Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry StoutDark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Dogfish Head Snifter. Huge thanks to UMNbeerhunter for this great extra

A- Pours black with a nice quarter inch mocha head. Little to no lacing at all.

S- Main smell I get is blueberries. I get a little bit of coffee on the backend.

T- Complete opposite of the smell. I get chocolate and coffee up front with a nice blueberry finish.

M- Medium bodied.

D- A very sessionable stout. The blueberries and coffee make a perfectly balanced stout.

A great beer. So happy to receive this as an extra and will be looking for more.

GehenHerzog, Mar 08, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a heavy cocoa brown head that coated nearly the entire top of my snifter with tiny bubbles, lacing on the edges as it went down.

Aroma of blueberries, sweet chocolate, roasted malt and a slight ashiness

Taste of milk chocolate on top of blueberries , some cocoa and a licorice bite at the end. Well done for a 4.5% brew, and a host of good flavors at this abv. I have brewed a batch similar to this in the past which came out pretty similar. This may have a bit more cocoa and licorice flavors and more an ashy aftertaste than mine however I know my brew was a bit higher in abv so I would have to say this is a job well done. I have not enjoyed a whole lot of stouts at 4.5% more than this one.

Medium mouthfeel and a good carbonation level. Drinkable yes

alpinebryant, Mar 07, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

On tap at Station Taproom, 2/27/11.

A-Deep opaque dark brown with a thin tan head and no lacing.

S-Blueberries, graham crackers, bittersweet chocolate. Excellent.

T-Sweet roasted malt and graham crackers in the front with a nice breadiness and semi-sweet blueberry tanginess.

M-Medium bodied, a bit slick.

D-Excellent. The use of blueberries is perfect, the graham cracker character of the malt really stands out. One of the best 4.5% brews out there.

HV

sholland119, Mar 06, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a black color with no light coming through. There is a two finger dark tan/almost brown head that leaves some lacing.

Smell: Sweet ripe blueberries dominate along with some roast.

Taste: Sweet and roast with the berries more in the background than the smell. There are some dark chocolate notes as well. There is a weird aftertaste that is kind of off putting.

Mouthfeel: Thick for the abv. and a bit grainy. The carbonation is mild.

Drinkability: I really liked this beer other than the after taste. I don't think I'd have more because of it.

oline73, Mar 06, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

A-Pours a surprisingly thick and slimy black with an exceptionally dark head. Head sticks around, but doesn't lace much. No matter, I am very surprised that a %4.5 blueberry flavored beer could ever look this legit.

S-Very present blueberry mixes well with some dark malty goodness. Great mixture of aromas. Not overpowering but delicisously fragrant.

T-Deep chocolate infused with fresh blueberries. Like a chocolate blueberry muffin. Very distinct taste but not too overbearing in any area. Quite delicious. Better than expected.

M-Medium bodied. Well carbonated. A touch of slickness.

D-I could easily drink this. A perfectly sessionable stout granted you like blueberry.

I was quite impressed by this beer. Wasn't gimimicky, just plain good. Surprised by the amount of flavor in a stout comparable to Guinness in terms of alcohol content. Great beer.

VelvetExtract, Mar 05, 2011

Poured from tap at TJs in Paoli into a nonic pint glass.

A: A thick black color with maybe just a hint of dark brown. A one finger light brown head sits atop that leaves some ring lacing.

S: Roasted malts with chocolate and of course blueberry. The blueberry is far from overwhelming though. Nice.

T: Again, roasted malt and the chocolate poke through with the blueberry following up and complimenting the chocolate and roasted flavors nicely. A bit of cocoa, caramel sweetness and some slight earth notes leave a creamy but slightly prickly finish. Nice lingering flavor. Nothing offensive here, very easy drinking and very enjoyable.

M: Smooth, creamy, not overly full. No alcohol.

D: Pretty good, but after maybe two of these I would want to move on. Still, those 2 would be real enjoyable.

Overall a real nice stout that is really different, but really good. The low alcohol allows you to just sit back and enjoy it with no worries. This is an excellent stout that I will definitely drink more of. Well done Dark Horse.

Kadonny, Mar 04, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours black with 2 fingers tan head that dissipates slowly. Low carbonation.

N: Blueberry, cocoa and fruity pebbles.

T: Dark chocolate, blueberry pie, roasted malt, burnt sugar and a hint of citrus.

