Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 615 | Hads: 1,554
4.07/5  rDev +1%

Moderate beige head. Leaves some chunky lace on the glass. The liquid is near black where no light passes.

Very attractive smell of dark chocolate and slightly sour blueberry. The stout smell wins, but only by a (forgive the pun) nose.

This is, first and foremost, a stout. The blueberry is definitely a spice in this beer; I think it enhances the flavor pleasantly. There's a subtle sweetness to this beer. Yet, it is not sweet enough to be a sweet stout, nor can it be described as a dry stout. It's like a blend. The finish and aftertaste has the blueberry show up one last time. (584 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Served in my FOBAB mini-pint glass (so I could share with the wife).

A - Two fingers of dark mocha foam that dissipates fairly quickly with minimal lacing. Pitch black, with only the slightest hint of brown at the edges. Good lookin' stout.

S - Huge blueberry smell, and not the fake blueberry flavor either, but really ripe berries. There's also some roasted malt and a hint of chocolate, but all I can really think of is blueberry pancakes.

T - There's a lot of blueberry up front, but then it morphs into some dark chocolate and strong roasty bitterness that I don't like quite as much. The aftertaste is a mix of coffee-like bitterness and sour blueberry, and gets a little tiring.

M - Surprisingly thin, although with a 4.5% ABV I'm not totally surprised. Moderate carbonation, but not in porter territory. It's appropriate for the style.

D - The bitterness gets to be too much pretty quickly. I was happy with my 6oz pour, but didn't feel the need to open another bottle or mooch from my wife's pour.

It's kind of gimmicky but still a pretty solid brew. Not something where I'd want to have more than one serving. (1,125 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary tulip.

a - Pours a jet black color with one finger of tan head that leaves very quickly and moderate carbonation evident. Looks exactly like Dark Horse's Too.

s - Smells of blueberries, roasted malts, chocolate, bready malts, light toasted malts, and light vanilla. The blueberries are not overpowering but complement the normaly roasted malts and chocolate of a stout. Very enjoyable if you like blueberries.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, bitter chocolate, coffee, toasted and burnt malts, and very light blueberries and fruit. The taste is good and enjoyable, but a step down from the nose. The blueberries don't seem to come through like they do in the nose; the roasted malts and bitter coffe/chocolate dominate it a bit.

m - Relatively light body for a stout and moderate to high carbonation.

d - Overall this is a really nice stout. I loved the nose and really thought the blueberries came through in it. I think the bitter chocolate and coffee muted the blueberries in the taste a bit, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Would certainly have again. (1,128 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

appearance is utter opacity, head is huge and toasted tan, lush and long-lasting.
Aroma wafts out on bottlecap's release, it's every bit the epitome of a classic stout nose, rich and roasty, with this extra fruity edge...interesting...bittersweet, and delectable...I'm urging further into actual imbibing...
And it's a step well-approved, a genuinely tasty stout is sampled, something rich, dark, full-bodied, yet still capturing a subtle fruity quality that emits subtle rewards. Honestly, a blueberry stout? Well, I've had cherry stouts, and heard of banana stouts, what the hey, eh? There it is, that subtle, delightful, fruity flavor riding just on top of the darker character of the stout.
One of the oddest labels I've looked at lately, a twisted ribbon, a button, and the word "tres", not sure if it's the French "very" or the Spanish "three"...who cares, the integration of these flavors is so impressive, so seamless, the quality is so incredible, we can forgive certain uncertainties. Wow, this is truly a perfect blend of flavors here, and I'm glad to have had the priviledge to try it.
Weird labels, great beer...that's Dark Horse. (1,148 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled this year(new label). Pours pitch black color with a nice 2 finger fairly dense tan head with good retention that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some decent spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, blueberry, roasted malt, caramel, coffee, and a bit of smokiness. Fantastic aromas, smells very much like fresh blueberries. Very authentic. Taste of dark chocolate, roasted malt, blueberry, coffee, caramel, toast, and light herbal hops. Fair amount of coffee bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, blueberry, coffee, roasted malt, and caramel on the finish for a good bit. Great balance of flavors; very nice showcase of the blueberry and roasted chocolate notes. Medium carbonation and body; with a very nice highly creamy and slightly slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is very well hidden at 7%, with only a slight warming after the finish present. Overall this is a highly excellent stout. Probably the best I have had with fruit in it. Great balance and big robust flavors; with very smooth drinking for the alcohol level. (1,102 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Undated 12 oz bottle poured into a Fat Cat pint glass. The bottom of the empty bottle was black due to a layer of sediment.

