Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -5%

4oz sample - shared the bottle with 2 others. Pours black like the others in the series. No transparency. Nice creamy brown head, which leaves minimal lacing on the glass. Aromas are obvious sweet blueberries, roasted malts, and chocolate. Mouth-feel is creamy and smooth. Flavors are milk chocolate, espresso, and finishes fairly boldly with roasted malts and fresh, ripe blueberries that are not overbearing in flavor - this was something I was concerned with prior to drinking it. They were actually quite pleasant. I liked this unique stout and it was worth the try, given it was in a series of 5, but wouldn't try it again.

barnzy78, Apr 08, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Popped open a bottle and was immediately greeted with the smell of blueberries. Fantastic.

Beer pours a pitch black, blacker and thicker than I would have with expected with a 1+ inch cocoa colored head.

While the initial scent was blueberry, it was soon taken over by dark chocolate. Strong. Lots of roasted malt. Definitely some coffee, though it almost seems that is the blueberry and the roast converging rather than a unique smell. The smells remind me a bit of a porter rather than a stout. Still nice.

Great, complex flavor. Lots of blueberry, but subtle and not at all overdone. Pretty much the same flavors as the nose would indicate. Great balance of flavors - blueberry gives way to roast, coffee and chocolate, before a chocolate blueberry flavor coats the palate. I can't get over how good this is.

Quite a fair bit of carbonation again gives the beer a bit of a porter quality. Not a bad thing, but worth noting.

I find that often times a lot of 'interesting' or creative beers offering different takes on a style (or a wildly different take) don't really work (see my Aprihop, 120 min or Autumn Maple reviews). I like to try for curiosity sake, but I don't often love the beer. The Tres, however, is FANTASTIC. The blueberry makes the beer interesting, complex and tasty. I enjoyed this all the way through. A noteworthy beer and now one I need to figure out how to get my hands on with regularity. Damn, fair to say I am blown away.

yeastsipper, Mar 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

This is an impressive beer. It is a perfect blend of blueberries and cream and a milk stout. The aroma seems creamy and roasty with a subtle but clearly noticable blueberry note.

Nice plump overripe blueberries are a big part of the taste but they never overwhelm the stout characteristics...iinstead they complement the sweet stout base which features strong notes of dark chocolate notes, and light java.

Body is medium...creamy to begin and then slightly acidic from the blueberries at the finish.

This is a rich beer but not a big ABV beer. Still, it is a sipper and one I would not want more than two of at a time. Never the less this is one of the better flavored stouts I have had.

ZAP, Mar 28, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

pours jet black with chocolate cream head that quickly disappears with very light retention.

has light blueberry scents with hints of dark cherry and roasted malts

strong roasted malt backbone with hints of blueberry and cherry mixed with light dark chocolate notes. very smooth.

very thick and motor oil like, slightly higher carbonation than i would prefer. id say a strong medium carbonation. coats the tongue.

this is one good stout, not overpowering in any way. i only picked up one and plan on grabbing a few more. super low ABV means drink up!

hooliganlife, Mar 28, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

A - Pours a dark, dark brown that just begs you to get lost inside. Mocha colored head that dissipates very quickly.

S - Blueberry(who would've figured) and roasted malt. Fantastic, I wish they made a candle that smelled like this.

T - The blueberry is much more subtle in the taste as opposed to the smell. Big roasty flavors. Some coffee. Big roast. Very good.

M - A little thin. Not bad but not great. At 4.5% what do you expect though.

