Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Avg: 4
Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 627 | Hads: 1,600
3.55/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Cool packaging with no freshness date.

Pours an uber dark brown/black with an interesting brownish/cocoa head that doesn't stick around long. No sticky legs to be seen, as well. The first whiff of this beer blew me away. It smelled like I just stepped on a carton of blueberries - freshly harvested and all natural. About 15 seconds later, after the bubbles fissed out, I sniffed again, expecting blueberries, but instead I was hit with a wave of blackened cocoa beans and coffee - very intersting, it seemed to be related to the amount of fiss on top.

Taste was strange to me. Got a blast of pepper, followed by coffee and dark chocolates and ending with a blueberry splash. Very unique indeed.

Not certain I'd run out to get more, but definitely interesting to try, very unique.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Deep opaque black, no light gets through, and theres a roasty brown head with a soft but dark blue tint. Head drops to just a ring around the glass.

Holy crap this smells like blueberries! Blueberry pancakes to be more accurate. This is shaping up to be a textbook example of extreme beer (if there is such a thing).

Typical stout flavors of roasted coffee and chocolate followed by strong blueberry flavor. Roasty coffee breaks back through the sweetness to keep the blueberries in check. Crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is too thin, especially for a stout, but I'd rather this particular one be too thin than too thick.

Huge bonus points for creativity on this one. I wouldn't down a bunch of 'em, but I do really like it. A good 1-time special brew and I am glad I was able to pick it up as a single.

Tasted on 4/5/08. Beer level seemed too low in the bottle (almost all the way down to the shoulder of the longneck bottle), but the beer didn't seem to suffer at all.

3.67/5  rDev -8.3%

Four months after buying this single bottle, pressed into my hand by an enthusiastic local liquor purveyor, I finally find myself in the mood for a blueberry stout, whatever that is.

Looks like a stout, black, thin brown head goes quietly & quickly into the night. Smells like a blueberry muffin that's been cooked in a woodburning stove, pretty nice actually.

I steel myself. It's...it's...good! The stout part of the brew is stiff, creamy, malty, & the blueberry announces itself only vaguely on the back of the throat. Phew!

Surprisingly, I think I could drink more than one of these, maybe. Maybe not. I'm impressed with the Dark Horse beers I've had to date & will be seeking out more of them.

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

This beer pours motor oil black color. The head is one inch in height, blueish-tan (unlit now I had never known blueish-tan was a color) in color, and recedes very quickly into almost no lacing. The aroma is of fresh blueberries with underlying roasted malt, and graham cracker. The taste is of roasted malt, dark chocolate, blueberries, and has a graham cracker and vanilla finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, this is a very good beer. I like how the blueberry is perfectly balanced into the stout. I would certainly drink this again.

2.96/5  rDev -26%

Thanks to autumnaldave for this bonus bottle. This pours practically black, with a very dark tan head that dissipates quickly. Smells of blueberry, molasses, and surprisingly alcohol. Tiny bit of chocolate coming through as it warms. Diving in, there's clearly a solid dry stout flavor profile here - roasty coffee, chocolate, slight nuttiness and faint oak bitterness, but the blueberry sweetness is just derailing it for me. It just dosen't mesh. Liking the dry finish but it clashes a bit with the lingering, increasingly cloying fruit. Bitterness leaves off with a strange herbal twang. Very thin mouthfeel, heavily carbonated - same sort of seltzer-like quality I noted in Double Crooked Tree. Could use a bit more body, maybe an oatmeal version, and maybe dialing back the bitter/dryness. Novel effort, but I'd much rather drink the (clearly quite good) plain old stout here that's been dressed up.

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer pours and looks like motor oil with a thin, creamy looking, mocha colored head. The nose has a nice wiff of blueberries on first smell and a deeper examination reveals subtle chocolate and coffee notes. Taste is nice, an intro to sweet blueberry followed by the finish of a dry stout, coffee being prevalent. The mouthfeel is viscous and very lightly carbonated. Drinkability is a little lacking in my opinion, interesting brew but not one I could session.

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

Received in trade from tmc. Thanks for the chance to try this one! Served at cellar temperature. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an Abbaye de Val-Dieu chalice. Beer was thick and black with a small, espresso brown colored head.

Aroma was chocolate, coffee and blueberries.

Taste was sweet with blueberries up front, but not overwhelming. Also notes of coffee and vanilla.

A very nicely crafted beer. Well balanced and not overly sweet. I would like to track down some more beers from Dark Horse.

4.29/5  rDev +7.3%

12 ounce bottle purchased for $1.89 at Merchant Fine Wine in Dearborn Heights, MI. in March 2008 and brought back home to CA for my stout-loving wife. This review is a mix of her thoughts and mine.

