Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours black with about an inch and a half frothy brown head. Head retention is good, lacing is OK. The aroma is very nice, it smells like roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and blueberries. None of the aromas overpower the other, which is good. The taste is the same as the aroma, the roasted malt, coffee, chocolate and blueberry flavors all mesh well together and none are overpowering. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's rich, creamy and coating and is well carbonated. Drinkability is pretty good, and at only 4.5% ABV it's also quite sessionable. This is a very good fruit stout, and I would definitely buy this again the next time I see it.

bluejacket74, May 10, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

This is an exceptional stout in every way.

The blueberry on the nose is very apparent almost to the point that when you smell it you would think it is going to take over the overall flavor, but it does not at all...

An easy poor will give you a quarter inch dark tan head, lacing is there but falls with each drink.

Body is light and gives it a great drinkability! (since its a blueberry beer its a fun stout for the spring which I think is sorta rare in itself for the dark beer drinker!)

The taste is just great very original, I have yet to run into very many blueberry stouts!

While everyone is looking and talking about Founders, watch the Dark Horse possible come up from behind with love! Batch by batch...

This review from someone who is just as impressed beer for beer just not on a Founders distribution scale!

What a great beer! The only beer in my cooler on Darklord day not one person knew about but everyone loved!!

What I cracked with my breakfast!

FarmHouseJam, May 08, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured into a brandy snifter.

A: Dark as night, pours pretty viscous. About a 1/2 inch of brown head appears before retreating around the rim of the glass.

S: Wow, that's nice. Kind of like a boozy blueberry muffin. Not to say that it's a harsh alcohol aroma to it at all though. It's nice. A little bit of maltiness comes through it all.

T: For all the blueberry aroma, the taste of it doesn't knock you on your butt. It's all in the finish, it lingers and gets more intense in the end. Up front is a very nice malt profile, some coffee to it, this is how a fruit stout should be done!

M: Velvety smooth, medium carbonation. Moderately heavy body, it's quite a substantial beer.

D: This would be a pretty good stout without the blueberry, which is how a fruit stout should be. Drinkability is good for the style.

I'm a big fan, I think I'll have to see if I can hunt up another four pack around Madison...

aggiearcher13, May 06, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Acquired via trade with alleykatking...thanks Josh! 12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. No abv or bottling info is given.

A-Pours black with a one finger dark brown head that quickly dissolves into a nice ring.

S-The bluberry is there, but is by no way overpowering. Pick up on notes of espresso, chocolate, and some roasted malt. Very pleasant nose and as it warms more of the chcoclate comes out.

T-The fruit is very forward on this. The roasted malt comes through in the middle and leaves its roasty feeling in the back of my mouth. I did find after a while that I was getting a grainy feel in the back of mouth. As it warms the coffee and chocolate flavors beome more pronounced.

M-Medium bodied with some crisp carbonation. Not sweet as some fruit beers tend to be. The roasted malt does leave some lingering dryness in my mouth.

D-Looking at this site, this has a very low abv which adds even more to the drinkability. I could easily have a few of these over the course of the night due to the fact that so much flavor continues to come out as it warms.

I really dug this beer. My only other forray into a blueberry beer is the one made by Marin Brewing and that one has never been one of my favorites.

mjl21, May 02, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

i cannot tell you how long i have been trying to get my hands on some dark horse stuff. yet again another thank you to sirsketch for yet another beer i have wanted to try since i have been on the site.

pours dark with a thick amount of chocolate head. while pouring i hold it to the light. color is almost purple. then i have three splashes in my glass. looks like someone is getting a visit from the sediment fairy. when i look closer at my glass i notice something that looks like a combination of blueberry stems and old hop leafs are at the bottom of my glass. not a huge turn off but not really a huge turn on either. looks like im going to have to drink carefully.

smell is surprisingly light on the blueberries they are there mind you but not as prevalent as you would think. almost smells like a chocolate blueberry muffin.

taste is nice. rich roasted malts lead the attack on my palate. just when it looks like the malts have been put in the corner the cavalry of blueberries flanks me and leaves me surprised. this is an interesting beer. tasty. not phenomenal by any means but definitely worth a try. also a lingering roasted quality sticks around the palate. interesting.

mouth if surprisingly carbonated. medium bodied. and hate to hammer this word into the ground but surprising.

im not sure i would chase down this beer again but i am very glad i was given the chance to try it. kinda makes me want to play with fruit stouts.

