1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5thDark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Russian Imperial Stout aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 07-25-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,570 | Reviews: 288 | Show All Ratings:
rembrant

On tap at The Comet---

Looks...I expected the barrel version of a favorite big stout to be special...that's why I drove cross town eagar to blow my beer budget.

The first goblet looked like blackness,anticipation,and motor oil,with a few bubles on top that only briefly tried to make a head. By the second pour,all thoughts of Quaker State or Valvoline were gone. I saw the blackness of the universe 30 sec before the big bang,I saw pure bliss in a glass and in my hands...so...I upped the score a bit.

Aromas- Coffee,Molasses,Dark fruit galore,a subtle but clean bourbon whiff.

Taste ....Oh my,Oh my my. The signature Dark Horse malts,amped up for the base Plead 5 with an elegant maze of dark chocolates,dark toffeee,and espresso that dance about,stepping up then back and joining in a roasty stout chorus. The Bourbon is done just exactly so. It neither hides nor dominates, it's like a great bass line in a song,well defined and somehow not getting in the way of the beerness.
Dark Horse has quite a knack for getting flavors to work discreet and distinct yet simultaneously with a seamless flow and blend. Things ebb and flow and it all is done so well.

Here,the Bourbon and barrel play their part, the potent ABV lurks like a subsonic energy,warming but never raw. It's so nicely ASSEMBLED....it makes me wonder how they orchestrated this stuff.

Mouth Spot on. A little stickiness on the lips,but it's good. The carbonation never calls attention....in a lack or an excess. It has good life but no fizzy. The finish is long and elegant with a smooth bitersweet mocha-espresso,sparks of fruit notes and on the other channel,the bourbon and hints of the wood,the oak and a touch of vanilla and char.

Drinkable....I had 3.if I had the money and someone to cart me home,I'd have sucked down more until I became a grinning fool.

the only beers I can compare are KBS and CBS. This better displays the Bourbon,does BA beyond my best hopes.

Since Stout is my main beer and Bourbon my main liquor...this is heaven.

Note...When first done I understand Plead was around 14% abv,but so in could be exported to Ohio (etc) that got lowered to about 13% or a bit less...likewise for Double Crooked Tree.

12-11-2010 03:20:29 | More by rembrant
indytdmiller

Indiana

Was fortunate enough to have this beer on tap at the brewery for St. Paddy's Day (my one and only beer, so read on with confidence). Plead the Fifth is in my opinion one of the best imperial stouts out there, including all of the barrel-aged beers. So when I saw that they were pulling out a Bourbon barrel-aged version, I jumped at the opportunity to try it!

Appearance
Black (surprise) with a tan head that did not linger too long. nice lacing.

Aroma
Dark chocolates, coffee roastiness, BOURBON, vanilla.

Taste
That delicious Plead the Fifth base (Roasted coffee, and bitter chocolate) with a great dose of vanilla and bourbon with that oaky finish. Really good!

Mouthfeel
Nice and heavy, but not so much that you feel like you need to chew. Carries the flavors well. Nicely lightly carbonated and the perfect temp.

Overall
This may be the best beer I have had the opportunity to taste, especially when you consider that it was this year's release and would more than likely get even better with another year or two!

03-27-2012 15:14:55 | More by indytdmiller
thebigredone

Wisconsin

Finding this beer on tap the one time I stopped by Dark Horse on a random April day completely made my vacation.

I'll skip to overall impressions. This will be the barrel aged stout by which I judge all other barrel aged stouts, and they will all fall short. This beer was perfect, a fantastic blend of bourbon and dark chocolatey stout, with a thick, creamy mouthfeel. I honestly don't think it could be improved upon. 5 out of 5. Well done Dark Horse, I tip my hat to you.

08-08-2012 00:03:32 | More by thebigredone
MikeyMikee

Served in a snifter at fridge temp..