Pours a inky, motor oil black that I usually associate with Russian Imperial Stouts- looks big and dark, with a moderate-small pleasant looking tan head.

Immediate fruity aroma jumps out- not big and bold, but definitely there. Very berry aromas. After that hits, roasty bitter chocolate and a hint of soot.

Flavor is fruity at first as well. After some sips, the chocolate notes, light bitter hop ending, and dry mouthfeel take over from the fruit, and it is nearly gone with the swallow. Another sip, fruit up front, quickly hidden by the other notes.

Generally, I/we like it. I'm not a stout fan like my wife, but this is a better crafted option.

3.92/5  rDev -2%

Thanks for BigDaddyWil for this one. No best before date listed on bottle. Poured very dark into my SA special glass. 2 fingers of pretty tan brown head, fizzy to the ear. Head pretty much dissolved after 2 sips. Aroma of chicory with a faint touch of blueberry. As with the aroma, I got a faint pull of blueberry, followed by the chicory of the stout. Pretty carbonated in the mouthfeel, not too smooth but not bad either. Surprisingly, I taste a little blueberry on the lingering finish.
All in all, I was expecting more from this one.

4.69/5  rDev +17.3%

Found this baby in Michigan...picked up a four pack (or two...)

A: Pitch black, motor oil, looks like any good stout really. What else can I say?

S: AMAZING. Smells like a good/roasty stout, but wait...whats that? The heavenly scent of blueberry's are intermingled with the smell of chocolate and alcohol. Not too much, and not too little. Perfect!

T: Chocolate, coffie, molasses, licorice, but in the middle it suddenly sweetens out. A subtle blueberry sweetness keeps the stout flavor from overpowering you. This is a really nice brew.

M: Creamy, thick, everything a good stout should be.

D: This is a VERY drinkable stout. The blueberry aroma and flavor keeps it from being too overpowering as a big stout. I could easily put a few of these babys away in one sitting. Delicious! Do you like blueberry muffins dipped in stout? I do.

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

Therefore, I chose this one as my nightcap last night. I have been gradually working my way through the lineup of these, and have been generally more then pleased with the results so far, lets just see now how one a blueberry stout can hold up. The pour was just as I would have expected, dark as night and completely opaque. A very nice dark chocolate colored head rose up to a height of around two inches before finally settling back down to a thin layer across the top on the glass that lasted throughout the session.

The aroma was where its at. Very nice rich, sweet stout aroma, with the definite hint of blueberry inside. First impressions were that this was not your cheap artificial flavor, but rather a really nice blend that was done during brewing. There was a very nice coffee and chocolate layer in here as well, with the blueberry not being the strongest player, but definitely strong enough not to be ignored. The flavor as well was very strong, very sweet, and very good. A rich sweet stout that did not have the slightest hint of alcohol is what greeted me right away. Very nice touches of coffee and lactose, with a touch of vanilla are evident right off the bat. I was not able to detect the Blueberry in the flavor at first, then the finish hit me. Like a blueberry muffin, very nice with just the right amount of tartness throughout. This was easily one of the better fruit beers I have ever tasted. It was not overdone, rather just a touch put in there so that it accentuated the underlying ale beautifully. Really very nice and an awesomely sessionable nightcap for sure.

Overall, I thought this was excellent and was easily my favorite among all of the ones that I had before. I would love to try this one on tap, as I am sure it would be outstanding. If you can get this it is a must try. One of the best, and most unique stouts I have had in quite some time.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottles courtesy of demitriustown and emacgee. Thanks!!
Pours dark, oily black with a medium sized nice and dark brown head. Smell definitely has some blueberry as well as some rich chocolately, slightly sweet, creamy roastiness. Taste is dark roasty and blueberries as advertised. Very drinkable, and chocolately. Much like dark chocolate covered dried blueberries. Really nice. Slightly sweet, but not overly so. This is a fantastic stout and my favorite Dark Horse beer so far.

4.12/5  rDev +3%

SPLITGRIN hooked this one up. Thanks again.
This is one very distinct beer. If I was to describe this in one line, I'd say its a solid robust stout (think Sierra Nevada) with a very well balanced essecnce of blueberry.
Without meaning to I poured this with about half the sediment in the glass but can't seem to discern anything negative about this. If anything, it added to a beer with a lot going on.
So the pour was typical stout. Seemed a little thicker than the %ABV would have suggested. OK by me.
Immediately the scent set this apart from your everyday stout. Lots of ripe blueberry. Followed by some roasty goodness. As it warmed the berry aroma got more floral. Approaching a lilac-jasmine blend. Interesting.
So the first taste as it crosses the palate is blueberry. But it is in no way overpowering. Plenty of roasted malt with tone of chocolate and some hop bitterness easily step in for the finish.
I am really impressed how well these flavors all fit together. Makes me wonder how other stouts would do with the fruit treatment. I'm looking at you Cadillac Mtn.
Wish I had more of this.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a thick black viscous liquid with a bit of a chocolate head. Head development was less than desired but I've been pouring a bit less aggressively after going through a 6-er of Founders Red Rye with literally explosive head.