A: Pours opaque and black with a small, creamy, light brown head that is quite durable. Full coats of lacing are left behind after each tilt of the glass.

Aroma: Dark roasted grains; baked blueberries; blueberry syrup; coffee; dark chocolate.

Taste: Blueberry and dark roasted grains of about equal strength complement each other. This stout has a light and well-chosen sweetness despite dark chocolate and coffee notes. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Feel: Creamy and full body with soft medium-low carbonation.

O: Not quite as delicious as Shipyard's Smashed Blueberry, this flavorful stout does have an ample blueberry component, an appealing aroma, and nicely balanced flavors. (811 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Shared this bottle with the wifey the other night, this came as an extra in a trade with...Kevin? Probably. Thank you low resolution due to impaired memory beer trading friend from the midwest.

Beer is black and even after a violent pour forms no head, at all. Its not even brown at the corners. Odd. No lacing or legs on the glass. Just looks like black water.

The aroma is really strong but not so much in the blueberry department. I really have to hunt for them, there is an almost tobacco aroma to this beer, very roasty and strong.

Beer is medium bodied and mildly fruity / sweet in the palate. Not sure what to think about it. It is really quite bitter. I am not really enjoying this beer and I'm glad I split it at this point. Not a repeat. Didn't taste like blueberries or smell like them. What a wreck. (814 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served on-tap at Drop Off Service in New York, NY

A: Pours an opaque jet black in color with some very dark amber highlights and a very light amount of visible carbonation. The beer has a half finger tall dense dark tan head that reduces to a very thin film covering about half the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of dark roasted malts and blueberry.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of dark roasted malts which are followed by some light flavors of natural blueberry - the blueberry is not sweet or artificial tasting. Very light amounts of bitterness in the finish which fade almost instantly.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth.

O: Overall the beer is very well balanced between the flavors from the malts and the blueberry. I thought this was pretty interesting but not sure I would have another in a single session. (951 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured into New Belgium Globe Glass.

Pours a 1 finger dark tan head. Very full head. Decent retention due to the etching. Very little amount of lace. Color is a very dark brown, basically black. A nice looking stout.

Aroma: The obvious blueberry is there. Very tart and fresh. There is a very smokey aroma coming from this beer that I am not liking. Very malty and chocolatey. Roasted aroma as well.

Taste: Blueberries, but very well blended. Very roasted taste. Smokey. I can't get over the smoke here. Chocolate. A lot of malts going down. Tarty for a stout, but not what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: tart, smooth, and a little creamy. Full bodied. Medium level of carbonation. Leaves a very smokey aftertaste. The smoke is just all over this beer. It is too much for me.

Overall, I didn't like this beer as much as I thought I would. It was way too smokey. I would have rather had more blueberries instead of the smoke. I will not being having this again. (964 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%

Served into a pint glass on tap at Canal Street Pub.

A: Oily dark black, some violet hues around the edges in direct light. A small, quickly dissipating beige head accompanies and turns into virtually nothing. Flat looking.

S: The blueberries are not hard to find. Immediate notes of pressed blueberry, light smoke, bitter chocolate and leather.

