Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
younger35

4.1/5  rDev +3%

Picked up a four back of this stuff from Friar Tucks in Bloomington, IL. I've had One and Too and enjoyed them very much. Drank from my Darkness Snifter.

Appearance- Pours a dark black with super dark brown edge around the top from the light. A small quarter finger super dark brownish tan head that leaves no cap and a thin collar with no lacing.
Smell- Potent blueberry goodness spewing from this thing! I'm assuming they use only real blueberries (instead of some fake essence or extract) and they must add tons because it's potent. Fudge hiding in the background behind all of that fruit adds a nice cocoa component along with a tiny bit of caramel sweetness.
Taste- Blueberries are a bit more muted in the taste than in the nose but they're still fairly prominent. Once the cocoa kicks in though the blueberry is nowhere to be found. Chocolate fudge caramel brownies are sprinkled in amongst the fruity goodness with what has to be the same Stout "base" used in One and Too. Not overly roasty but still has some aspects of French roast toward the finish. Lingering chocolate lasts long into the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel- My only real complaint about Dark Horses Stout. Way to thin and watery with almost no body and light fizzy carbonation.
Drinkability- Darn tasty Stout that is a really cool change of pace. The blueberry isn't something you find every day in a Stout and it's more than interesting. Dark Horse has the Stout thing down (except for the mouthfeel, they need to beef that up) and this is another winner in my book!

11-18-2008 02:12:03 | More by younger35
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz bottle received from Scoobydank and moose3285. Thanks guys! Into my Guinness pint glass

A: For a beer this low in ABV, it sure does pour thick and black. There is literally no light coming through this and even the highlights are but slivers of dark brown. There's a dark brown head that recedes to a disk with tiny bubbles of carbonation keeping a persistent head.

S: On the nose are... blueberries! Big, strong and powerful with a massive dose of dark bitter chocolate in the back. There's a pleasing note of heavy cream as well, lending to a big, sweet and syrupy aroma for the beer. Solid

T: Light in body, this beer has great balance between the blueberries, chocolate and cream. The chocolate character is notable in that it's so dark that it counters the sweetness from the blueberries and keeps things in check and adds an almost coffee-like bitterness to the back end. The finish is long and twisted, starting off with a fruity sweetness that vanishes, leaving a pleasing dark-roasted malt bitterness

M: Surprisingly light in body for the way it looked coming out of the bottle, this beer has plenty of carbonation - a little too much, IMO, I wish it were along the lines of a blueberry oatmeal stout. The finish is awesome, though

D: My glass is disappearing fast and this is one drinkable beer. Glad I have another!

11-15-2008 00:24:57 | More by DefenCorps
notafood

Kentucky

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into a pint glass, opaque black with a graham cracker colored head that retained well. Smells of chocolate, coffee, blueberry and a bit of spice. Taste is predominately that of chocolate and roasted coffee, the blueberry having faded a bit (this is from last year's batch) but still noticable. The fruit gives a touch of sweetness. The feel is a bit creamy and sticky coating the roof my mouth and back of my throat slightly. A delicious stout with a moderate ABV makes this one a beer I could enjoy regularly and in succession.

10-11-2008 18:05:46 | More by notafood
brentk56

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Pours a dense black with a modest mocha head that leaves an occasional shard of lace

Smell: Distinctively different, with wafts of blueberry mixing with the underlying fudgy aroma; could be a bit bolder but that is a quibble

Taste: Starts with a dark chocolate flavor that is joined by a strong blueberry element which also adds a fudgy dimension at mid-palate; after the swallow, the sweetness tends to get a bit cloying

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This is s creative treat and I wish I had tasted it a week ago as I was at a Dogfish Head beer dinner in Richmond and the couple sitting next to me was trying to think of a good blueberry beer. I had no answer then but I do, now. I only wish it were not quite so sweet.

10-06-2008 23:19:26 | More by brentk56
Metalmonk

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Sent by tpd975, and incidentally my first Dark Horse beer. Thanks Greg!

Well, the thing just looks stupendous. Thick head is a roasty looking milk-chocolate brown, thinning considerably, and quite quickly, but a beaut while it lasted. Sitting underneath is one of the blackest blackety blacks ever, and it pours like decade-old spent oil. Love it.

Aroma is on the subtle side, likely owing to the low ABV. Requisite stout characteristics of chocolate and coffee, very much in check and polite. Sweetness doesn't come so much from blueberry as a lactic/frothed-milk/sweet cream sorta thing. But some swirls and a few hard pulls into the nose and there's the blueberry. All subtle, but everything bodes well for the flavor.

