherShoe2, Nov 01, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

A- murky brown, lots of sediment, pours a thin head that fades rapidly to just a thin layer.

S- nose is slightly sweeter than I expected, malt comes through with some grassy hops, a little citrus.

T- hops come through a touch more piney than the nose suggests

M- medium bodied and resiny, aftertaste lingers strongly, sediment leaves noticeable traces as well.

D- Average at best, a little sediment can be good, but this seems to be extreme and really brings the beer down.

Franz4, Nov 01, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: hazy-amber orange with plenty of sediment. To be honest, I get really excited to see a touch of sediment in my glass. :o)

S: really didn't get much in terms of smell... definitely citrus, pine and some floral but nothing jumps out at your nose.

T: hops hit right away and last quite awhile after. tiny hint of caramely-sweetness that dissipates quickly.

M: carbonation felt perfect but I thought it was a tad thin and watery

D: I found this to be quite a drinkable IPA and would definitely see myself drinking a few...a bit high in ABV for a session brew, but 2 or 3 would be a great way to wind down after a long day.

msjacilynn, Oct 29, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

A: Copper color. Presented with a half finger thick head. Nothing too out of the ordinary but also fit the style very well.

S: Strong Cascade hops smell/pine and grapefruit smells

T: Low levels of pine and fruit which makes me think they use some hop extract to make it come out in smell stronger than the taste. There are large levels of bready malts. No bite at the end. Just sweetness from the malts finish this one.

M: Nice carbonation on the middle of my tongue. A little syrupy in mouthfeel but not that much.

D: Its drinkable but for an IPA its too much on the sweet side. Disappointing as it offered so much in look and smell. Maybe the hops had died down from the tap I got but that was my experience with it.

gregshead, Oct 25, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Weird pour. The bottom of my glass is a deep yellow while the top is a rich copper color. poured with a half finger of white head.

S: Kind of a tight nose on this. Hops are certainly there but I really cannot pick out anything in particular. Fairly clean malt profile as well.

T: Really quite balanced. It is a little hop forward but there is a ton of tea like malt. The hops are interesting in this beer. They are there the whole time but it really is not a hop bomb. Really interesting tasting beer.

M: Lacks the stickiness I like in my IPAs but it helps drinkability a little bit. Good carbonation.

D: A very interesting IPA. Sort of a cross between a west coast and east coast IPA. I only got the single bottle but it is a good IPA. One I would want to try on draft.

aerozeppl, Oct 16, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance is good. Dark tan golden color with almost no haziness.

Has a great smell of hops and citrus.

Taste is great. Lots of hops. Lots of citrus. A little lighter than I prefer for a IPA.

Very light bodied for and IPA but that makes it very easy to drink.

Lillenk, Oct 16, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Pours a thick tan orange color with an average head. It's hard to gauge the carbonation due to the thickness of the color and the sediment floating around. There was a ton of it. Unfiltered and not hiding that fact.

S- Floral hops and notes of citrus. Slight pine aroma. Caramel as well.

T- Hop bitterness instantly, and some sweetness as well. Has a really nice aftertaste that lasts well too. Definitive hops and a malt that keeps it balanced. Delivers the taste in a very smooth fashion as it all tastes smooth and easy. Before long, I found I had a great pine aftertaste in my mouth. Everything was quite balanced, and while it didn't offer the same initial hop kick that many beers have, it gives you a hop taste that develops after you've drank it.

M- Medium body. Considerably creamy, and the carbonation works well.

D- Great for an IPA. Goes down easy without lacking flavor. Leaves you with a great aftertaste. Not gonna give you a hop "bite", but it will deliver tons of hops in a smooth fashion.

BBP, Oct 08, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to Jayli for this one.

Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours 2 and 1/2 fingers of frothy head. Color is orange and copper - slightly hazy until I poured the sediment from the bottom of the bottle. Abundant lacing.

S: Hops are light - floral and pine. Fairly present sweet caramel malts.

T: Crisp, light, and bitter - all good things except this one tastes almost a little watered down to me. Soft citrus and floral flavors, with a faint, sweet malts backbone.

M: Moderate carbonation. A little thin on body, this one just felt a little watery to me.

D: This one had so much potential from the start, but just fell short in body for me. Easily drinkable and sessionable, but the body and feel just wasn't there.

kirkpjr, Oct 08, 2010

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A - Pours a surprisingly hazy golden orange with some reddish tones. A one finger high head fades into a film as a small bit of lacing dots around the glass.

S - Sweet fruity hops and malt with citrus.

T - Plenty of juicy hops with fruit character to start. The citric qualities break through with notes of oranges and grapefruit. A slightly sweet malt base carries through towards the finish. Wraps up with some lingering hoppiness and dry bite.

M - Bubbly up front, fuller medium body, some dryness towards the end.

D - The lower alcohol helps, as well as the tasty flavors. A pretty smooth IPA.

Pretty solid, well rounded beer in each aspect. Another one I wish we had in NJ.

xnicknj, Oct 08, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

So I was at the liquor store and I decided I'd stray from my beloved Two Hearted. You've been warned, I've got my baby in the back of my mind ;)

Appearance: Pouring the beer it looks EXCELLENT. It looks thick, cloudy, lots of stuff floating around, etc. The head looks good from the pour, but it dissipated pretty quickly which disappointed a bit. I'm a huge fan of lacing which this beer seemed to lack.

Smell: Good stuff, I didn't notice much but I'll be honest and say my allergies are pretty damn ripe right about now mid-autumn.

Taste: It's got a good bite. Not impressed but not let down. I can't really explain, but I'd like it to be a hint sweeter, or a ton more bitter. The hops just seemed *empty* if that even makes any sense at this point...

Mouthfeel: EXCELLENT. Quite thick, yet not syrupy, just as the appearance would suggest.

Drinkability: Yeah, I could kick back six of these and it would be a pretty good night...

Overall I think the appearance and the mouthfeel of this beer are the highlights.

andrewsporter, Oct 06, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Presentation: From a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic. Thanks to beveritt for passing this one along to help feed the disease.

A- Hazy amber. Pours with ~1 finger of off-white head, which fades gradually to a thin cap.

S- Full of piney, grapefruit hopiness, with bits of caramel sweetness sneaking through.

T- Solid pine resin/citrus peel notes provide a nice bitterness, backed by a surprisingly balancing, sweet caramel malt counter-punch. Really nice.

M- Moderate carbonation and a medium-slightly full feel. Creamy...quite excellent.

D- Very good. An overall winner....was quite sad to have only one on hand...wanted another when it was gone.

Future outlook: I loved their huge barleywine and their potent DIPA....the George Harrison tune that runs through my head every time I have their products notwithstanding, I must add this to the list of Dark Horse products that demand my repeat business.

DoctorDog, Oct 03, 2010