Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,534 | Reviews: 625
3.22/5  rDev -18.9%

Blueberries on the nose, allthough my wife swears she smells only black licorice, and tastes only black licorice. Taste is all blueberry up front (to me), coffee after i've swallowed. The after taste is better for me then the in my mouth taste. The taste transition from blueberry to coffee is pretty cool though. Very different. much sweeter than i like from a stout. Something that any stout lover should try at least once based purely upon the peculiararity of it, allthough once was enough for me.

3.22/5  rDev -18.9%

Much better than most of the other blueberry beers I've had, but the taste is a off.
Pours an opaque brown/black with a thin dark brown head. Looks nice. Not very many bubbles. Smells very good, fresh blueberries and roasted malts, nice and smoky. Taste is very aggressive and acidic, heavy on malts and acrid blueberry. Way too tart, not sweet at all. Mouthfeel and drinkability are average.

3.23/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a superb color for a "blueberry stout." It is a deep, dark brown, and actually has a touch of purple in the body and in the head. Really cool stuff. The head does dissapate a little too quickly, but overall this one looks great.

Smell is blueberry-forward when poured and when a little cool. Aroma mellows as the brew warms.

Taste is interesting, I guess. The blueberry sweetness would be superb alone, but with the coffee, they just don't quite mix. The coffee flavor is a fairly standard columbia roast up front, but leaves a coffee-grind dry aftertaste that is pretty unpleasant. The blueberry flavor is fairly sweet and smooth, but the flavors just don't mix.

Mouthfeel is acceptable as well. The coffee is a bit sticky and hangs around in the aftertaste, but the sweetness from the blueberries goes away. I wish it was the other way around.

Drinkability is good here, as the flavors are mild enough and clean enough to please. This brew could pass as a dessert brew, although it could stand for a bump in ABV to beef it up.

3.27/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours pitch black, but when held up to the light the color of blueberries is evident - how cool! Smells like blueberries, coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted malt. The blueberry smell is nice, but not overwhelming. Tastes like blueberry coffee with a bit of dark cocoa mixed in - enjoyable, but primarily a dessert or end of the evening beer for me. Little carbonation and slightly creamy mouthfeel - not very pleasant, a light thin for my liking. This is a nice attempt - blueberries and coffee/chocolate come together nicely here.

3.3/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 3/16/11

Deep, inky brown; near black. A controlled pour yielded one and a half fingers of unevenly rising foam that drops over time to a thin layer. Hardly any lace until a few strands form well mid-way through the glass.

Being housed in the bottle really kills the aroma. I popped the cap and was greeted by a dry roastiness and a week, fake blueberry note. Given the chance to open up and the blueberries take hold; neither sweet nor tart really. Hints of coffee beans and espresso lie beyond.

I like that the base beer is more appreciable on the palate; dry with notions of roasted coffee and bitter chocolate off set the blueberries which are a tad sweeter than the nose suggests. There's a good bit of hop kick, too and some earthiness. After a while it seems there is more give-and-take between the blueberries and stout.

Too much carbonation agitates an otherwise full, robust mouthfeel to the point of coating (perhaps too much so). Roasty finish. Warming as opposed to boozy.

I have mixed feelings on this beer. I was enjoying it with the exception of the carbonation so I tried to swirl it down which didn't seem to help much. A good swirl brought forth some off, almost stale aromas and the flavors seemed in disarray, too. I'm taking it with a grain of salt as I otherwise enjoyed this beer; I've simply never encountered this before.

3.3/5  rDev -16.9%

I expected more from my initial impressions, but this one didn't stick to my tongue long enough to taste all that delicious blueberry I was smelling. A little coffee on the back. This might be a better stout for a warm day. It didn't hit the spot tonight.

3.32/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured from a 12oz with no dates into a pint.

Jet black with a small light brown head that quickly disappears into nothing.

Blue berries dominate the nose with some roasted malt notes peeking through underneath.

