Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Weird pour. The bottom of my glass is a deep yellow while the top is a rich copper color. poured with a half finger of white head.

S: Kind of a tight nose on this. Hops are certainly there but I really cannot pick out anything in particular. Fairly clean malt profile as well.

T: Really quite balanced. It is a little hop forward but there is a ton of tea like malt. The hops are interesting in this beer. They are there the whole time but it really is not a hop bomb. Really interesting tasting beer.

M: Lacks the stickiness I like in my IPAs but it helps drinkability a little bit. Good carbonation.

D: A very interesting IPA. Sort of a cross between a west coast and east coast IPA. I only got the single bottle but it is a good IPA. One I would want to try on draft.

aerozeppl, Oct 16, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance is good. Dark tan golden color with almost no haziness.

Has a great smell of hops and citrus.

Taste is great. Lots of hops. Lots of citrus. A little lighter than I prefer for a IPA.

Very light bodied for and IPA but that makes it very easy to drink.

Lillenk, Oct 16, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Pours a thick tan orange color with an average head. It's hard to gauge the carbonation due to the thickness of the color and the sediment floating around. There was a ton of it. Unfiltered and not hiding that fact.

S- Floral hops and notes of citrus. Slight pine aroma. Caramel as well.

T- Hop bitterness instantly, and some sweetness as well. Has a really nice aftertaste that lasts well too. Definitive hops and a malt that keeps it balanced. Delivers the taste in a very smooth fashion as it all tastes smooth and easy. Before long, I found I had a great pine aftertaste in my mouth. Everything was quite balanced, and while it didn't offer the same initial hop kick that many beers have, it gives you a hop taste that develops after you've drank it.

M- Medium body. Considerably creamy, and the carbonation works well.

D- Great for an IPA. Goes down easy without lacking flavor. Leaves you with a great aftertaste. Not gonna give you a hop "bite", but it will deliver tons of hops in a smooth fashion.

BBP, Oct 08, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to Jayli for this one.

Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours 2 and 1/2 fingers of frothy head. Color is orange and copper - slightly hazy until I poured the sediment from the bottom of the bottle. Abundant lacing.

S: Hops are light - floral and pine. Fairly present sweet caramel malts.

T: Crisp, light, and bitter - all good things except this one tastes almost a little watered down to me. Soft citrus and floral flavors, with a faint, sweet malts backbone.

M: Moderate carbonation. A little thin on body, this one just felt a little watery to me.

D: This one had so much potential from the start, but just fell short in body for me. Easily drinkable and sessionable, but the body and feel just wasn't there.

kirkpjr, Oct 08, 2010

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A - Pours a surprisingly hazy golden orange with some reddish tones. A one finger high head fades into a film as a small bit of lacing dots around the glass.

S - Sweet fruity hops and malt with citrus.

T - Plenty of juicy hops with fruit character to start. The citric qualities break through with notes of oranges and grapefruit. A slightly sweet malt base carries through towards the finish. Wraps up with some lingering hoppiness and dry bite.

M - Bubbly up front, fuller medium body, some dryness towards the end.

D - The lower alcohol helps, as well as the tasty flavors. A pretty smooth IPA.

Pretty solid, well rounded beer in each aspect. Another one I wish we had in NJ.

xnicknj, Oct 08, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

So I was at the liquor store and I decided I'd stray from my beloved Two Hearted. You've been warned, I've got my baby in the back of my mind ;)

Appearance: Pouring the beer it looks EXCELLENT. It looks thick, cloudy, lots of stuff floating around, etc. The head looks good from the pour, but it dissipated pretty quickly which disappointed a bit. I'm a huge fan of lacing which this beer seemed to lack.

Smell: Good stuff, I didn't notice much but I'll be honest and say my allergies are pretty damn ripe right about now mid-autumn.

Taste: It's got a good bite. Not impressed but not let down. I can't really explain, but I'd like it to be a hint sweeter, or a ton more bitter. The hops just seemed *empty* if that even makes any sense at this point...

Mouthfeel: EXCELLENT. Quite thick, yet not syrupy, just as the appearance would suggest.

Drinkability: Yeah, I could kick back six of these and it would be a pretty good night...

Overall I think the appearance and the mouthfeel of this beer are the highlights.

andrewsporter, Oct 06, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Presentation: From a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic. Thanks to beveritt for passing this one along to help feed the disease.

