1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5thDark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Russian Imperial Stout aged in bourbon barrels.

(Beer added by: MbpBugeye on 07-25-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,564 | Reviews: 288 | Show All Ratings:
BieresDesMoines

Iowa

4.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a deep impenetrable black with a good head that shocked me because every bottle of Plea The 5th I've opened has had a whisper of a head. This nice head leaves a subsequent nice lace. The aroma is plum, fig, vanilla, molasses, and plenty of deep roast. The flavor is loads of vanilla and chocolate with plenty of dark fruit and some nice fig and raisin notes with just a mild warming alcohol note. A delicious variation of an already delicious beer.

03-23-2011 17:42:33 | More by BieresDesMoines
PerHops

3.69/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2012 Bottle into Snifter.

A- Jet black with a little bit of carbonation at the end of pour. The head is thin and tan but the retention is beautiful. This is a 100 percent perfect looking bb stout.

S- There is bourbon, roasty notes, oak and a slight damp funk at the end. Not quite what I was hoping for and not what I remember.

T- I dont pick up any funk like I did on the nose, but again slightly dissappointing. I get dark fruits, a little bitter chocolate, a little bourbon, but it has a light finish with red wine characters. A little astringent.

M- Starts off slightly syrupy but finishes pretty light and moderate carbonation.

O- To be honest this beer isn't quite what I remember it being. I am going to sit on my other too and hope they mellow out and evolve a little bit.

06-12-2013 00:40:41 | More by PerHops
SkeeterBoganski

Colorado

4.56/5  rDev +0.2%

The second bottle originally gifted as a trade helper with the trade falling through. Generous BA says, "drink that shit!"

A - this beer is oil slick black with a deep brown haze of a quarter inch head. The carbonation is scant and the lacing, minimal.

S - the bourbon notes hit first and foremost; the are some chocolate cherry hints here as well; I'm getting some toffee and roasted chocolate too

T - wow...surprised with all the coffee flavor considering I missed those coffee notes on the nose; roasted chocolate malt; a bit o that bourbon and toasted oak; man, the coffee notes are heavy; a bit of toasted vanilla and toffee

M - again, I'm a bit shocked with something in this beer, the carbonation. Like, it's flat up front and fizzy on the way down...really hard to describe actually. It's creamy and full bodied for sure; nice swill overall; I had to edit this after realizing its 14%abv...it drinks like it is 7-8%...wow

O - so yeah, I'm surprised on a few elements of this beer. I really didn't think the coffee was going to shine through so much, but this beer is really coffee forward. I kind of wishes for more bourbon notes, but overall, this beer is well-balanced and smooth drinking. Nice!

02-04-2013 01:04:20 | More by SkeeterBoganski
tarheels86

4.1/5  rDev -9.9%

355mL 2011 ed silver wax thanks to mikem409. Pours ink with a larger reddish mocha head settling abruptly to a bubbly layer. Nose is richer vanilla with thicker sweet bourbon. Very reminiscent of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Rich wood and mild dark cherries. Very inviting, dessert nose. Taste is silky, rich, spicy bourbon, big dark chocolate. Thankfully only hints of ash that sometimes plague Dark Horse beers. Bitter, thicker. Very enjoyable. Great palate. Lower carbonation with super rich, oily palate. Beautiful stuff. Glad to see this bumped into the Top 50 on both sites. 1/13/2012 8/4/8/5/16=4.1

09-06-2012 19:45:35 | More by tarheels86
Fux

France

4.78/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Opaque dark, deep black with no light getting through this. Very small brown head which fades quickly into a thin collar and some wandering, appealing laces.

S: Smell is of dark chocolate, bourbon, oak, vanilla. Huge! A smooth smoky and nutty scent along with some dark fruits and a bit of alcohol follow.

T: Massive dark chocolate, sweet and roasted malts. Bourbon, vanilla very well blended to this malty profile. The upcoming booze brings dark fruits aroma. Finishes on nutty and resinous hops notes.

M: Full bodied, sweet, creamy, a bit chewy but not sticky. Not as warming as one could expect given the ABV. Easily drinkable. Just perfect!

O: A beautiful barrel aged stout. Smell and taste profiles are huge, massive. But this is so easy to drink, so good, one can be delighted for many many bottles!

03-11-2012 21:35:39 | More by Fux
JDizzle

4.88/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a goblet at the brewery.

I feel lucky to have come across this!!!

It's black as night with a thin cocoa brown head.

Smells like a huge RIS with a nice bourbon scent. It's actually pretty strong- more comes out as it warms. You can smell that it has the potential to be HOT.

Pure bliss!! Great bourbon flavor hits you right away. Really outstanding compared to Plead the 5th. Really oaky, roasted malt, fairly hot-as expected for a 14% beer. There is a good amount of coffee on the finish as well.

