Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout Ale - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout Ale
No picture.

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Mitchster on 08-15-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 412 | Hads: 1,002
4.95/5  rDev +30.6%

pours super dark brown (almost black) with a big chocolatey head. the nose is chocolate, deep dark malts, subtle sweet vanilla. the taste is chocolate, deap roasty malts, some wood, subtle sweet vanilla. full bodied, medium carbo. very delicious and complex beer!

4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

A: Pours jet black with a chocolate colored head. The two fingers of froth quickly fade to a bubbly blanket, covering this velvety beauty. No light is able to penetrate the body.

S: Caramel, molasses, and heaps of chocolate compose this rich aroma.

T: Taste follows the nose, with all of the aforementioned flavors, with extra emphasis on the chocolate. Sweet, but not cloying.

M: Full body, creamy, and velvety. This is definitely the body of an oatmeal stout, and plays well off of the rich personality of this ale.

D: Definitely worth a try, especially if you like your stouts chocolatey.

4.79/5  rDev +26.4%

A - Pours a heavy, leady dark black. No head at all. Creepily absent of any head at all.

S - Divine. Dark chocolate, purely. And hell.

T - Wow. This is a robust beer and it's all heavy dark chocolate. This isn't at all milky. It's just pure dark chocolate in a beer. This is a beer for 1800s alcoholic frontiersman.

M - Thick bodied. Heavy. Chewy. Great.

D - Wow. I don't know how this has such low ratings. This seems like it should be an A+ in my book. A heavy, truthful chocolatey stout. It doesn't get much better than this. Founders Breakfast is the only one in this vein that I've tried that does what this beer is attempting any better. This is a great beer. Will be getting this again. Excellence.

4.71/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I finally found an oatmeal stout that rivals The Poet from New Holland. This has an exceptionally clean finish and a great flavor. Unfortunately, I can't find it close to me but I did find it in Traverse City, MI and I'm glad I did. I'm saving a couple bottles from my 4 pack to let friends try it. I never have a fridge without Poet in it but if I am able to find One Oatmeal Stout nearby, I will make sure that it fills any potential void. Great flavor, great mouthfeel and overall a fantastic brew from Dark Horse!

4.67/5  rDev +23.2%

This had a second label sort of awkwardly glued over another and a tad wrinkled. Dark Horse labels are black on white,pen and ind drawings, making me think of home brew...but don't underestimate these guys,this is the second Dark Horse Stout varaint I tried and they are no lightweights.

Looks- Pretty...in a Stout way, Motor oil with a modesrt head that turns to just a ring of mocha froth,and some heavy lacing.

Aroma- Big Robust malts,black cherry,Brandy and just a hint of coffee.

Taste- A BIG swoosh of silky malts with that trace of black Cherry and a bit of coffee., then,SHAZAM, it shifts the hops step up from just a counterbalance and replicate a coffee with a bit of cream and brown sugar that's quite true and lasting.Good show. I did a 12 oz bottle in 3 pours and each was a bit different until the Braby seemed to quite vanish and chocolate tones appeared.

I recently reviewed Anderson Valley's fine Oatmeal Stout, Barney Flats, and in it I tasted both raw and toasted oats...no cherry. Here, the Oats hide, but probably add body,silkiness and enhance the malts. I can't figure that dark cherry tang or how they captured such a true coffee burst without tossing cherries and coffee into the batch. I do love a brew that creates such illusions.

Mouth- Ample fullness. If you take a slug before the foam settles you get a bit of fizz. Either way, it's complex with lingering flavors

Drinkable? I want another. NOW...dammit !

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a nearly black body with hints of mahogany red and a dirty brown head which quickly fell to a ring. Leaves minimal lacing.

Deep roasted malts and slightly sweet. Has hints of coffee, chocolate and alcohol.

Great deep roasted malts, coffee and chocolate with a little smokiness and alcohol. The finish is a little dry and slightly bitter. Very well balanced.

Heavy bodied and smooth with light carbonation.

Great brew with all the right highlights and balance.

One of the best oatmeals I've had the pleasure to try.

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This stout kicks ass. Really. Though it lacks pretty much any head whatsoever (and I mean, basically NO HEAD), it is a mesmerizingly pleasing deep caramel/nearly black color. And the aroma, oh boy! A treat in itself! Caramel, chocolate, here I come! The only thing this was a bit weak in was the mouthfeel, but only in comparison to other Oatmeal Stouts--it was surprisingly light for it's type. This is simply one of my favorite Oatmeal Stouts.