Blueberries! Chocolate is definitely in there too with bready malts. There is an ever so faint presence of alchohol to be detected as well.

Nicely carbonated, a bit lighter body than expected based on the pour but it is not watery by any means. Very smooth.

A bit of alchohol with the usual stout presences up front. The blueberries come in mildly as a nice surprise in the middle. The finish is slightly sweet and drying.

Overall not a bad beer. A departure from the norm and good for a change of pace. It's not something I'd buy regularly but its rotation and rarity make it impossible to do so as it is.

4.72/5  rDev +18%

Served on tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor. Poured black with dark purple highlights. There was a moderate brownish-red head that dissipated quickly. The nose was roasty but with lots of blueberry, it smells very sweet.

The taste matches the smell pretty well, it tastes like a bubbly warm blueberry cobbler with a nice roasted edge on the crust. The finish is lingering blueberries with with a mix of bitter chocolate and hoppy bite. It has a pleasing level of complexity without being over the top. The mouthfeel is great, with moderate carbonation and excellent smoothness. Surprisingly it feels more meaty and robust than the Dark Horse Imperial Stout, a little backwards in that respect but certainly nothing to diminish this beer.

Overall this was a very drinkable beer. I tend to get sick of fruity beers after the first half a pint or so but I could drink a few of these in a night and be happy about it. The Tres is just a very well crafted beer and a great example of what Dark Horse is capable of brewing.

As this tasting was on tap I will add an addendum to this review once I get to the bottle that is currently in my fridge.

4.12/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Pours a plain, unassuming black body with a small tan head.

Smell: Dark roasted malts with a pleasant, clear-cut blueberry scent. Though crammed into one sentence, I assure you it is a really lovely aroma.

Taste: Blueberry fruitiness right out of the game. Some sweet dark malts struggle to keep up. Taste of sugar-crusted chocolate muffin tops. More blueberries for the finish.

Mouthfeel: A bit above medium-bodied. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: It's actually pretty nice. The flavors contrast and complement each other quite well.

3.77/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks agian to Junnila for another great extra in our trade!
A - Jet black with a two finger mocha head that disipated quickly to a light ring leaving little to no lace.
S - Is there such a thing as blueberry coffee? If so this brew is what it would smell like. Heavy blueberry and an oatmeal like malt. The colaboration of which makes it smell like a blueberry muffin. The coffee accent is very subtle, but there.
T - A complete flip on the scent. Plethora of coffee and dark chocolate with the blueberry taking a back seat to the above mentioned while assuming the role of a subtle accent. Not a fan of sweeter beers so the apprehention I had about this beer is pretty much all gone.
M - Velvety with low carbonation with a milky coverage that coats the mouth leaving behind the blueberry sweetness.
D - Not a bad beer. The first I have had from Dark Horse and it did not disapoint. Can't wait to find more of these awesome beers.

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

A great example of Extreme Beer, simply thinking outside the box. Take a stout and add fruit to it, yeah its been done before but its still extreme. Killer, this stout is BLACK ... nothing off of the edges when put to the light. Black. Thick cropping of brown lace sticks to the glass quite well. Lots of blueberry in the aroma with layers of underneath of dark chocolate, hints of smoked charcoal, French Roast coffee and carob powder. Semi-creamy medium body, deep smoothness is pleasing to the palate. Mellow but very present blueberry flavor in the middle with some malt sweetness. Malt flavors run quick from mild caramel to a solid roasted grain. Hop bitterness is held to a minimum which is best because the roasted flavors do a fine job at balancing. Sweet finish.

While I am not a fruit beer nut I do enjoy a well crafted one, Dark Horse gets it right here with a great balance of sweet to roast and enough blueberry to go around with out being overkill.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

I'm all over the place with this one. It looks really nice and offers a perfect amount of head. Really dark for a stout of this low ABV. The smell is out-of-this-world. Really fantastic stuff with a great pungent blueberry mixed w/ roasty nose of a classic stout.