Thanks to cosmicevan for the bottle

This is an amazing looking beer.. Jet black with a dark, dark brown head.
It literally smells like a combo of milk and dark chocolate.. With a hint of a marshmellow-ly sweetness that is complimented with a subtle ethanol/bourbon combo.

This beer, tastes and feels like you are taking a bite out of a half melted bar of chocolate that has been infused with a little bourbon.. Perfectly balanced, perfectly carbonated.. Viscous and chewy.

And 14%? What a joke, easily the smoothest BA imperial stout I've ever had.

I give this beer a perfect score.. And because of this beer.. I am revisiting my past reviews and downgrading any beer that I have previously given a 5, for no beer deserves a 5 in comparison to this beer.. Regardless of style.

Flawless brew

12-17-2012 06:38:57 | More by MikeyMikee
Pete27lax

2012 Vintage, big thanks to Cosmicevan for gifting this bottle to me at a tasting!

Pours a straight black with minimal head. The small head that does form is a perfect deep brown, really awesome appearance. Spots of lacing around the glass.

Smell is sweet chocolate! Like you're smelling melted chocolate, really enjoyable. Dark and milk chocolate with bourbon bringing it together perfectly.

Taste is PHENOMENAL , all the characteristics to look for in a stout. Mainly taken over by sweet chocolate, slight roasted notes toward the tail end and the bourbon hitting the palate perfectly. The balance here is really remarkable, the way the traditional stout flavors tie together so well with the barrel aging. Can't say enough about how enjoyable this is.

Mouthfeel is just what I look for in a stout. Just the right amount of viscosity and stickiness. coating the palate and so smooth for a barrel aged beer. I love barrel aged beers but I have never had one that is this easy and smooth to sip on. The fact that this beer is 14% abv is just unbelievable, not a trace of alcohol heat.

So I think I've found my benchmark for barrel aged stouts. Just can't find a flaw in this beer. Such a fantastic balance and everything else is just outstanding. Best stout by a mile and my second perfect 5.

12-17-2012 06:48:47 | More by Pete27lax
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.99/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into my trusty pint glass. Dark brown to black color. Tastes of caramel and chocolate. The strong taste left me wanting more and more. The smell of Chocolate always means and wonderful tasting beer. Dark Horse has out done themselves with this one. One of the best this company has.

04-22-2013 17:45:47 | More by yuenglingfan101
kmatlack

4.98/5  rDev +9.5%

A huge thanks to my man Kgristoff for supplying me with this unbelievable beer. Poured from a bottle into my finest snifter. Vintage 2011.

P- A black viscous liquid glugs out of the bottle throwing up milk chocolate colored bubbles that don't stick around for too long, but leave a nice lacing of bubbles along the edges.

S- Its hard for me to try and describe to you the complexity of the aroma. This is absolutely incredible. Im just going to name off the aromas as they come to me. Smooth buttery bourbon, chocolate, black licorice, charred wood, super dark roasted malts, little bit of booze, oak, bakers chocolate, butterscotch, caramel, burnt marshmallows, smokiness.

T- Follows the nose well. Front end is sweet on the tongue with a lot of bourbon and chocolate. The smokiness of the wood char comes in strong mid palate for me as the sweetness fades. On the back end there is a profound bourbon and chocolate presence mixed with a lasting fudge aftertaste. Fucking incredible.

M- I served at cellar temp so it wasn't super thick but thick enough to impress me. Great carbonation, a little boozy but, hey...its still young.

O- This is bar none the best imperial stout I've had to date. Would i go so far as to say this is the best beer I've ever had? In this moment, yes, but it could change tomorrow. EVERYTHING is so well balanced here that i can't think of another imperial stout to dethrone this beast. Goddamn Dark Horse, bravo....bravo.

02-25-2012 06:17:10 | More by kmatlack
NorthsideFred

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

I had this phenomenal beer on tap, in a snifter, at Local Option. A tip of the cap to Jim, probably one of the most knowledgeable bartenders in Chicago.

A - Pours pitch black with a creamy tan head. Decent retention and nice lacing.

