Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout Ale - Dark Horse Brewing Company

poor

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 08-15-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout Ale Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from last year (2010-2011), enjoyed 23 Feb 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours nearly black, very dark brown at edges, with a one-finger coffee brown (quite dark) head. Head fades fast, leaves a bit of lacing but not much.

Smell is a lovely mix of coffee and chocolate, with some molasses and oaty sweetness. Great complexity and variety - lots of subtle dark aromas playing off each other.

Taste is more roasty, and rather thin, with some burnt coffee bitterness coming through in the finish. I still get molasses and coffee, but not so much chocolate, and only a faint hit of oats. I don't like the bitter finish - it feels heavy-handed on a rather under-flavored beer.

Body is quite nice - full in the mouth, with an oaty slickness, and perfect medium carbonation. Silky finish.

A nice oatmeal stout, brought down by the lack of balance in the taste. The heavy bitter over-roasted malt flavor isn't something I like, and it really drags down what would otherwise be a very impressive beer.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

12 oz beer was poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The beer poured a one finger mocha head that has reduced to a thin layer and left some lacing on the glass. Pitch black with no signs of carbonation coming up the side of the glass.

Smell: vanilla, oats, bready malts, mocha, maple syrup, dark fruits, and some raosted notes towards the end.

Taste: All of the above and slight hint of smokiness at the end. Blended really well.

Mouthfeel: full bodied, low to medium carbonation, slightly dry, a little chewy, smooth, slightly smoky, easy to drink, and a little thin/watery on the palate.

Overall: Another nice compliment to the oatmeal stout style. Will be enjoying more of these in the future and hopefully on draft too.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

3.08/5  rDev -17.9%

One of the darkest beers I have ever poured ... deep black ... but that's where the excitement ends for me. I hardly get any smell, even after burying my nose in the tulip glass. The taste is quite mundane. There is a rather nondescript roasted flavor and slight hop bitterness but that's it.

1.95/5  rDev -48%

A: Pitch black. The head is super dark and frothy.

S: Raiseny. Oaty. Malty balls. Rum cake. ALCOHOLY. Toast.

T: Ummm no. Smoke. Raisens. Burnt fruit.

M: The taste, oh the taste..

O: No more please. What a let down from the look and smell.

thanks redliner8??

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

12 ouncer from late '11/early '12

Vigorous pour was not the best idea. Sludgy black liquid glunked into my pint glass, overflowing with a brown thick head of great height. That head's still there. Looks gloopy and heavy and delicious. This is one dark brew

Raw oats, very bitter cocoa, roasted malts, and some leather compose a simple nose. Some suggestions of coffee (of a char-roast, black nature) are also evident. Smells dry and roasty. This could be a great re-visiting. For an oatmeal stout, it smells pretty enticing (not to say that oatmeal stouts are univiting).

Black licorice, deep roastiness, smoke/char, bitter coffee grounds, and hints of cocoa powder. Dusty and chalky; there's some sweetness lingering from the malts, however. Slightly tangy aftertaste is bright, but a little strange. There's traces of fruit flavors amidst the blackness; they're dark fruits, akin to cherry, blackberry, and plum. Bitterness levels are medium, not crazy like some examples.

This feels a little thin for how it looked going into the glass. The carbonation is also subdued. Not much happening on the tongue for this one. Pretty average feel for a medium-bodied oatmeal stout. The alcohol isn't overpowering, which cancels out a lot of my gripes.

I'm a big fan of Dark Horse stouts, and the first in the series (One) is a hit. I'd recommend giving this one a try.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet. Thanks to chpueblo22 for this and three other Dark Horse stouts. I figured I'd start with One, since now I have the whole series.

Appearance - Jet black. Inky. I couldn't even see if I was pouring sediment. Small khaki head that reduces to only wisps.

Smell - Dominated by bitter chocolate and coffee. Very roasty. Might even be a hint of booze in it.

Taste - Dark malts through and through. Bitter chocolate and bitter coffee. A strong bitterness in the finish that isn't really offensive, but intense. It's tough to tell what's malt bitterness and what's hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation. Slightly boozy, even at 8%. Extremely bitter at points. If I don't think about it, it isn't bad, but the instant I notice it, it becomes a bit much.

Overall - A nice oatmeal stout. Not really remarkable, but solid. I enjoy really roasty stouts like this, but there isn't much that distinguishes it from others in the same category. That said, I wouldn't turn down another.