Mauerhan, May 01, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance: Well it pours about the same color any other stout would pour but there is a very nice chocolaty head that carries just a bit of reddish blue tint. The lacing is very nice and the retention of the head is moderate. This one doesn't hang around too long but brisk swirls will get you a little more.

Smell: Really nice aroma coming out of the glass. I can definitely smell the blueberry, but it's not overpowering. The majority of the beer smells like coffee and chocolate and roasted malts. I'm really glad this one doesn't smell too sweet with the blueberries because I thought they would be at the forefront of the beer. That would have been a huge turnoff for me.

Taste: Tres is a really good tasting stout. I'm still very surprised at how subdued the blueberry flavor is. If I didn't know there was blueberry in here, I'd definitely guess that I was pulling a little blueberry out of it. You get the traditional flavors of a stout, too, and the chocolate and coffee notes carry over well.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is great. It's not too bitter and the flavors coat the inside of the mouth very well. With the ABV being extremely low (4.5% to be exact) it's pretty easy to see why this one is so drinkable. It gets just about everything right on the palate, which is not always so easy with stouts.

Overall: It took some tough searching to find this beer, but it was well worth the wait. I find this beer to be very enjoyable, quite drinkable, and not even close to overwhelming with blueberry. So many breweries push the fruit components to the front, but not Dark Horse. I'm glad I still have another seven of these bad boys because I will definitely be sharing them with friends and family.

The Grand Ole Hopry

amneziak, Apr 28, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz bottle poured into imperial pint glass

A - Pours a solid, pitch black color with a small toffee colored head that rests at a thin level for many a minutes. Laces thickly when tipped.

S - Strong roasted flavors: caramel, toffee, chocolate & espresso all blend together. Tart, sweet, and fruity blueberries start to come through as this beer warms, adding a nice complexity to the scent.

T - Starts with a kick of tart blueberry and some dark chocolate and roasted malt notes. Fairly sweet and filling throughout the tongue. Fruity sweetness quickly turns to a dry roasted aftertaste at the finish. Blueberry never quite overpowers, but it does become more present as it warms.

M - Moderate carbonation that is hard to distinguish from the tart blueberry sensation. Medium bodied with a puckering mouthfeel. Rather filling.

D - An interesting & worthwhile combination between roasted malt and tart blueberry that is worth a try, but its not something I would crave nor purchase often. Kudos to Dark Horse for taking the risk, however.

gmcfarre, Apr 23, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got this one in a BIF and I'm going in blind; never heard of this beer but I'm familiar with the name of the brewery.

A black beer with a deep brown average head. Expected.

Big time blueberry aroma, very pleasant and inviting. Smells like fresh picked and crushed blueberries. The aroma just dominates, but because I've seen the beer I can subjectively detect roasted grains and aroma hops.

Stout flavors are the main focus and take over the blueberries, reducing them to a pleasant touch. The blueberry aroma competes for the long fallout but gets outdone by the delicious roasted and sweet malts. Coffee like aftertaste. Simple yet very well made, and I love the delicate interplay between the big rich stout flavors and the extremely fresh blueberry taste. Really delicious and refreshing!

Good mouthfeel, force carbed and medium viscosity. Like the appearance it fits the beer and gets the job done and not much else.

Sensational drinkability. I love low-gravity stouts and could session with this all night. I'm picturing an orgasmic cask-conditioned pint of this as I write. Thanks imstillthegman and cheers!

rayjay, Apr 22, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Viscous dark brown, almost black, small dark tan head, decent lacing. Love these thick pouring stouts! Aroma is a nice mix of chocolate, coffee and blueberry. Very nice. Like a blueberry muffin and a cup of coffee for breakfast. Taste is nice and roasty, a tart blueberry fruit flavor comes out on the finish mixed with dry baker's chocolate. Semi-sweet at first, dry on the finish. Nice, thick and creamy mouthfeel, appropriately low carbonation. This is a very nice stout. Not quite as good as the Too Milk Stout, but impressive and another great stout from Dark Horse!

