Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPADark Horse Crooked Tree IPA

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: xlperro on 08-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 890 | Hads: 2,994
4.18/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy dark orange with a short living white head, just some poor lacing and a few bubbly specks linger.
Smell of pine and grapefruit, leafy green, a tiny bit dank. Caramel and nice biscuit malt. Really faint tropical notes, mostly just pine and biscuit (old bottle, again?!).
Nice bittersweet citrus start, rich with the stuff, lots of orange, lime, grapefruit, juice, peel, pulp and all that. Just a bit of peach and mango. Slightly sweet biscuity malts, not enough to punch through the citrus crispness. Pine seals the deal, grass, spicy leafiness, nice dry bitter hop finish.
Medium body, somewhat thick and unfiltered, medium carbonation. A great deal of hops in the aftertaste, green, bitter, with just some citrus peel.
A generously hopped IPA, compensating on the lack of complexity, but that might also be on me (bottle could be old, can't find any dates on it). Nice. (875 characters)

Very nice, well balanced IPA that I have been able to enjoy on draft and out of the bottle. Very drinkable, full hop flavor with nice malt backbone. Slightly sweet after taste...not at all offensive. Dark Horse is great and this is a nice staple. Salute. (258 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

Well hopped, but also malty. very drinkable, with a well balanced mix of flavors,maybe added spice but not overly spiced, more like a nice mellow citrus and pine, with a sweet tea after taste. (192 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

I'm a huge fan of Double Crooked Tree -- I've got 16 bottles in my cellar. So I'm unhappily surprised not to like this very much.

My rating reflects my respect for the flavors in here. I recognize the quality offering that it is. It's just not hitting me where I live.

There's a vegetal must that's not jibing with what I want in an IPA. Perhaps that's the malt bill, which, in Double Crooked Tree presents as a syrupy sweetness. But here it comes off as a (467 characters)

I wanted to try this beer because the Alstom Bros gave it a 100 point rating. What I am discovering is that while their ratings are directionally correct they are massively faulty. Not that this isn't a good beer, it is. But look at their ratings, and how they stack with others and I am quite sure you will come to the same conclusion.

But...let's talk about Dark Horse Crooked Tree. This is a damn fine beverage. I am quite accustomed to west coast IPA's, very familiar with what is in the midwest and south and tried many on the east coast as well.

I do like this beer, and in my taste test of several 100 point Alstom Bros IPA rated beers including Victory, Anderson Valley, Smuttynose, Ballast Point Sculpin...this one was #2 behind Sculpin. I mentioned in a earlier review that I like Victory Hop Devil a lot and I do...on tap, in the bottle test it was not as good as this one. Smuttynose is waayyy overrated. Decent, but forgettable.

The Dark Horse is very good. It is a clean taste, but if there is any criticism it would be that the hops tend to be a bit metallic and cling to the front of your mouth and do not have a full bodied finish. It does carry a lot of citrus and reminds me a bit of Sun King Osiris, but not quite as good. This beer is hop forward, has a great nose, good color and pour, but does not have the dynamite finish a beer that the "bros" rate as a 100 should have. I wonder how they could rate this as perfect, because...while good....is not near perfect. Better than Anderson Valley and Hop Devil, but behind Two Hearted, Sun King,Dogfish and Lagunitas. (1,624 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aroma= all fruit, orange aroma, mango
Look - marmalade, hazy, looks like an Arnold Palmer, Gorgeous, whip cream foam with nice lacing
Taste - bright fruit, mango, citrus with a clean, crisp hop finish
Mouth Feel - front carbonation, smooth with dry finish
Overall: Yum. Refreshing, smooth balanced. Will get this again for sure. (328 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look - poured into a pint glass with a slight white head that went away fairly quick. Golden Amber hazy color with great lacing.
Smell - floral citrus hoppy scent with a hint of malts.
Taste - floral citrus hop taste with a great toasty malt backbone and a bitter taste on the tongue.
Feel - great medium carbonation with a crisp medium body.
Overall - fantastic well balanced ipa. (382 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

First attempt at a formal review

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass, limbo ipa glass to be precise
A: Copper, dark bronze, very hazy almost non translucent with a thin head, very little lacing left on glass
S: Fruity and tropical, mango, citrus, and floral
T: Strong fruity and floral hops with hints of pine and malt, ending with slightly bitter and lingering fruit aftertaste
M: Slight carbonation, dry
O: Very excellent single ipa, I have tried more then should have in the past month or so. Very drinkable low abv at 6.5, perfect blend of hop character with floral notes and slight bitter kick, enjoyed very much, first I've had from Dark Horse, can't wait to try what else they have to offer. (704 characters)