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a Stone Imperial glass. Just about as all light sucking as you can get. The edges don't give much light either. Head was a quick rising halve finger and light cocoa colored. The head dissipates rapidly and leaves little to no lace.

Smell is dark roasted malts and charred wood. There is some chocolate too. None of these flavors are very overpowering though. It kind of smells thin.

Taste is similar to the smell. I think the sweet chocolate taste is first and then followed by the char I smelled. That char is more like dark roasted coffee beans in the taste. This is all followed by some ash and some bitterness. At 8% I am not getting any alcohol. Quite nice.

Mouth is smooth and carbonation is light to creamy. Body is full but balanced and the finish is average to long and wet.

Overall I think this is a pretty smoky or roasted and not sweet enough for the style but I did enjoy this. Pick one up if given the chance. Thanks to McNuts for this extra.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

$2.19 Single from Blue Max, Burnsville, MN
Bottle to Mug

A: An Opaque Black with short brown head, adequate carbonation.

S: Mocha, Roasted Malts, Chocolate.

T: Surprisingly light and drinkable when considering it's pure blackness. otherwise follows it's smell.

M: Soft, little carbonation bite.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

Another brew my man Kiddwhiz hooked up. My man. He hooked up 2, I put one down without thinking. Thought I should review the second before it's gone! We don't get these in Colorado.

Poured from a 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A - Pours a deep deep brown/black color with a huge 2.5 finger head with a rich creamy dark tan/brown head with very good retention though mild lacing.

S - Solid coffee and roasted malt/coffee malt aroma.

T/M - A very solid roasted coffee/chocolate malt flavor upftont. The beer transitioned nicely to a creamy almost vanilla middle while finishing with a slightly bitter finish. A little variety on the Oatmeal Stout.

D - Very very drinkable.

Overall, this is a solid, albeit strong Oatmeal Stout. For a style dominated by a smaller profile this represents itself well. Complex yet smooth and enjoyable. Should you find yourself in area I'd pick one up ;)

Reviewed on: 01-25-2011 03:24:34

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

tried tonight courtesy of the NOOB BIF in the BIF forums and BA Jmagnus87:

Pours a dark knight of oil into a pint glass. Lacing is for naught. Head tottaly absent. This beer is dank and dangerous. Taste is rich from the oats and malt profile. Any hops were an afterthought in this beer. It mocks me with a 6" monolith of darkness in my pint glass. Taste is of wet malt goodness with subdued smoke and a hint of peat and mineral. Slick and wet throughout with amost no carbonation. Overall pretty good and solid.

4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

A - Such a deep black colored stout. I love the dark mocha head that has some great lacing.

S - Smells of a smooth stout with nice levels of mocha, chocolate, and roasted coffee notes.

T - I believe this might be the best beer out of the (4) series. Smooth chocolate malts next to mild roast and a nice balanced oat finish. I also like how it has some hops in the finish but not enough to make it a black IPA. Balanced.

M - Medium bodied for sure but smooth and creamy.

Overall I am glad I picked up a second of these and maybe even might go back for a four pack if supplies last. A very solid oatmeal stout.

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect pint glass. Liquid portion comes out dark, like black soil colored. Some slight highlights at the top of the beer up by the head. Dark brown head that erupted to the top after a fairly hard pour, had to take a couple breaks getting the whole bottle out. Really good looking beer.

Smell is really good. Huge malt backbone here. Very generous amounts of roasted malted barley. Bitter chocolate and hints of coffee. Surprisingly there are generous notes of earthy and piney hops. Nice and well balanced despite a lot going on.

Flavor profile has a lot going on. Very malty here, fresh black coffee and somewhat bittersweet (mostly bitter) chocolate and a little smokey. To balance out the bitterness there's sort of a natural sugar flavor to it as well that's subtly blended in; very nice. Again there's a hop presence, you can tell this is a respectably hopped Oatmeal Stout, at least in my opinion, I've read a few conflicting reviews.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the mouthfeel and drinkability. Body is much thinner than I expected, but I guess the carbonation level is ok. No real bite from the alcohol, even though it's high for the style. Strong bitter finish, far stronger than it needs to be. Not all that pleasant which brings down the drinkability. Too bad, I really thought this beer was going somewhere special until the mouthfeel. Still a good beer from a great brewery in my opinion. But I do feel spoiled when it comes to oatmeal stouts having Ipswich almost always fresh and ready to be consumed. Glad to have finally given it a try though. I'll certainly be going back for more.

Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout Ale from Dark Horse Brewing Company