Flavor is burnt chocolate, espresso beans, a surprising shot of cola, and the kind of blueberry flavor that reminds more of a cereal, breakfast bar or chewing gum than the actual flavor of a fresh berry. No doubt the blueberry gets corrupted and mutated in the brewing process, but I also wonder if the thin yet sharp soda-like texture influences flavor perception. This stout calls for a totally gooey mouthfeel (and I'll invoke Bell's Expedition Stout yet again as the perfect example), not this lighter, almost watery feel. [Be sure to swirl and pour at the bottom of the bottle...there was a good bit of sludge in my bottle, and when I discovered it I carefully poured more back into the bottle, swirled, re-poured, and presto--a slightly less watery texture.]

A little messy around the edges, and maybe the blueberry doesn't mingle as well as I'd hoped, but ultimately this is delightful enough. And burp it up--the blueberry comes back to haunt!

09-26-2008 22:03:51 | More by Metalmonk
roadhouse

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Well the last bottle of this stuff I tried was sitting in my girlfriend's closet stolen from her sister, with the cap somehow opened a slight amount. She gave it to me and it had next to no carbonation and an oxidized taste...drain pour. So here's a bit more of a fresh attempt.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appears an opaque black color with a half inch dark tan head. The Horse really loves 'em BLACK. Not much lacing from this one.

Aroma is good and roasty but the blueberry also makes itself known along with a hint of alcohol and something almost like black licorice.

The taste is roasty up front, then the blueberries make themselves known, but in a subtle way. You don't think, oh man a fruit beer. It's more like 'hell yeah, a stout, but what is this fruitiness?' That is in a good way. There is a coffee-like bitterness that persists throughout, but it never dominates. Finishes with lingering blueberry, but the roastiness takes over in the linger.

Mouthfeel is medium, nice and smooth. A bit creamy at times.

This stuff is actually pretty damn good for what it is. The blueberry is definitely there, but never really dominates. I like how the blueberry is subtle. What I am most surprised about is how my girlfriend's sister had this stuff. All I usually see her drinking is Corona, Heineken, and Red Stripe...hmmm. It's not exceptionally drinkable, but I wouldn't mind having one every once in a while. It's going for $5.99 a four pack at my local beer store, maybe I'll get some more.

Note for 1/20/08 tasting: As I drink this fresh from this year's batch I can't help but notice that the blueberry flavor is less than when I had it with several months age on it last year.

09-24-2008 07:46:26 | More by roadhouse
gford217

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +8%

Bottle courtesy of StFun poured into a snifter.

This is the last of the stout series for me and this one pours just like the rest, pitch black with a bubbly mocha head that dissipates to a ring. There is little lacing but lots of bubbles rising to the middle throughout. Aroma is surprising for a stout as it smells like a blueberry cobbler with some coffee and chocolate malts thrown in. Fascinating smell. The taste isn't quite as nice as the aroma but still good with the dark roasted malts and bittersweet chocolates dominating. The blueberries are present but not overwhelming, making for a nice, balanced flavor. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with tons of carbonation and leaves the palate tingling. This is right up there with Plead the 5th in the series and this one may win for originality. Great beer.

09-10-2008 02:43:59 | More by gford217
atigerlife

Hawaii

Pours very dark. No light going through this one. Dark brown creamy head that dissipates rather quickly. Certainly nice to look at.

Aroma is dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts and blueberries. Really interesting.

Taste is of dark chocolate, burnt wood, cofee, light blueberry. Very rich.

Mouthfeel is heavy, thick and lightly dry at the end.

Overall, an interesting beer. Not particulary sessionable, but good in small quantities. Nicely done. I certainly liked this one more than I was expecting...and the more I drank the more interesting it became.

08-31-2008 01:48:29 | More by atigerlife
pmcadamis

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

A - This inky black brew looks like liquid black licorice in the glass. the head is tiny to the point of absurdity, but what foam is there is like dark chocolate mousse and looks really nice despite it's diminutive size. Some really dark brown lace is left on the glass, and swirling serves up a nice cap of really, really dark brown head. This is so black that it's almost purple. This might be the darkest shade of black I've ever seen in a beer. I'd give it a five except for the tiny size of the head.

S - Dark chocolate with thick blueberry syrup, like the kind they have at IHOP. Rich dark roast coffee is prevalent, and the malt notes are like fluffy pancakes that might have been left on the griddle too long. Smells like breakfast at IHOP!!

