Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Thin tan foam, the beer itself looks very black and viscous. Rich blueberries dominate the smell. They are quite nice, very "real" smelling, and not some artificial scent. Aside from that the beer retains some nice chocolatey stout characteristics in the nose.

The taste is dry and roasty, with a dark bitter chcolate flavor. The blueberries seem to have disappeared compared to what I could smell, but they come through more as the beer warms. Lightly chewy mouthfeel, but not as overly thick as the appearance would suggest.

The idea of a blueberry stout lowered my expectations, but overall it was great. Who would have thought? What a nice dessert beer. Even without tasting much alcohol, I would have guessed it was at least 7% based on the thickness and rich flavor. The fact that it is only 4.5% is amazing. I would like to have more of this now, and I would recommend it to all...

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

wow, what a gem I never new existed.
A - pitch black with a dark brown head
S - dark burnt malts and blueberries
T - rich velvety dark malts, espresso, rich perfectly blended blueberries
M - medium full bodied, nicely cabonated, velvety smooth
D - so rich, so well balanced a beer, so incredibly complimentary are the blueberries that this beer seems so much bigger than it is.

I'd buy a six pack of this brew!

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Got this one in a trade with moose3285! Been dying to try this one, after sleeping on the entire Dark Horse lineup at EBF (so many beers, so little time...)

Pours midnight black with a great mocha-colored head that settles into a good ring around the glass with some decent lacing. Smells like a blueberry stout, how about that. Blueberry smell up front, some dark and roasty malt notes, maybe a touch of bitter chocolate. The blueberry taste is just right, kind of gets you on the back and sides of the tongue, slight burnt taste through the middle, and a pretty noticeable hop presence. Nice rounded mouthfeel, carbonation is lively, but it keeps things from becoming too syrupy-sweet. Never had anything like this, and certainly a tasty brew!

4.49/5  rDev +13.1%

Purchased several months ago from Heritage liquore in St. Paul.
I understand we cant get this anymore in MN.

Poured from a 12 0z bottle into an oversized merlot glass. Inky textures in the glass at the pour. Rigirously poured with less then a 1 finger black head, that qickly faded to no retention.
Black as night, no glowing off the glass when held to light.

Smell is roasty malt, fresh mashed blueberries, some mild alcahol funieness, which is odd at 4.5abv.

Thick creamy inky mouthfeel, almost a RIS in mouthfeel.
Taste up front is fresh ground coffe, charred nutty grains, The blueberries dont hit me until just at the swallow where there is a burst of fruit. At the swallow the toasted maltyness and bittering of the hops leaves a dry clean finish on my pallette.

This is done perfectly, I dislike fruit beers. But this is like no other I have had.
The blueberries are not overdone, and are only present in the smell and at the swallow.
Even then its humble.
Would have liked a little more retention.

If Willy Wonka brewed beer, this is one he would approve of.

4.14/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Black with ruby highlights with a medium orange-mocha head that quickly faded to nothing. No lace whatsoever.

S-Wonderful aroma of blueberries, roasted malt, chocolate and a bit of espresso. This is very similar to a blueberry dark roast coffee that I love.

T-A smack of blueberry goodness followed quickly by roasted malts, chocolate and ends nicely with nice sweet/bitter combo from blueberries and espresso.

M-Medium-light body....just a tad on the thin side, still nice but....would like a bit more body to make this a bit more robust.

D-Really nice. Not as sweet as one would think as the chocolate/espresso components really mellow out the blueberry sweetness. A very nicely done fruited stout.

4.09/5  rDev +3%

A - I poured this into my Trois Pistoles goblet. I don't really know why, I just like using it sometimes. Pours black with brown and ruby highlights... with a brown ring of foam that seems to be dissapting as quickly as it formed. Not great, not ugly.

S - Wow, this smells tasty! Artificial blueberry syrup, real blueberries, chocolate malts, roasty goodness. Quite like a blueberry coffee.

T - Chocolatey, roasted malts, with a very slight blueberry note on the back-end. Well put-together if a little light on the flavors. Nothing off, but nothing smacking me in the face.

M - Thin, light-bodied... med-light carbonation.

D - Not so sweet as to be cloying and light body help allow this to be an easy drinker.

