Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A. Pours a nice black, with a mild blue hue. A nice 2 finger head, with good retention. Maintained a nice 2mm ring the whole time.

S. Noticeable hickory/oak notes, with a sweet smell of blueberry and malts. Extremely nice smell to this beer. This is the type of smell that I could have a scented candle made out of, that my wife would like too.

T. Start has a rich malt flavor. A slight blueberry flavor, but also very sweet. The sweetness fades at the end to a bitterness. Almost as if your tasting two different types of blueberries through out the beer. It really is quite a interesting transformation.

M. It has a heavier feel, that presents itself right away when you sip it. A chewy thickness that stays bold the whole time. However the flavors round out the thickness well. A fair amount of carbonation, however not overwhelming.

O. This is a very interesting beer. Without the blueberry flavors, this beer would be lost on a shelf with a lot of other 1-sided stouts. However the flavors that present themselves throughout this beer really keep it interesting all the way through the glass, and even after your done drinking.

I think this is a impressive beer. It has some flavors that normally would be the end of a stout to me, but rounds them out with a lot of interesting angles to the taste. It really keeps you sipping to continue to get all those subtle hints. On a nice side note, when you burp, it tastes like blueberry pancakes! I can't wait to share this beer with a few friends.

MBrausen, Aug 01, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +15.6%

This is totally out of my comfort zone, since I am not a fruity guy, I prefer AIPAs to stouts and I usually defer to CANs vice bottles, but I was goaded into the purchase by one of the co-owners of The Fridge.

My pour resulted in two-plus fingers of thick deep-brown head with good retention. Color was a stygian, dense dark brown that allowed for ZERO light penetration. Nose was, indeed, tres blueberry! Redolent with blueberries, in fact. How can you go wrong with blueberries? They are full of antioxidants and I like to pop a handful in my mouth and bite down for an explosion of blueberries. That is what this tasted like, along with a slight coffee-like bitterness. Wow! Mouthfeel was medium and if it could have been just a little creamier, I would have been heaven-sent. Finish lingered with the taste of blueberry and I was thankful that I followed someone else's suggestion.

woodychandler, Jul 29, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 4 pack yesterday. I have never had a fruit stout of any kind. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very thick, dark black color that's pretty much totally opaque and shows no hue of any kind when held to a light. A nice 1 finger tan colored head builds nicely. A very nice looking stout.

S: WOW! The blueberry smell is very nice and immediately noticeable but not overpowering. It is a very interesting addition to the dark, roasty malts. Aromas of chocolate and a touch of coffee are in there as well.

T: The taste has a hint of blueberry in it but it is much less than in the smell.The roasted, chocolaty dark malts really stand out to me. This is a very tasty fruit stout.

M: The mouthfeel is kinda thin for a stout but very drinkable. You get the alcohol but it is not overpowering.

D: Light and dry but refreshing. The bitterness on the backend is very noticible but very tasty. Can't compare to anything as this is my first fruit stout but this is very good in my opinion.

Tres was my first fruit stout but will for sure not be my last. Dark Horse has come up with a great combination of flavors that come together nicely. I'd would definitely recommend this beer to my stout drinking friends.

Pudge43, Feb 18, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +15.6%

I will review this in the form of a poem , as I sit in my robe by a roaring fire. My dog Boo-Boo, who sits by my side through thick and thin agrees with this review. The poem is entitled "My Boo Love the Blue, But Where is the Blue?"

A deep mahogany lace caresses the inside of my beer-clean glass.
Floppy ears and pink bows lay up against my ass
As I hold you to the light, colorful whispers of onyx and freshly cooled obsidian tickle my pupils
As I hold you to my lips, my erection quadruples
I smell you blueberries, but only a little and like my drunk father
You don't write... or bother
You remind me of mom, 'cause you said you'd be there
And just like the blueberries, you never cared
So good job because I'll just be a stout
And the other flavors will laugh, because I'll always be without

So what I'm trying to say is it's light on the blueberries but I'll be ok. Boo-Boo says hi.