S - Smells wonderful. The first thing you smell is the chocolate, wow. Also some roasted malts, vanilla, and of course bourbon, but the bourbon is very subtle.

T - Damn! This is sooo good! The taste is rich chocolatey goodness. It is so damn smooth. Not hot at all, which is amazing for 14% ABV.

M - This is full bodied, with a rich creamy, silky smooth feel. Almost like chocolate milk.

D - This is eminently drinkable. I sucked two down, and would love another if I had the time and money.

This is an incredible beer. I almost question the accuracy of the ABV: 14%? Really? WOW!

09-15-2010 17:10:33 | More by NorthsideFred
punkrkr27

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

Sampled at the '10 Michigan Brewers Guild Summer Beer Festival. Jet black pour with a small, loose, off-white head. Smoky, rich bourbon, tons of dark fruit, raw cacao and massive dark roast coffee. There's a nice little whiskey kick at the end too. Creamy, oily, full body with soft carbonation. What a huge beer with incredible balance and layered flavors!

01-12-2011 17:49:26 | More by punkrkr27
RedSpecial1

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

I had this at a local beer bar. It had very little head, and even that didn't stick around very long; there was also very little carbonation. The smell was of bourbon, oak, and a well balanced malty sweetness. The taste was of bourbon and oak first with a very slight roast barley bitterness. This faded to a bourbon vanilla sweetness that coated the mouth. Finally, it finished with a bit of alcohol heat, but not too much, especially considering its high ABV. The mouthfeel was thick and rich, coating your whole mouth leaving a malty sweetness that lingers. For a beer this big it is surprisingly drinkable. I couldn't resist getting a second glass, but the alcohol in this drink is well hidden, and could easily creep up on you.

01-25-2011 14:22:05 | More by RedSpecial1
trxxpaxxs

4.97/5  rDev +9.2%

Big thanks to Patchmaster for trading me this bottle.

Vintage 2011, poured into my Bruery snifter.

A: Pours a used motor oil looking, completely opaque, pitch black. The only head on this beer is the tiniest ring of a thin mocha coloring along the top of the beer that clings to the glass for dear life.

S: Bourbon, wood, toast, raisin, dark and milk chocolate, vanilla, and just the slightest hint of cherry. Damn, this is exactly how I imagined this beer to smell. It's incredible.

T: Starts off with a nice boozy kick in the face, but all of the flavors of this beer shine through as that first hit begins to mellow. I'm getting dark chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and wood. The raisin and cherry don't come through in the taste, and I'm fine with that. The finish is milk chocolate, some lingering booze, and a bit of burnt toast. Fantastic.

M: Full bodied beer. It's not over or under carbonated. The flavors are a bit sticky, but nothing overwhelming. It's boozy, but ohh so creamy.

O: This beer is phenomenal. The hype is totally justified. I can't wait to see how this beer ages!

12-29-2011 00:30:53 | More by trxxpaxxs
GeorgiaBeerGuy

Georgia

4.96/5  rDev +9%

Bottle, 2013 vintage, copper wax, @ 48° F into a snifter.

Special thanks to biniek13 for this opportunity!

A: Dark, thick, with an open, tan-brown head that quickly dissipates.

S: Bourbon, coffee, fig, chocolate.... some booze, but not overpowering.

T: Heaven in a glass. This is a perfectly balanced Bourbon barreled RIS. Sweet, bourbon and dark fruit, bitter chocolate... not noticing a coffee flavor like I did in the nose.

M: Thick enough, and sticks to the palate. Slight burn in the throat after the swallow to let you know the booze is there.

O: If this was available in GA (or easily available anywhere!) I would definitely stock up on these. Fantastic. Saving the other bottle for a while to see how it changes....

01-23-2014 23:18:34 | More by GeorgiaBeerGuy
MbpBugeye

4.93/5  rDev +8.4%

Obviously the first beer I sampled from Dark Horse's living room at the Brewers Guild Fest in Ann Arbor 2010. I was excited to get to try this one as Plead the 5th is one of my favorite beers.