Crooked Tree pours a cloudy bronze color, with a small lacing head. There is a nice floral aroma. The taste is balanced, but still has a nice hoppy bite. Very very drinkable, very smooth, yet still very flavorful. Overall it's easy to drink and favorable. (259 characters)

A simply beautiful IPA. Pours a uniquely orange-copper color with a two finger head that fades to a nice frothy cap which lasts throughout. Each sip renews the cap. Slight carbonation that lasts for the duration. Flavor matures as it sits in the glass. Wonderful aroma that isn't overdone as some IPAs can be. Not too floral. I've had some IPAs that are killer as far as taste goes but are nearly ruined by the floral aroma. Almost smells sugary without tasting as such. A little malty with a hint of caramel. Flavor stays on the back of the tongue but doesn't ruin the palate. Few IPAs are better and/or more balanced than this one. Very reminiscent of its sister beer, Double Crooked Tree, but not such a kick in the ass. Definitely one to have two or three of without feeling guilty. Can't find anything negative to say about this guy. Highly recommend. (871 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

A nice earthly IPA with a heavy malty balance with herbal hops.

A - Deep old fashioned burnt orange, haziness, creamy heard
S - piney resin hops with a dark malt nose without being roasted. Not really inspiring but here goes nothing
T - Big sweet and nutty malt character hits of pine and a bit of the dirty hops & slightly citrus
M - Medium body and a well rounded lasting mouth feel
O - I had this with a Vietnamese noodle, sweet/sour/hot sauce and stir fried pork was one of the best pairings I have ever had. It was great and really opened the beer up. (561 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On edit:

My original review is below. I thought I might have had an old bottle and hoped to re-visit this one.

My update is as follows: appearance is basically the same; aroma was much better - earthy, with citrus undertones and a bit of caramel in the background; there was a lot more flavor this time - follows the nose; mouthfeel is the same; overall, not one of my favorites, but at least now I can see why others are so high on it;

My original review:

I wish my bottle tasted as good as other reviewers notes indicate. I presume my bottle was old and the hops had faded. I have to go out of state to get it, so it may be a while, but I'll re-review when I can.

A: cloudy; a deep bronze; 1 finger off white head that receded slowly to a thick cap; really nice lacing;

S: muted; a little flora. a little tropical fruit, and a little pine; hard to distinguish; I can see how this would be really nice if there was more of it;

T: follows the nose; difficult to get anything specific; moderate bitterness from mid-palate through the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: the potential was there, it just didn't come out; (1,146 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%

Very good beer, mellow on the front with pine on the back. Pours a pink grapefruit juice pink/orange color. Not as much body as I like, but very good. (152 characters)

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a hazy, copper coloring, with a steady flow of carbonation throughout, and a filmy, clingy, white head. Aromas of citrus and tropical fruit forward, with pineapple, grapefruit, and melon, with a sugary sweet caramel backbone, and subtle resinous undertones. The flavors are like a tropical fruit salad forward, with pineapple, apricot, mango, and melon, followed by a tart grapefruit character, and a solid undertone of cedar and pine pitch, pepper spice, a tangy caramel note, some hops resin, and roasted notes. Smooth and mid-bodied, with the carbonation lightening things up a bit. The aftertaste is a bit more of the bitter and resinous hops character shining through, with some of the fruit sweetness handing around still. Slick, dry, bitter lingering finish. Solid IPA. (835 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

yes. it's that good.

Just tapped at the local bar I work at here in Swannanoa, NC. Minus the insanely stupid tap handle we have (a double barrel shotgun), this beer is just amazing. Perfect orange hue, very bright finish and not overly bitter for an IPA. Easy to drink, and hard to quit. Kudos to Dark Horse for this gem of a beer. (332 characters)

I'm insulted the "pros" gave this an 89! Makes me really question the ratings here.

Anyways, this is by far my favorite beer and I've tried hundreds of craft beers. The smell is so amazing I cant even describe. In fact just try it for yourself. Great beer!! (260 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +26.6%

Picked up in Detroit.

A: Orangish hue with about a finger of toffee color lacing with retaining head. Amazing.

S: Pine cones, needles, and trees. A wilderness smell.

T: Pines, earth, clean water, and alcohol. Exactly how I like my IPA

M: A creamy, full mouthfeel. This is a heavy IPA that still has a middling alcohol volume.