A- Hazy amber. Pours with ~1 finger of off-white head, which fades gradually to a thin cap.

S- Full of piney, grapefruit hopiness, with bits of caramel sweetness sneaking through.

T- Solid pine resin/citrus peel notes provide a nice bitterness, backed by a surprisingly balancing, sweet caramel malt counter-punch. Really nice.

M- Moderate carbonation and a medium-slightly full feel. Creamy...quite excellent.

D- Very good. An overall winner....was quite sad to have only one on hand...wanted another when it was gone.

Future outlook: I loved their huge barleywine and their potent DIPA....the George Harrison tune that runs through my head every time I have their products notwithstanding, I must add this to the list of Dark Horse products that demand my repeat business.

DoctorDog, Oct 03, 2010
3.74/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bright yellow but sturdy pour, lots of foam that is super sticky. Aroma was bitter.

Taste, big bitterness, not so much hop exposure on this one. Doesn't seem to have any caramel presence to it, which is pretty close to being standard these days in an ipa. Super astringent grapefruit. Got easier to drink the more I had of it. Goes great with bratwurst. Definitely not a west coast ipa, just goes for bitterness. I can call it metallic, but its non offensive. Maybe mine was a little old, it definitely had some good size chunkeez in the bottle.

Overall, too much bitterness and yeast not offset by legitimate hop mouthfeel.

Beerandraiderfan, Oct 01, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a snifter.

4.5 A: Murky orange brown copper color. Two fingers of creamy head with excellent retention and tons of lacing. Reallly nice.

4.5 S: Really nice. Big hoppiness with tons of orange, pineapple, grapefruit, pine, and herbal aroma. However, this smells great because of what else is included in addition to the hops. Fairly strong caramel and the yeastiness works really well in this unfiltered brew.

3.5 T: This is tasty, but is a bit disappointing after experiencing the nose. The citrusy hops don't pop as strongly and the maltiness isn't quite as strong as I'd hoped. The yeastiness is still there in good amounts and would be fine if the other components were more powerful. Bitterness level is low for an IPA. Decent amount of orange flavor from hops. Malts are a bit bready with touches of caramel.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Good creaminess. Overall, good here.

4.0 D: I'm not sure how old this is. I imagine it's relatively fresh, but I really have no idea. It sat in my cellar for a month after being given to me as an extra in a trade (thanks!). Still, this is a good overall IPA, but the bottle conditioning does tend to cover up some of the hop flavor.

DavoleBomb, Oct 01, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

The beer is a murky yellowish brown color with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass. The aroma is heavy with a strong hops smell, along with some citrus and caramel notes. The taste is very well-balanced with a decent hops bitterness, citrus sweetness and caramelized malt. The hops flavor isn't as strong as the smell leads you to believe, but there's enough there to know you're drinking an American IPA, maintain the beer's balance and not over-power you with bitterness. The malt character is hearty. The after-taste is slightly hoppy with a little bit of sweetness. Very smooth with a little crispness, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish. Tasty, goes down very easy, not very filling, very good representation of style, what the beer lacks in aesthetics, it makes up for in drinkability. I could certainly drink a good number of these and stick with it for an evening.

Anthony1, Sep 28, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz bottle without a freshness date. Pours a hazed, dark gold color with a creamy cap of beige head. Foam stays around awhile and does leave some lacing behind.

Nose is earthy caramel with a bright blast of citric hops. Very biscuity and smells like this will be an IPA with a firm malt backbone.

Yup, lots of toffee and caramel sweetness with a bit of toast up front and then a coating, lingering hop bittering comes on strong. Some hop flavors, but not as much as I would like. Most notable to me is the dichotomy of the earthy malt base and the vibrant hop character, they play interestingly well off each other...kinda like saltwater taffy wrapped around a fresh hop cone. The more I drink it the more I like it...a little swirling knocks some of the carbonation out and gives it a smoother, hoppier mouthfeel. Good IPA here, would like to give it a go on tap next time I find myself up north.

twiggamortis420, Sep 25, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Had this one on tap at Smokey Bones today. Just the slightest haziness to this amber/orange brew with a finger of off-white head...colors probably appeared darker than actual due to low lighting. Super aroma consisting of grapefruit and pine. Very hop forward scent, which I'm a big fan of. As far as taste, the hops come across mostly as grapefruit rather than the pine that your nose told you to expect. This is seriously easy drinking and the bittery sweet finish paired perfectly with my smoked wings. Without question, I will have this again.