Quite vinous at times but chocolate and bourbon squash that. There is dark fruits, vanilla, oak, chocolate, bourbon and alcohol.

Taste is fantastic. This beer beat out CBS, KBS, Black Note and lots of other big stouts with major hype that were at the fest. We ended up going back for more of this. Our resounding favorite of the day. Theres nothing too frilly about it. Its just a big ass stout with dark fruits, coffee, chocolate, molasses soaked in oaky and vanillay tasting bourbon barrels.

07-25-2010 21:58:51 | More by MbpBugeye
JLDyer

4.93/5  rDev +8.4%

A very good example of the style. Chocolate and licorice sit fairly thick on the tongue then changes to hints of spices at the finish. Very smooth with no bite or sense of the high alcohol content. Pairs well with beef and sharp cheddar cheese. I have had this from the tap at the brewery every time it is on the tap list, which is not very often. One of my very favorite beers.

11-20-2011 21:41:46 | More by JLDyer
travMI13

4.93/5  rDev +8.4%

2011 vintage. 12 oz. bottle (silver wax) poured into a snifter.

A: This beer pours black as night with slightly reddish edges. Even with an aggressive pour, there is only a very slight tan head to this. The head recedes quickly. Very little lacing.

S: Booze (bourbon), vanilla, and chocolate. All of the things you would expect from a bourbon barrel imperial stout. I must say that the booze definitely dominates, but there is a very sweet quality about it as well.

T: All the flavors from the nose come together beautifully. The chocolate and bourbon dominate the taste, but not in a boozy way. It is very sweet and sticky. A definite liquid dessert. I am very surprised this is not more boozy. The alcohol is well-hidden.

M: Sticky, creamy, and smooth. The lingering flavors are nice on the tongue. I don't get an overly heavy feeling in my mouth, but the sweetness definitely lingers a while. It does not have that full-coating feeling I have gotten from other bourbon barrel imperial stouts.

O: This beer is fantastic. I love sweet imperial stouts, and this is one of the best. Dark Horse takes an already fantastic base beer and hits a grand slam with it. After having it on draft last week at Ashley's in Westland, I decided to crack a bottle to compare. Draft and bottle versions of this are very comparable and equally impressive. I may even stack this alongside KBS and Black Note. One of the true gems of the Michigan craft beer community.

01-16-2012 04:14:40 | More by travMI13
JohnG190

4.91/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks MichiganderHB! 2013 vintage. Pours jet black with a super thin, mocha head that quickly fades to a thin ring around the glass. Good lacing. Complex aromas of vanilla, raisin, bourbon, molasses, and dark chocolate. This is one of the best BA stouts I've ever smelled! Smooth dark chocolate hits the front of the palate followed by caramel,vanilla, and dark fruits. The bourbon isn't as pronounced as in other BA stouts and it's extremely smooth and mellow. As it warms the chocolate really comes out with hints of toffee and molasses. Finish is chocolate with a hint of bourbon heat. Full bodied and incredibly smooth. Not much carbonation to speak of. Sweet finish. Overall, this is the best example of a bourbon barrel stout I've yet had. Simply outstanding!

01-12-2014 23:17:31 | More by JohnG190
BARFLYB

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

On Tap at Hulmeville Inn in a fricken pint glass, are you guys trying to kill me!?!???!?

A- Bourbon 5th is a big ol black stout, it looks dark as night. Really thick looking to, not on the thin side at all. The liquid kinda coats the glass. A very minimal dark brown cap on top not leaving any traces on the glass.

S- While not the most explosive nose on this, 5th remains a big ol roasted malt masterpiece with malts(duh), getting a nice chocolate base with cocco and some underlining vanilla. Dark fruits play a big part in this and bourbon is there but muted. Smells delicious:)

T- Regular 5th is smooth as silk and this bourbon aged one is just as smoooth, if not smoother. The bourbon does not overpower and sort of takes a backseat to the base beer. Chocolate, deep roasted malts, dark fruits, vanilla and some bourbon. This is not hot at all.