D - I find this to be very drinkable. Great flavor and only 4.5 ABV. If I was the type to drink one beer all night I could do this one easily.

infestaxion, Mar 27, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Aggressive pour yields 2 fingers of brown head with okay retention. Black opaque liquid. Pretty.
S: Bright fruity berry edge on a malty center. Tangy, a little estery alcohol.
T: Roast and funky fruit up front fade to a roasted malt aftertaste. Coffee and chocolate flavors dominate the 2nd mouthful, where'd the fruit go? Very tasty as it progresses, though some DMS lingers in the aftertaste. Though the funky fruit flavor was only in the first sip, some fruit flashes up front later on and doesn't meld well.
M: Bright quickly, then lots of bitter dark malt. I think I'd like more smoothness. Oily.
D: Fair, I would not order another or a six pack.

dfillius, Mar 27, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

Not generally a fan of fruit-laced stouts... let's see how this one stacks up.

Appearance: Completely opaque, black, with a thin dark brown head. Looks velvety.

Smell: Hmm, interesting. Strong grainy malt presence that mixes perfectly with the sweet fruity blueberries. Usually in these types of beers one dominates the other, but it's a perfect mix here. Very nice aroma, sweet malts and fruits.

Taste: Again, a nice mix. The blueberry fruitiness is most prominent on the tip of the tongue in the beginning of the beer, and the dry roasted maltiness becomes more prominent as the beer finishes. Dry aftertaste, grainy texture. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Moderate thickness, heavy carbonation. Coats the tongue nicely.

Drinkability: Chalk this one up as a happy surprise. I can definitely see myself buying this again.

danielharper, Mar 25, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Served in my FOBAB mini-pint glass (so I could share with the wife).

A - Two fingers of dark mocha foam that dissipates fairly quickly with minimal lacing. Pitch black, with only the slightest hint of brown at the edges. Good lookin' stout.

S - Huge blueberry smell, and not the fake blueberry flavor either, but really ripe berries. There's also some roasted malt and a hint of chocolate, but all I can really think of is blueberry pancakes.

T - There's a lot of blueberry up front, but then it morphs into some dark chocolate and strong roasty bitterness that I don't like quite as much. The aftertaste is a mix of coffee-like bitterness and sour blueberry, and gets a little tiring.

M - Surprisingly thin, although with a 4.5% ABV I'm not totally surprised. Moderate carbonation, but not in porter territory. It's appropriate for the style.

D - The bitterness gets to be too much pretty quickly. I was happy with my 6oz pour, but didn't feel the need to open another bottle or mooch from my wife's pour.

It's kind of gimmicky but still a pretty solid brew. Not something where I'd want to have more than one serving.

MasterSki, Mar 25, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Duvel tulip glass. Appears a dark brown, almost black color with a hearty finger of rich dark tan foam. Really nice to look at. Smells reminds me of chocolate covered dried blueberries. Kind of like the ones Harry & David sells/used to sell. Notes of molasses and raisins are also evident. Tastes of rich roasted grains, caramel, mocha, and real blueberries. Nothing artificial or fake about the smell and taste of the blueberries. Medium (maybe a touch thin) in body with medium carbonation. Out of the handful of blueberry stouts that I've tried, this is no doubt the best by a huge margin.

ClockworkOrange, Mar 24, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +5%

Single bottle from Famous Liquors in Lombard, IL.

A: Pours black with a beautiful two fingered mocha head with good lacing on the glass.

S: Blueberry bomb in the smell. Almost like blueberry pancakes. Have to struggle to pick up roasted malts.

T: Blueberry is less pronounced in the flavor, but it's still there. More of the traditional roasted malts, coffee and a slight amount of bitter chocolate.

M: Mouthfeel is solid. Creamy carbonation and it goes along well with the flavor.

D: very easy to drink, can't pick up alcohol and the flavor tastes nice.

dukedevil0, Mar 24, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Very dark brown in color but a very slight bit of light can be spotted glinting around the edges. The modest head is a warm dark tan color that leaves a thin cap and spotty lacing. The scent is all about blueberries. Not a fake one either. Like whiffing a bowl of them. Sweet and natural. It does jump out of the a little almost like there's blueberry muffins baking in the oven but none of those "something may not be right" thought that I've experienced plenty of times in the past.
A creamy warm roasted malt is the base of it's flavor. Dark coffee and chocolate abounds til the blueberry envelopes them in a stately but not overstated manner. The finish is a nice balance of all the flavors that leave enough time to savior but not staying around too long.