Mouthfeel is dry, slick, with low carbonation.

This is a beer I will try and seek out anywhere on tap again. IMO, it's much better than Bells Black Note and KBS, and that is saying a lot!!

04-11-2012 16:08:12 | More by JDizzle
mattsander

Alberta (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2011 vintage

A: Dense black with chestnut edges. Tenacious ring of brown clings to the edge of the glass. Very syrupy.

S: Fudge, dark fruits, booze, sweet vanilla oakiness.The booze element is a little distracting, nonetheless this is delicious.

T: Big dark chocolately malt, tons of toasty nutty oak, drier than I expected from such a huge beer. Complex and delicious.

M: Lighter bodied than BCBS, a bit boozier, but highly drinkable for a beer of this girth.

02-25-2013 03:12:20 | More by mattsander
SuperNova777

4.83/5  rDev +6.2%

This was great starter @ 11 a.m. for our Michigan brew tour

A:Poured into a snifter with harldy no visability throught it, dark along with hints of ruby with a small heads that quickly resides

S:Lots of complexity going on here, from the vanilla to the chocolate maybe some molases. Very inviting

T:Purly Delicious, Lil vanilla and coffee flavor up front then some bourbon on the backburner. Super smooth going down, hard to believe that this one is 14%, almost no alcohol hitting here. Definitly could drink a few of these but probably shouldn't

M:Very nice, a little thicker but very easy drinkability

D: So So good, I'm glad I opened up with this on it got me ready for the next 10 hours of drinking. Easy to drink, great flavors and complexity, and just delicious. I will be heading back to Dark Horse soon and hopefully i will be able to snag this again before its all gone

07-30-2010 01:25:37 | More by SuperNova777
PsilohsaiBiN

4.29/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2011 bottle, big thanks to Loweball 727!

Appearance: Black as Eddie Murphy with a small tan head that quickly recedes to the perimeter.

Smell: Oh yea! Barrel notes galore with vanilla, caramel, bourbon, dark fruit, dark chocolate, roasted malt sweetness. I'm even getting a bit of red wine character in there, nice.

Taste: Everything I like about normal Pt5, with barrel character to boot. I was almost afraid to drink this because I thought it would ruin the normal Pt5 for me. I don't even think I would say that this is better, it just adds another dimension with the barrel notes. I like both versions. What I like about this is that the bourbon character isn't overwhelming at all. Rather, it is evident but not overbearingly so and helps the other components to blend together with more unity.

Mouthfeel: This is a bit more viscous than the standard version of this brew. A little more stickiness is evident.

Overall: I love the non bb aged version of this so much, and this is a nice variation. Some of the malt sweetness I love in the fresh version of this beer is muted here, or it is perhaps this way because this is an '11 bottle. Either way, I like this, but until I try a fresh version of this, Fresh Pt5 wins out for me.

03-13-2013 00:39:14 | More by PsilohsaiBiN
rtaps

4.78/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours pitch black with a nice mocha brown head decent retention.

Smell is great choclate brownie like with some heat, coffee like notes.

Very rich chocolate, like a chocolate brownie with some heat to it witch I like

Mouth smooth full bodied and creamy low carb

Overall it's just all around great

06-07-2012 20:19:07 | More by rtaps
thebigredone

Wisconsin

Finding this beer on tap the one time I stopped by Dark Horse on a random April day completely made my vacation.

I'll skip to overall impressions. This will be the barrel aged stout by which I judge all other barrel aged stouts, and they will all fall short. This beer was perfect, a fantastic blend of bourbon and dark chocolatey stout, with a thick, creamy mouthfeel. I honestly don't think it could be improved upon. 5 out of 5. Well done Dark Horse, I tip my hat to you.

08-08-2012 00:03:32 | More by thebigredone
4thelvofbeer

4.73/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Grey-waxed top, 2011 vintage, drank September 2012. This was great...only had one bottle, wish I had more. Poured a nice deep, dark black. Sweet notes of bourbon, choc, coffee...all the big nice flavors of a really powerful big stout! Huge fan of Dark Horse beers! Pours a thick black with a brown thin tan head. Smell and taste are up there...really nice. Mouthfeel...smooth, overall....right on for a really really nice BA brew...

09-22-2012 13:20:28 | More by 4thelvofbeer
WesM63

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Vintage 2013. Poured into a over-sized snifter.

A: Pours a deep dark brown, nearly black with a 1 finger mocha head.

S: Smells of heaven. Anise, Black Licorice, Chocolate, Coffee, fudge, roast and a solid amount of bourbon.

T: Tastes like heaven. Nearly spot on the nose. Huge amounts of coffee, chocolate and a perfectly balanced amount of bourbon.

