Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 613 | Hads: 1,544

As an American Stout lover, this is one of the best. Perfect dark head on this one with the rolling bubbles that suggest perfect carbonation. Dark as hell. The nose is beautiful with a touch of fresh blueberries, not some sweetened blueberry flavoring. And that is the key for this beer. It has a subtle flavor of blueberry that backs off with age. It is not overshadowing the important qualities and characters of a dry stout. I highly recommend this one for all beer lovers. I would love to find this guy on tap as well, especially nitro. (540 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +23.3%

My all time favorite fruit beer! This is 2 things, a very well composed fruit beer and an excellent stout both separately. You can disect both flavors in your mouth very easily. This is the best example of a hint of fruit I have ever had in a beer. You get a very roasty smoky deliscious stout up front with the perfect small amount of blueberry in the back. (358 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +21.3%

Thanks to GrandCruDrew and Bay01 for sending me bottles of this one!

Pours a thick opaque black with a nice 2 inch dark khaki head that fades to a small cap. Thick frothy lace that drips back down into the beer on the drink down. Smells exactly like chocolate covered blueberries. Awesome. Taste is pure bittersweet dark chocolate covered dried blueberries. A very complex balance between the roasted and chocolate flavors and the blueberry. An almost perfect level of carbonation leaves this beer feeling very crisp yet smooth and creamy. Overall, this is a shockingly exceptional beer. I was expecting this to be way different with a fake tasting fruit flavor. This is a beer I could drink all night long without getting tired of it, especially at the 4.5% ABV it has. I am super glad I have 2 more bottles of this in my cellar to enjoy at a later time. (856 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +20.1%

I stumbled upon this beer while at a micro brewery I frequent, it was featured as one of their guest taps. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not at all sweet, it just had a mild undertone of blueberry flavor, the figurative cherry on top to seal in a perfect blend of complex flavors.

A-Has a large head with a deep clean coffee brown flavor, served in a snifter.

S-Refreshing blueberry scent.

T-Retains the blueberry flavor without being sweet or light. It has the richness of a complex beer, with the prominence of a single flavor the way a simple beer does. A perfect blend.

M-Very smooth with a small effervescence.

D-Easily drinkable, I highly recommend this beer if you ever have the chance to try it. (725 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

You know, for all the beers I've been blessed enough to have, I feel like this hidden gem just won't get enough pub.

Poured into a 12oz DT Tulip with etching

A: Opaque, fading into amethyst on the sides. Encouraging, given the fresh blueberry aroma that cascades from the open top.

S: Exactly as alluded to above. Wonderful bouquet of blueberry, but upon further inspection I get a faint dark chocolate with a restrained, charred/smoked vanilla.

T: Wonderful. The latent dark chocolate comes well after a beautiful upfront blueberry push. Residual tastes of cocoa and smoked vanilla are still there as well, but I'm not sure it's not because I won't let the aroma go. Harvest fruit to the fore, and wonderful cocoa notes DO supercede the back end.

D: As stated above, I didn't feel compelled to write until this evening. Has a light viscosity, no cloying, no syrupy/sugary sweetness. Drinks well, finishes better. Blueberry as stated, very prevalent, but in an encouraging manner. Certainly going to give this another run, Well done Dark Horse. I loved the Too Cream. This was better. Congrats. (1,101 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +18.4%

I don't know exactly how old this bottle is, but I picked it up in GR, MI back in August 2009. This is my last bottle of the four pack.

Pours black, damn near impenetrable, with a one finger head. The faom settles quickly to a thin layer, leaving a very fine webbing of lace behind.

Smell; after all of these months the blueberries still come through right out of the gates. Some dark chocolate and roasted grains come through, with some faints hints of molasses. No real hop presence what-so-ever (even when I poured this in August).

Taste; the blueberries blend very nicely with a smooth dark chocolate (almost fudge like). A touch of roasted grain adds a very mild bitterness, followed a a mild tartness from the blueberries. Mlildly sweet molasses and blueberries, with a little peppery spiciness. Most blueberry beers that I've had are overly sweet but this one blends the fruit and chocolate flavors exceedingly well.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, and with a fairly low carbonation, comes off very smooth in the feel. Drinkability is really f'ing good.

If this beer were available to me all of the time, I would have it by the case. It has as good a feel as most Impy stouts that I've had, it's damn near as flavorful, and it's only 4.5% abv. I want more, a lot more! (1,284 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +18.4%

It has a strong blueberry nose to it, which is great. At first taste has a bit of blueberry but, not too much. It also didn't taste like fake like some beers with fruit in them. Then it finished like a great stout. I will be buying a bunch of this next time i see it.

Amazing!

I only wish i could buy this in Chicago. (323 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Like drinking blueberry pie!