KeefD, Apr 20, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to Jtrockchalk to this one.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a dark brown with reddish highlights when held up to the light. Very little head, just a slight dusting of dark beige fluffiness and leaving around no lacing. The aroma is like a fruity fudge pop. Dark fudge, cream, and blueberries all come out in the nose. The flavor follows suit almost to a tee. Milk chocolate fudge, cream, and blueberry juice. The blueberries in the flavor remind me more of an artificial blueberry then the actual fruit. The mouthfeel is a bit dry. I thought there might be oatmeal in the mash but the creaminess dies in the finish. Dryness is all I get from the tip of the tongue. This is a good beer, I wish the creaminess would come out a bit more and the blueberry was a bit more real.

hwwty4, Apr 20, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

12oz. brown longneck with a plain white label with black print and a black cap. It pours a very dark opaque purple-back brown with a small, short lived, light brown head.

The nose is sweet and fruity with a strange spiciness. The fruit is mainly blueberry with some dark musty wood. Fruity yet earthy.

Very phenolic and estery berry flavor with hints of peat and musty wood rot. Quite complex and hard to describe the unique subtlties that comprise the flavor. It's quite tasty and well balanced all the while. Sweet oak and berry linger on the tongue. The mild alcohol is completely burried within. Some soft bitterness in the finish.

Medium body with mellow carbonation lend some smoothness to the mouth, yet there is a bit of prickliness here and there. Overall very easy to drink with a very intriging flavor. A stout of it's own.

scottoale, Apr 15, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Pours a lot darker that i thought it would and that was a pleasant surprise. This is a jet black beer with a pretty dark head

S: Wonderful smell of roasted malts, chocolate, little bit of java, and beautiful blueberries.

T: I was very impressed with this beer. I usually am not a big fan of fruit flavors in beer, but this beer was definetly an exception. The blueberries were never overwhelming, and were definetly an awesome touch to this stout

M: It was a little bit thinner than i thought it would be.

D: Honestly I could drink these all day. Especially good for this time of year.

This was my first Dark Horse brew and i will definetly be looking for more.

JizackFH, Apr 08, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

4oz sample - shared the bottle with 2 others. Pours black like the others in the series. No transparency. Nice creamy brown head, which leaves minimal lacing on the glass. Aromas are obvious sweet blueberries, roasted malts, and chocolate. Mouth-feel is creamy and smooth. Flavors are milk chocolate, espresso, and finishes fairly boldly with roasted malts and fresh, ripe blueberries that are not overbearing in flavor - this was something I was concerned with prior to drinking it. They were actually quite pleasant. I liked this unique stout and it was worth the try, given it was in a series of 5, but wouldn't try it again.

barnzy78, Apr 08, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

Popped open a bottle and was immediately greeted with the smell of blueberries. Fantastic.

Beer pours a pitch black, blacker and thicker than I would have with expected with a 1+ inch cocoa colored head.

While the initial scent was blueberry, it was soon taken over by dark chocolate. Strong. Lots of roasted malt. Definitely some coffee, though it almost seems that is the blueberry and the roast converging rather than a unique smell. The smells remind me a bit of a porter rather than a stout. Still nice.

Great, complex flavor. Lots of blueberry, but subtle and not at all overdone. Pretty much the same flavors as the nose would indicate. Great balance of flavors - blueberry gives way to roast, coffee and chocolate, before a chocolate blueberry flavor coats the palate. I can't get over how good this is.

Quite a fair bit of carbonation again gives the beer a bit of a porter quality. Not a bad thing, but worth noting.