T: Nice eclectic blend of flavors. It starts off as a moderately roasted stout with very little going on. The blueberry comes through in the finish and into the linger, providing a much needed and definitely welcomed, change of pace from your typical stout.

M: A little thin, and even the lower-end carbonation doesn't save the mouth feel. I was just expecting a bit more body.

For only being 4.5% ABV, the Tres drinks like a much bigger stout. Not necessarily that there are overwhelming hints of alcohol, but something seems too over the top big for such a small beer. I would revisit for sure, but not something I could sit and drink for more than one pint. (1,011 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a pitch black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a stiff black malt earthiness as well a touch of chocolate malt sweetness. The blueberry aroma is fresh and damn enticing. There is a nice roasted character here. The taste is decent. It's bone dry with lots of roasted black malts present. It goes down easy with a bit of prickly carbonation. The blueberry flavoring seems artificial; most likely extract, which is disappointing. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a full bodied beer with a little too much carbonation. This is an interesting beer that I believe needs some minute tinkering. It's a good drinker that I wouldn't shy away from buying in the future. (730 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Pours nearly black in color with a head that is very darkly tanned to almost brown. The head is about a finger strong and displays very good retension. Nose of this beer has an abundant amount of dark/burnt grain character along with chocolate, coffee and overall it is just very roasty. However, behind the normal stout character and aroma there is the fruity sweetness and smell of blueberries. Taste of this beer is a bit puzzling...but in a good way. It has a solid taste profile of a well made stout: flavors of bitter burnt grains, chocolate, coffee and even the alcohol is present. However, there is no getting around it, there is clearly a blueberry flavor added in there as well. Each sip yields a different experience from the blueberry's standpoint: sometimes blending throughout the body playing an interesting role with the other flavors, to sometimes being sweet, bold and upfront and then yet almost nonexistent until the finish in other sips. The feel of this beer is light and the carbonation is quite high. In fact, I would have marked the feel and drinkability higher but the carbonation is a bit over the top.

Very interesting experience. I have had other fruited stouts and enjoyed them as much as I enjoy this one. The blueberry was an interesting choice and I think it goes well. (1,303 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -0.2%

Typical stout appearance. Near black opaque body with a thick beige head. The aroma brings the blueberries right away. Blueberry, chocolate, roast. Smells very inviting. The flavor offers more roast and chocolate initially, with blueberries coming in mid palate. Quite tasty. Medium bodied with a bit of sweetness, but not nearly as much as I was expecting. Dry finish. I would definitely have this again. (405 characters)

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a very dark brown to black color with a tan head. The aroma is roasted malt with a touch of blueberries. There is not as much fruit in the aroma as I expected. The flavor is different, as the fruit is much more apparent. I get a lot of blueberry character as well as some roasted malt and a touch of smoke. The beer has a slight medicinal tastes, but it works OK in this beer. There is a strong, lingering blueberry aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (526 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

This is totally out of my comfort zone, since I am not a fruity guy, I prefer AIPAs to stouts and I usually defer to CANs vice bottles, but I was goaded into the purchase by one of the co-owners of The Fridge.

My pour resulted in two-plus fingers of thick deep-brown head with good retention. Color was a stygian, dense dark brown that allowed for ZERO light penetration. Nose was, indeed, tres blueberry! Redolent with blueberries, in fact. How can you go wrong with blueberries? They are full of antioxidants and I like to pop a handful in my mouth and bite down for an explosion of blueberries. That is what this tasted like, along with a slight coffee-like bitterness. Wow! Mouthfeel was medium and if it could have been just a little creamier, I would have been heaven-sent. Finish lingered with the taste of blueberry and I was thankful that I followed someone else's suggestion. (887 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone IRS glass. It poured black in color with a fizzy tan head filling the top inch of the glass. The head settled pretty quickly and left a thin ring around the edges of the glass as I drank it.

The blueberries come through pretty well in the aroma. I get a fresh fruit, juicy, sweeter, berry like quality coming through. A little bit of the chocolate and roasty flavors come through and go with the berries pretty nicely actually.

