Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +2%

Thanks optimator13 for this very interesting stout!

A - I don't know what I was really expecting when I poured this, perhaps amber color like the only previous blueberry beer I had was but damn was I surprised! Pours jet black with a huge fluffy head. Laces the glass beautifully.

S - Did my grandmother just walk in with a tray of blueberry muffins? Nope, that's the nose of this beer. Wow, great blueberry notes, fresh mind you, and a strong roasted caramel scent. A little cake/bready smell as well - I swear this smells just like a blueberry muffin. Smell is a total nostalgia kick to my childhood. This really smells fantastic.

T - More blueberries and cake. Strong malt backbone that complements the blueberry sweetness.

M - Medium mouthfeel, a little silky. Carbonation is right on.

O - I usually opt out to beers infused with fruits that aren't lambics or what have you but this was an exceptional treat. Never would have thought that the malt base would do so well with the blueberries. Really a treat in a glass, I wish I had some muffins to accompany this beer.

Bennettrox, May 18, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

L - Beer looks great. Dark black with a tan, one finger head.

S - Wow. Strong blueberry smell. The aroma really gets me excited to taste this beer.

T - Don't taste the blueberry nearly as much as you smell it (which is probably a good thing). You get more of a traditional stout flavor profile with a slight blueberry kick at the end.

M - A little on the light side for a stout, yet still very good.

O - Very impressed with this beer. Great job of creating a beer with a huge blueberry aroma without an overwhelming blueberry taste. Skeptical at first, but would certainly buy this beer again.

ZackH, May 17, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

I've had this beer numerous times on draft and in bottles. It's an exceptional American Stout.

It looks great. The color of black coffee with a cappuccino colored head. Big aromas of charred malt and freshly juiced blueberries. More juice than whole berry. A very nice aroma, complex.

The taste follows the aroma. A very good base stout accented perfectly by the fruit. Dark malts, coffee, and some chocolate. Lots of blueberry on the back end and a long, grainy finish. Very good mouthfeel. Feels bigger than it's abv.

All in all a top notch American Stout and it shows what American brewers can do with non-traditional ingredients. A winner.

Brew33, May 12, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

Blueberries on the nose, allthough my wife swears she smells only black licorice, and tastes only black licorice. Taste is all blueberry up front (to me), coffee after i've swallowed. The after taste is better for me then the in my mouth taste. The taste transition from blueberry to coffee is pretty cool though. Very different. much sweeter than i like from a stout. Something that any stout lover should try at least once based purely upon the peculiararity of it, allthough once was enough for me.

1Adam12, May 12, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Stone IRS glass. It poured black in color with a fizzy tan head filling the top inch of the glass. The head settled pretty quickly and left a thin ring around the edges of the glass as I drank it.

The blueberries come through pretty well in the aroma. I get a fresh fruit, juicy, sweeter, berry like quality coming through. A little bit of the chocolate and roasty flavors come through and go with the berries pretty nicely actually.

The taste starts out with more of the sweeter, berry character to it. Midway it starts to turn more roasty and bitter with some chocolate and coffee notes coming through. The dry, roasty, slightly burnt character lasts through the finish and lingers for a bit. The blueberry gives it a pretty nice flavor throughout the beer though.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is high. Overall it was a pretty nice beer, the blueberries really worked well for it. I especially liked how they interacted with the bitter, roasty flavors. Definitely an interesting and tasty beer overall and one of the better fruit stouts I've had.

billab914, May 12, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Up for review is a bottle of Tres from Dark Horse. Enjoyed at room temp in a pint glass. Pours a nice black with an espresso head. A sweet, milky stout with some artificial blueberry. Body drinks well, lacks complexity. Not bad, but nothing great either.

rye726, May 09, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours an oily, thick-looking opaque black with a ridiculous 4-finger dark brown head. The head is a little unstable, and the appearance loses points for that. Moderate lacing.

