Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,537 | Reviews: 627
1.84/5  rDev -53.7%

Thanks to Boxcar01 for this intriguing bottle in trade...

Poured from the 12oz bottle into my heavy based pint glass. Deep dark black, with 1/4" of brown head that seems to be lingering. Solid layer of lacing.

Blueberries hit your nose pretty hard initially. That's followed up by dark roasted coffee beans. There's also some smoakiness in the nose as well.

Taste is mostly sweet blueberries. The coffee in the nose comes through in the taste as well, but is overpowered by the blueberries. The blueberry flavor is overly sweet, cloyingly so and is making this beer hard to palate.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin for the style. Carbonation is on the high side making for a fizzy/odd mouthfeel. I'm in the minority here but I thought this was an awful beer. I normally don't slam a beer like this but it tastes like blueberry soda mixed with bad coffee.

2.41/5  rDev -39.3%

Ok, it's official, I don't like blueberry stouts. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours black with a mocha head that fades pretty quickly with decent lacing and retention. The aromas are a blend of chocolate, coffee, and blueberries. The blueberries are very prominant and is definitely the main attraction. I personally just don't find the this marriage to be enjoyable. This has all of the great qualities I expect from a DH stout, but the blueberries really make this unpleasant. Lots of chocolate and roasted malts. Coffee/expresso is in the mix. The flavors aren't too sweet. Mouthfeel is light and creamy, nice amount of carbonation. Alcohol goes unnoticed. I was milking this one, due to the unpleasant after taste.

I've had a couple blueberry stouts before, and I didn't enjoy them. I figured if I didn't enjoy a blueberry stout from Dark Horse, who can make one I'd enjoy? If you've had a blueberry stout before and enjoyed it, then I'd definitely recommend this one. You can't really ask for much more, I just don't appreciate the flavors.

2.41/5  rDev -39.3%

12oz bottle poured into snifter; thanks to Jesse13713 for this one!

A: Pours a dark brown/black with a finger of brown foamy head, which dissipates moderately quickly without leaving lacing. Really amazed at how dark this given the low ABV; I would have expected something approaching double digits before checking on here, just from the appearance.

S: Lots of blueberry aroma here, tons of roasted chocolate, almost charred malts, with accents of wood, smoke, and vanilla. As the beer approaches room temperature it smells almost like blueberry juice.

T: Again, roasted chocolate malts provide the backbone for taste, at least in the front of the sip. Blueberry dominates the middle- not sure if I can pick anything else up beyond a bit of chocolate, and blueberry lingers for quite a while on the finish. At warmer temperatures the blueberry gains a tangy, almost bitter quality, which knocks taste down a bit.

M: Much like appearance, this is very good for a 4.5% stout. Medium-bodied and very smooth, with light carbonation and a bit of a stickiness left over on the finish.

D: A mostly hit or miss beer across its individual categories, the blueberry intensity here (without a great flavor to back it up) was just too much for this one to go down easily at all.

2.5/5  rDev -37%

12oz bottle acquired in a trade.

Was curious about this beer. Never had a blueberry stout before.

A: pitch black, with a small but very dark brown head.

S: Blueberries are very apparent, along with the roasted chocolate smell of the stout. Hints of coffee. Was excited after smelling it.

T: Yuck. It definitely smelled like blueberries more than it tasted. In fact, it almost had a vegetable taste to it that I didn't find pleasant at all. Thankfully the roasted malt takes charge, but still not enough to mask the unpleasantness of it.

2.56/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours black with a medium brown head that lingers at about an eighth of an inch. Little lacing.

Odd blueberry aroma that comes across as artificial. Slightly sweet, yeasty bread, light chocolate, roasted malts.

Upfront taste is slightly roasted bready malts and a little sweetness. Taste follows through the middle. Blueberry flavor comes through at the finish but it is very artificial like soap or plastic--not good. Finish is heavy on the blueberry plus some chocolate roastyness.

Medium body, smooth and slightly creamy, clean finish. Moderate carbonation keeps it from being syrupy.

Overall not a vey enjoyable beer. Really odd blueberry flavor and aroma. Tough to drink a whole bottle of this.