The taste starts out with more of the sweeter, berry character to it. Midway it starts to turn more roasty and bitter with some chocolate and coffee notes coming through. The dry, roasty, slightly burnt character lasts through the finish and lingers for a bit. The blueberry gives it a pretty nice flavor throughout the beer though.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is high. Overall it was a pretty nice beer, the blueberries really worked well for it. I especially liked how they interacted with the bitter, roasty flavors. Definitely an interesting and tasty beer overall and one of the better fruit stouts I've had. (1,106 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Tres went into a regular kitchen glass, my second in the series, I hope to try all 5 someday.

Tres appears black in the glass with some brown trimmings around town. There is some yeast clumps on the bottom of the bottle so be careful pouring. A nice dark brown foam on top almost creamy looking became a ring around the glass with minor stickage on the glass.

After letting this warm for a few the blueberry really came out to blossom, it became the main scent with almost a captain crunch berry smell. Under that roasted malt, chocolate, slight grain. I'm wondering if they use regular berries or puree or the like for this. While the berries are big you can tell there is a stout under them.

This could be one of the best 'berry' infused stouts that i've had. While the berries are big they don't overshadow the stout and don't taste artificial. Blueberries, roasted malts, chocolate a hint of vanilla finished with more berries. I was going in expecting bad things but this is a pleasant surprise.

The feel is semi thick with a slight syrup vibe going for it. The carbonation is low but felt with a slight prick in the beginning before I was bombarded by berry sweetness. Finishes smooth and coating. I can't believe this is only 4.5%, it feels like it's much more with the body.

I liked this very much, I'm leary on blueberry beers because I find the taste to be a lot like morning cereals, but Dark Horse really impressed me with this offering. I would not drink more than one in a sitting even with the low ABV, but I see myself getting this again in the future. (1,574 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from the bottle, into a Dogfish Head snifter glass.

WOW! What an absolutely great dark brown chocolate, and uniform folding head on this. Pours out of the bottle nearly black, body appearance is incredibly dark black/brown. Faint tiny foam lacing around the glass in sheets as I swirll and tilt. This thing looks unreal.

Nose is what it is. Blueberry, not syrupy, not jammy, not sugary, just fruit blueberry. It's a great example of the fruit on the nose. a faint malt and roast, but it is wonderfully fruit dominant very nicely. Nearly perfect.

Taste is a big ambush, but I like it. Tobacco fronting palate mixing with almost coffee and char. Fruit angle completely seems oblivious but who cares. Incredibly aftertaste of char and ashes character. No sense of sweetness or tasting blueberry. A true roasty stout and good.

Overall, it's a smelling blueberry cigar dipped in a big roasty malty stout. Absolutley love this even if it doesn't taste like blueberry. Fantastic! (984 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle

Opaque black, no highlights or light passing through with a steady thick tan/mocha head that has great retention but very little lacing. Looks like an amazing stout. Rich, complex aroma of a roasted malt, smoke, dark chocolate, a little coffee, etc. Finishes with slightly sweet note of blueberry, not quite as strong as I hoped for, but again smells like a great stout. Creamy medium thick body with minimal carbonation. Flavor begins and ends with mild blueberry sweetness and body has great balanced flavored with strong roasted malt flavor with chocolate, smoke and other dark flavors like the nose. Easily one of my favorite easy drinking beers. I would actually prefer a little more fruit flavor, but otherwise no complaints. (745 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +2%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Alchemist pint glass. Another Dark Horse brew from chpueblo22.

Appearance - Another inky black stout from Dark Horse! I'm always impressed. No half-measures with the stouts from these guys. This one, though, actually retains a bit of its head. Maybe it's the change of glassware (this is narrower than a traditional pint glass).