4.56/5  rDev +20.3%

Ho boy, this is one tasty beer. Poured with smallish burnt sugar colored head that mostly subsided and no lace. Color is an opaque brownish black. Aroma is very rich, roasty, malty, sweet, cocoa, hint of coffee, hints of vanilla, caramel, burnt sugar, and toffee. Flavor's about the same also with nut skins, Good body and carbonation. Finish is like flavor and fairly long. Just a hint of alcohol at the end. Very nice beer. Could be a session for slow drinking. Would go great with very rich powerful foods like game, dark meat fowl, and spicey sausages.

4.55/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was served lightly chilled in an Imperial Nonic.

Appearance: The beer is black. Did I mention its blacker than black. No ruby opaqueness to light. The head was quarter inch high the color of nugget. The lacing was a thick oily smear down the side of my glass. A bit more head and this would be perfect.

Smell: The beer delivers an excellent stout aroma to my nose. The aromas wafting out of my glass are dark roasted espresso, smoke, and the subdued aroma of chocolate. Hops arent a big player in this beer and thats not a problem.

Taste: This beer delivers everything I love about stouts. There is a layer of smoked, roasted and charred coffee. We aint talking that Starbucks bullshit either. The chocolatey sweetness is well balanced with the chared flavors.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The mouthfeel is fairly full. A bit of creamyness is noted to the moughfeel. The flavors linger in my mouth for a long time. This is dam near perfect. The only negative thing about this beer was I drank it too fast.

4.54/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Alright been drinking this beer for a while, I have a 2011 bottle,2010, and the latest batch. Let's do it.

Poured in a Orval glass and Gulden Draak glass.

A- The aged little to no head, the newest about finger. Dark and thick. mocha head and lacing.

S-Newest lots of oats, dark dark roasted malt, little coffee, a little nutty. aged- chocolate, dark dried fruit, vanilla. Aged smells much better. mostly malt though.

T- New- Roasted coffee, some hops, lots of dark malts, a hint of choco. Aged-A very creamy chocolate the that is vague in potency. Coffe, no coffee bitterness though. really smooth. Man the beer hits you it not really big but full of flavor, then backs out a just sits and relaxes on your tongue with big choco and coffee, so mouth watery too, this beer ages so well.

m-medium body plenty of carbonation. aged- kinda think but goes down so well, no carbo, just mellow and smooth.

One of my fav. beers to age changes a little but 1 1/2-2 years this beer is fantastic. I usually try to buy a case drink some and then age some. good stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours pitch black with a pillowy, creamy brown head. Retention is great, and fluffy clumps of lacing form rings down the glass.

S: Layered chocolate: baker's chocolate, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, brownie, and fudge sauce. Plum and raspberry esters. Starchy oats envelope all of this. Very pleasing nose.

T: Black raspberry and prune with a molasses backing on the attack. Deep espresso tastes and starchy oats kick in mid-palate. Touch of cola underneath. Rich tastes of dark chocolate, hot fudge sauce, and brownie come through later. Very slight nutty/woody tastes. Underlying hints of citric and earthy hops. Blissfully long finish of layered chocolate flavors, starchy oat, and a hint of smoke.

M: Medium bodied, but very fluffy, full, and creamy in the mouth with a slight oily/chewy texture. Moderate carbonation. Great mouthfeel.

O: Bravo, encore! I love a good oatmeal stout, and this one is right up there with the best of the style. Near perfection. A little over-the-top with the roasted malts, but that's right up my alley. I really wish I had bought more than just a single bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Served from 12 oz. bottle:

A: Not much head to speak of; black as night stout color - looks syrupy in the same way many imperials would.

S: Smells of oatmeal and a faint hint of alcohol; very pleasant smell.

T: Strong oatmeal on the palate with a smooth finish - slight char flavor on the finish. Very rich, robust, and smooth.

M: Best mouthfeel I've ever had in a stout; smooth and refreshing

D: Very drinkable stout.

Overall this is the best oatmeal stout I've had; great aftertaste, and I immediately wanted another bottle after I finished this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

Bonus bottle from amishland. Thanks!

This beer is quite thick and very fizzy. A crackling head erupts and fades quickly. Solid jet black, motor oil looks. Head is minimal. Smell is powerful! Tons of well roasted grain sweetness and some booziness. Great smell, very strong. Taste is powerful as well, dark roasted grains and amazing oat smoothness, lots of strong coffee and earth tastes. Just the right finishing tastes of very dark malts, bitter coffee and a slight alcohol warming.

Wow, what an amazing oatmeal stout! Dirty roasted, earthen tastes, perfect oat smoothness and chewiness. Almost no hops explicitly present, just tons and tons of hearty roasted malts. Delicious, fantastic beer.

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

Working my way through the winter stouts, 3 down 2 to go!