Dalem, Mar 23, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +17.6%

WOW!!!

Simply Amazing!!!

Worth the $2.75 per bottle...ahhh, YEAH!!! No question. Almost Perfection in a bottle.

Love the blueberry. Fits very nice with a stout!

This is one fantastic Stout. I am so impressed. Blueberries, Chocolate, Burnt Carmel, Bitterness, Creamy, Thick, Black, Low ABV....what else is there to say. This is by far one of my favorite beers to date. It is almost...dare I say...perfect. Exceptional Stout. I love the fact that it is such a low ABV. I could sip on this beer all night. Dark Horse, you do impress me.

Open the bottle and you smell blueberries. But it is not overpowering at all. Very nice. I also love the fact that it is THICK with a small dark brown head that laces down the glass as it is drank. Amazing....absolutely amazing. I wish that this beer was made all year but it is not. I will definitely be waiting for its release next year.

Thanks Dark Horse. Keep up the great, fantastic, work. INCREDIBLE!!!

schellsbeer, Mar 22, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +8%

Great BA buddy, CDKrenz shared this brew with me-Cheers!

Poured into a pint glass this brew is a deep black with a consistency of oil. There was a strong dark brown head with fat bubbles that settled to a thin ring around the glass, but not an actual cap. The aroma is strong of blueberry (and I am not a fruit guy), but aside from that a deep coffee and strong roast come through. I am anxiously awaiting how the sweetness of the blueberry mingles with the dryness of the coffee.

WOW! That is something. Not an overwhelming blueberry taste. This is a thick, strong brew, with great coffee, chocolate, and just the slightest blueberry hint in the after taste. Nothing of what I expected it to be, better! I could get a little sick of the aftertaste if drinking more than one or two, but if like today when I am just having an after dinner drink, this is fantastic!

WJVII, Mar 19, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter. Pitch black with a small, fizzy brown head that quickly recedes, save a thin ring around the perimeter. Very nice.
I can immediately discern the blueberry aroma, and it is quite nice. Coffee and roasted malts as well. But the blueberry keeps hitting my nose and my nose likes it.
The taste does not disappoint. Again, the blueberry presence is very noticeable, and it is welcome. Coffee and chocolate is evident as well.
The mouthfeel is very nice- perfect level of carbonation, and a low level of bitterness that works wonderfully for this type of stout. Fairly dry finish is just right as well.
Very drinkable, in my opinion. The blueberry flavor is present, but subdued just enough that it is not overwhelming or saccharine.
Excellent, well-rounded, and unique stout.

WilliamD, Mar 19, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +3%

12oz bottle poured into a guinness tulip. Not your typical st. pattie's irish brew, but at least I'm using the glass!

Unlike last night's edition (too cream stout), this one pours with a healthy 2 inch head - I was probably a bit over aggressive.

a- solid, light brown head with medium sized bibbles which quickly dissipated to a reasonable level. Dark but not intimidating.

s- strong nose of blueberry. I'm half expecting that wheat smell I've come to expect anytime I smell blueberry in a beer, but this one has full nose to it with some roasted grains and a hint of coffee behind it. The blueberry scent is natural, not overly sweet

t- just like it smells, a well balanced, natural blueberry flavor throughout on top of a stout. A touch of roasted barley, but not much for a stout. I can't recall ever having another blueberry stout, so this may be the first. I'm impressed.

