Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Avg: 4
Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 619 | Hads: 1,562
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

A - This inky black brew looks like liquid black licorice in the glass. the head is tiny to the point of absurdity, but what foam is there is like dark chocolate mousse and looks really nice despite it's diminutive size. Some really dark brown lace is left on the glass, and swirling serves up a nice cap of really, really dark brown head. This is so black that it's almost purple. This might be the darkest shade of black I've ever seen in a beer. I'd give it a five except for the tiny size of the head.

S - Dark chocolate with thick blueberry syrup, like the kind they have at IHOP. Rich dark roast coffee is prevalent, and the malt notes are like fluffy pancakes that might have been left on the griddle too long. Smells like breakfast at IHOP!!

T - Sweet, rich, thick, and tasty. This is like a rich dark coffee chaser after shooting an ounce of blueberry syrup. Wow. This is unique! I really taste pancakes slathered in butter and blueberry syrup or jam, and the coffee notes just make the breakfast complete!

M - Heavy, full bodied, rich, and silky. The level of carbonation is wonderfully restrained and velvety, but the heavy sugar laden mouthfeel can get a bit cloying at times.

D - Excellent and adventuresome offering from what is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries! There is nothing else like this on the market (to my knowledge). Good, good stuff! Not a session beer though.

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured pure black, and looked as thick as motor oil. It is topped with a small brown head that has good staying power.

The aroma is all over the place and I fear I can't do it justice. There are roasted malts, coffee, a bit of blueberry, and a hint of vanilla.

This is a great tasting beer. I am hit with the roasted malt, followed by wonderful toffee flavors. There is also a bit of coffee. The blueberry doesn't kick in until the end. There is just enough there to be pleasant, yet not enough to be overpowering. It feels creamy in the mouth, although not quite as thick as the appearance hinted at. I enjoyed it but one was enough for a sitting.

Overall I enjoyed this brew. It would be a good dessert beer. I think I might have to get some of it for the colder months.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

When Wesley Snipes said always bet on black, I think he meant to always bet on this beer. This is the blackest beer I have ever seen. A thin tan head tops it off. Nose is toasty, minor tar like molasses, and blueberries of course. Flavor is a nice deep roast with a sweet blueberry accent. Really good balance. I am guessing, but it seems like they used real blueberries here. Whereas there isn't really a mass of complexity, there is definitely a great robust flavor. Smooth and thick liquid feel and a low carbonation. Damn drinkable. In my quest for the best blueberry beer out there, this is the winner by a mile so far.

Thanks to brewandbbq for the chance to enjoy this one.

4.34/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

64oz Growler
Brass Monkey
Kokomo, IN

This is my first sampling of Dark Horse's Tres Blueberry Stout on tap and in this case growler form. An aggressive pour has the thick body of this fruit infused stout chugging from the growler and forming a minimal half finger head. The body of this beer is just like the rest from the serious; thick and dense, which is a nice occurrence from a lower abv stout. Tres is midnight black and wont even consider letting a hint of light shine through. While the already small head fades even more over a short period of time the tiny ring that's left behind leaves some sticky but small patchy lacing. Each drink also leaves behind some legs as the residue falls back to the body.

The aroma is right on with what the bottled version has to offer. A solid helping of roasted chocolate combines with a rich, dense dark chocolate quality that lays down a perfect base for the slightly sweet, slightly tart, but always fresh blueberry aroma. The blueberry tends to float over the top of all the stellar stout qualities and makes for a beer that just makes my mouth water. I don't think I mentioned it yet but I am crazy for blueberries and every time I have ever stuck my nose in a glass of this beer I salivate like an animal.

The blueberry makes subtle appearances in the flavor as well and do nothing more then add a slightly sweet blueberry aspect that makes this beer the fine example of a fruit stout that it is. The heavily roasted grains and deep dark chocolate make for an already good stout but the faint addition of one of my favorite fruits add another layer of complexity that make this beer world class. The blueberry comes across with a nice peppery spiciness. As the glass warms there is a slight booziness that adds to the overall flavor of this beer.

All of Dark Horse's stouts in the series have the same mouthfeel and it couldn't be much better. This beer isn't very big, alcohol-wise, but shows an incredible velvety thick body. This stout is thick and chewy leaving a wave of silkiness over the tongue. Dark Horse nails the mouthfeel of their stouts.

The drinkability of this beer is top notch when taking into consideration the full body. A couple pints at a time go down without a problem and a third is in order without a doubt.