I find that often times a lot of 'interesting' or creative beers offering different takes on a style (or a wildly different take) don't really work (see my Aprihop, 120 min or Autumn Maple reviews). I like to try for curiosity sake, but I don't often love the beer. The Tres, however, is FANTASTIC. The blueberry makes the beer interesting, complex and tasty. I enjoyed this all the way through. A noteworthy beer and now one I need to figure out how to get my hands on with regularity. Damn, fair to say I am blown away.

yeastsipper, Mar 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

This is an impressive beer. It is a perfect blend of blueberries and cream and a milk stout. The aroma seems creamy and roasty with a subtle but clearly noticable blueberry note.

Nice plump overripe blueberries are a big part of the taste but they never overwhelm the stout characteristics...iinstead they complement the sweet stout base which features strong notes of dark chocolate notes, and light java.

Body is medium...creamy to begin and then slightly acidic from the blueberries at the finish.

This is a rich beer but not a big ABV beer. Still, it is a sipper and one I would not want more than two of at a time. Never the less this is one of the better flavored stouts I have had.

ZAP, Mar 28, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

pours jet black with chocolate cream head that quickly disappears with very light retention.

has light blueberry scents with hints of dark cherry and roasted malts

strong roasted malt backbone with hints of blueberry and cherry mixed with light dark chocolate notes. very smooth.

very thick and motor oil like, slightly higher carbonation than i would prefer. id say a strong medium carbonation. coats the tongue.

this is one good stout, not overpowering in any way. i only picked up one and plan on grabbing a few more. super low ABV means drink up!

hooliganlife, Mar 28, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

A - Pours a dark, dark brown that just begs you to get lost inside. Mocha colored head that dissipates very quickly.

S - Blueberry(who would've figured) and roasted malt. Fantastic, I wish they made a candle that smelled like this.

T - The blueberry is much more subtle in the taste as opposed to the smell. Big roasty flavors. Some coffee. Big roast. Very good.

M - A little thin. Not bad but not great. At 4.5% what do you expect though.

D - I find this to be very drinkable. Great flavor and only 4.5 ABV. If I was the type to drink one beer all night I could do this one easily.

infestaxion, Mar 27, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Aggressive pour yields 2 fingers of brown head with okay retention. Black opaque liquid. Pretty.
S: Bright fruity berry edge on a malty center. Tangy, a little estery alcohol.
T: Roast and funky fruit up front fade to a roasted malt aftertaste. Coffee and chocolate flavors dominate the 2nd mouthful, where'd the fruit go? Very tasty as it progresses, though some DMS lingers in the aftertaste. Though the funky fruit flavor was only in the first sip, some fruit flashes up front later on and doesn't meld well.
M: Bright quickly, then lots of bitter dark malt. I think I'd like more smoothness. Oily.
D: Fair, I would not order another or a six pack.

dfillius, Mar 27, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +4%

Not generally a fan of fruit-laced stouts... let's see how this one stacks up.

Appearance: Completely opaque, black, with a thin dark brown head. Looks velvety.

Smell: Hmm, interesting. Strong grainy malt presence that mixes perfectly with the sweet fruity blueberries. Usually in these types of beers one dominates the other, but it's a perfect mix here. Very nice aroma, sweet malts and fruits.

Taste: Again, a nice mix. The blueberry fruitiness is most prominent on the tip of the tongue in the beginning of the beer, and the dry roasted maltiness becomes more prominent as the beer finishes. Dry aftertaste, grainy texture. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Moderate thickness, heavy carbonation. Coats the tongue nicely.

Drinkability: Chalk this one up as a happy surprise. I can definitely see myself buying this again.

danielharper, Mar 25, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Served in my FOBAB mini-pint glass (so I could share with the wife).

A - Two fingers of dark mocha foam that dissipates fairly quickly with minimal lacing. Pitch black, with only the slightest hint of brown at the edges. Good lookin' stout.

S - Huge blueberry smell, and not the fake blueberry flavor either, but really ripe berries. There's also some roasted malt and a hint of chocolate, but all I can really think of is blueberry pancakes.

T - There's a lot of blueberry up front, but then it morphs into some dark chocolate and strong roasty bitterness that I don't like quite as much. The aftertaste is a mix of coffee-like bitterness and sour blueberry, and gets a little tiring.