Smell - When it's cold, the blueberry is quite prominent and the stout is an afterthought. As it warms, the aromas blend into a complex, although not necessarily better, nose. The bitter coffee comes through with the blueberry in a way that is interesting, but not all that complementary.

Taste - The flavors do blend nicely on the palate, though. The blueberry is up front, but still takes a backseat to the stout until the finish. The stout is dark roast driven, like One and Too Cream, yielding intense coffee and dark chocolate flavors. The blueberry really shines in the finish as the stout drops off. It's quite a nice flavor for a stout, really.

Mouthfeel - Not as bitter as the other Dark Horse stouts I've had. It still has a bitter finish from the roast, but it isn't as intense. It's decently carbed and seems just a touch sweet from the blueberry flavor.

Overall - Good stuff. A flavor I wouldn't expect to go well. The stout tames a dominant blueberry flavor nicely and I don't feel like I'm drinking a fruit beer. I could use a couple more of these. (1,426 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received in trade from barak316, thanks for the opportunity. A vigorous pour produces jet black body with tight tan head that looks like poetry in a glass. It smells like blueberry muffins as soon as I pop the cap. Roasty herbal earthy aromas as well as some berries upon closer sniffing. Taste is herbal and earthy up front to the point of being annoying. That slowly fades into a burnt sugar roasted kind of thing. Long lingering caramel roasty sweetness with a touch of heat in the finish. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation, and a rough sticky mouthfeel. This kind of grew on me as I drank it, but its not one of my favorites. This for me was very similar to the two with the addition of blueberry flavoring? (732 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft at Bridgids.

Pours pitch black and completely opaque with a frothy 2.5 finger dark mocha color that has excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lastig cap. Streaks of lacing left behind.

Roasted dark malt aroma with lots of chocolate malt, oatmeal, toffee, burnt toast and a subtle dark fruit presence. The dark berry presence is well integrated, balancng out the deep roasty notes.

Full bodied with a nice creamy texture that adds fullness and complexity. Verydry and roasty with hits of bittersweet dark chocolate, coffee bean and burnt toast hut this is balanced out by subtle dry spic and swee dark fruit. The bluberry presence is evident but not verly sweet balancing outthe roasted malt notes very well. Slight alcohol warmth onthe finish. Pretty drinkable for how heavy it is. (802 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a dark, opaque, black-ish color with a thin, filmy, brown head that clings around the glass. Aromas of blueberry tart and sweet, with a heavy dose of roasted coffee in the backbone. Flavors are rich and creamy, with a mocha backbone giving rise to a subtle sweet blueberry ribbon of sweetness. The fruit imparts a blueberry muffin character to the brew, and there are roasty highlights throughout. Very robust, on a smooth, full body. Roasty and fruity aftertaste, with a balancing bitterness. Clean, slightly dry finish. Very good. (585 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appears a black color with a thick tan head that refuses to yield. Lots of scattered thick tan lacing all over the glass.
Smell is odd with a funky dark roast coffee and blueberries. A mild bit of medicinal nonsense coming through that isn't overly appealing but the pleasantries buried in the back of this one keep me intrigued.
Taste is sweet with blueberries, roasty, rich, with creaminess coming through.
Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, fully bodied, along with the blueberry sweetness lingering. (500 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours black, small dark brown head that quickly fades to a thin lace, somewhat sticky.
Chocolate and roasted malts first in the smell, with some blueberries also present, sweet and a tiny bit sour, faint coffee too.
Taste of dark chocolate covered overripe blueberries, with the first dominating the latter. The roasted malts help too, dusty cocoa, and a touch of sourness starts showing up bit by bit. Finishes with roast and some hops that make up a nice mild bitterness, and fortunately a bit of the fruit gets through to the aftertaste.
Smooth body, chewy, not heavy and robust tho, zingy at times.
It's nice that the addition of blueberries is subtle, feels natural and helps the "dark fruit" characteristic of the beer, without messing with the great "stout" notes of this beer. (784 characters)

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company