Dark Horse is my local watering hole and the annual release of this beer creates excitement like kids at Christmas - and it usually comes out around Christmas... nice coincidence.

When you hold this beer up to your nose you smell blueberries. I believe, from talking with the bar staff (not any of the brewing staff) that the beer sits in a secondary fermenter with Michigan blueberries for months. I might be wrong, but I hope not - I like when beers are romanced with details like that.

The blueberry flavor is clearly there, not ridiculous like drinking some weird acai-blueberry crap at your health club. This beer is balanced giving you enough roasted malt and blueberry to make you think of blueberry pie. And for us Michiganders, blueberry pie at Christmas, made from berries from the falls harvest is... well there I go romanticizing beer again. Just drink one! (902 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

Served on tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor. Poured black with dark purple highlights. There was a moderate brownish-red head that dissipated quickly. The nose was roasty but with lots of blueberry, it smells very sweet.

The taste matches the smell pretty well, it tastes like a bubbly warm blueberry cobbler with a nice roasted edge on the crust. The finish is lingering blueberries with with a mix of bitter chocolate and hoppy bite. It has a pleasing level of complexity without being over the top. The mouthfeel is great, with moderate carbonation and excellent smoothness. Surprisingly it feels more meaty and robust than the Dark Horse Imperial Stout, a little backwards in that respect but certainly nothing to diminish this beer.

Overall this was a very drinkable beer. I tend to get sick of fruity beers after the first half a pint or so but I could drink a few of these in a night and be happy about it. The Tres is just a very well crafted beer and a great example of what Dark Horse is capable of brewing.

As this tasting was on tap I will add an addendum to this review once I get to the bottle that is currently in my fridge. (1,140 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap in snifter glass.

A: Deep, dark black with a beautiful tan head.

S: Malts of a stout with a hint of sweetness.

T: Initially, there is a deep, dark stout taste. Finishes with a pleasant, slightly sweet blueberry taste.

M: Full bodied.

O: This is a terrific stout. Unique with the addition of blueberries. (319 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +16.9%

I bought this beer a couple of times over a year ago and would love to find it again. It's a nice combination of a very dry and bitter stout with the perceived (aromatic) sweetness of blueberries making for a phenomenal balance. I usually prefer a hefty stout with twice the alcohol, but this was just as satisfying. I'm glad to see it get good ratings, since the blueberry thing might pigeonhole it with some people as somewhat of a novelty. And I didn't even think of myself as much of a blueberry fan before trying it. (521 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +16.4%

Found this baby in Michigan...picked up a four pack (or two...)

A: Pitch black, motor oil, looks like any good stout really. What else can I say?

S: AMAZING. Smells like a good/roasty stout, but wait...whats that? The heavenly scent of blueberry's are intermingled with the smell of chocolate and alcohol. Not too much, and not too little. Perfect!

T: Chocolate, coffie, molasses, licorice, but in the middle it suddenly sweetens out. A subtle blueberry sweetness keeps the stout flavor from overpowering you. This is a really nice brew.

M: Creamy, thick, everything a good stout should be.

D: This is a VERY drinkable stout. The blueberry aroma and flavor keeps it from being too overpowering as a big stout. I could easily put a few of these babys away in one sitting. Delicious! Do you like blueberry muffins dipped in stout? I do. (839 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

WOW!!!

Simply Amazing!!!

Worth the $2.75 per bottle...ahhh, YEAH!!! No question. Almost Perfection in a bottle.

Love the blueberry. Fits very nice with a stout!

This is one fantastic Stout. I am so impressed. Blueberries, Chocolate, Burnt Carmel, Bitterness, Creamy, Thick, Black, Low ABV....what else is there to say. This is by far one of my favorite beers to date. It is almost...dare I say...perfect. Exceptional Stout. I love the fact that it is such a low ABV. I could sip on this beer all night. Dark Horse, you do impress me.

Open the bottle and you smell blueberries. But it is not overpowering at all. Very nice. I also love the fact that it is THICK with a small dark brown head that laces down the glass as it is drank. Amazing....absolutely amazing. I wish that this beer was made all year but it is not. I will definitely be waiting for its release next year.

Thanks Dark Horse. Keep up the great, fantastic, work. INCREDIBLE!!! (949 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

(written May 11, 2012)

I love me a dark beer, and I think we can all agree that it’s hard to find a stout or porter with a particular fruit in its name. This beer covered all the main components of a spectacular stout and one up’d it by adding a perfect amount of blueberry to it. Smells of blueberries. Pours completely black. Tastes of chocolate, coffee and blueberries. Has a fairly pleasant mouth feel. Overall this beer was all that I wanted and was expecting... There are countless amounts of fruit wheat beers, but how many fruit stouts do you have? This beer could replace coffee and pie for dessert. (613 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%

Look a Stout look,a moment of tan head covers the surface and having set the stage,departs.
The glass gets film and syrup and some lace showing the signs of ample substance.
Aroma Fresh blueberry muffins,heavy on the blueberries with a cup of coffee on the side. You have to wonder about a stout Ice Cream float...