The berries are not as strong in the taste as they take a close backseat to the roasted malts, but they make up a good part of it. They linger in the finish and after taste that has some hops with it.

Has a full stouty mouthfeel, however, this isn't something I would buy again.

3.33/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a black color with no light coming through. There is a two finger dark tan/almost brown head that leaves some lacing.

Smell: Sweet ripe blueberries dominate along with some roast.

Taste: Sweet and roast with the berries more in the background than the smell. There are some dark chocolate notes as well. There is a weird aftertaste that is kind of off putting.

Mouthfeel: Thick for the abv. and a bit grainy. The carbonation is mild.

Drinkability: I really liked this beer other than the after taste. I don't think I'd have more because of it.

3.33/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours black with a very dark head that drops before you would consider it persistant.

Having brewed with fresh picked blueberries I entertained certain expections re. aroma and flavor. I would, however be challenged to use blueberries in a stout. (Blueberries go well in a wheat, steam, pale ale, and even a mead).

Aroma of blueberries is burried by roasted barley and black patent. Taste of blueberries was akin to that artificial stuff they put on snowcones and bubble gum and candy.

I may have found this more likable with out the blue Jelly Bellies. (President Reagan's passion for jelly beans inspired a Blueberry flavor, which was cooked up so he could serve red, white, and blue beans at his inaugural)
The artificial flavor only detracts from the chocolate and espresso flavors you would otherwise enjoy. Mouthfeel is slick and satisfying.

Dry finish.

3.35/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Type: 12 oz bottle
Glass: Pint
From: Tippins in Ann Arbor
Price: $2.25 for 1

Appearance: Dark black opaque beer. A little bit viscous. Tannish head that almost looks a little blue. Really good looking beer

Smell: Sweet blueberries, taken over by the roasted malts.

Taste: roasted malts, bitter dark chocolate, and finally a hint of sweet blueberries. The taste falls way short for me, the blueberries are just a hint and the beer comes out much to bitter, when I was wanting a sweet stout

Mouthfeel: pretty thick. ends quite bitter. bittersweet blueberries linger

Overall: I was expecting a lot out of this one but it underwhelmed and am i glad i bought a single rather than a four pack, or even two for that matter.

3.35/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Aggressively* poured into a dimple mug. Beer is pitch black with an inch of cocoa brown head. Blueberry is the most notable scent on the nose, and is not unpleasant but is a little cloying. Dark, dry, toasty and chocolatey with not-subtle blueberry punch, it's not unlike drinking one of those fancy schmancy chocolate-covered blueberries you see in the candy isle, though with a boozy undertone. The flavor is a bit saccharine and artificial though. Smooth and syrupy mouthfeel.

Eh. Not bad but there's nothing here that really makes me want another one. The kind of beer that you only have one of at a time.

3.39/5  rDev -14.6%

Dark Horse makes perfect looking stouts. as ive always said, massive tight dense head that billows up. Inspiring awe.
You can smell the blueberry more pronounced then i thought you would be able to, it steps out from the roasted malts really well. Of the whole series this one i was questioning the most, but so far it's very approachable. above average for sure.
The blueberry doesn't come out *as* much here on the tounge, more chocolate and roast is providing the flavor makeup but the blueberry peeks though this time.
The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a viscous black motor oil with no head and little to no carbonation evident.

Aromas begin with blueberries and coffee. When I actually bring the glass to my nostrils I get, you guessed it a crap ton of blueberry coffee. As it warms I get more soy sauce and smoked malt. A little off-putting than I remember having in the bottle several months ago.

The taste is not as dominant as the nose but thank goodness. Initially you get lots of bitter dark baker's cocoa and lesser fudge brownies a consistent artificial blueberry maple syrup.

The mouthfeel is so so so full for a 4 and change ABV beer. Carbonation is low and could definitely use a bit more considering the style. A little too syrupy. Chewy and so so so full bodied.