Pour is pitch black like the others in the series. Theres a small caramel head.

A cloyingly sweet smell fills the air around you. It still smells sweet, but theres a coffee roasted malt presence that I really like. The sweet smell that is somewhat reminiscent of brown sugar or sweet cookies.

Its much sweeter than the other oatmeal stouts, yet theres more roasty malt. Burnt coffee, black chocolate, and sweet cream. Its alot like a cappucino stout in ways. Espresso roast beans are first up, then theres a bit of dark chocolate in the middle, and finishes even more bitter. I think the oatmeal gives it a thicker body.

Feels slightly creamy, but overall leaves a nice roasty presence late. reminiscent of dark roasted coffee. Best Oatmeal Stout that I've had.

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

Fully black appearance, with a 1/4 " creamy tan head, slowly dying bubbles.

Aroma: nice. Roasted, but redolent with sweet, creamy malt, light hops, very toasty, ripe, and rich.

Taste: Mmmm, more of that sweet thing in my mouth, the tastily roasted, caramel, coffee and cocoa melange that sets my tastebuds singing. Expansive flavor, fills the bill for the style, and then some. Floods the mouth, spills and spreads deliciousness. Slight fruit, from the malt, and it only ups the ante on the tastiness. Molasses creeps into the flavor profile, thick and rich as blackstrap.

One of the best oatmeal stouts I've had in a long time! Full-bodied, long, slightly bitter finish, fullness of flavor. Rich, gritty, earthy...hits all the earmarks I've got for the style!

Good job!

And thanks to trbeer!

4.46/5  rDev +17.7%

A_Pours black, jet black with a smallish coffee hued head. This diminishes quickly and settles into a small brown cap. Lacing is non existant. God I hope spring is here, I am running out of adjectives to describe stouts.

S_Rich sweet creamy coffee wafts out of the glass. A bit of raw grain is there as well to intermingle with its' roasted cousin.

T_Just as I thought I was in dark beer overload, this one actually throws a few kinks into the plan. Very smooth oatmeal flavour coming through the freshly brewed cup of coffee. This just screams breakfast to me. Some hints of licorice, vanilla and baker's chocolate as well. Finish has notes of grassy hops. A rich earthy tone reveals itself as the beer warms.

M_Chewy and rich like a proper Oatmeal Stout should be. Despite the lack of head there is a good carbonation which cuts through the liquid which could be construed as cloying otherwise.

D_Was not expecting to like this one as much as I did. From the full winter of stout overload to the mediocre appearence, I just was not expecting much. This is just a really nice stout, which is hitting the spot.

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a massively thick black motor oil color with a 1 finger dark tan head. A bit of lacing was left on the glass.

S- Nice dark maple syrup, chocolate, cream, molasses, ginger snap cookies. A slight hint of booze in the nose, but nothing cloying.

T- Starts off with a semi-sweet chocolate with ample creaminess, quite a bit of coffee notes, and roasted grains. Smore's come to mind after the initial sip. After that, the beer takes a turn towards straight bakers chocolate, being quite dry and astringent. Nice.

M- Very little carbonation, nice thick feel, good dry chocolate finish.

D- Not sure on the ABV on this but I'd guess 6%. Quite a nice drinkable and semi-complex Oatmeal stout.

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

A - So dark that no light could pass through. A beautiful dark tan one and a half finger small bubble head that dissipated quickly.

S - Smelled of oatmeal and coffee with a hint of chocolate.

T - It stated with oatmeal and finished with coffee. I enjoyed the balance.

M - Smooth and creamy. The carbonation level was great.

D - I thought when looking at the beer that after one I would be done. After the first I just wanted another one and the cycle continued.

I loved this beer.

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

A- Pitch black with a small dark orange head. Settles to a thin head. This thing required a hard pour. Dark as the darkest of 'em.

S- Very roasty with some coffee and chocolate. Nothing to knock your socks off, but very good.

T- Wow. Lots of coffee and chocolate. Oatmeal, raisin, brown sugar, vanilla, smokiness. There is a lot going on here. No taste of any alcohol.

M- Awesome. Creamy and smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation. Not hard on the palate at all.

D- Very well done. Too bad I don't know the ABV on this- but I could definitely feel it. I am really going to be getting this again.

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is very dark, black even, with a tiny brown head that quickly dissipates into the black abyss, leaving a micro-ring around the edge of the glass. Smell is very enjoyable and defined, semi-sweet chocolate, burnt coffee and perhaps a hint of vanilla. The taste is much the same, with the charred coffee flavor coming to the forefront, but it is well balanced by the slight sweetness of the oatmeal and finishes very smooth. I read from another BAs report that this has 8% and I believe it, but I can't taste it. Well done. The mouthfeel is great; viscous and creamy, incredibly smooth. This is a very drinkable and enjoyable oatmeal stout, I will have to make a point to pick up the others in the series (which I was previously unaware of).