The aroma is just like a fresh blueberry muffin. The flavor is burnt malts up front with blueberry in the end. Just some charred aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with more carbonation than I expected, but that's not a bad thing. Not as oily or thick, as I had anticipated based on the pour.

This is drinkable, but the blueberry flavor seems a bit artificial. It's not a complex stout, but if you like blueberry muffins, you'll like this one.

theghost3, May 09, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

Thanks to GrandCruDrew and Bay01 for sending me bottles of this one!

Pours a thick opaque black with a nice 2 inch dark khaki head that fades to a small cap. Thick frothy lace that drips back down into the beer on the drink down. Smells exactly like chocolate covered blueberries. Awesome. Taste is pure bittersweet dark chocolate covered dried blueberries. A very complex balance between the roasted and chocolate flavors and the blueberry. An almost perfect level of carbonation leaves this beer feeling very crisp yet smooth and creamy. Overall, this is a shockingly exceptional beer. I was expecting this to be way different with a fake tasting fruit flavor. This is a beer I could drink all night long without getting tired of it, especially at the 4.5% ABV it has. I am super glad I have 2 more bottles of this in my cellar to enjoy at a later time.

UCLABrewN84, Apr 30, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

12oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It pours like motor oil and is as dark a brown as you're gonna find. Two inches of cocoa colored head sits on top.

S - The aroma is roasted malt, dark chocolate and blueberry. My mouth is watering with anticipation!

T - I get burnt malt but the blueberry comes in to sweeten it up a bit. I like it though.

M - Creamy and viscous. Just the way I like it

O - I love almost everything about this beer. It looks great. It smells great and is creamy and thick. The taste could use a tweaking to make this a phenomenal beer.

buschbeer, Apr 29, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Tres pours a very dark brown with a wonderful mocha colored head. The head is nice and frothy with great retention but just decent lace. The beer looks to be quite well carbonated and it is very enjoyable to watch the trails of deep tan bubbles make their way up the sides of the glass.

The aroma is quite intriguing as dark chocolate fudge and coffee mix with a nice fruity blueberry aroma. The nose is very well integrated and I find that the mix of the roasted malt and blueberry works surprisingly well together. There is also just a hint of caramel sweetness, but other than that this nose is simple but very nice.

The blueberry is a bit harder to pick up in the flavor as the roasted malt really comes through. Plenty of chocolate fudge and some coffee up front yield to quite a bit of malt sweetness that is spiked by a nice fruitiness. The blueberry notes sort of fade in and out and are a bit less obvious, but their tart/sweet character plays well off of the roasted and slightly smoky malt.

The mouthfeel is on the fuller side of medium with a nice smoothness that is accented by spiky carbonation. The finish is a bit funky with juicy blueberry and dark cocoa malt lingering on the palate. Not the best finish for a stout, but not bad.

Overall I found this to be a very interesting and enjoyable stout. I really did not think that a blueberry stout would be something that would interest me that much, but this beer turned out to be well made and has some very nice flavors. This is not something I would drink all the time, but I definitely recommend you pick up some and try it for yourself.

zoso1967, Apr 27, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +18.9%

I bought this beer a couple of times over a year ago and would love to find it again. It's a nice combination of a very dry and bitter stout with the perceived (aromatic) sweetness of blueberries making for a phenomenal balance. I usually prefer a hefty stout with twice the alcohol, but this was just as satisfying. I'm glad to see it get good ratings, since the blueberry thing might pigeonhole it with some people as somewhat of a novelty. And I didn't even think of myself as much of a blueberry fan before trying it.

AnonymousNick, Apr 25, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Picked up two 12 oz. bottles at Blue Dog Family Tavern in Chalfont, PA last weekend. I feel like I haven't seen this one store shelves near me.

12 oz. bottle -> snifter

A - Pitch black, dark tan head scoots to the edge rather quickly

S - Sweet blueberries, roasted coffee, dark chocolate. So surprises there.