But I think the taste is mediocre, and it's too thin for what it's going for. The blueberry tastes excessively artificial. And the stout and berry flavor muddles together in the mouth. The result is a really odd bitterness in the aftertaste that gives off a sour feeling after a couple minutes. Really sticks with you.

I couldn't drink more than one in a sitting. But at the same time, this is a really unique beer, and a fantastic first shot at blending these two flavors. I'd recommend toning down the blueberry a tad and increasing the stout's power a touch in future batches.

In sum, this is worth trying. Not just for the novelty, but for the true unique effort to pull off this beer. I'd put this near the bottom of DH's stout series. Above the Oatmeal which tastes sour and off, but under the fabulous smoked and cream stouts.

4.06/5  rDev +1.5%

Perfect black pour, with a beautiful dark tan head that isn't seen very often.
The blueberries has a great fragrence to this beer, with a nice roasted backbone to go with it.
Great taste, now we are a little more roasted, a touch of hops and just a nice background of blueberry.
mouthfeel is creamy, and chewy. Very nice for a dry stout. Blueberry isn't sweet at all, this is just a very well done beer.

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a rich dark brown. Head is cocoa in color with plenty of lacing. Overall very thick and viscous.

Aroma is licorice and bitter dark fruit, but not necessarily blueberry. Dark grain adds a nice roasted character. Hints of chocolate and coffee.

Taste is where the blueberry comes out, and works very well with the creamy chocolate, coffee, and smokey dark grain.

Mouthfeel is thick, but very smooth and silky.

A very interesting stout. Blueberry complements the hearty stout character. Unusual and very interesting flavor. Pick this one up if you get the chance.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured a dark black with light brown highlights, a mild capacino colored head, mild retention.

Smell is all blueberry goodness, very fresh.

Taste has a lightly bittersweet burnt malt flavor, a touch of sweet cream, and a lightly cearal flavor, with a strong fresh blueberry finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but lightly creamy.

Easy to drink and enjoyable, a unique and tasty fruit stout combination.

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap last week at Hop Devil Grill in New York City. February is Stout month there, so this was one of the few on tap that I had yet to try. This wasn't the best that I've had, but it was pretty enjoyable and mellow for a nice winter's night.

It had a good pour to it - dark brown, not "motor oil" in it's look or consistency. The head was thick and didn't last long, but the lacing was much nicer than that. Of course, there's a blueberry taste here, but it's not that strong. The locorice and anisette notes were stronger, but amazingly, the alcohol wasn't easily detected. This had a relatively thin and dry taste, which wasn't bad...just not what I'm used to.

I wish I knew what tha ABV% was, since this didn't have the characteristics of an Imperial Stout or even something closer to Guinness. No matter - I'm glad I tried this and I like the pairing of blueberry with a style such as this. One could call this a "dark horse" of sorts, but I don't think that's the case if somewhere in my neck of the woods serves this!

4.37/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

So dark that you can't see through the pour. Yields better than a full finger foamy dark tan head that fades fairly quickly, leaving spotty lacing patterns. Hey, guess what it smells like... no seriously... it starts out with a distinct celebration of blueberries then settles out to a low-roasted chocolate stout that sells its edge to the berry. Blueberry's aren't naturally very fragrant. This bottle has a residue on the lip that picks up berry-roast combo as a muffin-like aroma. Lightly carbonated, the mouth feel is smooth, rich and tingles nicely in a medium body. The flavor is really nice too. A solid stout character that trades what might have been a modestly roasted chocolate flavor with that of the healthy blueberry. The berry taste isn't a big blast, but it lingers long enough to be considered well. Its really a cinch to drink. A little warming on the way down, but otherwise well integrated. This one scores maximum points for imagination!! Besides the New Glarus products, this Dark Horse is one of the first Fruit/Vegetable beers that i wouldn't hesitate to stick in my grocery cart. Thanks BigDaddyWil for the opportunity.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

12 oz bottle thanks to the brews n tunes BIF from BlackMallard.

Pours very black but a few carbonation bubbles stick to the glass for a moment or two. head is dark brown but falls and leaves no lacing. pretty impressive looking upon first pour.

Smell is overwhelmingly fresh baked blueberry muffins with the blueberry and bready type smells.

Taste is roasted, almost burnt, malt up front very heavy. midpalate the blueberries come in sweet, and then at the finish the berries leave a bit of a tart finish, drying the palate.

It is oily and thick in texture, and coats the tongue leaving for a long aftertaste of the roasted malt and tart berries.

I could drink a couple of these at once, if i was having dessert or something, but after that it would be too much. Very nice though, would welcome these any time in my house. not sure what the abv is but it is warming going down as well... if i had to guess id go in the 7-8% range.

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company