Mullinger1980, Jan 16, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

I love stouts and I love blueberries, but I am worried this beer will be full of artificial blueberry flavoring kind of like those blueberry pies you buy in the grocery store and just have to put them in the stove and warm them up.
It looks like a stout. Pitch black with a small brown head. Light spotty lacing and little carbonation.
Smells like a nice sweet stout with some roasted woodchips and a faint hint of frest blueberries at the end. The stout and blueberry smells mix well.
Upon my first sip my thought is how in the world did Dark Horse Brewing do this. I'm not a fan of fruit beers but this is perfectly done. Taste like a chocolate cake that is not too sweet. Plenty of roasted and coffee flavors to boot. Nice mild *fresh* *ripe* blueberry finish. The blueberry flavor is not over done as a lot of fruit beers are imo. It's, well, perfect. It's just a hint of blueberry flavoring at the finish that adds a nice fruitiness and sweetness to the beer like no other stout I've had.
Mouthfeel is full bodied and smooth as silk.
My only problem with the drinkability is that I only have one bottle to drink.
This is a beer that I've never heard of and had my doubts about. But now I believe this is a beer worthy of seeking out.
Many thanks to patyoda for sending me this delicious and unique beer.

wcudwight, Jan 21, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

A - Pours a dark, dark brown that just begs you to get lost inside. Mocha colored head that dissipates very quickly.

S - Blueberry(who would've figured) and roasted malt. Fantastic, I wish they made a candle that smelled like this.

T - The blueberry is much more subtle in the taste as opposed to the smell. Big roasty flavors. Some coffee. Big roast. Very good.

M - A little thin. Not bad but not great. At 4.5% what do you expect though.

D - I find this to be very drinkable. Great flavor and only 4.5 ABV. If I was the type to drink one beer all night I could do this one easily.

infestaxion, Mar 27, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

This is the last of the stout series I had yet to try. I thought Too Cream Stout was good, but this is phenomenal! Jet black, orange-tan head. Robust, roasted coffee and dark chocolate with a whisp of fresh blueberries. Flavor is brief blueberry that explodes into roasted coffee, patent malt, toffee. Brief end of blueberry/fruitiness and finishes deep roast, malt bitterness. Carbonation that bounces flavor off the taste buds. This is not a fruit beer! However, the blueberry lends a complexity and finish like no other. Absolute mastery! If you haven't tried the stout line from Dark Horse - go out and try them! But save this one for last! Stout that is extremely and dangerously drinkable.

arkurzynski, Mar 15, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

A - motor oil thick blackness, with a half finger of dark tan head that thins slowly

S - super blueberry, like fresh blueberry cobbler with mocha and coffee and unsweetened baker's chocolate. Magnificent!

T - at first it's like biting into a big thick juicy blueberry, then it quickly melts into rich roasted chocolate malts. Big smoky, charred malts with some meaty bacon-like characteristics.

M&D - smooth for its flavor punch, yet with chewy elements, and surprisingly drinklable. This amazing beer has quite a layered flavor that demands some attention. If you're not paying attention while you sip this brew, you will after that first sip.

sinstaineddemon, Jul 24, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Pours a lot darker that i thought it would and that was a pleasant surprise. This is a jet black beer with a pretty dark head

S: Wonderful smell of roasted malts, chocolate, little bit of java, and beautiful blueberries.

T: I was very impressed with this beer. I usually am not a big fan of fruit flavors in beer, but this beer was definetly an exception. The blueberries were never overwhelming, and were definetly an awesome touch to this stout

M: It was a little bit thinner than i thought it would be.

D: Honestly I could drink these all day. Especially good for this time of year.

This was my first Dark Horse brew and i will definetly be looking for more.

JizackFH, Apr 08, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

Therefore, I chose this one as my nightcap last night. I have been gradually working my way through the lineup of these, and have been generally more then pleased with the results so far, lets just see now how one a blueberry stout can hold up. The pour was just as I would have expected, dark as night and completely opaque. A very nice dark chocolate colored head rose up to a height of around two inches before finally settling back down to a thin layer across the top on the glass that lasted throughout the session.

The aroma was where its at. Very nice rich, sweet stout aroma, with the definite hint of blueberry inside. First impressions were that this was not your cheap artificial flavor, but rather a really nice blend that was done during brewing. There was a very nice coffee and chocolate layer in here as well, with the blueberry not being the strongest player, but definitely strong enough not to be ignored. The flavor as well was very strong, very sweet, and very good. A rich sweet stout that did not have the slightest hint of alcohol is what greeted me right away. Very nice touches of coffee and lactose, with a touch of vanilla are evident right off the bat. I was not able to detect the Blueberry in the flavor at first, then the finish hit me. Like a blueberry muffin, very nice with just the right amount of tartness throughout. This was easily one of the better fruit beers I have ever tasted. It was not overdone, rather just a touch put in there so that it accentuated the underlying ale beautifully. Really very nice and an awesomely sessionable nightcap for sure.

Overall, I thought this was excellent and was easily my favorite among all of the ones that I had before. I would love to try this one on tap, as I am sure it would be outstanding. If you can get this it is a must try. One of the best, and most unique stouts I have had in quite some time.

mikesgroove, Apr 10, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

Love this beer, finally getting around to doing a review.

