Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tres Blueberry Stout poured into a mug.

Pours a very black brown with a head that left in a hurry.

Smells of syrupy blueberries and black-strap molasses. Lots of dark grains and little hops.

Taste follow the nose with more of that dark syrup. The blueberries are rummy and ripe. There's a big backing of malt that is both sweet and roasty. The bitterness in the finish is akin to spicy hops that are acting a bit late. Long sweetness in the finish.

Medium thickness, low carbonation. A little sticky sweet.

I'm not a huge fan of the blueberry stout option, but this one stands tall among the ones that I've had. Could've used something. A hoppy character. Higher malt bitterness level. More roastiness. More of a fresh fruit character. Still a quality offering from Dark Horse.

thecheapies, Mar 11, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +2%

Appearance - Pours a viscous deep dark black motor oil, beautiful mocha head with decent lacing.

Smell - let me tell you honestly right when i was pouring this thing from a few feet away i could smell blueberries and it was SO enticing. However i feel that smell is very dominant but it is very good. I get faint strawberries, sugar and a hint of dark fruits.

Taste - Unsure how to score this based on a "stout" but this flavored stout is unbelievably tasty. Blueberries in the nose invite the taste which surprisingly are not blueberries, instead just a very nice sweetness with incredibly nice roasted stout qualities. Not bitter or chocolately, just a sweet drink that is mighty fine.

Mouthfeel - A little thin and a tad over carbonated but the only thing i can complain about.

Overall - I drank this for dessert with some 85% dark chocolate and let me tell you...HEAVENLY, the beer itself is unfreakingbelievably delicious if you like fruity, sweet beers. I usually dont but this one is so well crafted!

aorloski, Mar 11, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours dark like a typical stout. Topped with a head which was at first massive, but was a little small after I got into the drink. The slightest amount of lacing accompanies it.

The aroma is actually somewhat potent in terms of blueberries. It has dark and roasted malts as well, and I think a pinch of hops snuck through as well.

This is the point in the drink I was very curious about it. It almost seemed like there was no way blueberry flavor could go with a stout, but I can say that I was pretty wrong in that assumption.

The blueberry flavor is very clear, yet it's pretty subtle. There's only a bit of berry sweetness on the top, and it has a pretty solid blueberry foundation. The smell and the aroma are pretty seamless and every sip has a nice blueberry flow while providing a very tasty stout that seems to be tailored perfectly to it. It brings a fair amount of chocolate forward and could be likened to a blueberry chocolate bar. Also, in terms of richness, it does quite well for a 7.5% beer.

The body is medium thick, and the finish is considerably dry and slightly sticky.

Overall, this stout came from the "have to try this once" category to the "need to get some more" category. I tried this out of morbid curiosity, yet I'm loving what they've done with the brew. I'm pretty convinced that dark horse could make just about anything tasteful now.

BBP, Mar 10, 2012

djrn2, Mar 08, 2012

Ajlvt, Mar 03, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a three finger brown head that vanishes leaving no lace. Black color, no highlights, ton of yeast left in bottle. Light carbonation and medium-heavy bodied. Blueberry nose and flavor is roasted coffee and blueberry. $2.95 for a 12 oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

jdhilt, Mar 02, 2012

Texasfan549, Mar 01, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +2%

Enjoying with my good friend pchul4

A: Dark as night with a coppery colored head. Very little head overall, with no lacing. Looks great to me.

S: Smells like straight blueberries, with a little of the roastiness in stouts. Very good. Im eager to try this.

T: Pretty good. The roasty character of the stout mixes fairly well with the sweet blueberry flavor. However, I feel as though the blueberry kind of tastses a little odd when paired with blueberry.

M: A little light, with slight carbonation. Pretty smooth. Most of the time I look my stouts to be a little thicker, but I actually enjoy the lighter mouthfeel of this. Probably because of the sweetness from the blueberry.

O: A pretty good sweet stout overall.

areich6, Mar 01, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

Shared with my boy areich6, big thanks to my friend Tony for hookin me up with this one

A- Pours a very dark body with one of the darkest heads I've ever seen #junglefever

S- Blueberrys attack the nose followed by some roasty malt character. This smells great!

T- You can taste the blueberry and the roasty malts meld in your mouth. Delectible! I would like a slightly stronger blueberry flavor but it's good just the way it is

M- A little too much carbonation for a stout but thats really the only bad thing I can say about this beer

O- I really enjoyed this beer, wish I had more to share with more friends

pschul4, Mar 01, 2012

Beezee, Mar 01, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from winter 2010-2011.

Pours essentially black, dark brown at the edges. Two-finger coffee-colored head, decent retention and some really nice lacing. Looks a lot like their other stouts, but with more head, better lacing, and a deeper color.

Smell is full of smooth coffee and chocolate, complemented by a juicy sweetness. If I try hard, I can convince myself I smell blueberries. I get a bit of them in the middle of the smell, but mostly they bring that dark-juicy light-sweet fruit aroma. Quite nice. Has a very similar malt base smell to the other stouts in this series, but that chewy fruit addition is a great complement.

Taste is much like the smell, but with more blueberry. Again the malts bring chocolate and coffee, with only a light hit of bitterness. Then the blueberries come on strong, pushing through the finish with a delicious berry-juice sweetness. A little bitter kick, like blueberry skin, comes on at the very end. I think this is my first fruit stout, and I really like it.

Medium-bodied, ample carbonation. Kinda chewy, actually.

I've been drinking my way through Dark Horse's "numbered" stouts. This one is definitely the best so far. The blueberry works really well with the dark roasted malts - so well that I'm surprised more brewers don't do this. An excellent beer, IMO.

zeledonia, Mar 01, 2012

kjkinsey, Feb 29, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a viscous black motor oil with no head and little to no carbonation evident.

Aromas begin with blueberries and coffee. When I actually bring the glass to my nostrils I get, you guessed it a crap ton of blueberry coffee. As it warms I get more soy sauce and smoked malt. A little off-putting than I remember having in the bottle several months ago.

The taste is not as dominant as the nose but thank goodness. Initially you get lots of bitter dark baker's cocoa and lesser fudge brownies a consistent artificial blueberry maple syrup.

The mouthfeel is so so so full for a 4 and change ABV beer. Carbonation is low and could definitely use a bit more considering the style. A little too syrupy. Chewy and so so so full bodied.

Overall this is not as amazing as I remember in the bottle when I first sampled last year. This is much more roasted and smokey than I remember and I prefer the lighter coffee and chocolate from the bottled version than this thick roasted acrid example.

claspada, Feb 27, 2012
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The brew is brown with reddish traits, a quickly dissipating tan foam, no lacing, some curtains.

The first whiff from the bottle was intensely blueberry jam, then it quickly turns very sweetish sour (stomach acid vibe). Some sour old coffee filter.

Tasting sweet brown blueberry bread, some vanilla and dark chocolate. Roasted nuts.

Little carbonation, big bubbles, smooth and slightly oily. A faint dry finish.

This did not resonate with me, the smell was very off-putting.

rarbring, Feb 27, 2012