Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros

As an American Stout lover, this is one of the best. Perfect dark head on this one with the rolling bubbles that suggest perfect carbonation. Dark as hell. The nose is beautiful with a touch of fresh blueberries, not some sweetened blueberry flavoring. And that is the key for this beer. It has a subtle flavor of blueberry that backs off with age. It is not overshadowing the important qualities and characters of a dry stout. I highly recommend this one for all beer lovers. I would love to find this guy on tap as well, especially nitro.

4.97/5  rDev +25.2%

My all time favorite fruit beer! This is 2 things, a very well composed fruit beer and an excellent stout both separately. You can disect both flavors in your mouth very easily. This is the best example of a hint of fruit I have ever had in a beer. You get a very roasty smoky deliscious stout up front with the perfect small amount of blueberry in the back.

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

Thanks to GrandCruDrew and Bay01 for sending me bottles of this one!

Pours a thick opaque black with a nice 2 inch dark khaki head that fades to a small cap. Thick frothy lace that drips back down into the beer on the drink down. Smells exactly like chocolate covered blueberries. Awesome. Taste is pure bittersweet dark chocolate covered dried blueberries. A very complex balance between the roasted and chocolate flavors and the blueberry. An almost perfect level of carbonation leaves this beer feeling very crisp yet smooth and creamy. Overall, this is a shockingly exceptional beer. I was expecting this to be way different with a fake tasting fruit flavor. This is a beer I could drink all night long without getting tired of it, especially at the 4.5% ABV it has. I am super glad I have 2 more bottles of this in my cellar to enjoy at a later time.

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

I stumbled upon this beer while at a micro brewery I frequent, it was featured as one of their guest taps. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not at all sweet, it just had a mild undertone of blueberry flavor, the figurative cherry on top to seal in a perfect blend of complex flavors.

A-Has a large head with a deep clean coffee brown flavor, served in a snifter.

S-Refreshing blueberry scent.

T-Retains the blueberry flavor without being sweet or light. It has the richness of a complex beer, with the prominence of a single flavor the way a simple beer does. A perfect blend.

M-Very smooth with a small effervescence.

D-Easily drinkable, I highly recommend this beer if you ever have the chance to try it.

4.83/5  rDev +21.7%

You know, for all the beers I've been blessed enough to have, I feel like this hidden gem just won't get enough pub.

Poured into a 12oz DT Tulip with etching

A: Opaque, fading into amethyst on the sides. Encouraging, given the fresh blueberry aroma that cascades from the open top.

S: Exactly as alluded to above. Wonderful bouquet of blueberry, but upon further inspection I get a faint dark chocolate with a restrained, charred/smoked vanilla.

T: Wonderful. The latent dark chocolate comes well after a beautiful upfront blueberry push. Residual tastes of cocoa and smoked vanilla are still there as well, but I'm not sure it's not because I won't let the aroma go. Harvest fruit to the fore, and wonderful cocoa notes DO supercede the back end.

D: As stated above, I didn't feel compelled to write until this evening. Has a light viscosity, no cloying, no syrupy/sugary sweetness. Drinks well, finishes better. Blueberry as stated, very prevalent, but in an encouraging manner. Certainly going to give this another run, Well done Dark Horse. I loved the Too Cream. This was better. Congrats.

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

I don't know exactly how old this bottle is, but I picked it up in GR, MI back in August 2009. This is my last bottle of the four pack.

Pours black, damn near impenetrable, with a one finger head. The faom settles quickly to a thin layer, leaving a very fine webbing of lace behind.

Smell; after all of these months the blueberries still come through right out of the gates. Some dark chocolate and roasted grains come through, with some faints hints of molasses. No real hop presence what-so-ever (even when I poured this in August).

Taste; the blueberries blend very nicely with a smooth dark chocolate (almost fudge like). A touch of roasted grain adds a very mild bitterness, followed a a mild tartness from the blueberries. Mlildly sweet molasses and blueberries, with a little peppery spiciness. Most blueberry beers that I've had are overly sweet but this one blends the fruit and chocolate flavors exceedingly well.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, and with a fairly low carbonation, comes off very smooth in the feel. Drinkability is really f'ing good.

If this beer were available to me all of the time, I would have it by the case. It has as good a feel as most Impy stouts that I've had, it's damn near as flavorful, and it's only 4.5% abv. I want more, a lot more!

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

It has a strong blueberry nose to it, which is great. At first taste has a bit of blueberry but, not too much. It also didn't taste like fake like some beers with fruit in them. Then it finished like a great stout. I will be buying a bunch of this next time i see it.

Amazing!

I only wish i could buy this in Chicago.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%