I've sampled this from the bottle quite a few times and enjoyed every single bottle. This is my first experience on tap and it's damn tasty. Blueberry stout is a beer I would love to see more of. The flavors seem to go together perfectly and Dark Horse did a great job putting this one together.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Thin tan foam, the beer itself looks very black and viscous. Rich blueberries dominate the smell. They are quite nice, very "real" smelling, and not some artificial scent. Aside from that the beer retains some nice chocolatey stout characteristics in the nose.

The taste is dry and roasty, with a dark bitter chcolate flavor. The blueberries seem to have disappeared compared to what I could smell, but they come through more as the beer warms. Lightly chewy mouthfeel, but not as overly thick as the appearance would suggest.

The idea of a blueberry stout lowered my expectations, but overall it was great. Who would have thought? What a nice dessert beer. Even without tasting much alcohol, I would have guessed it was at least 7% based on the thickness and rich flavor. The fact that it is only 4.5% is amazing. I would like to have more of this now, and I would recommend it to all...

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

wow, what a gem I never new existed.
A - pitch black with a dark brown head
S - dark burnt malts and blueberries
T - rich velvety dark malts, espresso, rich perfectly blended blueberries
M - medium full bodied, nicely cabonated, velvety smooth
D - so rich, so well balanced a beer, so incredibly complimentary are the blueberries that this beer seems so much bigger than it is.

I'd buy a six pack of this brew!

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Got this one in a trade with moose3285! Been dying to try this one, after sleeping on the entire Dark Horse lineup at EBF (so many beers, so little time...)

Pours midnight black with a great mocha-colored head that settles into a good ring around the glass with some decent lacing. Smells like a blueberry stout, how about that. Blueberry smell up front, some dark and roasty malt notes, maybe a touch of bitter chocolate. The blueberry taste is just right, kind of gets you on the back and sides of the tongue, slight burnt taste through the middle, and a pretty noticeable hop presence. Nice rounded mouthfeel, carbonation is lively, but it keeps things from becoming too syrupy-sweet. Never had anything like this, and certainly a tasty brew!

4.49/5  rDev +12.3%

Purchased several months ago from Heritage liquore in St. Paul.
I understand we cant get this anymore in MN.

Poured from a 12 0z bottle into an oversized merlot glass. Inky textures in the glass at the pour. Rigirously poured with less then a 1 finger black head, that qickly faded to no retention.
Black as night, no glowing off the glass when held to light.

Smell is roasty malt, fresh mashed blueberries, some mild alcahol funieness, which is odd at 4.5abv.

Thick creamy inky mouthfeel, almost a RIS in mouthfeel.
Taste up front is fresh ground coffe, charred nutty grains, The blueberries dont hit me until just at the swallow where there is a burst of fruit. At the swallow the toasted maltyness and bittering of the hops leaves a dry clean finish on my pallette.

This is done perfectly, I dislike fruit beers. But this is like no other I have had.
The blueberries are not overdone, and are only present in the smell and at the swallow.
Even then its humble.
Would have liked a little more retention.

If Willy Wonka brewed beer, this is one he would approve of.

4.14/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Black with ruby highlights with a medium orange-mocha head that quickly faded to nothing. No lace whatsoever.

S-Wonderful aroma of blueberries, roasted malt, chocolate and a bit of espresso. This is very similar to a blueberry dark roast coffee that I love.

T-A smack of blueberry goodness followed quickly by roasted malts, chocolate and ends nicely with nice sweet/bitter combo from blueberries and espresso.

M-Medium-light body....just a tad on the thin side, still nice but....would like a bit more body to make this a bit more robust.

D-Really nice. Not as sweet as one would think as the chocolate/espresso components really mellow out the blueberry sweetness. A very nicely done fruited stout.

4.09/5  rDev +2.3%

A - I poured this into my Trois Pistoles goblet. I don't really know why, I just like using it sometimes. Pours black with brown and ruby highlights... with a brown ring of foam that seems to be dissapting as quickly as it formed. Not great, not ugly.

S - Wow, this smells tasty! Artificial blueberry syrup, real blueberries, chocolate malts, roasty goodness. Quite like a blueberry coffee.

T - Chocolatey, roasted malts, with a very slight blueberry note on the back-end. Well put-together if a little light on the flavors. Nothing off, but nothing smacking me in the face.

M - Thin, light-bodied... med-light carbonation.

D - Not so sweet as to be cloying and light body help allow this to be an easy drinker.

Notes: Funny story... I had, what I thought was a bottle of this in my cellar. After I managed to find some more the other day, I cleaned out my cellar only to discover I had a bottle of Dark Horse Too, and absolutely none of this. It was a brew I was looking forward to trying, and I'd have been VERY dissapointed to discover that I didn't have any!