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%

2012 poured into an Intuition pint glass

A:pours a beautiful opaque black with a deep mocha colored head that is gorgeous....only issue I had was the head disappearing too quickly..little rentention.

S: Smells like oats, sweet chocolate, vanilla, raisins, ROASTY TOASTY

T: Tastes alot more like a milk stout, oatmeal flavor is slight, the chocolate is great and the sweetness is really dialed back from the smell. Milk chocolate is present with alot more smooth vanilla notes over a winter bonfire flame.

M: Solid mouthfeel, little chewy, dry aftertaste

O: This is one of my top 3 oatmeal/milk stouts I've ever tasted. I acquired it in a trade and am going to assume that Dark Horse went back to the drawing board over the past few years and changed it up. Its soooo smooth and the balance is uncanny. I am going to trade for this again..and soon.

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%

Oreo cookie black with a hint of dark caramel at the edges. Even the brightest sunlight fails to bring highlights out of this black hole of a stout. The head is a firm, tight, two fingers of foam that resembles a molasses-filled sponge. I don't care about the relative lack of lace, One is a good looking stout.

The nose is pretty wonderful as well. It's mega roasted malty with aromas of charred coffee beans and dark chocolate. The lack of any discernable hoppiness in a beer of this sort has never bothered me because it's all about the malt. I think I'm gonna like this one.

My first Dark Horse beer is a good One. This may just be the richest, darkest oatmeal stout that has ever entered my mouth. It comes close to American double stout territory without quite making it across the border. Each mouthful is further proof that only good things can happen when a brewer uses a generous amount of generously roasted barley.

Like the nose, the flavor profile is roughly equal parts bittersweet chocolate and black coffee. I might even detect a hint of vanilla in there as well. I also love the fact that the sweetness of the malt sugars are perfectly balanced by the bitterness of the hops (or perhaps it's the bitter char from the malt). Either way, this stuff is some kind of delicious.

I like my stout mouthfeels stouter than most. This one is just right. It's full enough and creamy enough to please the mouth and tongue and to provide for a great deal of flavor linger. Again, double stouts have nothing to worry about, but it's more than adequate for the task at hand. Incidently, the 8.0% ABV is buried with consummate skill.

I've been looking for Dark Horse beer for some time now and was lucky enough to run across the entire Holiday Stout Series several days ago. If One is any indication of the quality that I can expect from Too, Tres and Fore, then it will be all I can do to restrain myself from drinking them all today.

4.4/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pleasantly surprised with how thick and dark this was. Pours out to a jet black with an oily thickness, forming a dark cocoa powder head with average retention and minimal lacing. Aroma is huge...black roasted grains, vanilla, espresso, black walnut, semisweet dark chocolate, distant smoke, wood and a strong suggestion of bourbon...in that order. Mouthfeel is smooth with a dense body and ample viscosity. Carbonation is moderate. Taste is much the same, starting with mild herbal flavor hops, completely pounded into oblivion by tons of chewy, very roasted malts...syrupy with an earthy bitterness and roasted astringency in the finish...everlasting cocoa, bourbon, and wood in the aftertaste. A dry wiff of alcohol alerts you to it's presence, but isn't intrusive. Otherwise cleanly fermented. The bitterness is mild to moderate and lightly earthy...most of the bitterness is from the heavily roasted malts.

Not quite up there with Kalamazoo in sheer drinkability, but a very good "monster-of-a-stout" worth searching for. This is one heck of a beast but is easy to drink and oh-so-smooth. Highly recommended. A meal in itself.

4.39/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours thick and black with a thin brown head that leaves little lace.

Wonderful roasted aroma of coffee and dark chocolate. Oats are present, as are hints of charcoal and toast.

Like the aroma the flavor is heavy on the roastiness. Lots of coffee and dark chocolate, and a hint of burnt wood. Oatmeal peeks in to round out all the roast, and adds a very nice smoothness. An underlying sweetness is present and becomes more prominent in the finish.

Full bodied, silky-smooth and creamy. Alcohol only shows as a welcome warmth. Goes down easy and is finished too soon. A delicious oatmeal stout for morning, noon, or night.

4.39/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours extremely dark black, engine oil. Brown head. The head could be bigger and have more retention, but it smells of amazing dark chocolate. Taste is chocolate, very smooth from oats, a little sweetness, and some spicyness from the hops, and I think there is a little roastyness behind all that...
This beer is fantastic