3/2/2011

2.64/5  rDev -33.5%

Bottle. Poured into a tulip glass a thick, dark brown color with a sticky mocha tan head that slowly settles. Some lace left as the head calms. Dark chocolate notes with an almost pepper like hint as well. For only 7% is smells a touch boozy as well. Light blueberry flavor in the beginning that is quickly dominated by a growing leather and roast flavor. A couple of sips of this pretty much told me exactly what kind a beer this was. Lingering roast with a slight alcohol burn. meh. Medium/heavy mouthfeel. Nice look but the aroma and smell leave a lot to be desired.

2.67/5  rDev -32.7%

I don't have a great analysis here. I just didn't enjoy the flavor of the beer.

2.68/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Wasn’t sure about this one but worth a try. Pours pitch black with a brown one finger head. Really gorgeous pour. Aroma not helping me want to drink this. I can tell it is a mix of blueberry and chocolate, but really, it kind of smells like vomit (by kind of, I mean it literally smells like last night’s dinner coming back for an encore). Just weird. Luckily, the flvaor starts out okay. Not much blueberry going on to start, but the flavor is very roasty with hints of chocolate. Definite bitterness--not expected at this level from a sweet stout--and there are definitely hops here. Slight tinge of blueberry. Roasty smokey aftertaste with some cocoa. As I get through it a bit more the blueberry really starts coming out on the finish, and then all the way through. This just ends up becoming an all blueberry beer. Sweeter and sweeter as I go. Ultimately a drainpour. I just can’t deal with this one. Admittedly, I am not a huge blueberry fan anyway. Higher carbonation for a stout, which keeps it a bit lighter than It actually is on the palate. Overall I guess they hit what they were going for. But need to work on that truly effed up aroma pI would think even for those who are blueberry fans. Certainly different and interestingly complex, but not for me. It was worth a try.

2.72/5  rDev -31.5%

The first blueberry stout that I've ever tried...

pours an oily, black that allows no light and froths only so slightly as to acknowledge a cocoa colored head. The bouquet is blueberry dominated, though it has a nice roasty (rather than sweet) tone.

To taste, the blueberry burst, which is fizzy and sweet, is subdued by a dry stout cocoa flavor. The two seem to cancel each other out and create and absent aftertaste. In other words, an explosion of flavor followed by an eerie calm. While this mix-and-match flavor profile interested me at first, I quickly grew tired of it and struggled, perhaps because of its heaviness, to finish my pint.

I'll take a pass on this one.

2.78/5  rDev -30%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A moderately fast pour creates a huge medium-brown head -- like a bubby Imperial stout. The head settles pretty quickly back down. The body is oily black and impenetrable to light. I'm a veteran stout drinker and even I was a little intimidated. Maybe too much intimidation for a flavored stout.

Smell: The blueberry is there, trailing behind the main malt aroma. The scent is bittersweet sugary malt and maybe a little boozy. The alcohol gives it a slight odor of disinfectant.

Taste: The flavor profile on the first quick sip is that of a very DARK stout. Very roasty, even a little ashy. When I hold it a bit longer, I do get some faint blueberry -- pleasant and not overwhelming -- but the body of the flavor is missing. There's black barley base and a drop of blueberry and nothing to fill it out. I'm really trying to get some malt profile but there's almost none. Disappointingly plain. No hops, either.

Mouthfeel: The body is fairly thick and leaves an ashy dryness in the back of the mouth. Carb is light-to-moderate.

Overall: Maybe I just got a bad one, but there was almost no flavor in this beer. It was just ash tray and some blueberry. With a rounder malt profile this would have been a far better experience.

2.81/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter (353-13 5148-51, so just a bit over a year old)

A: Pitch black with a small mocha head and a miniscule collar. Almost no lacing.
S: Smells deliciously of sweet malts. Touch of fruitiness in there of blueberries.
T: Reminds me of a bad craft soda. Seems like artificial blueberry. I don't know if the blueberry kills the stout, but the base stout doesn't really seem like good itself.
M: Weird strong carbonation that is like a fresh craft soda.
O: Just not good. Really weird.

2.83/5  rDev -28.7%

Black as night. Moderately aromatic, with notes of blueberry pancakes, coffee, anise and chocolate. Taste is odd, revealing more than twice its potency in flavor. A subtle blueberry flavor is present but it distracts from other flavors more than contributing a flavor. Notes of anise, ginger, strong coffee grounds and a hint of blueberry.