Overall this is not as amazing as I remember in the bottle when I first sampled last year. This is much more roasted and smokey than I remember and I prefer the lighter coffee and chocolate from the bottled version than this thick roasted acrid example.

3.42/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks for this series, Yeahnatenelson!

Appearance. Pours black with a thin, dark tan head.

Smell. Blueberry pie, chocolate and coffee. Some dark roasty malts. Nice.

Taste. Blueberry pie filling, dark coffee, a little dark chocolate ans some slight floral perfume. A little sweet and slightly tangy from the berries. Doesn't go together very well for me.

Mouthfeel. Below medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall. I didn't like the blueberry and floral tastes I was getting in this one. Didn't go very well with the base beer for me.

3.42/5  rDev -13.9%

A - As dark a brown as you're gonna see. Two inches of tan colored head sits on top.

S - The aroma is primarily roasted malt, bitter chocolate and blueberry.

T - I get mostly roasted malt. The blueberry is faint and I had hoped for much more.

M - Heavy

O - I love Dark Horse but this beer is less than I was hoping for. A decent stout, but lacking as a fruit stout IMHO.

3.42/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

I love stouts and blueberries, so I had to give this one a try. Very dark black in color, with a thin tan colored head that didn't last long. The best part of this brew is the smell. Lots of blueberries with hints of chocolate and coffee. Taste is pretty much the same with the blueberries taking a backseat to the coffee and chocolate flavours. A medium-heavy bodied mouthfeel, not much carbonation. I would recommend this stout to anybody, its worth a try, but not a session brew.

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Have to give it to this beer in the appearance department. Jet black with a thick large mocha head. Tons of carbonation for a stout, but it does leave some lace down the glass. Little lace retention.

Large amounts of blueberry, roasted malt, and herbal spicey aroma, with other dark fruit nuances. Good nose.

Unfortunately the beer is downhill from smell. Simple roasted malt with a heavy dose of blueberries. Black currant, dark chocolate, and some herbal qualities. The problem is this beer lacks depth. Super thin mouthfeel for a stout. Finish is not that greatly palatable. Worth a try but not many after that.

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured into New Belgium Globe Glass.

Pours a 1 finger dark tan head. Very full head. Decent retention due to the etching. Very little amount of lace. Color is a very dark brown, basically black. A nice looking stout.

Aroma: The obvious blueberry is there. Very tart and fresh. There is a very smokey aroma coming from this beer that I am not liking. Very malty and chocolatey. Roasted aroma as well.

Taste: Blueberries, but very well blended. Very roasted taste. Smokey. I can't get over the smoke here. Chocolate. A lot of malts going down. Tarty for a stout, but not what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: tart, smooth, and a little creamy. Full bodied. Medium level of carbonation. Leaves a very smokey aftertaste. The smoke is just all over this beer. It is too much for me.

Overall, I didn't like this beer as much as I thought I would. It was way too smokey. I would have rather had more blueberries instead of the smoke. I will not being having this again.

3.44/5  rDev -13.4%

Half pint at Black Swan Brew Pub, Plainfield, Indiana. Poured a very nice deep brown, near black, but with no head and very little lacing. Nice stout aroma, with decent roasted grains, along with a huge blueberry scent; mingles together nicely. Decent flavor, but the blueberries almost completely overwell the stout; you do get a bit of nice roasted grains, but mostly it's berry. Goes down fine, nothing grand, nothing bad. Wish it has slightly less blueberry, since this was a blueberry stout, and not a stout blueberry.

3.44/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tres Blueberry Stout poured into a mug.

Pours a very black brown with a head that left in a hurry.

Smells of syrupy blueberries and black-strap molasses. Lots of dark grains and little hops.

Taste follow the nose with more of that dark syrup. The blueberries are rummy and ripe. There's a big backing of malt that is both sweet and roasty. The bitterness in the finish is akin to spicy hops that are acting a bit late. Long sweetness in the finish.

Medium thickness, low carbonation. A little sticky sweet.