A: Black as it should be. A cream-soda-brown head that has great retention though lacing is relatively minimal.

S: One of the best parts of this beer. To me is smells like one of those sugary blueberry pie things you can get at a gas station. Those might be bad for you, but this is oh so good.

T: Taste is very malty-sweet. Dark barley malts are driving here, with the blueberry characteristics riding shotgun and chocolate flavors doing the annoying (delicious) back-seat driving.

M: Low carbonation, medium body. Not sticky but leaves a good lasting aftertaste.

D: Very drinkable. No alcohol presence, delicious flavors and an approachable mouthfeel. Not dangerous because of the low ABV, and simply sessionable if you wish.

Excellent stout from Dark Horse. Most peoples favorite of the Holiday Stout Series, though I'm also a fan of Too. Pick this up if you haven't tried it.

AVDeuph, May 12, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer pours motor oil black color. The head is one inch in height, blueish-tan (unlit now I had never known blueish-tan was a color) in color, and recedes very quickly into almost no lacing. The aroma is of fresh blueberries with underlying roasted malt, and graham cracker. The taste is of roasted malt, dark chocolate, blueberries, and has a graham cracker and vanilla finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a very good beer. I like how the blueberry is perfectly balanced into the stout. I would certainly drink this again.

KarlHungus, May 01, 2008

Appearance: 1 inch head, opaque, black in color

Smell: blueberry, dark coffee roast, and some cream

Taste: bitter coffee that turns to dark chocolate and blueberry

Mouthfeel: medium/heavy body, sweetish start with a bitterness in the middle that turns sweet to the end, medium carbonation

Drinkability: Wow I really like this beer. The blueberry really goes well with the roastiness of the stout. The blueberry tastes natural and not syrupy--yet the beeriness is still there. Could have several. New favorite from the brewery.

tigg924, Feb 04, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a bottle into a 12 oz snifter. This is the second time I've had this, I wasn't a fan of the first but something about the subtle REAL blueberry flavor has me at epiphany.

A: Dark black with two fingers of frothy dark brown head that dissipates quickly.

S: Blueberry, not juice but real fruit. Roasted malt - chocolate/coffee.

T: Blueberry on the front end, fading into a melody of rich toasted malt. The blueberry flavor is much more subtle than the smell. Its a little different than the native fruit, as if slightly dessicated - imagine a blueberry raisin, as if they were left in the sun after being picked.

M: Moderate, smooth, creamy. I think the addition of the fruit may have watered down the recipe minimally.

O: Always try a beer twice. I was unhappy with the amount of blueberry on my first try - I guess I was expecting a fruit beer. This is a stout with a blueberry aroma and maybe some flavor in that first sip of head. I will be picking up another 4 pk if I see one still on the shelves.

Copernicandream, Mar 01, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Popped open a bottle and was immediately greeted with the smell of blueberries. Fantastic.

Beer pours a pitch black, blacker and thicker than I would have with expected with a 1+ inch cocoa colored head.

While the initial scent was blueberry, it was soon taken over by dark chocolate. Strong. Lots of roasted malt. Definitely some coffee, though it almost seems that is the blueberry and the roast converging rather than a unique smell. The smells remind me a bit of a porter rather than a stout. Still nice.

Great, complex flavor. Lots of blueberry, but subtle and not at all overdone. Pretty much the same flavors as the nose would indicate. Great balance of flavors - blueberry gives way to roast, coffee and chocolate, before a chocolate blueberry flavor coats the palate. I can't get over how good this is.

Quite a fair bit of carbonation again gives the beer a bit of a porter quality. Not a bad thing, but worth noting.

I find that often times a lot of 'interesting' or creative beers offering different takes on a style (or a wildly different take) don't really work (see my Aprihop, 120 min or Autumn Maple reviews). I like to try for curiosity sake, but I don't often love the beer. The Tres, however, is FANTASTIC. The blueberry makes the beer interesting, complex and tasty. I enjoyed this all the way through. A noteworthy beer and now one I need to figure out how to get my hands on with regularity. Damn, fair to say I am blown away.

yeastsipper, Mar 28, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark brown to black with nothing showing through when held up to light. Thick, creamy, brown head is full at pour and lingers on the top nicely.

S: Malts, chocolate, sweetness. Really heavy malt as expected.

T: Great twist with the blueberry flavor - slight sour at the very front, then quickly to semi sweet dark chocolate flavor laced with blueberry. Nicely balanced and a lot going on.

M: Thick, really thick but nice and hearty.

O: Enjoyable and great spin on an imperial stout.

Oakenator, May 24, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

On tap at Station Taproom, 2/27/11.