T - Sweet, rich, thick, and tasty. This is like a rich dark coffee chaser after shooting an ounce of blueberry syrup. Wow. This is unique! I really taste pancakes slathered in butter and blueberry syrup or jam, and the coffee notes just make the breakfast complete!

M - Heavy, full bodied, rich, and silky. The level of carbonation is wonderfully restrained and velvety, but the heavy sugar laden mouthfeel can get a bit cloying at times.

D - Excellent and adventuresome offering from what is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries! There is nothing else like this on the market (to my knowledge). Good, good stuff! Not a session beer though.

08-26-2008 18:06:10 | More by pmcadamis
bozebus17

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured pure black, and looked as thick as motor oil. It is topped with a small brown head that has good staying power.

The aroma is all over the place and I fear I can't do it justice. There are roasted malts, coffee, a bit of blueberry, and a hint of vanilla.

This is a great tasting beer. I am hit with the roasted malt, followed by wonderful toffee flavors. There is also a bit of coffee. The blueberry doesn't kick in until the end. There is just enough there to be pleasant, yet not enough to be overpowering. It feels creamy in the mouth, although not quite as thick as the appearance hinted at. I enjoyed it but one was enough for a sitting.

Overall I enjoyed this brew. It would be a good dessert beer. I think I might have to get some of it for the colder months.

08-24-2008 23:56:01 | More by bozebus17
RblWthACoz

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

When Wesley Snipes said always bet on black, I think he meant to always bet on this beer. This is the blackest beer I have ever seen. A thin tan head tops it off. Nose is toasty, minor tar like molasses, and blueberries of course. Flavor is a nice deep roast with a sweet blueberry accent. Really good balance. I am guessing, but it seems like they used real blueberries here. Whereas there isn't really a mass of complexity, there is definitely a great robust flavor. Smooth and thick liquid feel and a low carbonation. Damn drinkable. In my quest for the best blueberry beer out there, this is the winner by a mile so far.

Thanks to brewandbbq for the chance to enjoy this one.

08-23-2008 06:18:50 | More by RblWthACoz
joe1510

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

64oz Growler
$13.00
Brass Monkey
Kokomo, IN

This is my first sampling of Dark Horse's Tres Blueberry Stout on tap and in this case growler form. An aggressive pour has the thick body of this fruit infused stout chugging from the growler and forming a minimal half finger head. The body of this beer is just like the rest from the serious; thick and dense, which is a nice occurrence from a lower abv stout. Tres is midnight black and wont even consider letting a hint of light shine through. While the already small head fades even more over a short period of time the tiny ring that's left behind leaves some sticky but small patchy lacing. Each drink also leaves behind some legs as the residue falls back to the body.

The aroma is right on with what the bottled version has to offer. A solid helping of roasted chocolate combines with a rich, dense dark chocolate quality that lays down a perfect base for the slightly sweet, slightly tart, but always fresh blueberry aroma. The blueberry tends to float over the top of all the stellar stout qualities and makes for a beer that just makes my mouth water. I don't think I mentioned it yet but I am crazy for blueberries and every time I have ever stuck my nose in a glass of this beer I salivate like an animal.

The blueberry makes subtle appearances in the flavor as well and do nothing more then add a slightly sweet blueberry aspect that makes this beer the fine example of a fruit stout that it is. The heavily roasted grains and deep dark chocolate make for an already good stout but the faint addition of one of my favorite fruits add another layer of complexity that make this beer world class. The blueberry comes across with a nice peppery spiciness. As the glass warms there is a slight booziness that adds to the overall flavor of this beer.

All of Dark Horse's stouts in the series have the same mouthfeel and it couldn't be much better. This beer isn't very big, alcohol-wise, but shows an incredible velvety thick body. This stout is thick and chewy leaving a wave of silkiness over the tongue. Dark Horse nails the mouthfeel of their stouts.

The drinkability of this beer is top notch when taking into consideration the full body. A couple pints at a time go down without a problem and a third is in order without a doubt.

I've sampled this from the bottle quite a few times and enjoyed every single bottle. This is my first experience on tap and it's damn tasty. Blueberry stout is a beer I would love to see more of. The flavors seem to go together perfectly and Dark Horse did a great job putting this one together.

08-19-2008 03:20:05 | More by joe1510
bennetj17

Arizona

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Thin tan foam, the beer itself looks very black and viscous. Rich blueberries dominate the smell. They are quite nice, very "real" smelling, and not some artificial scent. Aside from that the beer retains some nice chocolatey stout characteristics in the nose.