I'm not a huge fan of the blueberry stout option, but this one stands tall among the ones that I've had. Could've used something. A hoppy character. Higher malt bitterness level. More roastiness. More of a fresh fruit character. Still a quality offering from Dark Horse.

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

A. It pours a very dark black with a think creamy coffee-colored head that dissipates too quickly and doesn't leave any residual lacing; it started off so well and ended somewhat lackluster, but still a pretty beer.
S. Coffee, Chocolate, and Blueberries; it smells like a good hearty stout with a surprising amount of blueberry smell.
T. Strong blueberry up front with coffee and dark chocolate bitterness swooping in to dominate. Ends rather dry and crisp.
M. The body is difficult to discern since the carbonation level is so high - much too high for my liking.
D. I actually like the flavor more than I expected, but the carbonation level is off-putting. I continue to find that these highly carbonated brews don't work well for me even when I enjoy the flavor.

I let some of the beer warm up quite a bit while distracted with other activities and most of the blueberry flavor left, which might explain the reactions of several recent reviews. Take note: this should be poured around 40 when the blueberry smell and flavor is more evident.

3.47/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours out properly stouty black, but almost no head to speak of, just some faint tan whisps around the edges. Smell is very appealing though, the normal stout roasty air with a strong and mildly sweet blueberry twinge on the edge.

The flavour: A strong dose of those roasted malts are present from the get-go, along with the blueberry that one would expect. This is accompanied by definite...earthy (coffee grounds picked up off the forest floor and then put into the beer?) tones and a mild bitter that lends to the experience. There are some hints of chocolate along the way as well. Overall solid, but unspectacular..

The mouth on this is good but for the overly low amount of carbonation, I don't require much, but this was borderline missing. The viscuity is good though, so it still manages a 4. The drinkability on this is below average though, it's a decently original execution, but this is nothing I would want to have regularly.

Good for the novelty factor, but probably won't pick this one up again.

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours w/short brown head over a used-motor-oil like color.

Aromas are unique. Lots of blueberry pie, along with some traditional stout qualities of dark chocolate, roasted beans, etc. But the blueberry dominates.

Traditional American Stout qualities come through more in the flavor - roasted, but mellow coffee beans. Bittersweet chocolate. Then the blueberry battles it out, but ultimately finishes with roasted malts - residual bitterness remains. Fairly thin on the palate for the ABV, but good versus other Amer Stouts.

A fun beer, but not one that I can have more than 2 of in one sitting. Was hoping for more of the sweetness in the aromas to carry thru into the flavor.

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Whoa, super dark-thick pour with a nice full finger of dark brown head over a pitch liquid. Smells blueberry. Sort of mediciney articifial. A bit of chocolate and some roast. This bottle was provided by deejaydan as part of BIF33. Funny, as long ago, I once worked at a fast food resturant in Marshall.

Tastes blueberry on the pull that later mixes with chocolate and some roast. As I consider blueberry fruit to be a mild flavor, I find it amazing they are able to get such a potent blueberry flavor in this beer. I wonder if it's added as an articial flavoring. Tastes similar to a blueberry extract I once purchased at a homebrew store. This could be the real deal, however, as I think I get a dry seedy quality. Dry mocha coffee with a 'mealy' milk-protein quality (curds?). Aftertaste is dry and and roasty. A touch of alcohol.

Dextrinous thick mouthfeel with medium carbonation. An enjoyable beer, but a bit dry. Happy to try one bottle, but glad I don't have a 6er.

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Opaque....really opaque. Totally black with a bit of wispy head and nice legs.
Smell is lots of blueberries with just a hint of the stout behind it. Bit of coffee and some typical stout notes.
Taste is a bit thin compared to the smell. The blueberries don't overpower at all. The stout is very mild as are the blueberries. A bit disappointing an nothing really comes through as a dominant note.
Mouthfeel is thin and the beer is a bit too carbonated for a stout. Not bad to sip but needs the right food

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company