2.91/5  rDev -26.7%

A - The pour is thick as motor oil. The body is ultra black with an extremely dark brown head standing at about three quarters of an inch. The head fades after a short time to reveal a mirrored surface.

S - Strong coffee and dark chocolate.

T - Dark malt accented by chocolate and a hint of coffee. There's a sweet aftertaste. If I didn't know it was blueberry, I'd still taste it. I'm not that impressed with the blueberry because it adds an odd, "aged" taste that I don't care for.

M - The feel is coarse but consistent. This allows the flavors to really come through. Even though I don't care for the aftertaste brought out by the texture I have to admit the feel is good.

~ Unfortunately, the taste of brew is essential for drinkablility in my opinion. Therefore I gonna leave this brew at average. But because of the unique qualities this brew has I will recommend my pals give one a sip.

2.92/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

thin, artificial blueberry flavor and generally not very good

2.95/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The brew is brown with reddish traits, a quickly dissipating tan foam, no lacing, some curtains.

The first whiff from the bottle was intensely blueberry jam, then it quickly turns very sweetish sour (stomach acid vibe). Some sour old coffee filter.

Tasting sweet brown blueberry bread, some vanilla and dark chocolate. Roasted nuts.

Little carbonation, big bubbles, smooth and slightly oily. A faint dry finish.

This did not resonate with me, the smell was very off-putting.

2.96/5  rDev -25.4%

Thanks to autumnaldave for this bonus bottle. This pours practically black, with a very dark tan head that dissipates quickly. Smells of blueberry, molasses, and surprisingly alcohol. Tiny bit of chocolate coming through as it warms. Diving in, there's clearly a solid dry stout flavor profile here - roasty coffee, chocolate, slight nuttiness and faint oak bitterness, but the blueberry sweetness is just derailing it for me. It just dosen't mesh. Liking the dry finish but it clashes a bit with the lingering, increasingly cloying fruit. Bitterness leaves off with a strange herbal twang. Very thin mouthfeel, heavily carbonated - same sort of seltzer-like quality I noted in Double Crooked Tree. Could use a bit more body, maybe an oatmeal version, and maybe dialing back the bitter/dryness. Novel effort, but I'd much rather drink the (clearly quite good) plain old stout here that's been dressed up.

2.97/5  rDev -25.2%

12oz bottle into a tulip.

A: It pours a motor oil black color, completely opaque. There is a tan one finger head that fades quickly with no retention or lacing.

S: Blueberries out front with notes of coffee, cocoa and roasted malts providing a decent base. As the beer reaches room temperature there is not much of a change in the nose. The dimensions of the aroma don't imply any real complexity, a bit one dimensional.

T: The blueberry flavor takes the lead and never really lets up. There are hints of coffee, chocolate and roasted malts, but they are really subdued. A strange medicinal flavor to the blueberries takes hold mid palate which I find cloying and regrettable. It finishes a bit chalky and sweet.

M: Medium bodied with ample carbonation.

O: I was a bit disappointed with this beer. I thought there was some real potential in adding a hint of blueberries to a stout, but in the end the fruit was a bit to dominant for me.

2.99/5  rDev -24.7%

12oz bottle poured into my De Struise glass...A dark brown body with a huge dark tan head that rises several fingers. There is incredible lacing and retention...The aroma is very strong, as I wait for the head to fall fresh blueberries start to waif over rom a few feet away. Weirdly, as I get closer the aroma lets me down as the blueberries come off more generic and chemical. Also quite a bit of alcohol for a 4.5% beer. Weird bitter note too that are hops, totally inappropriate... The taste is really weird and boring. The blueberries come off as bitter, only a hint of sweet blueberries. There is a strange medicinal note, aloe, light very bitter, hop finish. Not very interesting or good enough that I want to keep drinking.

Interesting idea, just not executed very good. Pass.

3.01/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Shared this bottle with the wifey the other night, this came as an extra in a trade with...Kevin? Probably. Thank you low resolution due to impaired memory beer trading friend from the midwest.

Beer is black and even after a violent pour forms no head, at all. Its not even brown at the corners. Odd. No lacing or legs on the glass. Just looks like black water.