The taste is dry and roasty, with a dark bitter chcolate flavor. The blueberries seem to have disappeared compared to what I could smell, but they come through more as the beer warms. Lightly chewy mouthfeel, but not as overly thick as the appearance would suggest.

The idea of a blueberry stout lowered my expectations, but overall it was great. Who would have thought? What a nice dessert beer. Even without tasting much alcohol, I would have guessed it was at least 7% based on the thickness and rich flavor. The fact that it is only 4.5% is amazing. I would like to have more of this now, and I would recommend it to all...

08-04-2008 04:25:40 | More by bennetj17
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%

wow, what a gem I never new existed.
A - pitch black with a dark brown head
S - dark burnt malts and blueberries
T - rich velvety dark malts, espresso, rich perfectly blended blueberries
M - medium full bodied, nicely cabonated, velvety smooth
D - so rich, so well balanced a beer, so incredibly complimentary are the blueberries that this beer seems so much bigger than it is.

I'd buy a six pack of this brew!

07-18-2008 17:38:43 | More by barleywinebrewer
corey0212

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Got this one in a trade with moose3285! Been dying to try this one, after sleeping on the entire Dark Horse lineup at EBF (so many beers, so little time...)

Pours midnight black with a great mocha-colored head that settles into a good ring around the glass with some decent lacing. Smells like a blueberry stout, how about that. Blueberry smell up front, some dark and roasty malt notes, maybe a touch of bitter chocolate. The blueberry taste is just right, kind of gets you on the back and sides of the tongue, slight burnt taste through the middle, and a pretty noticeable hop presence. Nice rounded mouthfeel, carbonation is lively, but it keeps things from becoming too syrupy-sweet. Never had anything like this, and certainly a tasty brew!

07-18-2008 01:45:00 | More by corey0212
Buebie

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Purchased several months ago from Heritage liquore in St. Paul.
I understand we cant get this anymore in MN.

Poured from a 12 0z bottle into an oversized merlot glass. Inky textures in the glass at the pour. Rigirously poured with less then a 1 finger black head, that qickly faded to no retention.
Black as night, no glowing off the glass when held to light.

Smell is roasty malt, fresh mashed blueberries, some mild alcahol funieness, which is odd at 4.5abv.

Thick creamy inky mouthfeel, almost a RIS in mouthfeel.
Taste up front is fresh ground coffe, charred nutty grains, The blueberries dont hit me until just at the swallow where there is a burst of fruit. At the swallow the toasted maltyness and bittering of the hops leaves a dry clean finish on my pallette.

This is done perfectly, I dislike fruit beers. But this is like no other I have had.
The blueberries are not overdone, and are only present in the smell and at the swallow.
Even then its humble.
Would have liked a little more retention.

If Willy Wonka brewed beer, this is one he would approve of.

07-16-2008 19:31:11 | More by Buebie
Deuane

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

A-Black with ruby highlights with a medium orange-mocha head that quickly faded to nothing. No lace whatsoever.

S-Wonderful aroma of blueberries, roasted malt, chocolate and a bit of espresso. This is very similar to a blueberry dark roast coffee that I love.

T-A smack of blueberry goodness followed quickly by roasted malts, chocolate and ends nicely with nice sweet/bitter combo from blueberries and espresso.

M-Medium-light body....just a tad on the thin side, still nice but....would like a bit more body to make this a bit more robust.

D-Really nice. Not as sweet as one would think as the chocolate/espresso components really mellow out the blueberry sweetness. A very nicely done fruited stout.

07-05-2008 22:10:39 | More by Deuane
SaucyA

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

A - I poured this into my Trois Pistoles goblet. I don't really know why, I just like using it sometimes. Pours black with brown and ruby highlights... with a brown ring of foam that seems to be dissapting as quickly as it formed. Not great, not ugly.

S - Wow, this smells tasty! Artificial blueberry syrup, real blueberries, chocolate malts, roasty goodness. Quite like a blueberry coffee.

T - Chocolatey, roasted malts, with a very slight blueberry note on the back-end. Well put-together if a little light on the flavors. Nothing off, but nothing smacking me in the face.

M - Thin, light-bodied... med-light carbonation.

D - Not so sweet as to be cloying and light body help allow this to be an easy drinker.

Notes: Funny story... I had, what I thought was a bottle of this in my cellar. After I managed to find some more the other day, I cleaned out my cellar only to discover I had a bottle of Dark Horse Too, and absolutely none of this. It was a brew I was looking forward to trying, and I'd have been VERY dissapointed to discover that I didn't have any!