m- viscous, but not thick. carbonation is right on. sweet on the finish, but not artificially so

d- the competing flavors of roasted barley with a hint of coffee and fresh blueberry cause it to be a bit fatiguing and it exceeds my expectations for depth of a fruit stout. Drinkability could be better and ranks alongside bigger/more powerful stouts due to the competing flavors. That said, I'm thoroughly enjoying my 12oz, but I'm not sure I'd want a 22oz of this, which isn't a compliment given the very moderate ABV

overall an enjoyable, unique beer (in that I've never had a blueverry stout before...plenty of blueberry beers and stouts, but never together). This easily surpasses a "black and blue" combination of guinness and wachusett blueberry (the local favorite). Drinkability could really be higher all things considered, but its an all around pleasant beer - and hopefully one I will drink again. Thanks to weirdbeer for hooking this up in our trade.

fo5s, Mar 18, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -2%

this brew pours up black with a nice brown head. nice lacing. the nose is blueberries, chocolate malts, sweet and roasty malts too. I taste big toasty malts combating with intense blueberry acids creating this crazy battle in my mouth! good but weird in a way. slight hop bittering in the finish. full bodied, med to low carbo. decent. Not Dark Horse's best work but very interesting enough. Hats off....

stumac, Mar 17, 2009

this pours a dark midnight blue/black color with very little head but a great looking amber/ black ring and lacing til the finish..very nice..the smell is blueberry and cocoa first followed by toasted malts and hop smells it tells you this is going to be a different/good stout..the taste is not of strong blueberry just a hint (great) with toasted biscuit ,coffee malt chocolate and cream tastes ..yum! the mouth feel fills the tongue nose and stomach with a superb flavor..this is a very good stout ( easy drinking and low ABV for the style) for me and a great offering from dark horse..BTW 2 of my new favorite breweries are from michigan ... founders and now dark horse..oh and lets not forget BELLS

gatornation, Mar 08, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Poured like oil, only the slightest hint of light passes through at the edge, definite undertones of blue, nice cream though thin layer of head - 4.75, S: An intense aroma like that of an imperial stout with very obvious blueberries, enticing signs of espresso and molasses mixed what appears to some generous hops - 4.50, T: Quite a clash of flavors large as a result of the blueberries which play a dominant role, concentrated molasses, bitter hops on the tail - 4.25, M: Slight hints of graininess, some creaminess as well - 4.50, D: My second brew from Dark Horse, and like the first this beer excels, an extreme beer packed with flavor and well suited as an after dinner drink - 4.25

deereless, Mar 07, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +8%

G: Poured into a 16-ounce pint glass with the Two Brothers Heavy Handed IPA logo on it.

A: Pours a very dark, rich brown with a mocha-colored head. The head is a little light, perhaps a bit less than a finger with a decent amount of carbonation visible on top.

S: Dark malt up front, soon overpowered by the glow of blueberries. A slight hint of alcohol.

T: Very intriguing. Blueberries up front, fading into darker malts and a decent amount of bitterness. Hints of unrefined cocoa. A decent amount of coffee in the finish. I was worried about blueberry overkill, but that was definitely unfounded.

M: Creamy with a lasting carbonation. Leaves the palate slightly dry.

D: Quite drinkable. I was a little bit skeptical of this one and wasn't quite willing to go after the 4-pack, but was lucky enough to see a single of this. This will definitely be a yearly purchase.

Thorpe429, Mar 07, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Very dark, with some nice caramel colored head on top. The head is thick and creamy. Looks very nice. 4.

S: Deep dark chocolate, and malt.. Not a lot of fruit in there, but we'll see what else this brings to the table..

T: Interesting, bitter and tart up front with just a hint off blueberries, then it mellows to a chocolate, flavor. Tastes a like roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Develops a bit more berry taste as it gets warmer..

M: A little thick going down, coats the mouth..

D: Good, but not something that I would really buy over anything else. There is not enough blueberry in it to make me want it more than a blueberry ale, and the stout is on par with many others available.. Good, worth the try.. but I won't be getting a sixer.

