Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
3.51/5  rDev -11.6%

This smells like chocolate covered espresso beans. I don't make out any fruit notes in the nose. Really disapointed by that. The beer looks great though. Deep dark thick brew with a toffee colored head rising 2 fingers. Retention is pretty good, lacing is minimal after a 30 seconds, but a swirl reveals a hugely thick quilt of fine tight bubbles that cling long enough to be noticed.

I taste no blueberry or other dark fruit. Maybe it's just me... But I'm thinking this might have been mislabeled. Perhaps this was the coffee stout that got the wrong name put on it.

All in all, this is very good. I'm enjoying quite a bit... But I feel it was missing the star of the show. Like seeing Van Halen on a day where Eddie's plane got delayed and the roadie filled in for him.

The mouthfeel is creamy and thick and this drinks pretty easily. If this weren't labeled with the word "blueberry" it would score pretty highly. As it is though, as drinkable as it is, it is only worthy of a B.

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Ah, it was a brief reprieve from a big ipa tailgating day at the ballpark . . .

A good dark cola appearance, little carbonation. Blueberry aroma abound.

Dry taste, but without bitterness or hopping usually. The roast from the malt has a little too much contribution though. Once you get accustomed to it, it approaches a smooth mouthfeel. Not a thick sludge stout by any means. A great palate cleanser relatively speaking (as long as you aren't drinking other fruit beers I guess). Minimal coffee feel. Not overly sweet like bad fruit beers. Still tastes like beer.

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

Tres pours a very dark, chocolate fudge color. It's very close to opaque, but light reveals faint burgundy highlights at the outermost edges. It's topped with a dark mocha head that rises to about two fingers in depth. Retention was quite good. Lacing was sticky and moderate in volume.

The nose is good, but would benefit from more strength. Chocolate malts are the primary focus, and smell a little sweet and bittersweet. There is a hint of blueberry here, but not much. That might turn out to be a positive overall. Fortunately, it works well with the chocolate scents. There's a hint of roasted coffee, but not much else. It's all simple and straight forward here. Simple isn't always bad.

The flavor is good. Tres has a delicious, mostly bittersweet, dark chocolate fudge flavor. It provides a nice, sturdy base, and is quite flavorful. Blueberry is easily noted, but is subtle and complementary. I like the approach there. I was apprehensive that blueberry would be the focus. Rather, the focus seems to be the strong chocolate malt base. Good decision. Light roasted coffee is noted. It adds some nice depth. Alcohol is blended well and is not noticeable. Finishes with a roasty, dark chocolate fudge flavor.

Tres has a light body and rather active carbonation. It's not bad, but isn't quite smooth. It goes down easy, but less bubbles and more body would be a step in the right direction. Drinkability is good. Tres has a nice flavor and is a pleasure to drink. I'd happily drink a few of these. At 4.5% abv, it's not scary at all.

Dark Horse Brewing Company has a nice thing going with the Stout Series. I really like every one of them. I was least excited to try Tres, but it's good. It has a nice solid flavor and works in every respect. I do think a little more body and fewer bubbles would help, but otherwise it works. If you haven't had a chance to check out the series, do so. It's impressive.

4.05/5  rDev +2%

Number three pours exactly like One and Two; thick, black, beautifully dark with a choco brown head. The essence emitting from the top of my glass with this brew is a slight sweetness with underlying notes of blueberry. It's not overpowerin, yet not your typical stout effervescence. Blueberry with a tinge of roasted malt. The taste consists of interesting flavor combinations. There's a prominent blueberry taste up front, with dark chocolate and roastiness in back. The blueberry adds an almost refreshing taste to a heartier style of brew. The blueberry is a nice touch as it meshes well with the stoutier, more bitter flavors, yet it adds a unique sweetness/freshness that isn't found in most stouts. Take what we know from most cherry stouts with their tart/bitter combinations, this 'fruitiness' enhances the bitterness of the stout by washing away the bitter upon first taste, then reintroducing it on the backend. The aftertaste is a nice lingering bitterness, similar to that of dark chocolate... how about dark chocolate covered blueberries. There, I said it.

Overall, I thought it was an unexpectedly nice brew. Was not expecting to like this one as much as I did. The blueberry balances the flavors within this brew better than I imagined. For those who don't like an all out stout, and enjoy fruity beers, this could be a huge hit with you. That said, I love the heartiest of stouts and this brew still appeals to me. Definitely a unique stout worth trying.