Notes: Funny story... I had, what I thought was a bottle of this in my cellar. After I managed to find some more the other day, I cleaned out my cellar only to discover I had a bottle of Dark Horse Too, and absolutely none of this. It was a brew I was looking forward to trying, and I'd have been VERY dissapointed to discover that I didn't have any!

4.05/5  rDev +2%

I was completely prepared for this to be one of my favorite beers ever. I'm a sucker for stouts with fruit backgrounds, be they mashed plums, currants, figs, etc.

Absolutely gorgeous beer. I'm noticing that Dark Horse creates consistently beautiful liquids. Black and viscuous, with a beautiful three or four inch dark brown head.

Smell is also wonderous, with dark chocolate, roasted malt, and blueberries wafting to the nose. The blueberries were definitely understated, which worried me a bit.

As it turns out, the brew could use more blueberries. It is a good tasting stout, don't get me wrong, but it's chocolate and roasted malt base has basically a hint of blueberry flavoring, and there isn't much else going on. Now this is a very good beer, and I'd order it regularly, but it isn't quite the home run I was hoping for. As with most fruit beers, this isn't the most "drinkable" of brews (I do not equate "drinkability" with "enjoyability", by the way.

Thanks to Sprinke for the extra.

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

I had high hopes for this beer going in. Pours an opaque black with nice head. Big time blueberry in the nose. Tastes definitely blueberry with a nice American Stout hiding underneath. Very balanced and not too bitter. Hint of smoke and roasted malt comes through. Overall I think it was a great base stout that they just added the blueberry to somehow. Nice full mouthfeel and very drinkable. Highly enjoyed.

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Thanks to iceicebaby for the chance to try this one. Served in a nonic. Poured an opaque brown with ruby red highlights expressed during the pour and with each tilt of the glass. Half-inch mocha-colored head dissipated within seconds into a thin oily slick. Zero lacing present during the tasting. Scent of blueberry syrup dominates with just a subtle suggestion of chocolate in the background. Blueberry flavoring is significantly masked by a strong malt presence, in addition to a well-balanced chocolate and coffee character. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied. Starts off slightly viscous at the front, but a light carbonation balances it out at the finish. Drinkability is outstanding. This brew went down easy and left me wanting for more. Excellent offering from Dark Horse.

4.39/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours an inky black with almost no head, burnt orange and tan where it exists though, very little lacing. Smells of fresh blueberries, chocolate, and a touch of cappuccino. Tastes of a blueberry explosion up front followed by a smooth chocolate middle and a mellow coffee finish. Medium to medium full in body, low in carbonation, and very smooth and creamy with a nice unique blueberry twist that is very easy to detect but not detracting of the other flavors. A very different and tasty stout, very dessert-like, as if you dipped a blueberry in some chocolate fondue and chased it with a sip of cappuccino.

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to DarkerTheBetter for this trade.

Poured into a tulip glass. Pours very dark with deep purple hue to it. Very light brown head.
Smells very sweet with intense blueberry scents.
The first flavors that hit your tongue are blueberry, but they do not overpower the coffee flavors or roasted malts.
Very creamy and delicious. I'm impressed.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to scoobydank for this.

Pours very dark and thick with a thin beige head. A nice roasted aroma with blueberries standing out. Blueberry touches the tongue, but does not dominate the overall flavor. Finishes with some coffee characteristics. A medium-bodied stout that is surprisingly good for a fruit-flavored beer.

4.23/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Pours like used motor oil with a thick and luscious chocolate head that doesn't bother to stick around. Patches of lacing on the glass. Tantalizing for the first thirty seconds after a heavy pour.

S: Kind of a sweet blueberry supported by a creamy chocolate backbone. Crazy for a stout. I like a lot.

T: Taste is rich, gradual explosion of blueberry followed by a subdued creamy chocolate, and finally coffee tainted finish.

M: Creamy and velvety, thick but on the lighter side of thick. I love the mouth feel, especially on tap.

D: This is an awesome brew because its so unique yet appetizing. Blueberry stout. Awesome. Had this on tap at Hop Devil in NYC and was even better. However, the bottle does not disappoint. Could take down a few of these in a sitting. Love it.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Cool packaging with no freshness date.