A-Deep opaque dark brown with a thin tan head and no lacing.

S-Blueberries, graham crackers, bittersweet chocolate. Excellent.

T-Sweet roasted malt and graham crackers in the front with a nice breadiness and semi-sweet blueberry tanginess.

M-Medium bodied, a bit slick.

D-Excellent. The use of blueberries is perfect, the graham cracker character of the malt really stands out. One of the best 4.5% brews out there.

HV

sholland119, Mar 06, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Black onyx that leaves little - actually make that no - room for highlighting. The beer is decidedly opaque and neither the angle at which it's held nor the brightness of the light behind it are likely to change that. Its head, on the other hand, is markedly coloured a brilliant and rich looking caramel tone. It looks like someone sprinkled brown sugar atop and then torched it. Its rusty pigmentation actually stains the walls of the glass.

The aroma doesn't overstate the contribution of the blueberries but it does make their inclusion apparent. Foremost, however, is this tremendously roasty malt profile that is replete with notes of charred oak, smokey grains, burnt toast, bitter cocoa and black coffee. Pound for pound I give this as much complexity and character as anything bourbon-barrel aged or containing the word 'imperial' in its moniker.

Coffee, chocolate and caramel are flavourful enough on their own - add blueberries into the mix and you have yourself one seriously decadent, indulgent treat. Those tastes of dark chocolate and espresso stay locked in and linger for a considerable time after each gulp. The berries take a less aggressive approach but can be equally impressionable on any given sip. Think rich tiramisu made with heavy-roast espresso and blueberry brandy.

The mouthfeel has a nice play between bitter, chunky cocoa nibs and tart, fully ripened blueberries and sweet, caramelized malts. The only problem is that its fourth characteristic - an ultra smokey, heavily roasted, intense espresso-type bitterness - is slightly disproportionate to the others. I'm also finding the beer just a tad thin considering the gratifying richness of its flavour. The alcohol I'd guess around the 7% range.

I've had the privilege of trying Tres Blueberry Stout on many occasions now and each time I come back to it I am more impressed and gratified. The way that Dark Horse has managed to integrate the tart, tannic, wild and dark berry flavour of the fruit into this classically rich base of chocolate, coffee and roasted malts is nothing short of mouthwatering (not to say downright heavenly if paired with the right dessert). Highly recommended.

biegaman, Sep 12, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

This is an exceptional stout in every way.

The blueberry on the nose is very apparent almost to the point that when you smell it you would think it is going to take over the overall flavor, but it does not at all...

An easy poor will give you a quarter inch dark tan head, lacing is there but falls with each drink.

Body is light and gives it a great drinkability! (since its a blueberry beer its a fun stout for the spring which I think is sorta rare in itself for the dark beer drinker!)

The taste is just great very original, I have yet to run into very many blueberry stouts!

While everyone is looking and talking about Founders, watch the Dark Horse possible come up from behind with love! Batch by batch...

This review from someone who is just as impressed beer for beer just not on a Founders distribution scale!

What a great beer! The only beer in my cooler on Darklord day not one person knew about but everyone loved!!

What I cracked with my breakfast!

FarmHouseJam, May 08, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours into a Mikasa widemouth. Pours pitch black with an initial three finger light brown head. Dissipates to a quarter inch fluffy layer over the course of a minute.

Smell has three dominant characteritsics, blueberry, chocolate, and coffee, all of which are controlled and play off of each other very nicely.

Taste reveals a blueberry florally perfumed front fading quickly into bittersweet chocolate and light coffee. Closer to a 4.75 score than a 4.5 score.

Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, slightly chewy. I would like a bit more thickness but this is very good.

The flavors are all very bold. I couldn't see myself sessioning this beer but I would definitely enjoy the two or three that I'd have before I was done.

STEG, Aug 26, 2010

SD-Alefan, Jan 30, 2014

KolbMarley, Jul 17, 2014

JT_Money, May 26, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

At Smokin' Joe's this beer was amazing, dark roasted malts bring out that dark chocolate/slight coffee hint. As the nose opens up you realize there's a nice earthy blueberry character taking hold, low alcohol minimalizes interference from other flavors. Overall you take the first sip and you realize dark roasted malts/creaminess/blueberry all at once almost overwhelming but excessently awesome version of a fruit stout. I will grab a four pack when available in OH, but this version on tap at Smokin' Joe's was my beer of the night. Mouthfeel was creamy alcohol was smooth or non-existent on the palate, excellent version of a great beer. Drinkability overall was Class A, the type of beer I want to experience again and again from today's craft brewing industry...you can just tell this beer is labor intensive.

WVbeergeek, Feb 12, 2011