M - Surprisingly thin, although with a 4.5% ABV I'm not totally surprised. Moderate carbonation, but not in porter territory. It's appropriate for the style.

D - The bitterness gets to be too much pretty quickly. I was happy with my 6oz pour, but didn't feel the need to open another bottle or mooch from my wife's pour.

It's kind of gimmicky but still a pretty solid brew. Not something where I'd want to have more than one serving.

MasterSki, Mar 25, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Duvel tulip glass. Appears a dark brown, almost black color with a hearty finger of rich dark tan foam. Really nice to look at. Smells reminds me of chocolate covered dried blueberries. Kind of like the ones Harry & David sells/used to sell. Notes of molasses and raisins are also evident. Tastes of rich roasted grains, caramel, mocha, and real blueberries. Nothing artificial or fake about the smell and taste of the blueberries. Medium (maybe a touch thin) in body with medium carbonation. Out of the handful of blueberry stouts that I've tried, this is no doubt the best by a huge margin.

ClockworkOrange, Mar 24, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

Single bottle from Famous Liquors in Lombard, IL.

A: Pours black with a beautiful two fingered mocha head with good lacing on the glass.

S: Blueberry bomb in the smell. Almost like blueberry pancakes. Have to struggle to pick up roasted malts.

T: Blueberry is less pronounced in the flavor, but it's still there. More of the traditional roasted malts, coffee and a slight amount of bitter chocolate.

M: Mouthfeel is solid. Creamy carbonation and it goes along well with the flavor.

D: very easy to drink, can't pick up alcohol and the flavor tastes nice.

dukedevil0, Mar 24, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Very dark brown in color but a very slight bit of light can be spotted glinting around the edges. The modest head is a warm dark tan color that leaves a thin cap and spotty lacing. The scent is all about blueberries. Not a fake one either. Like whiffing a bowl of them. Sweet and natural. It does jump out of the a little almost like there's blueberry muffins baking in the oven but none of those "something may not be right" thought that I've experienced plenty of times in the past.
A creamy warm roasted malt is the base of it's flavor. Dark coffee and chocolate abounds til the blueberry envelopes them in a stately but not overstated manner. The finish is a nice balance of all the flavors that leave enough time to savior but not staying around too long.

Dalem, Mar 23, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +17.9%

WOW!!!

Simply Amazing!!!

Worth the $2.75 per bottle...ahhh, YEAH!!! No question. Almost Perfection in a bottle.

Love the blueberry. Fits very nice with a stout!

This is one fantastic Stout. I am so impressed. Blueberries, Chocolate, Burnt Carmel, Bitterness, Creamy, Thick, Black, Low ABV....what else is there to say. This is by far one of my favorite beers to date. It is almost...dare I say...perfect. Exceptional Stout. I love the fact that it is such a low ABV. I could sip on this beer all night. Dark Horse, you do impress me.

Open the bottle and you smell blueberries. But it is not overpowering at all. Very nice. I also love the fact that it is THICK with a small dark brown head that laces down the glass as it is drank. Amazing....absolutely amazing. I wish that this beer was made all year but it is not. I will definitely be waiting for its release next year.

Thanks Dark Horse. Keep up the great, fantastic, work. INCREDIBLE!!!

schellsbeer, Mar 22, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Great BA buddy, CDKrenz shared this brew with me-Cheers!

Poured into a pint glass this brew is a deep black with a consistency of oil. There was a strong dark brown head with fat bubbles that settled to a thin ring around the glass, but not an actual cap. The aroma is strong of blueberry (and I am not a fruit guy), but aside from that a deep coffee and strong roast come through. I am anxiously awaiting how the sweetness of the blueberry mingles with the dryness of the coffee.

WOW! That is something. Not an overwhelming blueberry taste. This is a thick, strong brew, with great coffee, chocolate, and just the slightest blueberry hint in the after taste. Nothing of what I expected it to be, better! I could get a little sick of the aftertaste if drinking more than one or two, but if like today when I am just having an after dinner drink, this is fantastic!

WJVII, Mar 19, 2009