M- For the supposed 14% this is not hot at all, no heat whatsoever. Creamy, thick, coating, inviting. Thick bodied, almost barely carbed up. This just glides down. An excellent feel on this bad boy.

D- Ok, 14% is very high and all, nowhere near a session beer. I drank my pint with ease. I would drink more but I have to stay alive, if I was at home drinking this, bourbon 5th would be a all dayer. Im not a big stout guy lately but this one is worth the damage that the alcohol will do over time. This one is a winner and possibly the best bourbon aged stout that I ever had. I drank this along with older vis and bourbon black and this one took the cake.

10-11-2010 22:47:10 | More by BARFLYB
Alpar

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Had on tap at Sugar Maple, what a fantastic surprise :)

A: Dark with a perfect level of carbonation that sticks around for a while.

S: Bourbon, malt, bread, vanilla, charred oak and a minute amount of anise.

T: Vanilla bourbon BOMB, awesome! Very smooth bourbon flavor. It tastes like marshmallows :) Reminds me of Vanilla Bean Dark Lord! I gwt some of the oak, malt and bread on the aftertaste, this is beautiful.

M: Surprisingly thin, but works to the beers advantage. I think it is perfect.

O: This is stellar. I hope I can get to the release of this beer if there is one in the future. Simply outstanding!

06-16-2011 02:02:42 | More by Alpar
MBrausen

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Big thanks to Dougofthefuture for holding this great tasting!

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

A. Pours a dark charcoal color with a caramel head about 1mm thick. Settles as a nice foamy ring around the glass

S. Sweet chocolate dominating the smell, noticeable bourbon, caramel and light fruit

T. Sweet and sugary, but not overbearing at all. Very very malty, with dark chocolate and a slight toffee finish.

M. Medium body, coarse and dry finish

O. This is true a top shelf beer. It's sweet but not over done, very malty but not dominating the whole beer, the chocolate is at a good level, and a nice light coffee finish. This is a beer I will be looking to get more and more of. I suggest everyone try this!

01-14-2012 21:46:13 | More by MBrausen
doughanson78

Washington

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Huge thanks to rfraga77 for this want. 400th BA review.

A: Super black. One of the blackest I've seen. Half finger super dark mocha head that actually had decent retention and lacing for an ABV this high. Awesome looking RIS.

S: Big bourbon, but not boozy at all. Very nice oak notes. Lots of vanilla and butterscotch. Dark chocolate, a touch of dark cherries.

T: Wow. Bourbon is amazing. Vanilla and butterscotch is awesome mixed with dark chocolate, oak, and a hint of cherries. Alcohol is nowhere to be found. One of the smoothest RIS's I've had.

M: Super thick. Chewy to the fullest. Medium low carbonation. Creamy and smooth.

O: One of the, if not the best beer I've had. How is no alcohol detected in a 14% beer?

02-25-2012 03:09:15 | More by doughanson78
MattyG85

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

2011 Vintage on tap at The Happy Gnome in St. Paul, Minnesota. 10 oz. pour served in a New Belgium Globe glass.

Appearance: Color is an oily pitch black with a moderate amount of bubbles. About one finger of deep tan head which fades into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Smells very big, rich, and fairly sweet. Nice scent of bourbon with good hints of vanilla, wood, and oak chips. Big dark malts with big hints of chocolate, coffee, molasses, maple syrup, burnt caramel, toffee, and dark bread. A little bit of smokey roast. A scent of alcohol is present but it blends in well with the dark sweetness. The vanilla and chocolate really stands out. Very rich and good aroma.

Taste: As good as the aroma leads, Big taste of bourbon upfront with some good notes of vanilla, oak, and wood cask. Rich and sweet dark roasted malts with big notes of dark chocolate, bitter coffee, maple syrup, molasses, burnt toast, caramel, toffee, butterscotch, and a little bit of smoke. Some alcohol heat is tasted but not as overwhelming as one might expect. Good balance of sweetness from the vanilla and chocolate, with the bitter roast. Really great taste here.