alkemy, Sep 25, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured to a two fingered thick bubbly head. Head was tan in color. Ale itsself was very hazy with lots of floaties, and light brown in color. Head hung around quite a while and had some good lacing. Smelled of caramel, also had a slight citrus pine smell. I thought the smell was kind of light. To me it tasted more of a Brown Ale. Had a bitter aftertaste. Also notes of pine, caramel, yeast and a slight citrus taste. I thought it also had a sweet flavor in there also. Felt good in the mouth. Carbonation was good. Id buy again. I just think it was nothing out of the ordinary. I expected more of a hoppy citrus taste and it wasnt there.

youngleo, Sep 18, 2010

Look,hazy gold,nice peppy head about 2 finger

Aroma...Hops lead the nose and as I expected Dark Horse's hop mix is a bit different from most yet still is IPA. There's the piney woods tone but also something herbal.

Flavor...As the nose warns,the taste is hops up front,a real flavorful hops,resiny,fresh tasting,sort of like in Yakima Twilight,for flavor if not intensity. The Malt bill is probably pale and some Caramel and mostly sings background to the Hops show. That's expected in an IPA and Crooked Tree does it nicely. I tend to favor a dark IPA with a bit more malt side but as Hop Happiness goes this is quite elegant. You get the sense they fussed a bit to get just the right hops.

Mouth Pretty good for an IPA. I don't expect chewy-creamy but having a sense of substance is a plus and this has it. The Hops aimed more for big flavor than big bitter,they linger ,then shut off after a minute or so.

Drinkable....If you are easily hop-stunned you probably avoid IPA,but this is not an extreme Hop hit,it's generally a primo IPA and IPA's by design are quite drinkable

That the ABV and price are moderate is another plus.

rembrant, Sep 09, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

On tap at Cambridge Common. Supposedly the keg kicked so we'll see how it goes...
A) Arrived with a finger thick head. Tight. Creamy. Hazy body - looks more like a Hegel than an IPA. Copper in color.
S) Citrus notes- grapefruit. Pinkeye like a Christmas tree.
T) Pretty bold hop bite upfront. The malts poke through just barely after the hops subside. Grapefruit. Subtle caramel. Towards the end malts fade out leaving a prominent bitterness on the tongue.
M) medium body. Fizzy but somewhat creamy.
D) Delicious. Pour me another barkeeper!

u2carew, Aug 28, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured this one into a pint glass. The pour is darker than I expected from an IPA. Dark orange and cloudy. The pour gives a thin white head and spotty lacing. The aroma is bitter through and through with hints of grass,citrus and an undertone of sweet malts. I'm really into the way this smells, especially since I don't know how old it is. The taste is bitter from start to finish with just a hint of juiciness. Not bad, but not very complex at all. The mouthfeel is thin and watery. I thought this looked heavier than it is. I'm typing this as I'm drinking it and I'm not sure that I'm going to finish. It's not the worst beer I've had but I liked the Double Crooked Tree a lot more and I've got other stuff I'm itching to have.

Bendurgin, Aug 26, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

A - A cloudy dark orange with yeast sediment suspened throughout. Half finger head fades after a couple of minutes to a thin layer of bubbles. Looks a lot like a DIPA.

S - Sweet citrus and pine hops jump out, very fruity with some malty characteristics. A touch of floral hints should be noted as well. Smells similar to the Double, but not as intense.

T - Taste follows the smell in this one. Pretty hoppy throughout, but honestly the malts kind of jump out at you. They combine to make a nice fruity characteristic that is amazingly refreshing and super well balanced.

M - It leaves a nice sweet crisp hop bitterness in the mouth, but this one is big bodied in my opinion for what it is.

D - Pretty good, but it drinks a little bigger than it is at 6%. I'll definitely have it again, but probably would rather have their Double Crooked Tree in the end. All in all, this is an IPA that should be tried if you have access to it.

Bonis, Aug 25, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a hazy orange that is almost amber. Nice lace along the top of the glass already.

Nose is full of citrus, pine, and fruity esters.

First sip is full of body and a complex malt bill. Plenty of hop bitterness to accentuate the loads of caramel sweetness. I am digging this maltiness. Pine lingers on the tongue but followed by a nice caramel note it is very easy to drink.