Taste Oh boy! I'd missed Tres in last year's 5 stout array and while fruit in beer is usually not my thing,here it is sublime.There is a solid punch of concentrated beer with illusions of dark roasted coffee and a flavorful chocolate malted and deep earthy roasted darkness....but the soft sweetness and unique tang of blueberries skips through it like happy children skipping through a great dark forest without fear. The Malt blend and the blueberry flavors manage to never mask each other or lose their individuality. That's something Dark Horse excels at. Everything dances together but never gets muddy or blurred.

Dark Horse,with their Black Bier,found a great malt bill and have tweaked it for most of their dark brews,lighter for Boffo Brown,more intense for Plead the 5th. They did Oat Stout,Cream Stout,Wee Heavy and that core Malt bill not only adapted but did special stuff interacting with the hops and yeasts and whatever to stir up a variety of details. With Fore,as with Tres, the smoke plays nice with the Stout,in just the right mix. With BA Plead...the Bourbon and Stout do a tongue tango that will make a grown man weep. In it seems any case,that magic malt blend does tricks and transitions like a jazz band...but can also jam with Blueberries.

And in the end you are left with a lingering tang from those berries and a tease of some nice rich roast coffee.
Mouth A sense of both viscosity and wetness. Again there's some trickery afoot.
Drinkability If I had a case... (1,808 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%

A= pours black as the night and looks very thick in the pour. Quite impressive for such a low abv stout. As mentioned below someone said you can see a purpleish amber hue when you pay attention to it coming out of the bottle. A small tan head comes out but dies quickly and leaves no lacing.
S= really impressive stout odor. Chocolaty and coffeeish with some dark roasted malts and maybe a little smoke. Really something. The blueberry odor took me two sniffs because I was so blown away by the great stout smell but its there in a sweet candy sort of way. Muffins come to mind.
T= very unique. Chocolate roasty malt comes through first followed by a little more extreme coffee taste and the finish is a lot of blueberries similar to a muffin. There's actually a little tart sourness to it was well which is even more interesting... a sour stout hmm good idea. Really great.
M= very dry finish but starts sort of coating all along my mouth. Not the most impressive mouthfeel but better than average.
D= awesome. I really love this beer. Its something unique and fun. Ill be seeking more of this out often. Keeps you thinking and is so low in abv you can have a few to study the subtle nuances of such a great beer. (1,214 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

What an incredible pour into my Sam Adams Sensory Glass. Delicious smell of blueberries. The appearance was remarkable as it looked like blueberry pancake mix poured onto a hot griddle -- with big glob-like bubbles popping all over a two inch purplish head. So it goes without saying, perfect 5s for both appearance and taste. Taste started out with a tinge of blueberries with a burnt stout overtone. Very tasty. Thick taste. Sticks to your teeth. You have to use your tongue to clean off your teeth, it's that thick. Scrumptious good. Mouthful is exceptional and thus the drinkability is very high, too. I'm sorry I only picked up a 4 pack at The Liquor Stop in Highland, IN. This is one of my new favorites. Great Job, Dark Horse ! (734 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a nice pitch black body with an espresso colored head that's not too big and finishes down nice and lacy. Smells like blueberry and malt. Smell not to overpowering, just right actually. On first taste, I could not help but notice how smooth it went down, about the smoothest stout I have ever had on first taste to be honest. On a second taste the blueberry really comes out and as the beer warms, it becomes more pronounced. Probably the best session stout I have ever had. Nice and smooth feel, tastes great, and is highly drinkable. 1st rate stout. (557 characters)

GLASS: Dogfish Head Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Appears to be solid black. If you pay attention as it pours though, it has a dark red, almost purple color to it. I can't reproduce this in the glass. Two-finger head of creamy, dark brown foam. Retention is just going on and on and on. Lacing is like a curtain, but it's pretty slippery, so it doesn't really last long.

Good lord, that's a wonderful nose! It's exactly what it says it is, but so much more than I had expected. Smells like a cup of dark roast coffee and a fresh made blueberry muffin. Seriously. I pick up mild malt notes and a very light hint of chocolate.
This nose is very simple, but oh so deliciously inviting.

Who would have thought that blueberries would work so well with a nice stout? This is tasty!
Full of big, dark roasted coffee presence. Nice notes of dark chocolates, which are much more prevelant than in the nose. Good roasted maltiness. These characteristics alone would make a nice, solid stout. Then they went and loaded it with the flavor of blueberries that just dances around with all of these other flavors. All of the flavors work very well together and nobody really overpowers anybody else. The blueberries do get to shine in the finish, though, leaving a nice, sweet taste to remember this one by.
Excellently done, Dark Horse!