M: Medium to full body. Medium carbonation. The beer comes off thick yet slick and creamy on your tongue. This beer is ridiculously drinkable. Moderate amounts of bourbon reminds you, you are drinking an BBA Imperial stout.

O: This is the pinnacle of BBA Imperial Stouts. Everyone does them differently and they all taste a tad bit different, but this one, this one is perfectly balanced. Just the right amount of fudgey goodness paired with just right amount of barrel from the bourbon makes this beer ridiculously easy to drink . If you can't make it to 4elf, i'll let you in on a secret. Hit the brewery any time of the year and pay the money for the tour, you won't be disappointed.

08-30-2013 02:26:43 | More by WesM63
schwaeh

4.58/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz from this year, huge thanks to inebriatedjoker for this.

A: Pitch black with a nice half inch brown head. The head fades quick into some light bubbles. Well carbed for sure. I think this permanently coated the glass in brown oil.

S: The most vanilla and oaked whiskey I've smelled in a beer since BCBS rare. Huge fudge cake, bourbon, chocolate covered chocolate with chocolate icing. Dark fruit is making this real complex; I would believe it if you told me this is blended with a bit of quad its so fruity.

T: This is crazy good. Everything from the aroma comes through in waves. The alcohol is hidden really well except for in the stomach, it's warming there. The malt shows well through the bourbon, they do a nice job on the base and it goes fantastic with the barrel influence. Moderately sweet, but not cloying whatsoever.

M: Slick, rich, and full bodied. Sticky as hell. Carbonation is pretty low.

O: Chocolate, fudge, smooth/matured bourbon- this is fantastic. BBPt5th is everything I look for in this style.

02-12-2012 17:22:38 | More by schwaeh
camil1mj

4.83/5  rDev +6.2%

On tap at the Detroit Fall Beer Fest. My wife got a pour so that I could have a full cup.

A: Deep, dark stout with reddish/brown head.

S: Wonderful bourbon tones with chocolate, roastiness taking a backseat.

T: Bourbon forward. Followed up by chocolate, roasted stouts notes. Perfect.

M: creamy. Smooth. Full-bodied. Appropriately carbonated.

O: Best at the beerfest. I understand the hype. Beats out the Blacknote.

10-23-2011 00:06:51 | More by camil1mj
yuenglingfan101

4.99/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into my trusty pint glass. Dark brown to black color. Tastes of caramel and chocolate. The strong taste left me wanting more and more. The smell of Chocolate always means and wonderful tasting beer. Dark Horse has out done themselves with this one. One of the best this company has.

04-22-2013 17:45:47 | More by yuenglingfan101
maxcoinage

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 Vintage (acquired in a trade with @MichiganderHB) poured into snifter.

look - pitch black with a few cm mocha head that settled down quickly

smell - amazing - slight bourbon, dark fruit, vanilla, oak, dark chocolate

taste - unbelievable! Follows the aroma. dark chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, caramel, some booze on the finish

mouthfeel - fairly thick, lower carb, finshes smooth

overall - wow. this is amazing - it's actually more drinkable than BCBS fresh . it'd be such a tough choice if I had to pick between the two. Glad I got a 4 pack!!!

01-05-2014 02:12:18 | More by maxcoinage
rembrant

On tap at The Comet---

Looks...I expected the barrel version of a favorite big stout to be special...that's why I drove cross town eagar to blow my beer budget.

The first goblet looked like blackness,anticipation,and motor oil,with a few bubles on top that only briefly tried to make a head. By the second pour,all thoughts of Quaker State or Valvoline were gone. I saw the blackness of the universe 30 sec before the big bang,I saw pure bliss in a glass and in my hands...so...I upped the score a bit.

Aromas- Coffee,Molasses,Dark fruit galore,a subtle but clean bourbon whiff.

Taste ....Oh my,Oh my my. The signature Dark Horse malts,amped up for the base Plead 5 with an elegant maze of dark chocolates,dark toffeee,and espresso that dance about,stepping up then back and joining in a roasty stout chorus. The Bourbon is done just exactly so. It neither hides nor dominates, it's like a great bass line in a song,well defined and somehow not getting in the way of the beerness.
Dark Horse has quite a knack for getting flavors to work discreet and distinct yet simultaneously with a seamless flow and blend. Things ebb and flow and it all is done so well.

Here,the Bourbon and barrel play their part, the potent ABV lurks like a subsonic energy,warming but never raw. It's so nicely ASSEMBLED....it makes me wonder how they orchestrated this stuff.

Mouth Spot on. A little stickiness on the lips,but it's good. The carbonation never calls attention....in a lack or an excess. It has good life but no fizzy. The finish is long and elegant with a smooth bitersweet mocha-espresso,sparks of fruit notes and on the other channel,the bourbon and hints of the wood,the oak and a touch of vanilla and char.