07-01-2008 20:28:35 | More by SaucyA
Overlord

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

I was completely prepared for this to be one of my favorite beers ever. I'm a sucker for stouts with fruit backgrounds, be they mashed plums, currants, figs, etc.

Absolutely gorgeous beer. I'm noticing that Dark Horse creates consistently beautiful liquids. Black and viscuous, with a beautiful three or four inch dark brown head.

Smell is also wonderous, with dark chocolate, roasted malt, and blueberries wafting to the nose. The blueberries were definitely understated, which worried me a bit.

As it turns out, the brew could use more blueberries. It is a good tasting stout, don't get me wrong, but it's chocolate and roasted malt base has basically a hint of blueberry flavoring, and there isn't much else going on. Now this is a very good beer, and I'd order it regularly, but it isn't quite the home run I was hoping for. As with most fruit beers, this isn't the most "drinkable" of brews (I do not equate "drinkability" with "enjoyability", by the way.

Thanks to Sprinke for the extra.

06-27-2008 06:04:31 | More by Overlord
kleffman

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

I had high hopes for this beer going in. Pours an opaque black with nice head. Big time blueberry in the nose. Tastes definitely blueberry with a nice American Stout hiding underneath. Very balanced and not too bitter. Hint of smoke and roasted malt comes through. Overall I think it was a great base stout that they just added the blueberry to somehow. Nice full mouthfeel and very drinkable. Highly enjoyed.

06-07-2008 20:00:20 | More by kleffman
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to iceicebaby for the chance to try this one. Served in a nonic. Poured an opaque brown with ruby red highlights expressed during the pour and with each tilt of the glass. Half-inch mocha-colored head dissipated within seconds into a thin oily slick. Zero lacing present during the tasting. Scent of blueberry syrup dominates with just a subtle suggestion of chocolate in the background. Blueberry flavoring is significantly masked by a strong malt presence, in addition to a well-balanced chocolate and coffee character. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied. Starts off slightly viscous at the front, but a light carbonation balances it out at the finish. Drinkability is outstanding. This brew went down easy and left me wanting for more. Excellent offering from Dark Horse.

05-31-2008 03:19:31 | More by Jwale73
HopDerek

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours an inky black with almost no head, burnt orange and tan where it exists though, very little lacing. Smells of fresh blueberries, chocolate, and a touch of cappuccino. Tastes of a blueberry explosion up front followed by a smooth chocolate middle and a mellow coffee finish. Medium to medium full in body, low in carbonation, and very smooth and creamy with a nice unique blueberry twist that is very easy to detect but not detracting of the other flavors. A very different and tasty stout, very dessert-like, as if you dipped a blueberry in some chocolate fondue and chased it with a sip of cappuccino.

05-22-2008 22:42:52 | More by HopDerek
MeLikeBeer

4.1/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to DarkerTheBetter for this trade.

Poured into a tulip glass. Pours very dark with deep purple hue to it. Very light brown head.
Smells very sweet with intense blueberry scents.
The first flavors that hit your tongue are blueberry, but they do not overpower the coffee flavors or roasted malts.
Very creamy and delicious. I'm impressed.

05-21-2008 23:52:33 | More by MeLikeBeer
jhammerly

Nebraska

3.78/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to scoobydank for this.

Pours very dark and thick with a thin beige head. A nice roasted aroma with blueberries standing out. Blueberry touches the tongue, but does not dominate the overall flavor. Finishes with some coffee characteristics. A medium-bodied stout that is surprisingly good for a fruit-flavored beer.

05-18-2008 21:47:10 | More by jhammerly
kasper

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours like used motor oil with a thick and luscious chocolate head that doesn't bother to stick around. Patches of lacing on the glass. Tantalizing for the first thirty seconds after a heavy pour.

S: Kind of a sweet blueberry supported by a creamy chocolate backbone. Crazy for a stout. I like a lot.

T: Taste is rich, gradual explosion of blueberry followed by a subdued creamy chocolate, and finally coffee tainted finish.

M: Creamy and velvety, thick but on the lighter side of thick. I love the mouth feel, especially on tap.

D: This is an awesome brew because its so unique yet appetizing. Blueberry stout. Awesome. Had this on tap at Hop Devil in NYC and was even better. However, the bottle does not disappoint. Could take down a few of these in a sitting. Love it.

05-17-2008 04:52:51 | More by kasper