T - Exactly like the aroma but with a bitter and tart finish. Tart fruit flavors are very much up front, almost to a fault. But when you choose to get in to a blueberry stout you have to expect that.

M - Feels this to medium in body

O - This is a nice sweet treat. Certainly unique and fairly well crafted. This is a beer that I'd pick up from time to time if I saw it. It would be nice to keep on hand.

tbrown4, Apr 24, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to Kingkong for opening this

This beer pours a color of pitch black night, no hint of anything but black. Not much head to speak of, maybe a tight layer at the rim. Not overtly carbonated, but that was ok because the mouthfeel wasn't terrible viscous. Thought it could have used some more carbonation and heavier mouthfeel. The nose is wonderful blueberry. Not much more than that with a hint of caramel maltiness. Not as much blueberry on the taste, kind of not loving the flavor as much as the nose. The malty roasty flavors I like in a stout aren't really prevalent. Overall good beer, glad I tried it, wouldn't seek it out.

wchollif, Apr 20, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

A: deep brown/black, light and fizzy brownish head. Pours more like a brown ale, but hey it's a lighter stout.

S: holy moly, this one smells fantastic! Dark malts give way to fresh blueberries, chocolate, and coffee. Plenty of fruit in the nose, and it's well balanced.

T: roasty stout malts open up to bittersweet chocolate and subdued blueberry muffin flavors. Just the right amount of blueberries; most beers of this style fail miserably in this department, but Tres shines brightly. Finishes dry with zero boozy warmth.

M: medium body; somewhat light for a stout. Quite easy to drink, as expected.

O: a relatively light, well-refined stout that matches well with pastries of all forms. Dare I suggest one for breakfast?

brystmar, Apr 20, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a small bottle sent by badnewsbeers. According to the brewery, Tres is number three in a series of five stouts “produced to help ease you through the cold and grey midwestern winters” — hence the name!

Tres emerges from the bottle a creamy, high-viscosity black that sits in the glass calmly while a fizzy one-finger head the color of cinnamon rises from the depths. A silky top layer is all that remains after a minute or two, but there is a tiny bit of spotted lace.

The aroma of blueberry pancakes overtakes the sense upon first whiff of the beer. I should be having this with breakfast. Bitter dark chocolate, espresso and some sourdough show up, but it’s really all about the blueberries.

The berries play a far smaller role in the flavor. Their fruity sweetness is noticeable for a flash in the front, but is quickly replaced by a hefty, acrid roast character. I get charred toast amid loads of dark coffee beans. The berries emerge more as it warms, but never really get to the level I’d like.

Moderately fizzy, with the associated massaging carbonation that comes with it. The body, while it holds together, is a silky medium — perhaps just a little thin for the style. The bitterness of the malts is perfect, and the alcohol isn’t noticeable at all.

I wish the flavor had followed through from the aroma — I could use more berries. Decent, but not as good as it could be.

Phelps, Apr 19, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

This pours an impressive black, no light even on the pour, with a half finger khaki head that sticks around as well as any I've ever seen. There is no lace. On the nose, it smells like sitting down to a blueberry pancake breakfast. There is the initial hit of blueberries and some toasted bread, and further away there is a cup of dark roast coffee. Maybe it's suggestive interference or something, but I also seem to get a little bit of syrup and a hint of alcohol in the nose. In the mouth the blueberries sit back a bit further, side by side with the coffee flavors and a bit of burnt toast. The coffee is the predominant flavor in the medium finish, like you're swallowing coffee while chewing a bit of blueberry pancake. The feel is towards the thin side of medium, and I'd like to see what this could be if it were a bit bigger, but that's the only chink in this beer's armor.

I'm midway through my backwards through the Dark Horse stout series and I'm a big fan of each one I've had so far. They've definitely been in the same family, but more like cousins than brothers. A great series from a brewery I haven't been wild about until now.

EricCioe, Apr 19, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

Deep dark obsidian black with a burnt brown 1" head that falls to a 1/4" cap....