Terrific IPA! Another great one from the state of Michigan!

stewart124, Aug 23, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Very cloudy caramel, just a few shades lighter than its big brother: Double Crooked Tree. Small head that fades away quickly but leaves decent lacing.

S - Citric hops up front with a definite warm malt characteristic after the blast of hops. Pine and grassy earth are also prominent.

T - Resiny, earthy and very citrusy. Surprisingly well balanced while still showcasing the plethora of hop characteristics. A very pleasant level of bitterness.

M - The beginnings of something great. Leaves a very nice tingle on the back of the tongue and coats the mouth with piny hops.

D - Very very drinkable and reminds me quite a bit of the Double (supposedly just a doubling of this recipe). The balance of this beer is probably what leads the Double to be more of a barleywine than DIPA.

LiquidCucumber, Aug 20, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

A-Dark copper with a quickly diminishing bubbly head.

S-Pretty hoppy. Grapefruit, bubblegum, clementine.

T-Smooth with some pretty tasty flavors. Like the nose there are tastes of grapefruit, orange peel, and I'm definately getting a bubblegum taste in there as well. The taste is very nice but not very powerful. More complex than many IPAs I've had but not as strong.

M-More carbonated than expected. Nice medium body.

D-Very, very drinkable. A bit pricey in my area but well worth the fee.

VelvetExtract, Aug 18, 2010

bottle into a tulip glass.

pours a cloudy copper color with lots of yeast still in suspension. gives me a fluffy, off white, two finger head than eventually calms to a thin cap. big chunks of sticky lacing left behind.

smells more citrusy than most ipa's i have had. grapefruit of course, but lots of orange and lemon too. also has some grass and sweet malt.

has a toasty malt base that borders on nutty. massive hop character reveals itself with strong earthy/herbal notes and a sharp, piney bitterness that hangs on the back of the tongue. pretty well balanced.

medium body and just the right amount of co2.

goes down pretty easy, especially on a hot summer day. a solid beer all around and great example of the style.

divineaudio, Aug 16, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

There is nothing like cracking a beer at 6:00am!

I poured into a pint glass to one finger of off white head. It is amber colored. The aroma fruity, peach, pear, orange, grapefruit. The taste starts out with the seet fruits and finishes with grapefruit. The taste is somewhat subdued compared to the smell. I was hoping for more of a flavor explosion. This is a solid IPA. I would definately drink again. I look forward to trying the double.

buschbeer, Aug 15, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to grub for this one. Had it last night with my supper, Angus burgers & chips.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

Appearance: Huge head that (no kidding) fills half the glass before slowly receding and leaves lots of spidery lacing. Body is a good darkish yellow-brown and quite hazy.

Smell: Best feature for me. Resiny, intense fresh fruit mixed with malt. Sweet with some melon in there.

Taste: More conservative than the aroma. More fruit, melon & mango with a great deal of malt more than hops. There is an underlying bitterness though. Quite mellow and good.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, low bitterness and a medium body. Misses a little something but not sure what that is.

Drinkability: Easy enough to drink and i could have this again for sure.

Overall: A good IPA that relies more on the strength of the malt but the fresh fruit makes it quite enjoyable.

papat444, Aug 14, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance is on the amber side, with many orange and reddish hues coming through.

Can smell the citrus and hops right away. It smells really good.

Taste a hoppy at the beginning, but the citrus flavors quickly balance the hoppiness making this a well balanced beer.

Mouthfeel is slightly bitter at the beginning due to the hops, but at end are left with a clean fresh crispness at the end.

Goes down easily, could drink it easily as an anytime beer. I'll be buying this beer again and again.

king75, Aug 13, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a pretty golden-orange color that is slightly opaque and is topped by a small, creamy white head that leaves some decent lacing on the glass. Very nice, consistent carbonation. Aroma of light sweet fruit (peach, plum), pale malt, and sharp, floral hops.
Palate is a nice balance between sweet pale malt and floral, citrusy hops. Notes of sweet orange, peach, and honey, along with an underlying piny bitterness. Finish is a nice, lasting bitterness with some notes of stone fruit.
Mouthfeel is great - lively carbonation with just enough body to hold the assertive flavors. At the same time, it's a great vehicle for the vibrant, fresh hoppy flavors that predominate in this beer. Overall, very enjoyable, probably the most drinkable hoppy beer I've encountered from the middle of the country.

ElGordo, Aug 11, 2010