The aroma is really strong but not so much in the blueberry department. I really have to hunt for them, there is an almost tobacco aroma to this beer, very roasty and strong.

Beer is medium bodied and mildly fruity / sweet in the palate. Not sure what to think about it. It is really quite bitter. I am not really enjoying this beer and I'm glad I split it at this point. Not a repeat. Didn't taste like blueberries or smell like them. What a wreck.

3.03/5  rDev -23.7%

A: Dark brown brew with ruby highlights. Head is somewhat fizzy but settling down nicely to an uber dark beige 1/8 inch head.

S: Immediately after I poured the beer, massive blueberry aromas flowed through the air. In the lows minor milk chocolate and a bit of roasted barley can be found.

T: Starts with what tastes like razzberry otter pops. The fruit flavor here isn’t winning me over, its got an artificial angle to it. The fruity flavors go longer than I would have liked before letting some stout flavors in. Stout flavors are plain and unobtrusive with only minor coffee, cocoa or roasted barley. Finishes with more lingering berry flavors and not enough stout.

M: Medium body with a soft mouthfeel.

D: This wasn’t one of my favorites from this brewery. I could see how some like it but it didn’t suit me.

3.05/5  rDev -23.2%

Had a meaty, some what offensive taste that overwhelmed all the subtler, pleasant flavors.

3.06/5  rDev -22.9%

A: Pours an opaque jet black color. A two finger tan head quickly rises with good retention. Light lace is left behind as the foam recedes.
S: Big roasted malt up front. Acrid even. Burnt toast and slightly metallic. Light chocolate and the faintest amount of sweetness from the fruits I assume.
T: Big roasted malt and burnt toast. Acrid and astringent. Just the slightest amount of sweetness. I wish there was a lot more balance between the fruit/sweetness and the big roasted character.
M/D: A full body but a bit harsh and rough around the edges. Not the great smoothness I expect for a stout. Not hard to drink, but not something I want to come back to.

A bit to much roast and burnt toast for my liking. I am not a huge fan of fruity stouts, but I would like some more sweetness/fruit flavors to balance out the acrid burnt stout.

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

this beer starts out like every other stout. dark brown/black body, half inch of brown head that quickly settles to a little skim on top. smell is where this starts to set its self apart from the others. at first there is a strong blueberry smell with a burnt coffee and smokey over cooked bacon. the all of these smels together remind me of the cheap gas station breakfast where a pancake is wrapped around other garbage. while i have never ate that stuff from the gas station i imagine it would taste like this, and that is not good. dont know that i would recommend this to anyone.

3.12/5  rDev -21.4%

A: A black body that pours out somewhat thick, but with nothing but a faint bubble of head on top and some very very thin lacing on the side, that stays around for some odd reason.

S: Smell is a little faint, but like rich, fresh blueberries in a chocolate muffin. Also has some roasted malt qualities to it as well. Not so bad.

T: Having a rough time with this one... A very subtle flavor, but roasted malts, some licorice,and some chocolate.. Blueberries are, i guess, in the end and come off very very faint and like the smell - Kind of acidic actually. Ends pretty damn dry.

M: Mouth feel is pretty good. A medium/full body that goes down easy and leaves a coating-like feel in the mouth.

D: Well.. I dont know if this may have been a tad off or what. Either way, the bottle that I have is not too great IMO. Not a drain-pour but a definite "No thanks.." in the future.

3.2/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: It has a very viscous pour as it forms an oily black body with a thick dark brown head that looks very nice but fades out to a thin layer leaving no lacing.

Aroma: I can smell a roasted aroma from about a foot and a half away from the glass. On closer approach I get a roasted coffee-like aroma. There is a berry aroma to the beer after pulling the glass away. I wouldn't be able to identify it as blueberry without reading the label.

Taste: Roasted flavors here; some dark roast coffee and a high cocoa content bakers chcolate. I don't pickup blueberry while actually drinking the beer. My burps taste a bit like blueberries but that's a stretch...

Mouthfeel: It has a nice thick mouthfeel. It is easy to drink.

Overall: A good stout, but I wouldn't call it a blueberry stout. Skip it if you are looking for something that has blueberry flavor. I didn't expect this thing to taste like Kool-aid or anything...but some blueberry flavor would have been nice.

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company