M: Medium bodied, creamy, chalky yet smooth.

D: Very good. Nice combination of flavors and absolutely delicious!

justintcoons, Mar 03, 2011

on tap at irish pol in philly. served in tulip glass.

Pours a lighter black color with some browned tones. A nice layer of tanned head retains well throughout the beer along with some spots of lacing on the glass.

A splash of juicy blueberries alongside chocolate and roasted malts. This is pretty much dominated by the fruit, but the dark scents manage to keep it under control.

Begins with a familiar roasted dark malt flavor before unleashing a wave of blueberry flavor. Fruit and syrup sweetness along with bits of chocolate. Softer tones of caramel and malt towards the finish with a bit more blueberry.

Fuller medium body, decent carbonation, a bit creamy and sticky on the tongue. I was surprised to find out the ABV on this beer after I had it, especially since the body was still full enough to hold the beer together. I was expecting the blueberries to wreck the flavor, but the chocolate and malt played nicely with this.

xnicknj, Mar 02, 2011

12oz 2010 bottle poured into snifter on 1/18/2011.
I've been waiting to try this offering from Dark Horse for quite some time. I spaced out last year and missed it all. Anyways...
It pours black with dark brown edges. Thick and creamy head of decent height. The color of this topper is unique as it is brown- but has this interesting blue tint to it. The promised blueberry is present in the nose but blended well with notes of bitter chocolate, roasted malt, and a dab of caramel. This definitely has all the flavor of a good American stout. The bitter chocolate and roasted malt is in there, mixed with a shot of coffee and a dab of blueberry. The blueberry takes a backseat in this stout which is nice. I'm not sure of the IBUs but there is a moderate hop presence but hardly noticeable. Medium/full body and the medium carbonation play perfectly in the mouth. Very, very tasty and low ABVs make this very, very drinkable. Seek this out while its available- I am getting more immediately.

gnemesis, Mar 01, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -5%

Picked up this beer on a random purchase during a trading haul.

Pours a nice black with medium head. About 1 1/2 fingers of coffee brown head. Pours nice enough that the girlfriend was like "What is that Oil".

Smells of lots of... Yep blueberries. I love the smell of this beer it is very different and exceptional.

Taste is not as great though. I was expecting more blueberry. It came out tasting like a weaker version of Plead the 5th.

Mouthfeel is good and sticks good but I feel like I am waiting for the beer to do something new as I think about the palette.

Drinkability is moderate as I can't see a lot of faults with this beer but also no stand out characteristics other then smell.

UMNbeerhunter, Feb 28, 2011
3.98/5  rDev 0%

Poured pitch black.

At first, I smelled blueberry, but then I definitely smelled chocolate/coffee/toffee, and maybe licorice.

First impression was really good. Blueberry, coffee, kind of like Dark Horse Too Cream Stout with a tint of blueberry. However, the 1st taste was better than the 2nd. After the 1st sip, I stopped tasting the blueberry. It also seemed to be a little more bitter than I usually like.

The body is nice, but doesn't last long.

The beer is pretty unique. It seems to be different each sip. I'm rather impressed at the complexity. Just wish it didn't have the bitter ending.

I could drink this all night, don't get me wrong. But it definitely wasn't near the top of my favorites.

righthereisay, Feb 26, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours jet black with a chocolate brown head. In the aroma, hints of sweet blueberry and roasty sweet oatmeal. In the taste, sweet roasty oatmeal, with just a hint of blueberry. A small hop bite, and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry sweet oatmeal in the aftertaste. Small blueberry notes, but more oatmeal stout like, but quite nice.

OWSLEY069, Feb 26, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +3%

A= Jet black pour, tannish head no lacing.

S= Roasted malts, I do pick up on some sort of blueberry in this stout. Very inviting beer.

T= I really like the taste in this beer nice roasted malts, hint of bluberry. Nice finish on this beer really enjoyable.

M= Right amount of carbonation, Nice clean finish.

D= Drinkability I rated higher because decent price,Low ABV and the Taste is really good.

LiquidBread219, Feb 25, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle I found in my refrigerator -- no date on the bottle but likely about a year old. Poured into a tulip type glass.

A: Dark, rich jet black color. Even the head is very dark brown and thick looking.

S: A nice aroma of blueberries pops out as soon as you open the bottle. A more direct smell notices cocoa and chocolate flavors as well.