4.21/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours an extremely dark brown, which fools you into thinking its balck unless you really squint at the edges while holding it up to the light - even for the style its pretty dark. A deep tan head sticks around for the duration of the beer and lays down some nice streaks of lace to finish off a very pleasing appearance. For a 'fruited' beer, the aroma works well, and indicates that the marriage between the blueberry and the base beer is a 'fruitful' one (try the veal). Nice chocolate and creamy coffee notes underpin some real blueberry puree. Its really smooth, with perfect balance and integration, though my one criticism is that it lacks the intensity I look for.

There are many ways for a fruit beer to fail, and this one avoids all the pitfalls. The fruit is real, the base beer is great, and the right balance is struck. The blueberry is present throughout, and its big fresh and vibrant. At no point does it overpower the base, though, which provides an excellent compliment. Creamy coffee, big chocolate malts and a light acidity. The body is medium, with a nice weight for the style and ABV, while the carbonation provides a decent smoothness.

A great beer. In the words of Tobias Fünke, "I just blue myself". You won't come across many beers where the addition of fruit is done so well, but it seemed as natural in this stout as adding coffee beans. Kudos to Dark Horse for showing how it can be done.

Thanks to Steve for the bottle and a great drive-by trade!

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic. No date or info.

HUGE thanks to Onenote81 for notching this off my wants list. Well, allowing me to try it anyway. It's still gonna stay on my wants list. :P

A - This beer pours so dark, barely even a sliver of deep red-brown clarity shows. In the glass, no light escapes it's clutches. The pour is thick and quiet like motor oil with a low dark brown, foamy head. Poor retention leaves the head dissolved into a thin film and ring.

S - A rich aroma of fresh blueberries and roasted stout just knocks my socks right off. The blueberries smell like amazing, rich, fresh syrup for pancakes, and I'm sure this beer would work just as well! Tons of roasted malt blends fabulously backing up the blueberry without overtaking it. Delicious notes of molasses dribble, ground coffee, and cocoa powder add to the depth of the nose created by the malts. I wouldn't change a thing about this aroma but I wish I knew it's age already.

T - After collecting my rogue socks and regaining my composure, the first sip subsequently sent my socks flying again. It's packed with the same depth and complexity as the aroma but leans a little more towards the roasted stout side of things. The flavorful, fresh blueberry aroma continues through to the flavor but is more tart. This blends with the roasted flavor of the malts very well. Dusty cocoa, roasted coffee, and light but distinct molasses find their way in for more nuances. It just doesn't wow quite like the aroma but is damn close to getting a "five".

M - With thoughts of the rich, oily pour going through my mind before the first sip, you'd understand my surprise when I come to find Tres is actually pretty highly carbonated. Still oily and rich with a full-body, the finish is dusty and dry with a roasted bitter and tart finish. Very nicely balanced.

D - I had a preconceived idea Tres would be good, knowing I was probably setting myself up for a let down, but Tres still managed to blow me out of the proverbial water. This beer is absolutely world-class. It's a perfect marriage of a stout with fruit and has so little room for improvement. I've been nursing it only to savor it. Otherwise it's dangerously drinkable.

Thanks again Jon, for this awesome beer. Now I've gotta go get more!

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Shared with Olgmcdlg, thanks babe!

A- Pours as black as night without a moon. So thick and headalisious, as I watch the head depreciate time seems to stop. The thick head, three giant fingers tall has the most interesting color of an over creamed ice coffee, perfectly tan in color.

S- "Andy, are you baking blueberry muffins?" is what went through my head as soon as i took a whiff is this brew. It really smell like massaerated blueberries, so sweet smelling and fresh. But wait, then you get the chocolate. MMMmmm.

T- Wow, this blueberry beer actually tastes like blueberries, not what I expected at all. The first flavor you get it the chocolate covered coffee beans and then followed up by the glazed blueberry. "Are you sure your not baking blueberry chocolate muffins?". Well... it's just about dead on.

M- I was expecting something much thicker, but I guess with the ABV it makes sense that its more of a medium bodied brew. Creamy like the constancy of whole milk, I do wish there was more carbonation.

