Dark Horse Amber Ale - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Amber AleDark Horse Amber Ale

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 08-10-2002)
1.08/5  rDev -68.7%

Ikilbride, Sep 12, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -63.8%

Randent, Aug 03, 2014
1.4/5  rDev -59.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

A: 1 finger of head with a dark amber color; the foam clings to the glass and it has good head retention.

S: Smells clovy with a sort of tart cider aroma - reminds me of a draft cider.

T: Cider taste with little to no hops; this beer tastes artificial on the finish and is very mild. Pear-like taste of a witbier is also unfortunately pleasant. This mixture doesn't work well and tastes bad.

M: Semi-smooth, but not great.

D: Hard to drink.

This is the only Dark Horse beer I've had that I didn't like; it is the worst amber ale I've had unfortunately. Just buy Lucky 13 from Lagunitas instead.

jt31914, Oct 26, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -56.5%

Filabee, Apr 05, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -49.3%

nas4atu, May 25, 2012
1.9/5  rDev -44.9%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a snifter.

Color is a hazy amber, glowing copper when held to light. 1 finger creamy white head. Leaving a thin layer of retention and spotty bubbles.
Any lace quickly slides back down into the beer.

Aroma is a burnt pine, some grassy hops, sawdust, resiny hops. Bitter in aroma, no sweetness detected at the nose.

Moderate carbonation up front, sweet malty flavors. Orange peel and a large overhwlming amount of ginger. Not a fan of this.
Mouthfeel is thin and watery. The bitter burnt pine wood flavors and more then generous amounts of ginger are enough to turn me off from buying this again.

Will skip in the future.

Buebie, Nov 14, 2008

Zonian1, Oct 21, 2012

RyanBeer13, Dec 18, 2011

I very much did not like this beer. It was a hazy reddish copper with next to no head. Sweet smell with notes of bubblegum (yech!)

First tangy esthery note with a bit of yeast coming in along with some crystal sweetness and more bubblegum. Hops ride along the top of this beer popping their head in before the yeast and after the bubblegum. Not what I exected, but now I know that this is brewed with a belgian yeast strain. Doesn't help knowing that, this didn't taste good to me, the combination of the tangy esthers and bubblegum did not work well IMO!

Moderate to light body with almost no carbonation. Yuck.

sopor, Nov 13, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured a thick orange brown color. Nose is fruity and sweet but soured. Taste is medium bodied, fuity, astringent and sour. Mouthfeel is full but harsh. Nothing about this is drinkable in my eyes.Maybe I got a bad batch or a bad bottle. Who knows. I would try another one.

barleywinefiend, Jul 11, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -32.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a hazy amber color with very little head and carbonation.

S - I get hops, pepper and spices, I don't get much malts at all. Smells very different than any Amber I have had but still smells good.

T - I get some of the spices and hops but tastes very watered down, really disappointing.

M - Straight Water!

D - This is just bad beer, I have been disappointed with most of the Dark Horse beers I've had and this is no exception. This might be the worst of the bunch.

semibaked, Mar 31, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 ounce brown bottle with no freshness date on label.

Poured cold from the fridge a cloudy amber with small chunks on the bottom. Uh oh, I'm afraid this one sat too long on the shelf. Having not seen comparable reviews on BA, I am going to review it like I see it. Head rentenion is brief and the small head that appeared shortly was chunky and tan with mixed bubble sizes.

Smell is a bit musty and almost sour, like grapes or other vined fruits. I do get faint hints of sweet malts in the mix, as well.

Amber? This almost tastes like a sour-style beer to me. I get a wide range of odd flavors with a strange, belgium candied sweets essence on the forefront. I get a mix of sweet malts and lightly sour grapes, as well.

The mouthfeel is of low carbonation and slick. The beer is medium bodied with medium flavor.

I didn't care for this one.

beachbum1975, Jul 24, 2009

detroitpat, May 30, 2014

david18, Dec 29, 2013

MikeCactusGordon, Jul 24, 2014

PA-Michigander, Dec 24, 2013

fullmoonbeer, Jun 13, 2013

NvMyBeer, Dec 21, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -26.7%

The beer comes out an amber orange flow with not much head. Just some spit in the center of the pond and a partial ring are left in the aftermath. A few drunken carbon dioxide bubbles make their way up. Not much fiz.

