Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
thirdeye11

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to amietaj1 for the extra!!

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: The beer pours a beautiful orange/yellow color with 1 finger of head with large bubbles. Lacing on the glass is absolutely fantastic, one of the best I've seen.

S: Smells less piney than most IPAs I've had and I consider this to be a good thing since pine = bitter in my mind. The smell is predominantly of hops, slightly cirtusy, and just clean. I can't pick up any particular smells here. It's just good.

T: As far as taste goes this is one of the best IPAs I have had. It is hoppy in a great way and not bitter in the least. Extremely well balanced, possibly landing on the sweet side of things and I love it. If you're just getting into hops this would be a great place to start.

M: Absolutely perfect. The hop oils are in this one, it's just the right amount of carbonation, body is spot on and I don't think it could be improved.

D: Really very high. The bitterness is at a minimum, the ABV is not low but not too high to drink several.

If this beer was available in my area I have a feeling I'd have a 6-pack in my fridge at all times. In fact this one would replace Sierra Nevada for me I think. Really good, and highly recommended to IPA drinkers and people trying to get into hops alike.

04-30-2009 15:12:29 | More by thirdeye11
MacDomer

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Damn, this is one fine beer. I've had it several times, but tonight's bottle was super fresh and really hit the spot. Love the low ABV on this one - consumed in about 30minutes as I'm snacking on some pretzels and preparing for a meeting in the morning.

Orangey-brown pour, a handful of floaties from the bottom, and a nice light tan head. Not into my normal glasses, since they're dirty, but instead into an old school A-B weiss like glass. So sue me, it's better than plastic. The aroma doesn't bowl me over, but it's pretty damn good. Citrus, grapefruit, tropical fruits and a hint of light malts. Actually, it's really good, but not quite awesome. Taste is awesome. Bitter, but not too...citrusy, but not too...tropical, yes...and a nice hint of malt at the end. Yum. And pine! Subtle, but there as well. Mouthfeel - it coats nicely, medium body, just how I like it. Wishing I had another for drinkability's sake...

This beer rocks - a bit under-rated I'd think. I've been looking for a good go-to IPA and have been fond of many, but this really fits what I'm looking for right now.

Give this one a shot - you won't be disappointed.

04-29-2009 04:48:00 | More by MacDomer
BoitSansSoif

France

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

A-Apple juice-colored brew w/light 1-finger head and a little tracing. The body is hazy from matter in suspension.

S-Nice aroma of herbal, citrus, and pine w/an even toasted malt backbone.

T-Slightly sweet malt w/strong herbal hops and a little pine and citrus. The flavor is pleasant, but the finish is unsatisfying, w/the herbal hops dominating, and failing to cleanse the palate. The aftertaste is of sweet cereal/grain in the front of the mouth and on the sides of the tongue, and the back of the tongue is coated by bitter hop oils.

M-Carbonation is on the strong side and the overall balance is interestingly even, but not harmonious.

D-Throughout the drinking experience few of the components seem to come together to produce a result greater than the sum of the parts. Still, a decent IPA that is easily quaffed. This is my second Dark Horse candidate this week after a long absence, and I am overall impressed by their offerings.

04-25-2009 06:38:01 | More by BoitSansSoif
Thorpe429

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Orange-copper with some haze to it. Decent white head.

S: Good stuff going on here. Plenty of ctirus fruits from the hops.

T: Some malt, but this thing is dominated by the citrus hops, and I won't complain.

M: Medium body with good carbonation.

D: Very good right here. Dark Horse puts out some really solid brews, and this is a fantastic one to get started with.

04-24-2009 13:16:22 | More by Thorpe429
drpimento

Wisconsin

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Pretty decent brew. Poured with a nice head and some lace. Color is an amber on the dark side. Aroma is very hoppy with a little grapefruit and some muskiness, malty. Flavor is as described: on the dry side, hop bitter, very good carbonation. drinkable. Hoppy finish with almost no sweetness

04-22-2009 20:57:52 | More by drpimento
gibby

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Received a 12 oz bottle as an extra in my trade with abbdull. Thanks man.

My first dark horse beer and I have been looking forward to trying it. Pours a nice copper color with a 2 finger head. Some sediment floating around in there. Smelled predominantly like citrus, apple. Nice tasting beer, very carbonated. Very balanced IPA and quite an easy drinker. You get a nice bitterness from the hops but the malt backbone kicks in as well. Big lacing on the glass as the beers disappears into a memory. Nice offering from dark horse and recommended. I would like to try this again and I really want to try the double crooked tree. Cheers.