D- I already know exactly what dessert I would pair this with. I think I could only be able to handle this guy in small portions. Extremely complex, pallet shocking and delicious, a great buy!

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

12oz bottle split with sourbatchkid.

A- two huge fingers of mocha colored dense head that settles after a bit to a wispy cap. Super dark brown bordering on completely black. A slight glow on the edges when lit from behind.

S- damn this smells great. Its like a fresh blueberry muffin topped with brown sugar. Some coffee and dark malts.

T- dark bread and blueberry compote. Dark brown sugar and roasted malts. Hints of coffee and anise.

M- medium to light in body and ample carb that scrubs the tongue and really boosts the brew.

D- killer drink here for sure I haven't had anything like this and at first I wasn't sure what to think but hell if this ain't great.

4.17/5  rDev +5%

Poured in to a Duvel tulip

A - Poured a thick dark brown/black with one finger of fizzy medium-brown coloured head.

S - Blueberry juice and dark roasted malts. Some sweetness in the background - brown sugar and molasses.

T - Dark roasted malts are the predominant flavour, not the blueberry, which is a pleasant surprise. The blueberry is definitely there though - as the secondary flavour. There are also hints of chocolate and coffee. Very delicious.

M - Medium body; slightly overcarbonated.

D - Goes down easy, which isn't common with many fruit-flavoured beers. This was a pleasant surprise that I would buy again.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

This review will complete my reviews of the Dark Horse stout series.

A: Pours pitch black with an extremely dark brown head, much like other Dark Horse stout, minimal head retention, very little lacing

S: the front has a nice juicy blueberry aroma which is paired with intense roasted malts, the result is a nice bold smelling stout with some refreshing blueberry notes. The blueberry smells very natural which is a nice thing for any fruited beer.

T: the front features a hint of sweetness from the blueberries, but the blueberry taste largely gets lost in all of the deep roasted malt notes. This ia nice robust stout, having trouble believing that it is only 4.5% alcohol considering how rich and robust it is. The finish also feature a hint of blueberry. Overall, this is a nice pairing of fruit with a stout. The fruit doesn't overwhelm and the base stout is damn good to begin with.

MF:medium body, low carbonation

D: another great stout from Dark Horse. They (One, Too, Tres, Fore, Plead the 5th) are all in the same realm as far as the malt profile is concerned, this one takes the sweetness to a much different level which I believe is successful.

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

A very smoth drinkable stout. The blue berry comes through in the aeoma and a vey nic hint on the tounge. We bought this beer at our favorite beer store in big rapids. Grunst Brothers. Its also the second time we bought it and will be at the top of our list agian.

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a pitch black with a nice creamy tan head with solid retention

Nice blueberry aromas accompany the traditional roasted malt and coffee scents of this stout.

The flavor begins nicely with hints of cocoa and coffee but are quickly followed by fresh blueberries (almost a hint of fruity pebbles), also holds a slight bitterness. Excellent balance and not too sweet like I had expected.

Mouthfeel was on the heavier side with good carbonation.

Very tasty brew makes it very drinkable.

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Poured with an opaque black body...an aggressive pour gave me a much larger head than I would have ever expected. The huge fluffy three finger tan head finally gave me enough room to finally taste this brew. I don't recall a head this gorgeous topping a brew I've had. This is a damn tasty looking brew! The only thing that kept this from getting a 5 for appearance is the lack of lacing from the otherwise beautiful head.

S - The aroma is predominantly dark malt followed with plenty of dark bitter chocolate as well as a bit of blueberry lurking in the background. Almost reminds me of what a chocolate covered blueberry would smell like.

T & M - Wow...this is not what I was expecting from this brew. A dark malt body is accentuated by dark chocolate and just a bit of blueberry. The blueberries are just a finishing touch on a very solid stout frame. Medium bodied, yet still chewy mouthfeel. This is probably the first blueberry beer I've had that I've really been impressed with.

D - I'm very glad I picked this up. Dark Horse is showing me lately that they know what they are doing with stouts. I've had Tres and Too...now I look forward to trying the other two stouts in this series. Highly recommended!

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

I am slowly becoming a HUGE Dark Horse fan. I am not far from them and enjoy going there. You gotta love a microbrewery/brew pub with a tattoo and body piercing studio across the parking lot. I ramble. here is my review

I was hesitant to try this because I have a slight aversion to fruit flavored beers. I tried this assuming the blueberry flavors would be subdued by the fact this is a stout.