Aroma: Of course blueberrys are all over this ....dark roasted malts...sweet vanilla tanins in the background

Taste: Very sweet up front (a bit cloying) ...blueberries and dark figs....sweet herbal notes and dark chewy oats....good but not the most complex...

Mouthfeel: not thiick but also not too thin....nice sweet tones

Overall: a good stout to revert to every now and again...not much of a session stout though....cheers!

nuggetsofnectar, Apr 19, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -26.2%

12oz bottle into a tulip.

A: It pours a motor oil black color, completely opaque. There is a tan one finger head that fades quickly with no retention or lacing.

S: Blueberries out front with notes of coffee, cocoa and roasted malts providing a decent base. As the beer reaches room temperature there is not much of a change in the nose. The dimensions of the aroma don't imply any real complexity, a bit one dimensional.

T: The blueberry flavor takes the lead and never really lets up. There are hints of coffee, chocolate and roasted malts, but they are really subdued. A strange medicinal flavor to the blueberries takes hold mid palate which I find cloying and regrettable. It finishes a bit chalky and sweet.

M: Medium bodied with ample carbonation.

O: I was a bit disappointed with this beer. I thought there was some real potential in adding a hint of blueberries to a stout, but in the end the fruit was a bit to dominant for me.

Neffbeer, Apr 18, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a 4 pack of Tres Blueberry Stout for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. I had this at a beer festival last year and it was one my favorites of the weekend, so when I saw the a fresh four pack on the shelf I knew I had to buy it and give it another try. No visible freshness date, thats the norm with Dark Horse, but I know this beer is fresh. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is simple and kind of abstract but it goes in line with the other beers in the series to make a picture, the blueberry on the label indicates it has blueberry's in it. It poured a dark pitch black color with two and a half fingers worth of mocha colored head that died down to nothing after a couple minutes.

S- The aroma starts off with everything you would expect from a lighter stout, dark roasted malts and bittersweet chocolate along with a little bit of coffee and black liquorice. The are lots of blueberry's in the aroma, that gives this beer a really unique aroma compared to other stouts, almost like chocolate covered blueberry's. One whiff of this brew and you know it is not your normal stout.

T- The taste follows the aroma nicely and is fairly similar. At first I am hit with all those dark roasty base flavors from the stout that impart some nice chocolate and coffee flavors along with a little bit of black liquorice. In the middle there are lot of sweet blueberry's that taste real and fresh not syrupy and artificial. There was some good balance and harmony with this brew, the stout and blueberry flavors combined nicely and neither overpowered each other.

M- Medium bodied, I would have liked it just a little thicker. It had a semi dry finish and good carbonation.

Overall I really liked this beer and it tasted just as good as it did a year ago. This beer had some complexity to it and had great balance between roasty stout flavors and freshly picked blueberry's. I thought the combination of blueberry's worked really well with this beer, it really makes it stick out from all the other stouts on the market, one whiff of this and you know it's not your average stout. I am going to have to go back to the store and grab another four pack before this beer disappears till next year. If you like your stouts with a twist and are looking for a fruit stout done right look no further this one is on point. I find a lot of fruit infused stouts don't turn out that good and taste artificial, well this one doesn't, Dark Horse hit the nail on the head with this brew. This is my favorite beer from the their stout series, don't pass this one up.

StoutHunter, Apr 17, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a dark thick color with a finger or so of thick, dark foam that lingers. The blueberries come through best on the nose on top of the large roasted scent of the barley. Only a hint of blueberry comes through in the flavor profile, but it is there, especially lingering at the end between sips. The main flavor is of a robust, roasted stout. The mouthfeel is pleasantly thick for the style. Overall, this is a pretty darn tasty drink, and the low ABV lends itself to being a good session beer.

RedSpecial1, Apr 10, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to betsona for this one. 12 oz. bottle poured into a Delirium tulip.

A: Pitch black. The pour dropped a one and a half finger, mocha head that left some lace.

