Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5thDark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th

Wants: 1,896
Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Russian Imperial Stout aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 07-25-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th Alström Bros

everettsbeerguy, May 12, 2013

Mjmoser, Feb 07, 2013

tsatem, Sep 28, 2013

Served in a snifter at fridge temp..

Thanks to cosmicevan for the bottle

This is an amazing looking beer.. Jet black with a dark, dark brown head.
It literally smells like a combo of milk and dark chocolate.. With a hint of a marshmellow-ly sweetness that is complimented with a subtle ethanol/bourbon combo.

This beer, tastes and feels like you are taking a bite out of a half melted bar of chocolate that has been infused with a little bourbon.. Perfectly balanced, perfectly carbonated.. Viscous and chewy.

And 14%? What a joke, easily the smoothest BA imperial stout I've ever had.

I give this beer a perfect score.. And because of this beer.. I am revisiting my past reviews and downgrading any beer that I have previously given a 5, for no beer deserves a 5 in comparison to this beer.. Regardless of style.

Flawless brew

MikeyMikee, Dec 17, 2012

StoutFest, Nov 29, 2011

On tap at The Comet---

Looks...I expected the barrel version of a favorite big stout to be special...that's why I drove cross town eagar to blow my beer budget.

The first goblet looked like blackness,anticipation,and motor oil,with a few bubles on top that only briefly tried to make a head. By the second pour,all thoughts of Quaker State or Valvoline were gone. I saw the blackness of the universe 30 sec before the big bang,I saw pure bliss in a glass and in my hands...so...I upped the score a bit.

Aromas- Coffee,Molasses,Dark fruit galore,a subtle but clean bourbon whiff.

Taste ....Oh my,Oh my my. The signature Dark Horse malts,amped up for the base Plead 5 with an elegant maze of dark chocolates,dark toffeee,and espresso that dance about,stepping up then back and joining in a roasty stout chorus. The Bourbon is done just exactly so. It neither hides nor dominates, it's like a great bass line in a song,well defined and somehow not getting in the way of the beerness.
Dark Horse has quite a knack for getting flavors to work discreet and distinct yet simultaneously with a seamless flow and blend. Things ebb and flow and it all is done so well.

Here,the Bourbon and barrel play their part, the potent ABV lurks like a subsonic energy,warming but never raw. It's so nicely ASSEMBLED....it makes me wonder how they orchestrated this stuff.

Mouth Spot on. A little stickiness on the lips,but it's good. The carbonation never calls attention....in a lack or an excess. It has good life but no fizzy. The finish is long and elegant with a smooth bitersweet mocha-espresso,sparks of fruit notes and on the other channel,the bourbon and hints of the wood,the oak and a touch of vanilla and char.

Drinkable....I had 3.if I had the money and someone to cart me home,I'd have sucked down more until I became a grinning fool.

the only beers I can compare are KBS and CBS. This better displays the Bourbon,does BA beyond my best hopes.

Since Stout is my main beer and Bourbon my main liquor...this is heaven.

Note...When first done I understand Plead was around 14% abv,but so in could be exported to Ohio (etc) that got lowered to about 13% or a bit less...likewise for Double Crooked Tree.

rembrant, Dec 11, 2010