Beejay, Mar 06, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

pour is black with a good head when poured aggressively. black with creamy chocolate head. smell is interesting. a little sweet blue berry. at first it was a 'oh crap' this beer is going to be sweet and just too much accent. chocolate roasty aroma. palate is not like expected. its better. smooth. fruit acidic on one side and malty chocolaty goodness on the other. very well balanced. very excellent for the amount of alcohol. 4.5!!! i think it could be had all year round. come bottle have a earthier blue berry finish. very into this beer. glad they made something this innovative but not showy. although a very particular taste.

had it after a year of cellaring. at first doughier. makes way for a wonderful body. blueberry is still there but at first masked by the yeastiness. once it opened up... quite better. earthier... a thicker wall of stout oozing down the side of the pint glass. wonderful job.

rtepiak, Mar 02, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Have seen this on the shelves a year ago and ignored it, now it's back and I am finally going to sink my teeth into this one (figuratively speaking)

A: Pours quite thick out of the bottle and rises quickly into a thick though quickly dissipating head.

S: Smells quite larger than the ABV would lead on, which makes me question how natural these aromas are. When it's cold the beer smells a bit like blueberry pancakes, but as it warms the beer sours slightly (as per the blueberries as I suppose) mildly roasty and even just a bit smokey, very unique and quite inviting, like no other stout I've experienced.

T/MF: A curious flavor, lots of things going on at once, dry, tobacco-like closing then gets a bit sweeter. Mild blueberry and a bit sweeter on the chocolate end. Smooth and snappy mouthfeel, drying finish.

D: The blueberry is here but it seems a bit artificial, what I really like though are the roasty and sweet flavors, I think if you took the blueberry out this would be one hell of an Irish dry stout. The problem of course being this beer is a blueberry stout and it doesn't execute as well as it does in other places.

bluemoonswoon, Mar 02, 2009
3.98/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a snifter.

A-Black beer, looks thick and densly opaque. Deep brown head rose gently, minimaly, then randomly reduced to a thin collar.

S-Blueberries, very prominent and clear. Roasted malt and a slight chocolate make their presence known, as well.

T-A smattering of blueberry flavors, fruity-sweet at times and tarty at others, flirt effectively with a smooth roasted malt. A slight chocolate character emerges later. Finishes as the chocolate-roast fades into a residual blueberry flavor.

M-Medium-low carbonation. Medium-full bodied beer, feels heavy as it moves slowly, slithering. At times, there is an almost chalky character to it.

D-Quite high. Although I was nervous for a blueberry brew, I am quite pleased. Smooth and blanced fruit flavor add to, instead of overwhelms, the big stout flavor.

CHSLBrew, Feb 25, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

got this on a recommendation from Andrew at Bon Vivant in Columbia, IL

appearance: pours pure black into a pint glass. like a black hole it swallows all light. dark bubbly head quickly disolves

smell: burnt coffee beans and blueberry pancakes. strangely enough the combo slightly resembles mesquite wood chips

taste: smokey flavor hits almost immediately with just a hint of blueberry on the finish.

mouthfeel: relatively thin in comparison to the appearance. moderate amount of carbonation.

drinkability: i would probably purchase this again. i couldn't drink more than one in a sitting, though. this is a very unique brew. at the very least worth a try

jcompton, Feb 25, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- a vigorous pour yields a thick looking black beer with a finger and a half of coffee colored head. the head quickly reduced to a little more than a film over the top of the glass. very solid rings of lacing left on the sides.

S- dark and roasted malts and coffee right away. some chocolate in here too. the blueberry smell is pretty strong, but not overpowering. very well done.

T- dark and roasted malts are up first. not as much chocolate as i could smell, but much more coffee. again, the blueberry is definitely there, but nothing too strong. works very well. a hint of licorice as well.

M- a little light for my liking. very smooth and well carbonated.

D- its nice to see a stout have an interesting taste and be this low in alcohol. this is something i could have several of in an evening. i was a little worried about the idea of a blueberry infused stout, but it came out really well. winter is definitely the best time of year for dark horse.

jwinship83, Feb 24, 2009