4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

I was completely prepared for this to be one of my favorite beers ever. I'm a sucker for stouts with fruit backgrounds, be they mashed plums, currants, figs, etc.

Absolutely gorgeous beer. I'm noticing that Dark Horse creates consistently beautiful liquids. Black and viscuous, with a beautiful three or four inch dark brown head.

Smell is also wonderous, with dark chocolate, roasted malt, and blueberries wafting to the nose. The blueberries were definitely understated, which worried me a bit.

As it turns out, the brew could use more blueberries. It is a good tasting stout, don't get me wrong, but it's chocolate and roasted malt base has basically a hint of blueberry flavoring, and there isn't much else going on. Now this is a very good beer, and I'd order it regularly, but it isn't quite the home run I was hoping for. As with most fruit beers, this isn't the most "drinkable" of brews (I do not equate "drinkability" with "enjoyability", by the way.

Thanks to Sprinke for the extra.

4.32/5  rDev +8%

I had high hopes for this beer going in. Pours an opaque black with nice head. Big time blueberry in the nose. Tastes definitely blueberry with a nice American Stout hiding underneath. Very balanced and not too bitter. Hint of smoke and roasted malt comes through. Overall I think it was a great base stout that they just added the blueberry to somehow. Nice full mouthfeel and very drinkable. Highly enjoyed.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to iceicebaby for the chance to try this one. Served in a nonic. Poured an opaque brown with ruby red highlights expressed during the pour and with each tilt of the glass. Half-inch mocha-colored head dissipated within seconds into a thin oily slick. Zero lacing present during the tasting. Scent of blueberry syrup dominates with just a subtle suggestion of chocolate in the background. Blueberry flavoring is significantly masked by a strong malt presence, in addition to a well-balanced chocolate and coffee character. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied. Starts off slightly viscous at the front, but a light carbonation balances it out at the finish. Drinkability is outstanding. This brew went down easy and left me wanting for more. Excellent offering from Dark Horse.

4.39/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours an inky black with almost no head, burnt orange and tan where it exists though, very little lacing. Smells of fresh blueberries, chocolate, and a touch of cappuccino. Tastes of a blueberry explosion up front followed by a smooth chocolate middle and a mellow coffee finish. Medium to medium full in body, low in carbonation, and very smooth and creamy with a nice unique blueberry twist that is very easy to detect but not detracting of the other flavors. A very different and tasty stout, very dessert-like, as if you dipped a blueberry in some chocolate fondue and chased it with a sip of cappuccino.

4.12/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to DarkerTheBetter for this trade.

Poured into a tulip glass. Pours very dark with deep purple hue to it. Very light brown head.
Smells very sweet with intense blueberry scents.
The first flavors that hit your tongue are blueberry, but they do not overpower the coffee flavors or roasted malts.
Very creamy and delicious. I'm impressed.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to scoobydank for this.

Pours very dark and thick with a thin beige head. A nice roasted aroma with blueberries standing out. Blueberry touches the tongue, but does not dominate the overall flavor. Finishes with some coffee characteristics. A medium-bodied stout that is surprisingly good for a fruit-flavored beer.

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Pours like used motor oil with a thick and luscious chocolate head that doesn't bother to stick around. Patches of lacing on the glass. Tantalizing for the first thirty seconds after a heavy pour.

S: Kind of a sweet blueberry supported by a creamy chocolate backbone. Crazy for a stout. I like a lot.

T: Taste is rich, gradual explosion of blueberry followed by a subdued creamy chocolate, and finally coffee tainted finish.

M: Creamy and velvety, thick but on the lighter side of thick. I love the mouth feel, especially on tap.

D: This is an awesome brew because its so unique yet appetizing. Blueberry stout. Awesome. Had this on tap at Hop Devil in NYC and was even better. However, the bottle does not disappoint. Could take down a few of these in a sitting. Love it.

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Cool packaging with no freshness date.

Pours an uber dark brown/black with an interesting brownish/cocoa head that doesn't stick around long. No sticky legs to be seen, as well. The first whiff of this beer blew me away. It smelled like I just stepped on a carton of blueberries - freshly harvested and all natural. About 15 seconds later, after the bubbles fissed out, I sniffed again, expecting blueberries, but instead I was hit with a wave of blackened cocoa beans and coffee - very intersting, it seemed to be related to the amount of fiss on top.

Taste was strange to me. Got a blast of pepper, followed by coffee and dark chocolates and ending with a blueberry splash. Very unique indeed.