T: Definitely some dried blueberry flavor, but it's in the background and not overwhelming. As the blueberries fade, it's replaced by a lingering dried cocoa taste, charcoal and some molasses flavors.

M: Medium bodied, with a creamy milky mouthfeel to it.

D: I'd classify this a well-done gimmicky type beer. It's something you want to try and enjoy once, but not something I'd want more than once in a while. Strange, but when thinking of a food pairing, I keep thinking this beer would work great for breakfast with a plate of blueberry pancakes.

chaz01, Feb 25, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -5%

Pours a black color with huge dark chocolate head that holds for quite a while. It looks as appealing as any beer I've seen. The smell is strongly of roasted malt, with slight hint of chocolate and blueberries. The taste is fruity, but not of blueberry. The "stout" in this beer still shines through more than anything else but it's unlike any other tried. Moderate bitterness in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is creamy from the rich head that is still persisting. Drinkability is good. This is a solid stout and a unique beer. It's not one I'd pound all night long but good work by Dark Horse here.

Blanco, Feb 25, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +8%

12 oz bottle poured into an English style nonic pint glass. This beer just arrived at the store two hours ago and I am pretty excited to try it. There is no bottle date that I can find.

This beer pours about as dark as you can get. No light gets through, even on the edges. There is a very appealing, two and a half finger, dark cocoa foam that hovers steadily before slowly relenting into a creamy mocha topper. I like the look.

S- First impression is definitely sweet and sticky blueberry jam. My woman said it spoke to breakfast cereal with dried blueberries - I could get on that bandwagon too. I love it, not overwhelming, but pleasant to the nose (I guess that is if you like blueberries). Roasted coffee with both sweet and bitter dark chocolate follow. It finishes up with a crisp hopping reminiscent of the fruitier kind, without overstaying its welcome.

T- Gritty coffee, dark chocolate morsels, and bright juicy blueberries taste as if wrapped into tinny carbon bubbles that react in great unison with the tongue, taste buds, and throat. The unique, yet pleasing blueberry flavor is sandwiched between initial coffee and later chocolate, but there are complex interplays throughout.

M- This is one of the best feeling beers (of any style) that I have tried in some time. It is both ideal for the style and it does well to remind one of the important role touch plays in the consuming experience. The beer is related to more than just flavor; it is smell, taste, touch, environment, mind-set, and preconception. I like the touch, and a I like this beer.

Overall the beer is delicious and well worth the 7.99/4pk price tag. I will try to get some more before it is gone for sure. I hope others have as great an experience as me, because I really needed this.
Cheers!
SjG

CMB2012, Feb 24, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

When you first pop the top...." who is baking something sweet " ? comes to mind.
This stout is a fav of mine.
NOT a fruity beer...DON'T THINK THAT
Great appearance .
Great smell.
Great taste...oh this stays with you like a after dinner mint.
Easily two bottles and no more...move on you will "waste the taste"...
I "plead the fifth"

Luganwarrior, Feb 24, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in a cool new 4 pack into a pint glass.

A: Pours a thick, murky black with a dark brown one finger head.
S: Blueberry muffins are the first thing that come to mind, with roasty notes to follow.
T: Similar to the aroma, but much more pronounced. Somehow, the blueberry and roasted notes blend together well with a bit of chocolate to seal the deal.
M: Like every DH stout I've tried so far (the first two), this beer has a smooth creamy mouthfeel.
D: A nice dessert treat, but I don't think I could drink this all night.

stimulus, Feb 22, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance -- Pours a deep dark brown with a voluminus milk chocolate head that soon settles to a slim but solid creamy tan head.

Smell -- Blueberry muffin, dark chocolate, coffee, and roast malt.

Taste -- Roast malt, dark chocolate, fresh blueberries, licorice, molasses, and a hint of vanilla. The blueberry character is fresh and natural tasting. Lingering flavors of blueberries and roast malt.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with medium fluffy carbonation. Normally I don't care for this in a stout, but this works.

Drinkability -- Surprisingly good. The blueberry character is really fresh and natural. Actually, I really like this, possibly more than One and Too. I don't know if I would drink this regularly, but this is one of the best fruit-flavored stouts I've ever had.

yeahnatenelson, Feb 22, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into a tulip.