It pours into the glass very dark, a good quality for this style, with a tan head.

You can smell the blueberries as well as coffee and maybe hints of chocolate. You can taste the characteristic roasted malts and coffee flavors of a stout. The blueberries don't come through until the end.

I am impressed with this stout. It is slightly lighter in body and alcohol than most stouts I have had, but enjoyable still. My aversion to fruit flavored beers is gone, at least in this stout that is.

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

This thing is full of blueberries, aroma is full of them.

A: It's a dark brown, almost black. Thin head of tan color. Ring of foam is sticking around.

S: Just ripe blueberries, some overripe. Very sweet smelling, with a twang of blueberry skin. A hint of honey and brown sugar. No hop presence here, a very sweet smelling stout. Surprisingly a small alcohol aroma for a low abv beer.

T: Taste is actually of under ripe blueberries, a bit bitter with a kick of dry cocoa and ground coffee beans. Has a dry taste that is a tad roasty. A small amount of citrus or acidity, may be from the skins of the blueberries. For a blueberry stout, I'd say this hits all the right qualities. Just a tad too sweet.

M: Medium bodied stout, blueberries fill the nose and palate. Wasn't expecting anything too full bodied with the low ABV. Good sweet stout with a very nice flavor profile.

D: Nice and refreshing for summer, not light enough to be a hot summer day beer but certainly a nice spring night beer. Smooth and clean tasting beer. Carbonation is a bit low.

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours black with 1 ½ fingers of milk chocolate colored head. Luckily, this retains with more of a foamy than fizzy look around the edges, leaving a good looking creamy cascade of lacing behind. The aroma surprises me with its strength. Smooth roasted chocolate malts and earthy hops are prevalent but man; those blueberries are really at the forefront of this and can't be missed.

The taste is chocolate sweetness and roast up front, with a firm dose of prickly spicy hops helping to balance out some of the thicker aspects of the malts. The blueberry flavor is a lot more controlled here than it was in the aroma, coming out along the back of the profile where it mixes with notes of lingering roast and earthy hops. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with some sharpness up where the roast and hops are but then gets silkier towards the back where all of that berry flavor and sweetness dwell. Unlike the One and Too that I drank previous to this, this is actually showing a bit too much beef in the body, which is ridiculous because it's ABV is half of what those other two have. Weird...

Blueberries can be quite potent in beer but I was pleased to find that they were handled pretty favorable in this Stout, especially in the taste, where they didn't come off as artificial tasting at all and were well integrated with the rest of the flavors. Just a bit too heavy feeling to be totally sessionable but this was overall pretty nice.

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle via trade from kmurray8621.

Pours nearly black with a small tan head that leaves a ring.

Aroma is lots of blueberry. Some slight roasted malt is all else I really get.

Flavor is roasted malt, coffee, blueberry, spice (coriander?), and maybe a little wildness. Some chocolate notes in there as well.

Once again for this series, it's just a little bit thin, but otherwise smooth and well-carbonated.

Pretty good overall. Not awesome, but good. Drinkability is high. 4.5%? Damn dogg! This is a real session beer.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Portsmouth snifter/tulip glass. The pour is dark black, with just a hint of light...although once it fills the glass, no light what-so-ever. A very late head forms, a light brown color...creamy...and dissapates quickly to a slight ring around the outside. With each taste, the lacing is light and fizzy...quick sliding too.

Aroma is fairly light, but what's there is welcoming. You can pick out the blueberry...which I was hoping for. Smells a little of coffee and malts as well.

Hmmm, carbonation is a tad high...and just slight coffee flavors. A late blueberry hits in the aftertaste. This is at fridge temp. As it warms it gets a lot better and the flavor really improves. More blueberry and mild coffee flavors reside...with a medium to light body, still high carbonation. A very interesting, and tasty stout!

3.87/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours thick, dark black with carmel colored thick head (sloppy pour)that sticks around for quite a while although there is no lacing afterwards. As was said below, it leaves an oily residue behind.