The smell is fruity. I smell white grape and apple. Mostly vinous characters with a mild bready malt quality. Not much strength from the nose.

The taste is utterly bland. I am unsure there is even a flavour up front. All I get is an abnormally dense water impression followed by a slightly sweet and sour finish. When I say slightly, I mean nearly nonexistant. First of all if this is a Belgian, so am I. This is a tasteless amber ale all the way. We need an update on this brew.

The mouthfeel is round and medium despite the fact that it has minimal flavour. This is a strange duck all around.

Drinkability, not much satisfaction here. I cannot see a reason to drink another one of these sour water beverages.

SupaCelt, Jul 17, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -24.6%

Appears a semi clouded caramel amber hue with a light cream colored head dwindles rather quickly leaving a thin collar of lacing with minimal patches sticking to the sides of my glassware. Aromatics are tame with dominant caramel malts and a touch of lingering metallic natured elements, carbonation prickles the nose but really doesn't give off an actual aroma. Flavors jump out with some cloyingly sweet sensations of apple juice with a touch of unwelcomed acidity. Way too one dimensional and malt driven I can't really even mention hops it tastes sort of like unfermented wort, with pineapple juice and some other tropical nectars adding to the sugar content. Mouthfeel is a touch sticky with residuals, pass me another version definitely a trainwreck on the palate. Carbonation is overly fizzy and seems un natural for me. Drinkability overall wasn't offended it just was way too sweet for me, kick up the hops just a tad and I could see this working. I will try another bottle to make sure it wasn't a carbonation issue.

WVbeergeek, Mar 21, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -23.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass.

Appearance: Dark cloudy brownish-orange with no head or lacing. Just looks kind of stagnant. Hopefully, it will get better from here.

Smell: Sweet toasted malty bread, light Belgian aroma with slight banana.

Taste: Heavily toasted malts, with dark fruit and cherry. The Belgian aroma I detected doesn't make itself known in the taste besides for maybe some light clove. Very medicinal and metallic at the end.

Feel: Seems kind of flat and spritzy at the same time. Light body with off-dry finish.

Drinkability: Just a strange beer overall. Not a fan, especially with that atrocious medicinal aftertaste. Seems like I may have gotten a bad bottle, but many others comment on the murky look with no head.

bsp77, Jun 22, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -23.2%

Yeast floaty filled off orange in color. A soda pop head fizzes up and quickly dissapears. I smell some orange peal but mostly belgian yeast notes. This beer is a weird combination of a lot of things and it just dosn't work. Taste is malty but also has belgian spice notes. Mouthfeel is thin. Very high carbonation level. Phenol aftertaste. Not one I will go back too, not even sure I'll finish this one. The other dark horse beers I had were solid offerings so this one was an unpleasant surprise.

beermanbrian, Dec 26, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. Poured a cloudy amber color with a thin bubbly white head. Very little retention to the head and also didn't leave any lacing on the glass as I drank it.

The aroma has a lot of spicy and yeasty tones to it. It has a bit of banana to it with some cloves coming through. It almost smells like a Belgian beer. It does have some toasted and caramel malt coming through helping it to fit with the style I was expecting a little.

The taste is like the nose in that the spicy, fruity, yeastiness seems to dominate. I'm getting a lot of cloves coming through in the taste along with some apple cider characteristics. A bit of the malt I expected comes through but it's really hidden behind all the yeasty flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability isn't good, it wasn't anything I expect from an amber ale. It tasted almost like a Belgian cider if such a thing existed. Some of the toasty and caramely malt comes through but not enough in my opinion for the style.

billab914, May 16, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -22.3%

Slightly cloudy copper color with a barely existent off-white head. Couldn't build a head even by forcing the beer into the glass.

Fresh sweet roasted malts in the nose. Faint spice mingled with a touch of sourness.

Flavors are mildly roasted and gristy with (again) some faint dry sourness, and that's about it. Flavors are there and gone right after the swallow.

Mouthfeel is light and watery. Carbonation is minimal. Very short lived finish.

Drinkability is OK. Very non intrusive, but very unexciting also.

Overall this is the limpest of all the Dark Horse beers I've tried to date. This beer tasted flat. Has potential, but I won't be buying another to find out if it's get better. Not at all reflective of the great work Dark Horse is currently doing - weird.

malty, Jul 17, 2005