On the lower end of full-bodied. Nicely smooth and slightly creamy. Would benefit from a touch more creaminess and body. Just a little tweaking of the carbonation would probably accomplish this.

This is a very drinkable brew, for any time of year. This is number three, out of five, in the DH stout series, and I'm drinking them in order. That means that I still have two more to go, but right now, for me, this is the standout of the series. The other two have got their work cut out for them.
I wish I had more of this one, instead of just the one bottle. DH should really think about making this a regular release. (1,961 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a dark thick color with a finger or so of thick, dark foam that lingers. The blueberries come through best on the nose on top of the large roasted scent of the barley. Only a hint of blueberry comes through in the flavor profile, but it is there, especially lingering at the end between sips. The main flavor is of a robust, roasted stout. The mouthfeel is pleasantly thick for the style. Overall, this is a pretty darn tasty drink, and the low ABV lends itself to being a good session beer. (497 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Dark and black with a light tan head out of a 12 oz bottle

Smells of dark chocolate, blueberries, coffee

Tastes of chocolate, blueberry is there with some burnt coffee and a slight hop bitterness

Full bodied mouthfeel with light carbonation

Great fruit stout, the blueberry goes great with the with dark grains. Will definitely look for this again. (353 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours to perfect beauty with a inky black body hosting a coco powder colored head at two fingers with decent retention. Nose is a welcome mix of opening the bread box to blueberry muffins and zesty spicey malt. This beer comes into the mouth shockingly smooth like a chocolate covered blue berry. malty dark chocolate richness is created by the burnt malt. The blueberries add a slight sweet sour feel happens on the mouthfeel. a dark chocolate bon bon effect is all over the palate also. Overall they did a great job integratin the blueberries without making it seperate. Wonderfully drinkable, solid beer. (607 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A. Pours a nice black, with a mild blue hue. A nice 2 finger head, with good retention. Maintained a nice 2mm ring the whole time.

S. Noticeable hickory/oak notes, with a sweet smell of blueberry and malts. Extremely nice smell to this beer. This is the type of smell that I could have a scented candle made out of, that my wife would like too.

T. Start has a rich malt flavor. A slight blueberry flavor, but also very sweet. The sweetness fades at the end to a bitterness. Almost as if your tasting two different types of blueberries through out the beer. It really is quite a interesting transformation.

M. It has a heavier feel, that presents itself right away when you sip it. A chewy thickness that stays bold the whole time. However the flavors round out the thickness well. A fair amount of carbonation, however not overwhelming.

O. This is a very interesting beer. Without the blueberry flavors, this beer would be lost on a shelf with a lot of other 1-sided stouts. However the flavors that present themselves throughout this beer really keep it interesting all the way through the glass, and even after your done drinking.

I think this is a impressive beer. It has some flavors that normally would be the end of a stout to me, but rounds them out with a lot of interesting angles to the taste. It really keeps you sipping to continue to get all those subtle hints. On a nice side note, when you burp, it tastes like blueberry pancakes! I can't wait to share this beer with a few friends. (1,503 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 4 pack yesterday. I have never had a fruit stout of any kind. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very thick, dark black color that's pretty much totally opaque and shows no hue of any kind when held to a light. A nice 1 finger tan colored head builds nicely. A very nice looking stout.

S: WOW! The blueberry smell is very nice and immediately noticeable but not overpowering. It is a very interesting addition to the dark, roasty malts. Aromas of chocolate and a touch of coffee are in there as well.

T: The taste has a hint of blueberry in it but it is much less than in the smell.The roasted, chocolaty dark malts really stand out to me. This is a very tasty fruit stout.

M: The mouthfeel is kinda thin for a stout but very drinkable. You get the alcohol but it is not overpowering.

D: Light and dry but refreshing. The bitterness on the backend is very noticible but very tasty. Can't compare to anything as this is my first fruit stout but this is very good in my opinion.

Tres was my first fruit stout but will for sure not be my last. Dark Horse has come up with a great combination of flavors that come together nicely. I'd would definitely recommend this beer to my stout drinking friends. (1,239 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle purchased from Nathaniel Square Corner Store.

Pours dark black, opaque, with a 2 inch light mocha colored head, and good lacing down the glass.

Smells include chocolate, roasted malt, and blueberries.

This stout has a wonderful dry roasted malt flavor, with lots of bitter dark chocolate. The blueberries are subtle and not overpowering, providing a little bit of sweetness and very mild tartness. Even without the blueberries, this would be an outstanding stout- the roasted character is perfect. The blueberry flavor and aroma get stronger and sweeter as the beer warms, without ever getting cloying.

Medium to full body, very drinkable, scary drinkable, actually. No alcohol presence.

An amazing stout, Dark Horse continues to impress me. (754 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last