A: Roasted malt, chocolate, small vanilla, and yes the blueberry. The berries are very prominent in the nose. Not much hop presence.

T: Very pleasantly surprised with this. The blueberries are definately present, but their sweetness is backed up by a nice chocolate and roasted malt backbone. It finishes slightly dry, with absolutley no hint of the ABV.

M: Creamy and full. Very nice feel for a brew that only comes in at 4.5%.

O: I am pretty impressed with this. I really like the way the blueberries play with the chocolate and roast. And at only 4.5%, I could have a few of em. Reccomended. Skal.

Gtreid, Apr 08, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into standard pint.

A- Pours a pitch black with a small head and leaves no real lacing on the side of the glass.

S- The norms are there, big amounts of toasted malt, some coffee and black licorice. The blueberry is quite prominent which is a good sign.

T- The blueberry is much more subdued than in the nose. Toasted malts and some black licorice and a little bit of tobacco. The blueberry is well integrated but I wish it was a little more dominant.

M- A little light for my liking. Medium to lighter bodied which I think has a lot to do with the low abv. There is decent carbonation to it though.

O- Started off well but I was expecting more blueberry. Pretty standard stout but I was surprised how much flavor they packed in for such a small abv.

Wisconsinality, Apr 07, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to Crack1Open for this one. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery pint glass.

A: Standard pour yields a 3.5 finger coarse, foamy dark chocolate colored head with poor retention. Beer is an opaque black. Lacing is non-existant. To style but not much more.

S: Huge sweet blueberry presence in the nose. I can smell it as I'm pouring. Rosated malt, chocolate, and liquorice in the background help balance out the fruit. Pleasant and very unique. Aromatic too.

T: Opens sweet milk chocolate and blueberries complemented by a tingle of roasted malt in the background. Cocoa powder addition towards the middle. Sweetens further at the end with notes of brownie, chocolate pudding, and liquorice. Blueberry never fades. Finish is sweet cocoa, blueberry, and grainy chocolate. Slightly harsh cocoa powder finish. Impressive fruit flavor here but overall a bit too sweet for my liking.

M: Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation. Silky, heavy, and filmy in the mouth and oily and viscous going down with just a small presence of bubbles. Finish is messy with an aggressive aftertaste that lingers.

O: A nice take on a blueberry beer. This one shows a lot of promise at the beginning and middle but starts to fall apart a bit towards the end. Finish is too sweet and leaves a filmy, powdery feel right at the end. Nice and definitely worth seeking out but could also use a little work.

SpeedwayJim, Apr 06, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +4%

Pours a pitch black with a medium brown head. Very nice looking beer. Scent is very unique! Strong blueberries up front, followed by chocolate and coffee. Taste is a lot more delicious than I was expecting. Great blueberry flavor followed by coffee and dark fruits...then some chocolate and roasted flavors. Finishes with more blueberry. There is strong sweetness throughout. So much flavor for such a low ABV beer. Mouthfeel is pretty standard for a stout. Not to thin, and not overly thick like an imperial stout. Drinkability is high. Overall, this is a beer that I could not compare to anything else I've ever had. Extremely genuine and delicious!

DovaliHops, Apr 05, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -55.2%

Thanks to Boxcar01 for this intriguing bottle in trade...

Poured from the 12oz bottle into my heavy based pint glass. Deep dark black, with 1/4" of brown head that seems to be lingering. Solid layer of lacing.

Blueberries hit your nose pretty hard initially. That's followed up by dark roasted coffee beans. There's also some smoakiness in the nose as well.

Taste is mostly sweet blueberries. The coffee in the nose comes through in the taste as well, but is overpowered by the blueberries. The blueberry flavor is overly sweet, cloyingly so and is making this beer hard to palate.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin for the style. Carbonation is on the high side making for a fizzy/odd mouthfeel. I'm in the minority here but I thought this was an awful beer. I normally don't slam a beer like this but it tastes like blueberry soda mixed with bad coffee.

dciBA, Apr 04, 2011