Pours an uber dark brown/black with an interesting brownish/cocoa head that doesn't stick around long. No sticky legs to be seen, as well. The first whiff of this beer blew me away. It smelled like I just stepped on a carton of blueberries - freshly harvested and all natural. About 15 seconds later, after the bubbles fissed out, I sniffed again, expecting blueberries, but instead I was hit with a wave of blackened cocoa beans and coffee - very intersting, it seemed to be related to the amount of fiss on top.

Taste was strange to me. Got a blast of pepper, followed by coffee and dark chocolates and ending with a blueberry splash. Very unique indeed.

Not certain I'd run out to get more, but definitely interesting to try, very unique.

4.13/5  rDev +4%

Deep opaque black, no light gets through, and theres a roasty brown head with a soft but dark blue tint. Head drops to just a ring around the glass.

Holy crap this smells like blueberries! Blueberry pancakes to be more accurate. This is shaping up to be a textbook example of extreme beer (if there is such a thing).

Typical stout flavors of roasted coffee and chocolate followed by strong blueberry flavor. Roasty coffee breaks back through the sweetness to keep the blueberries in check. Crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is too thin, especially for a stout, but I'd rather this particular one be too thin than too thick.

Huge bonus points for creativity on this one. I wouldn't down a bunch of 'em, but I do really like it. A good 1-time special brew and I am glad I was able to pick it up as a single.

Tasted on 4/5/08. Beer level seemed too low in the bottle (almost all the way down to the shoulder of the longneck bottle), but the beer didn't seem to suffer at all.

3.67/5  rDev -7.6%

Four months after buying this single bottle, pressed into my hand by an enthusiastic local liquor purveyor, I finally find myself in the mood for a blueberry stout, whatever that is.

Looks like a stout, black, thin brown head goes quietly & quickly into the night. Smells like a blueberry muffin that's been cooked in a woodburning stove, pretty nice actually.

I steel myself. It's...it's...good! The stout part of the brew is stiff, creamy, malty, & the blueberry announces itself only vaguely on the back of the throat. Phew!

Surprisingly, I think I could drink more than one of these, maybe. Maybe not. I'm impressed with the Dark Horse beers I've had to date & will be seeking out more of them.

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

This beer pours motor oil black color. The head is one inch in height, blueish-tan (unlit now I had never known blueish-tan was a color) in color, and recedes very quickly into almost no lacing. The aroma is of fresh blueberries with underlying roasted malt, and graham cracker. The taste is of roasted malt, dark chocolate, blueberries, and has a graham cracker and vanilla finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a very good beer. I like how the blueberry is perfectly balanced into the stout. I would certainly drink this again.

2.96/5  rDev -25.4%

Thanks to autumnaldave for this bonus bottle. This pours practically black, with a very dark tan head that dissipates quickly. Smells of blueberry, molasses, and surprisingly alcohol. Tiny bit of chocolate coming through as it warms. Diving in, there's clearly a solid dry stout flavor profile here - roasty coffee, chocolate, slight nuttiness and faint oak bitterness, but the blueberry sweetness is just derailing it for me. It just dosen't mesh. Liking the dry finish but it clashes a bit with the lingering, increasingly cloying fruit. Bitterness leaves off with a strange herbal twang. Very thin mouthfeel, heavily carbonated - same sort of seltzer-like quality I noted in Double Crooked Tree. Could use a bit more body, maybe an oatmeal version, and maybe dialing back the bitter/dryness. Novel effort, but I'd much rather drink the (clearly quite good) plain old stout here that's been dressed up.

4.23/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer pours and looks like motor oil with a thin, creamy looking, mocha colored head. The nose has a nice wiff of blueberries on first smell and a deeper examination reveals subtle chocolate and coffee notes. Taste is nice, an intro to sweet blueberry followed by the finish of a dry stout, coffee being prevalent. The mouthfeel is viscous and very lightly carbonated. Drinkability is a little lacking in my opinion, interesting brew but not one I could session.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Received in trade from tmc. Thanks for the chance to try this one! Served at cellar temperature. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an Abbaye de Val-Dieu chalice. Beer was thick and black with a small, espresso brown colored head.

Aroma was chocolate, coffee and blueberries.

Taste was sweet with blueberries up front, but not overwhelming. Also notes of coffee and vanilla.