Great black color With nice tan head. The lacing is decent around the glass. Tres blueberry = very blueberry in the nose that accompanies the roasted malts nicely and hints of chocolate come through the nose also. Taste is chocolate and blueberry mixture with a little hop bitterness on the back end, but very faint. Medium to full bodied. Decent drinkability.

Overall I like how Dark Horse worked the blueberry into this one.

Buddha22, Feb 21, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

I poured this 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. No date on the bottle.

This beer purs very dark, with a big old head that sticks around for a while. Blueberries are very prominent in the smell, along with the more bitter roast and malt smells.

This is one crazy tasting beer. I think there is a time and a place for this one, I wouldn't want to drink it all the time, but I think it is a very successful combination of one my favorite fruits with beer. The blueberries are surprising, despite the smell. The bitter flavor offsets the sweet and sour blueberries wonderfully. This beer is full and heavy in the mouth, with moderate carbonation. I really think this one is delicious. I did not expect to like this beer as much as I do.

hwy61mb, Feb 21, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Serving: 12oz bottle into Duvel Tulip
Generous Extra from BA

A: Good looking beer. Dark and thick looking with a dark tan head. When held to the light, you see the faintest rim of mohogany aroudnd edges.

S: Blueberry, blueberry and blueberry. I don't get much of the dark malts on the nose but wish I did to balance out the sweetness of the blueberries. Closing my eyes, I'm picturing delicous blueberry muffins.

T: Much more well balanced than the nose. The blueberries are still present but are counter balanced with roasty malts.

M: Well balanced carbonation. Not too thick or coating. Not a long, lingering finish but you are left with a faint blueberry taste after each sip.

D: Fairly drinkable but the sweetness of the blueberry drops the drinkability a little.

Double06, Feb 21, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -41%

12oz bottle poured into snifter; thanks to Jesse13713 for this one!

A: Pours a dark brown/black with a finger of brown foamy head, which dissipates moderately quickly without leaving lacing. Really amazed at how dark this given the low ABV; I would have expected something approaching double digits before checking on here, just from the appearance.

S: Lots of blueberry aroma here, tons of roasted chocolate, almost charred malts, with accents of wood, smoke, and vanilla. As the beer approaches room temperature it smells almost like blueberry juice.

T: Again, roasted chocolate malts provide the backbone for taste, at least in the front of the sip. Blueberry dominates the middle- not sure if I can pick anything else up beyond a bit of chocolate, and blueberry lingers for quite a while on the finish. At warmer temperatures the blueberry gains a tangy, almost bitter quality, which knocks taste down a bit.

M: Much like appearance, this is very good for a 4.5% stout. Medium-bodied and very smooth, with light carbonation and a bit of a stickiness left over on the finish.

D: A mostly hit or miss beer across its individual categories, the blueberry intensity here (without a great flavor to back it up) was just too much for this one to go down easily at all.

AwYeh, Feb 21, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

A - WOW what a body! Especially for 4.5 percent! Pours a thick dark stout with an impressive inch of dark mocha head. How do you do it guys?

S - Smell from the bottle is straight up blueberry, almost candy like. In the glass roast and chocolate make itself well know.

T - Impressive amount of roast in the flavor. Almost too much at first but as it warms more chocolate and coffee flavors make itself know. Blueberry is hard to detect maybe a slight tart in the end finish but kind of covered on top of all this hardcore stout roast! Man O man!

M - Even for 4.5% it still has a rather medium body really more heavy than expected for a fruit beer.

D - Was impressed by how creamy and roasty this beer was but really expected more fruit flavor. Still if your looking for a "flavored" stout this one is perfect. Harsh yet mildly sweet with subdued fruit flavor. Awesome.

DrDemento456, Feb 19, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Pitch black with initial thick purplish-tan head, leaving a thin line behind.

Smell: Dry roasted malts with chocolate, licorice, molasses and coffee. Just a titch of blueberry in the aroma.

Taste: Wow, what a great mix of flavors. Starts off with mostly dried out roasted malts of chocolate, molasses and licorice. Then ends with an odd but delicious & enticing mix of bitter coffee and sweet & tart blueberry. The blueberry becomes a lot more noticeable as it warms.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, pretty creamy body, semi-dry finish.

Drinkability: Never would have guessed that blueberry and a stout would go so well together. Just fantastic.

bsp77, Feb 18, 2011