04-19-2009 22:01:08 | More by gibby
projectflam86

4.1/5  rDev +3%

A- Pours nice orange color with a big tan foam that leaves some nice lacing.

S- Very aromatic combination of citrus (grapefruit, orange peel) piney hop scents. A small amount of floral, spice and malt present as well but overpowered by the hops. The way an IPA should smell like.

T- Lots of piney grapefruit hops with a malt backbone adding for a balanced finish. Nice initial bitter flavor that evens out after a few seconds.

M- Medium bodied and a tad high in carbonation.

D- Overall a nice brew that holds its own among the others.

04-15-2009 02:42:30 | More by projectflam86
WJVII

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a pint glass this brew has a burnt orange color with a moderately creamy white head. There is a lot of noticeable floating sediments in the glass. The aroma of this brew is full of orange and wonderful bouquet of floral hops. There is a great taste of citrus and smooth balance of hops in the finish, which could actually be a little more bitter for my taste. It has been a while since I have had an IPA and man this is a good one. Need to make an effort to find some more of this caliber. Too bad I only have one from a variety pack because I could have a few of these!

04-14-2009 22:31:47 | More by WJVII
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass

2 Finger slightly pillow-topped head. Good retention leaving some lace. Color is a hazy sunset copper orange. Has sediments floating about, which is weird for an IPA.

Aroma is of floral hops, grapefruit, and a lot of citrus. A slight carmel aroma comes through as well.

Taste is obviously hoppy. Floral hops, grapefruit, and citrus. Just like the smell. Very slight bready malts. Typical, but solid IPA.

Mouthfeel is bitter, but then gets refreshingly smooth. Ends with a very dry aftertaste.

Overall, a staple of an IPA and a solid representation of the style. I really enjoyed this, but I just had a Furious and that happens to be the hands-down winner.

04-12-2009 00:39:56 | More by mothman
marcobrau

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

A very hazy orange IPA. Pours with plenty of carbonation that settles to thin layer leaving a good amount of lace behind. Great citrus (particularly tangerines) aroma. Fairy fat (full-bodied) and smooth with an orange marmalade hoppiness. The bitterness is very smooth and blends well with the caramel malts which lend this beer its color and some of its flavor. The finish is bitter, but also very fruity; almost Fruit Loops fruity. I must like fruity IPAs, because I like this one quite a bit.

04-11-2009 02:38:27 | More by marcobrau
brokenleadedcask

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

They started stocking this at my favorite retail joint. Disappointed they (Dark Horse) didn't have the ABV printed on the label or bottle, if it is, I missed it. Small tight bubbles capped this cloudy copper liquid in my Bell's pint glass. One of my favorite smells in the world, the fruity floral bouquet of an IPA. They definitely used one of the three C hops in this one, grapefruit and pine are representing. Nice smooth hop flavor not at all sharp like some, accompanied by a good malt backbone. Really looking forward to trying the Double crooked tree. At first, the carbonation tingles the back of the teeth and tip of the tongue. As it warms it's smooth as silk. Pleasantly drinkable, have to pick up a sixer of this one for cookouts and hot summer days

04-05-2009 22:22:32 | More by brokenleadedcask
jdskinns

3.78/5  rDev -5%

Cracked the bottle to a strong hoppy smell, very pleasant. Thick, frothy head and a slightly cloudy pour with floating sediment. Tan/orange in color. Decent taste, somewhat watery mouthfeel. Bitter taste towards the end, not overpowering or bad though. Could definitely sit around and drink a few of these no problem, but not one of my favorite IPA's.

04-05-2009 05:26:56 | More by jdskinns
mjl21

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Acquired in a trade with alleykatking.

12 ounce bottle poured into a sniffer. No bottling info or abv info is given.

A-Pours a very cloudy brown. Has a half finger off white head that goes fast, leaving foamy remnants scattered on the surface. Lots of yeast floating around.

S-Citrus at first, very much like fruit punch. Some pine and bready malt are in there

T-Citrus fruit punch and sweet malt, but not overly sweet. Get grapefruit bitterness along with an aspirin taste at the end.

M-Lighter bodied, creamy, and dry. Based on it's appearance I was expecting something that was syrupy.

D-Goes down easily due to the lighter body. Enough hop flavor to go for more.

Not a bad IPA. I would like to have some more bitterness, but I would not pass this up.

04-03-2009 06:09:23 | More by mjl21
brow1901

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

A- The of this beer remind me of a tree showing its fall colors. The color is mostly a hazy rusty amber but when held to the light it will show some light golden yellow. The head is bone white, starts out large and diminishes a bit but never leaves. On the way down it leaves sticky lacing on the glass.