The smell hits you with blueberries right away and malts. Blueberry is very prominent in the smell. At first taste, I was fighting to even find the blueberry. Just a light hint of it in the taste. Chocolate, coffee, malts, slight black pepper spicyness come on before any fruit notes. I would have preferred a more pronounced blueberry flavor but there are no bad flavors to this beer.

Maybe its all of the IPA drinking I have been doing lately but this beer was. not as easy for me to drink as some stouts I have had. It has the heavy, almost chewiness of imperial stouts without the ABV. Just by the magnitude of this beer, I would have expected it to have twice the ABV that it does. This could be a full meal!

4.04/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours from 12oz bottle. Had during the Dark Horse tasting.

A- Pours a jet black color. No real head comes about from the pour. Oily slickness on the sides of the glass but no lacing at all.

S- Roasted malts with some light coffee notes in the front of this. The blueberry part comes into play in the undertones and with such full aroma. The artifical smell is not there and this smell like it is made with real blueberries.

T- Taste at first was of light roasted malts and some coffee notes. The blueberry flavor somes into play in the middle of the beer with light roastedness coming back into play on the ending of it.

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little light for the style. Light roasted malts left on the palate while the aftertaste is more blueberry forward. Oily slickness left all over the palate.

D- Very drinkable stout that fuses roastedness and fruit as well. Dark Horse just seems to not do wrong with anything they do.

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

On tap @ the Beer Engine. Poured into a pint glass on my Birthday! Appearance is black with no head.

Smell is amazing. Blueberry (but nice, not bitter, fake, or too sweet) and a heavy roasted malt component. Nice balance.

Taste follows. This could be my new session beer. Roasty malt gives hints of chocolate and coffee, while blueberry is clean and just enough to add without becoming gimmick-ey.

Smooth mouthfeel. Medium carb. All comes together well to create a nice feel for the beer.

Drinkability was good as well. I think this is a winner - Dark Horse walks the line without falling into fruit hell. Nice beer, fellas!

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Dark, large head that holds for a while

S - Blueberry + malts

T - Very even flavor. Blueberry is much stronger in smell than in taste.

M - kind of thick, but carbonation keeps it refreshing

D - Very easy to drink! I'd recommend this to anyone.

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

3/27/10 on tap in a tulip.

Appearance: Midnight black, with no light escaping anywhere. It arrived with a thin tan head, which receded to the edge of the glass and left slight lacing on the way down.

Smell: Strong roasted coffee and chocolate malt is the dominant aroma; blueberry provides a secondary presence on the nose.

Taste: Surprisingly bitter all the way through. The coffee and chocolate start off strong with a dark roasted malt back, adding a light but firm blueberry taste. A touch of cigars in the middle, and the coffee is the taste left standing at the end. A fairly strong bitter aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, a good fit for this stout.

Drinkability: a strong, moderately complex stout. The blueberry flavor provides a nice change of pace from the traditional variety. The bitter aftertaste will slow me down a little bit, but this is a good stout to rotate into the mix.

The median beer in my run through Dark Horse's numbered stouts. Originally reviewed on 12-Sep-08 (that bottle was from brewcrew76).

A: The stout pours with a midnight darkness, pitch black. The head is dark, a deep tan color that quickly recedes to a thin pool.

S: The blueberries are evident as soon as you open up the bottle. Up close, the roasted malts are intertwined with the blueberries, toasted chocolate mixed with fruit.

T: Fantastic combination. The stout body is robust, dark and burnt with cocoa powder and chocolate prevalent throughout. Blueberries are the second flavor to emerge. Slightly tart up front, they soon reveal a juicy sweetness that melds well with the bold stout body. A dash of pepper (!?!) finishes things off.

M: I'm more to the full flavor of the stout as opposed to the tart sweetness of tbe blueberry. Fact is, both flavors are quite nice together.

D: The stout tastes bigger than it is. Full and filling, this beer would be perfect on a cold winter night.

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

The Blueberry stout is quite dark in color with a medium tan head that seemed to stay awhile

Instantly when opening the bottle your'e presented with a smell of Blueberries followed by a slight coffee smell.

When first taking a sip, you notice how smooth it is, though not quite as strong as the smell makes you believe it will be. You can slightly taste the Blueberries but this is definately not a strong stout.

The mouthfeel was good and the aftertaste didn't last long.

Overall this isn't a bad beer, though kind of disappointing as I thought it would be a little stronger.

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company