Mouthfeel: A rich and heavy body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy and fairly syrupy and creamy. Sweet but far from cloying. Smoother than expected at 14%.

Overall: A really great Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. Big, rich, and dark while keeping the sweetness and booze taste under control.

09-04-2012 22:57:13 | More by MattyG85
cnbrown313

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

I've been looking for this beer for the last couple years now and BA mia4ipa was kind enough to share one with me. Poured from a 12oz wax sealed bottle into mini pint glasses. Served at just below room temperature.

A - Pours out like thick, black motor oil with little to no head. Super-viscous. This has the classic look for a big, barrel aged imperial stout. Looking good...

S - I was expecting a huge bourbon smell, but it's not over powering. Hints of bourbon, oak, dark chocolate and fudge.

T - Upon taking a sip, the initial notes are chocolate, toffee, and bourbon. There's just the right level of sweetness without being cloying, which is balanced by that nice bourbon barrel flavor, and a little bitterness at the end. This is one of the tastiest stouts I've ever had. It was surprisingly drinkable at 14% ABV too.

M - The mouthfeel was perfect for the style. It was slightly thick and chewy, but really enjoyable to sip on.

O - Probably one of my favorite barrel aged stouts. The bourbon wasn't as pronounced as it is in something like BCS, but this seemed much more balanced and enjoyable to drink. I wish I had more...

01-04-2013 13:35:51 | More by cnbrown313
oglmcdgl

4.88/5  rDev +7.3%

A pint on tap at the hulmeville inn. Oh boy this is going to be a trip.

A- comes to me with a small cap of dark brown head that settles almost instantly leaving just the faintest of rings. Black in color with a small hint of dark brown at the edges.

S- dark chocolate and bourbon vanilla with some smokey wood and char. Lots of brown sugar and molasses. Touches of dark fuits.

T- molten chocolate fudge cake and blackstrap molasses. Bourbon soaked vanilla beans with dark roasted malts. Light stone fruit and coffee hit way in the back.

M- sooo smooth and creamy with a full body and a bit of chew to it. Very lite carb but its perfect for the brew. Just the lightest touch of boozy heat.

D- for a 14 abv pile driver of a brew Im blasting through this pint. This is one amazing brew. Up there with the best barrel aged stouts in the world no doubt.

10-10-2010 23:09:10 | More by oglmcdgl
TriGuy20

4.88/5  rDev +7.3%

Had at Twisted Spoke, Chicago, IL on tap. In tulip glass.

A: Oil black with nice dark tan head.

S: mmmm this smells great! Vanilla/ Dark Chocolate/ Bourbon/ Molasses/ Dark Roasted Coffee

T: The bourbon comes through nicely with the vanilla showing upfront with a nice bitter chocolate finish.

MF: Creamy and rich, this beer coats the palate like velvet. The finish goes on for a while.

D: For 14% abv this beer is amazingly easy to drink. Per this style 8-12 oz is plenty as it is quite rich.

Overall:
This is one of the finest stouts I have ever had. The use of bourbon barrels is done to perfection. Bravo Dark Horse for making such an incredible drinking experience.

01-03-2011 04:11:04 | More by TriGuy20
sarro

4.88/5  rDev +7.3%

Reviewed from tap at Detroit Fall beer fest.

This is the 6th time I've had this beer (4 on tap, two from bottle (and no infections like the mislabeled Aigre bottle review below))

Looks jet black with a dark brown head. Smell's of bourbon, roast, light coffee & malt. Taste is an incredible wave of bourbon soaked dark chocolate rounded out by a thick malty backbone. Not too sweet & finishes dry & a bit boozy (think 2009 BCS). Full mouth feel, perfectly carbonated and not syrupy like most other stouts/beers of this ABV. One of my top 3 favorite stouts.
An incredible bourbon barrel aged stout to say the least.

10-24-2011 14:41:48 | More by sarro