S- Smells of obvious hops but its not too intense. But I smell lots of bread flour smells. So this brew smells more on the malty side (for an IPA at least). Also not so much on the bitter citrus side either.

T- Yeah lots of malt in this IPA, it is initially hidden by the bitter of the piney hops. But when I sip and keep it in my mouth for a second longer than normal I begin to taste more of the malt that I was smelling.

M- Mouth is ok, it is full bodied beer with lots of carbonation that makes it feel lighter. I don't really like the way the beer goes down the throat. It leaves the mouth wet and thick, its kinda unpleasnt but it's easy to forget about.

D- Crooked tree goes down really easily, not the best IPA but it's decent, better than lots.

And for just more than $8 this beer is a good value.

04-01-2009 03:30:50 | More by brow1901
dismal

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%

I've been putting off picking this one up but finally decided to give it a try. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a hazy orange very light copper color with a small one finger head. The head stays for a little while and leaves some nice lacing down the glass. The aroma is hops, citrus, and pine. The taste is hoppy and piney. Somewhat bitter especially in the aftertaste but it's not a bad thing. Overall not a bad IPA at all.

03-26-2009 18:41:19 | More by dismal
ThePeskyDingo

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

The seconds Dark Horse beer I am reviewing tonight.

Poured a dark amber color with a 1.5 finger pearl white head. Its a cloudy beer with some yeast sediments floating about. Small amounts of lacing on the sides of my glass.

Smell is a piney hop scent with some citrus notes in the background.

Taste is of hops and

Mouthfeel is of medium carbonation, a light body, and a clean finish.

Easy to drink, I really enjoy this beer.

03-26-2009 04:23:39 | More by ThePeskyDingo
UA8

Washington

A- Pours a hazy burnt orange with a thin off-white head.

S- Nose abounds with citrus and floral hops with jsut a hint of malts in the background.

T- Leads with bitter sweet citrus flavor, mid palate is pronounced with alcohol(which is surprising since the beer is only 6%). Finishes with bitter herbal hops.

M- This is nice and round with a well balanced carbonation.

D- I'm not exactly sure what it is about this IPA but I actually am quite fond of it. It lacks the balance of others that I really enjoy, but still manages to be very drinkable.

03-23-2009 01:51:03 | More by UA8
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Appears a heavily clouded copper hue with a nice off white light khaki head, dwindles slow and forms a nice collar of lacing with fine even streaks left behind after each sip. Aromatics offer up dominant citrus hop bursts blended with refined bready yeast characteristics with some earthy hop undertones. Flavor has a touch of alcohol upfront with a lingering herbal citrus peel harshness, quite abrasive yet remains balanced with enough malts to stand up to the hop bitterness. It stands alone as far as originality with the lack of caramel and although citrus hops are popping it really doesn't make me think of a straight up Bell's clone the way that Founders Centennial IPA does. I'm definitely a happy camper that this showed up for nine bucks a sixer right down the street from my house along side their amber. Medium bodied healthy dose of carbonation, brings on strong hop burps intermittently during the drinking experience. Drinkability is killer doesn't whack you with hops or anyone flavor beautiful aggressive yet tamed hop bitterness packed with flavor, I could drain a sixtel of this with a few friends in no time. Grab it by the keg if you can, if not a sixer will do if flying solo over the course of a good football game.

03-19-2009 04:39:58 | More by WVbeergeek
GatorBeerNerd

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz single purchased for me by a friend from Keg Liquors in Indiana. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip glass.

A: Pours an orange tinted very hazy brown color. It has a pillowy off-white head that is about a finger thick with excellent retention. The bubbles seem a little too large to stick to the glass much in the beginning, but after the head settles a bit, there are nice rings of lacing left behind. It is really a nice looking beer.

S: Citrus hop aromas dominate the nose. It really has a powerful fruity hop aroma. It seems to have a hint of pine aroma as well. I love hop dominated aromas. This one doesn't disappoint.

T: There is a nice caramel malt sweetness in the initial flavor. It is quickly washed away by loads of citrus hops. Matching the nose, there is a hint of pine bitterness as well. I really like IPAs with primarily citrus hop bitterness. Especially ones like this with enough malt to make it more than a one trick pony.

M: Nice and creamy from the carbonation with a medium body.

D: This one goes down very easy due to the creamy smoothness, low ABV, and slightly bitter finish. This is about as close to a session version of a real IPA that you can get.