I am picky on IPA, but like a piney, and not overhopped, brew. This is as perfect a brew as I've seen at any price. (449 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice lacing with a dark amber orange hue. Unique smell in which an orange comes to forefront. Quite balanced lacking a big hop taste. Can taste fruit more than hop. Not overly bitter. Quite smooth for an IPA. As I drink more a malty taste comes out, and fruitiness disappears. Overall a well balanced IPA, but not as good as I was expecting. (341 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours an amber orange with a finger of near white head. Strong retention and fantastic lacing.

S - orange, grapefruit, pears, apple, sweet fruit and less citrusy/bitter. some sweet malts too.

T - Surprisingly bitter (considering the aroma), definitely a ton of pear type flavors and some apple as well. Rindy/sticky resinous qualities and a decent heft of caramel sweetness. Dry/slightly bitter finish and aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied, appropriate carbonation, sits a tad thick/sticky on the tongue. (507 characters)

I know it's not kosher to rate a beer a perfect 5, but I have no other choice! This, to me, is the perfect beer! It has a great citrus/piney beginning with a perfectly malty backbone that slides down the back of your tongue until your stomach is in a euphoric state! This IPA is the ultimate IPA and if you haven't tried it, you are truly missing out! I don't know if there is a brewery with a more well rounded selection of beers! (431 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured very dark and cloudy. A brick color orange against the light bulb but in the natural light like a hazy brown. Off white creamy head that fell slowly and left lace. Nose is faint and first thing I did was look for a date on the bottle. There wasn't one so they sold it me and I am going to review it. I got a flash of some citrus. Pink grapefruit and some lemon peel. I am smelling the very small and luscious beginings of caramel and just a bit of dry biscuit. Seems to me that the hops have faded off because i have to really dive in for the nose. Taste is malt forward. Biscuit and lovely biscuit with a bit of dryness a bit of sweetness. Not really any fruit on the palate but just some remnants of the hop character. Just enough to tease a bit and make you wish it was fresh. I thought I tasted some orange, very light orange. A small bitter and malt. Dry sweet biscuit with a hint at caramel. the malt was lovely. No pine, not really any grapefruit on the palate just a juiciness. Mouthfeel was light enough and soft. I want it again when it is fresh and reserve the right to revisit. (1,096 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Dark copper orange, almost bronze, with a slight haziness, moderate head in the pour reduces to a thin but complete white film that delivers pretty massive lacing.

S - Mostly lemon and pine - crisp and clean, but somewhat quiet overall. A subtle note of honey, as well. Overall, the nose is much like a honey lemon throat lozenge, but the most delicious one you've ever had. Initial thought is this could go either way.

T - While the flavor follows the nose, there is not much quiet here. Big hop hits of pine, lemon zest and pith, and a sweet, malty honey core. Lush, almost buttery feel, but with a strong bitter close keeps things snappy.

M - Moderate carbonation and mild drying.

O - A good choice for the hophead aiming to drink a couple down without getting trashed. There are big hop flavors, a nice malt counterpoint, and a reasonable, but not sessionable, ABV. (877 characters)

3.94/5  rDev 0%

Pours nice amber color from 12oz. bottle. Dated 4-22-14. Good mouthfeel.
Nose is decent with good but not strong hop aroma mixed with malt sweetness. Finishes with good amount of bitterness that lingers on the tongue. Good lace all the way down to bottom of glass.This is what I would think of a great representation of a traditional American IPA. (348 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -26.4%

I've been pretty partial to IPA for quite sometime. This one, however, hit the palate quite flat. The initial draw rewards the tongue with the briskness that an IPA has, but the mid-palate and finish is let down by a disappointing sour.

The color was also a disappointment; it poured a darker amber than any IPA I've seen and attribute the taste differences with other IPAs with the color changes.

All in all, simply, I wouldn't buy it again for what I paid for it. It's 'drinkable,' but once it's out of my fridge it will not be returning. (543 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bought a single of this at a local Meijer and it has a date of 4-24-14..so its a little over 2 months old at this point.

A - Produced a hazy deep copper beer with a one finger white head with great lacing that died down relatively fast.

S - Nice orange hops, citrus, floral, crackery. Not to complex or strong, could use a little more aroma.

T - Real bitter, cracker, lemon zest, grassy, lingering bitterness, bready. I wish it was more balanced because the malts are being hidden from the bitterness and the hops. Comes across as slightly astringent.

M - Medium bodied and soft in the mouth, with a lower level of carbonation.

O - I love IPA's but for whatever reason the high bitterness and the lack of great tasting hops is not doing it for me, it taste to lemon forward and astringent. I will not be picking anymore of these up, sorry Dark Horse I love most of your beers but not this one, Cheers. (911 characters)

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company