Not certain I'd run out to get more, but definitely interesting to try, very unique.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Deep opaque black, no light gets through, and theres a roasty brown head with a soft but dark blue tint. Head drops to just a ring around the glass.

Holy crap this smells like blueberries! Blueberry pancakes to be more accurate. This is shaping up to be a textbook example of extreme beer (if there is such a thing).

Typical stout flavors of roasted coffee and chocolate followed by strong blueberry flavor. Roasty coffee breaks back through the sweetness to keep the blueberries in check. Crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is too thin, especially for a stout, but I'd rather this particular one be too thin than too thick.

Huge bonus points for creativity on this one. I wouldn't down a bunch of 'em, but I do really like it. A good 1-time special brew and I am glad I was able to pick it up as a single.

Tasted on 4/5/08. Beer level seemed too low in the bottle (almost all the way down to the shoulder of the longneck bottle), but the beer didn't seem to suffer at all.

3.67/5  rDev -8.3%

Four months after buying this single bottle, pressed into my hand by an enthusiastic local liquor purveyor, I finally find myself in the mood for a blueberry stout, whatever that is.

Looks like a stout, black, thin brown head goes quietly & quickly into the night. Smells like a blueberry muffin that's been cooked in a woodburning stove, pretty nice actually.

I steel myself. It's...it's...good! The stout part of the brew is stiff, creamy, malty, & the blueberry announces itself only vaguely on the back of the throat. Phew!

Surprisingly, I think I could drink more than one of these, maybe. Maybe not. I'm impressed with the Dark Horse beers I've had to date & will be seeking out more of them.

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

This beer pours motor oil black color. The head is one inch in height, blueish-tan (unlit now I had never known blueish-tan was a color) in color, and recedes very quickly into almost no lacing. The aroma is of fresh blueberries with underlying roasted malt, and graham cracker. The taste is of roasted malt, dark chocolate, blueberries, and has a graham cracker and vanilla finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a very good beer. I like how the blueberry is perfectly balanced into the stout. I would certainly drink this again.

2.96/5  rDev -26%

Thanks to autumnaldave for this bonus bottle. This pours practically black, with a very dark tan head that dissipates quickly. Smells of blueberry, molasses, and surprisingly alcohol. Tiny bit of chocolate coming through as it warms. Diving in, there's clearly a solid dry stout flavor profile here - roasty coffee, chocolate, slight nuttiness and faint oak bitterness, but the blueberry sweetness is just derailing it for me. It just dosen't mesh. Liking the dry finish but it clashes a bit with the lingering, increasingly cloying fruit. Bitterness leaves off with a strange herbal twang. Very thin mouthfeel, heavily carbonated - same sort of seltzer-like quality I noted in Double Crooked Tree. Could use a bit more body, maybe an oatmeal version, and maybe dialing back the bitter/dryness. Novel effort, but I'd much rather drink the (clearly quite good) plain old stout here that's been dressed up.

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer pours and looks like motor oil with a thin, creamy looking, mocha colored head. The nose has a nice wiff of blueberries on first smell and a deeper examination reveals subtle chocolate and coffee notes. Taste is nice, an intro to sweet blueberry followed by the finish of a dry stout, coffee being prevalent. The mouthfeel is viscous and very lightly carbonated. Drinkability is a little lacking in my opinion, interesting brew but not one I could session.

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

Received in trade from tmc. Thanks for the chance to try this one! Served at cellar temperature. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an Abbaye de Val-Dieu chalice. Beer was thick and black with a small, espresso brown colored head.

Aroma was chocolate, coffee and blueberries.

Taste was sweet with blueberries up front, but not overwhelming. Also notes of coffee and vanilla.

A very nicely crafted beer. Well balanced and not overly sweet. I would like to track down some more beers from Dark Horse.

4.29/5  rDev +7.3%

12 ounce bottle purchased for $1.89 at Merchant Fine Wine in Dearborn Heights, MI. in March 2008 and brought back home to CA for my stout-loving wife. This review is a mix of her thoughts and mine.

Pours a inky, motor oil black that I usually associate with Russian Imperial Stouts- looks big and dark, with a moderate-small pleasant looking tan head.

Immediate fruity aroma jumps out- not big and bold, but definitely there. Very berry aromas. After that hits, roasty bitter chocolate and a hint of soot.

Flavor is fruity at first as well. After some sips, the chocolate notes, light bitter hop ending, and dry mouthfeel take over from the fruit, and it is nearly gone with the swallow. Another sip, fruit up front, quickly hidden by the other notes.

Generally, I/we like it. I'm not a stout fan like my wife, but this is a better crafted option.

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company