03-17-2009 01:29:59 | More by GatorBeerNerd
popery

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks to deliriumfest for sending me this beer.

Tonight, this beer vies with a New Glarus Hop Hearty and Bell's Two Hearted for the title of best IPA of my recent trade. Sadly, this beer comes in third. It's not a bad IPA, but it lacks body and is unbalanced, in my humble opinion. There just isn't enough malt sweetness and body to hold up to the bitter hops. The hop flavor is a tad boring, as well, or possibly that's a related problem. The hops are bitterly citric, mostly, but there are some other notes lingering beneath the bitterness. The feel is a tad thin and astringent, not bad really but it's being compared to some pretty good competition. At any rate, there just isn't quite enough rich malt to stand up to the hops.

03-12-2009 05:19:16 | More by popery
John_M

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev +3%

Received this in a trade from Yetiman420. Thanks again Chris!

The beer pours a hazy orange color with decent head retention and lots of sticky lacing. I'm a bit surprised by the nose, which largely consists of overly sweet malt with just a hint of hoppy bitterness. Flavor on the palate genernally replicates the nose, with a lot of up front sweet malt, followed by a finish of dry hoppiness. It's OK, but it's not wowing me. Mouthfeel is fairly light and alcohol is pretty well disguised. Drinkability is decent, though I would wish for the hops to be a bit better intergrated withe the malt.

Received this in a trade and was advised to drink it soon, as it already had some bottle age on it. So perhaps this IPA was not in the very best shape. Hopefully I can revisit this IPA at some point, as I do believe Dark Horse beers are now available in SEPA.

Edit: The review above was from the bottle. Recently, I had a chance to try this beer fresh on tap and the difference was noticeable. The beer had a much more spicey, perfumy nose, and it was considerably drier and hoppier on the palate. The beer was also much crisper, and drinkability was exceptional.

This beer was a good beer out of the bottle, but on tap it's excellent. Hope I get to try it again soon.

03-09-2009 20:33:59 | More by John_M
deereless

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Loads of thick frothy head on a hearty pour, lots of lacing around the edge of the glass, quite a bit of sediment, brown with a hint of orange visible - 4.50, S: Hops dominate, more of a bubblegum aroma than the citrus and pine I'm used to in American IPAs, very pleasant and earthy aromas - 4.50, T: Though hops take the front bill Crooked Tree has a solid malt base which nicely balances this beer, grapefruit on the palate, slight nuttiness - 4.00, M: Mildly creamy - 3.75, D: A very solid beer, if I had easier access to Crooked Tree I would definitely drink more of it. As a hophead it is always nice to find beers like this one - 4.25

03-05-2009 02:06:49 | More by deereless
Jablonski

Louisiana

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark honey color with a decent sized head. The sediment was visible at the bottom and floating in the beer.

S: Smells of piney hops and citrus.

T: Tastes a bit like I'm drinking a pine tree. The sweetness in the malts brings out the pine taste in this beer a little too much.

M: Solid thickness and decent carbonation.

D: It's a solid beer, but not the best IPA.

03-05-2009 00:34:32 | More by Jablonski
jasonjlewis

3.78/5  rDev -5%

pours a 1.5 finger head with good lacing.
smell is mildly hoppy and nice. I like excessive hoppiness.
dry but with a crystal malt sweetness. its a bit hot and bitter with some hop bitterness.
a little hot, but this a pretty good ipa
thanks to beubie for the sample

03-02-2009 00:38:06 | More by jasonjlewis
BeefTongue

Missouri

3.13/5  rDev -21.4%

On the pour, a slow one at that, the head rose thick and foamy to the brim requiring a stop in pouring to prevent overflowing. After waiting a while for the head to settle emptying the rest of the bottle, the beer in glass shone a cloudy orange-amber color when held to light. A great deal of particulate yeast sediment stirred up during the pouring contributed to the cloudiness and gave a less than appealing look- like cloudy hot cider. However, the scent was nice; a mildly sweet, generously hoppy floral aroma, which raised hopes for tasting. The first sip was, unfortunately for the taste buds, uneventful. Flavor was general, nothing outstanding, but decently drinkable. Ditto on the mouthfeel and finish. To the tongue it's an ok American IPA, after the gulp it's as if taking a drink from a pasteurized American light lager- you don't get too much afterward. Also, the yeast sediment at the bottom, for those who aren't particularly partial, is gratuitous and detracts significantly from the drinking experience after the first half of the glass is gone. Not bad, but there are better.

02-28-2009 07:11:25 | More by BeefTongue