A very nicely crafted beer. Well balanced and not overly sweet. I would like to track down some more beers from Dark Horse.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%

12 ounce bottle purchased for $1.89 at Merchant Fine Wine in Dearborn Heights, MI. in March 2008 and brought back home to CA for my stout-loving wife. This review is a mix of her thoughts and mine.

Pours a inky, motor oil black that I usually associate with Russian Imperial Stouts- looks big and dark, with a moderate-small pleasant looking tan head.

Immediate fruity aroma jumps out- not big and bold, but definitely there. Very berry aromas. After that hits, roasty bitter chocolate and a hint of soot.

Flavor is fruity at first as well. After some sips, the chocolate notes, light bitter hop ending, and dry mouthfeel take over from the fruit, and it is nearly gone with the swallow. Another sip, fruit up front, quickly hidden by the other notes.

Generally, I/we like it. I'm not a stout fan like my wife, but this is a better crafted option.

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks for BigDaddyWil for this one. No best before date listed on bottle. Poured very dark into my SA special glass. 2 fingers of pretty tan brown head, fizzy to the ear. Head pretty much dissolved after 2 sips. Aroma of chicory with a faint touch of blueberry. As with the aroma, I got a faint pull of blueberry, followed by the chicory of the stout. Pretty carbonated in the mouthfeel, not too smooth but not bad either. Surprisingly, I taste a little blueberry on the lingering finish.
All in all, I was expecting more from this one.

4.69/5  rDev +18.1%

Found this baby in Michigan...picked up a four pack (or two...)

A: Pitch black, motor oil, looks like any good stout really. What else can I say?

S: AMAZING. Smells like a good/roasty stout, but wait...whats that? The heavenly scent of blueberry's are intermingled with the smell of chocolate and alcohol. Not too much, and not too little. Perfect!

T: Chocolate, coffie, molasses, licorice, but in the middle it suddenly sweetens out. A subtle blueberry sweetness keeps the stout flavor from overpowering you. This is a really nice brew.

M: Creamy, thick, everything a good stout should be.

D: This is a VERY drinkable stout. The blueberry aroma and flavor keeps it from being too overpowering as a big stout. I could easily put a few of these babys away in one sitting. Delicious! Do you like blueberry muffins dipped in stout? I do.

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

Therefore, I chose this one as my nightcap last night. I have been gradually working my way through the lineup of these, and have been generally more then pleased with the results so far, lets just see now how one a blueberry stout can hold up. The pour was just as I would have expected, dark as night and completely opaque. A very nice dark chocolate colored head rose up to a height of around two inches before finally settling back down to a thin layer across the top on the glass that lasted throughout the session.

The aroma was where its at. Very nice rich, sweet stout aroma, with the definite hint of blueberry inside. First impressions were that this was not your cheap artificial flavor, but rather a really nice blend that was done during brewing. There was a very nice coffee and chocolate layer in here as well, with the blueberry not being the strongest player, but definitely strong enough not to be ignored. The flavor as well was very strong, very sweet, and very good. A rich sweet stout that did not have the slightest hint of alcohol is what greeted me right away. Very nice touches of coffee and lactose, with a touch of vanilla are evident right off the bat. I was not able to detect the Blueberry in the flavor at first, then the finish hit me. Like a blueberry muffin, very nice with just the right amount of tartness throughout. This was easily one of the better fruit beers I have ever tasted. It was not overdone, rather just a touch put in there so that it accentuated the underlying ale beautifully. Really very nice and an awesomely sessionable nightcap for sure.

Overall, I thought this was excellent and was easily my favorite among all of the ones that I had before. I would love to try this one on tap, as I am sure it would be outstanding. If you can get this it is a must try. One of the best, and most unique stouts I have had in quite some time.

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Bottles courtesy of demitriustown and emacgee. Thanks!!
Pours dark, oily black with a medium sized nice and dark brown head. Smell definitely has some blueberry as well as some rich chocolately, slightly sweet, creamy roastiness. Taste is dark roasty and blueberries as advertised. Very drinkable, and chocolately. Much like dark chocolate covered dried blueberries. Really nice. Slightly sweet, but not overly so. This is a fantastic stout and my favorite Dark Horse beer so far.

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company