Drinkable....I had 3.if I had the money and someone to cart me home,I'd have sucked down more until I became a grinning fool.

the only beers I can compare are KBS and CBS. This better displays the Bourbon,does BA beyond my best hopes.

Since Stout is my main beer and Bourbon my main liquor...this is heaven.

Note...When first done I understand Plead was around 14% abv,but so in could be exported to Ohio (etc) that got lowered to about 13% or a bit less...likewise for Double Crooked Tree.

12-11-2010 03:20:29 | More by rembrant
derkfromwi

Wisconsin

4.63/5  rDev +1.8%

2011 Poured into Duvel glass

A: Thin dark mocha head that dissipates quickly, jet black color, decent carbonation for 14%

S: Dark chocolate, dark fruits, bourbon, roasted malts, barrel notes, hint of cinnamon, and something I'm missing but have smelled at least a few times before

T: Bourbon, dark chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malts, the bourbon is definitely present, but by no means overwhelming. This is up there with some of the best BB Imperial Stouts, I would not use the word 'boozy' with this, the alcohol is balanced very nicely

M: Smooth and velvety, good carbonation, medium-full bodied, warming, pleasant aftertaste of dark fruits and light bourbon

O: Very tasty, very drinkable, this is a very good RIS, I wish I had more

04-11-2012 04:56:19 | More by derkfromwi
Beerandboards

New Mexico

4.68/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a large wine glass

A - black black black. Aggressive pour produces only a small amount of light brown head, which dissipates very quickly into some whisps on top. No lacing.

S - smells mainly of bourbon and oak, some chocolate, booze, vanilla.

T - big blast of smooth vanilla, bourbon, oak up front. Some chocolate notes on the edge, vanilla and hop bittering at the end. Leaves an after taste of vanilla and bourbon. A damn tasty barrel aged stout!

M - it's a bit thinner than I would like. Starts out a little high on the carb, but as it warms the carb settles down. Last third of the pour was very nice.

O - an absolutely fantastic beer. Maybe the best BA stout I've ever tried. If it were a little thicker, it would be perfect. A+, no question.

03-09-2013 22:35:08 | More by Beerandboards
standardcherry

4.66/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle of the 2011 vintage poured into my snifter.

A: Jet black with a mocha colored head that did not stay for long.
S: Roasty malts, chocolate, bourbon. Slight scent of coffee.
T: Chocolate, oak, bourbon, caramel, vanilla. Surprisingly drinkable for a 14% stout. Nice dark chocolate aftertaste lingers in the mouth.
M: Medium to full body, thick and creamy. Great medium carbonation and absolutely no alcohol burn. Excellent for the style.
O: Excellent beer. One of my favorite barrel aged stouts to date.

01-29-2013 00:22:29 | More by standardcherry
mhksuccess

4.49/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from bottle into founder snifter
had back to back with the regular version
and this one is much better
it is dark and not much head just like regular
although this smell is boozy maybe hint of chocolate on back end
and taste is similar although is extremely smooth maybe a touch of heat
slight lacing on this also
aftertaste is so good almost perfect would prefer this over the regular although both are amazing brews

07-02-2013 21:12:17 | More by mhksuccess
mattboyer182

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%

A - pours dark black and a vague tan head.

S - bourbon hits you in the face. Rich malts and apparent alcohol.

T - wow. Sweet intense bourbon. Great wood taste lies underneath.

M - heavy, rich body and light carbonation.

O - for sure the best out of these stouts. So sweet and delicious.

01-10-2012 03:23:57 | More by mattboyer182
s1ckboy

3.58/5  rDev -21.3%

2011 Vintage.

A - Black with a 2-3 finger mocha head that sticks around.

S - Chocolate, booze, bourbon, roast.

T - Chocolate, coffee, bourbon, roast. Very bitter finish that stays with you. A lot of alcohol burn as well which wasn't immediate but lingered for a while.

M - Full. A good amount of carbonation.

I had high hopes for this beer but the alcohol burn coupled with the bitterness made it a bit too harsh. Perhaps it will mellow with age.

12-15-2011 00:39:44 | More by s1ckboy
vonnegut21

4.51/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a deep, creamy black with a half finger of mocha head which dissipates quickly.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, caramel and dark chocolate notes.

T: Roasted malt, bitter chocolate, and bourbon up front are followed by caramel and vanilla. Slight hop bitterness rounds things out nicely.

M: Nice and thick with an excellent, creamy mouthfeel. This is amazing on the palate.

O: A really, really excellent barrel aged stout. Maybe not quite on Bourbon County's level, but this is up there with the best BA stouts out there. I'll definitely seek out more.

01-15-2013 01:28:44 | More by vonnegut21