Dark Horse Fore Smoked Stout - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Smoked Beer |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-13-2002

January
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 997 | Reviews: 425
3.96/5  rDev +1%

Drank from snifter at restaurant

A- this stout is pitch black with a decent light brown head that quickly subsides. Not much lacing. It has an effervescent quality.

S- much more subdued than I would have imagined smoke is there but in low quantities. Im getting some roasted coffee and leathery scents. Kind of reminds of a tobacco shop

T- this is a nice tasting beer. Very drinkable. I was looking for a smokey experience but anticipating that it would be tough to drink. I was wrong. Smoke is in the taste with a slightly bitter finish.

M- This is drinking a bit thin. Getting a decent amount of carbonation.

O- I liked it. Really easy to drink. Lacks the complexity I had hoped for but I would gladly drink this one again.

3.61/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours black with almost two fingers of thick head that is dark tan to brown. A layer of head remains as I drink.

Smell: The smell is very mild. I'm picking up some roast and sweet dark chocolate notes. Perhaps a little caramel or toffee.

Taste: Bitter roast and smoke dominate this beer. There are some dark chocolate notes in there as well. I might be imagining it, but I'm picking up a slight sour sweetness that reminds me of a milk stout. The finish is quite bitter from the roast.

Mouthfeel: On the thicker side of medium, this beer has a very creamy feel to it. A nice amount of smooth carbonation, this beer covers your whole mouth. Mildly slick finish.

Overall: I would have liked a little more sweetness to balance out the smoke. A good beer and I would have another given the chance.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz bottle served in a standard shaker pint.

pours an velvety, opaque jet black with a 3/4" mocha toned head that dissipates with haste into a thin cap, collar around the glass; lacing in spots.

nose is good. fairly bold with primary notes being of chocolate and roasted malt. a little smoke but more subdued on that count.

flavor largely follows the nose with the chocolate / roasted malt presence being front and center. the main difference is the smoke, which is much, much more dicernible in the taste. not blowing me away, but very tasty.

medium-light bodied and a little thin, with average carbonation.

overall this is a nice smoked beer. wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out, necessarily, but i would be more than open to a future revisit.

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

12oz bottle poured into snifter

Pours a deep black color with a one finger high layer of browned head. Retains nicely with a nearly solid layer of film resting on top, leaving a few spots of lacing on the glass.

A tuft of smoke initially, but fairly light. Followed with some chocolate sweetness, roasted malts, suggestions of licorice with dark fruit.

Slight hop bitterness up front, coupled with the smoky peat which flows through the beer. Some licorice and dates, followed by a bit of chocolate and faint coffee. Plenty of roasty warm malt body. Finishes with some light smoke and dry hops.

Thinner medium body, decent carbonation, a bit dry, somewhat watery for my tastes. This was okay but I thought the smoke was too light and the body too thin.

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my boy JM03 for the hookup! Thanks John! (and Naptown25rs for the second to enjoy!)

This pours exceptionally. Pitch black, really thick looking. Head was about 2 fingers, dark mocha colored and fluffy.

Aroma was nice. The smoke isn't overpowering, leaving the really roasty notes shine through. There's plenty of chocolate in there too.

Taste was bittersweet chocolate, a hint of coffee, smoke and char, roasted malts and a bittersweet finish.

The feel is good. Nice and creamy, clean, smooth, with nice low carbonation. Body is upper medium.

Drinkability is good. It's not too smoky, nice and robust and east drinking. Glad I've got another! (Thanks Josh!)

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Fore

Appears dark as night, small mocha brown head. Aroma of heavily roasted malts, some smoke and a mild chocolate note. Tastes of bitter coffee and roasted malts. As it warms, some beefy meaty notes emerge. A little char, faint dry cocoa. Full bodied, a little syrupy but carbonation is good. Overall, another tasty Dark Horse stout. Good stuff.

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours black as night with a finger and a half of mocha colored foam. Smells like epic mealtime son. Burnt roast char and chocolate meat. For the haters it tastes like Char and chocolate malt with smoke flavor added. Feels like I'm chewing it down. A liquid supper. Beautiful. This beer isn't my style but I like it.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to Bay01 for sending me this one!

Pours a pitch black with a 1 inch dark tan head that fades to a thin cap. No lacing whatsoever. Smells of smoked malt, dark chocolate, and slight coffee beans. Tastes of the smoked malt first and foremost, followed by a subdued chocolate and ground coffee bean taste. There is a campfire/smoke aftertaste on this beer, which I am really liking. Higher level of carbonation with a medium body. Overall, this is a good stout with a very nice smoked quality that I really enjoyed.

4.26/5  rDev +8.7%

Served in a pint glass

This beer pours a motor oil black. It may be categorized here as a Smoked beer, but this has the rich sexy dark brown foam and black body of an amazing stout. The aromatics are mostly roasted coffee and some peat and wood smoke. The flavor is a pretty damn good mixture of chocolate malt, roasted malt, oatmeal, and some smoked malts. The great thing about this beer is there is enough smoked malts that they are prominent in the flavor of the stout without going into a dominant role. It drinks pretty darn smooth, it's a thick beer to take down and it'll fill you up right. Overall this is a good beer and I'm disappointed that it doesn't get more love.

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

A - one of the darkest pours I've ever seen. Yields an impenetrably black body and a massive dense brown head. I am reviewing this as a smoky stout rather than a smoked beer, and this is a great looking stout.

S - Smoked meats, rawhide, some less apparent dark notes

T - Sweet roasted malts, toffee on the finish, A dry smokiness throughout, but sort more as a background effect. An interesting balance from the nose to the taste.

M - Nice and smooth, good thickness. This is a good feeling beer.

O (D) - A good, dry stout. Its not as smoky in the taste as I'd expected, but its certainly there. I will call this decent.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours dark, not very thick, decent head... looks like a standard stout. Smell is roasty, some chocolate, maybe a little bit of smoke but i was hoping for more. Tastes roasty, some bitter chocolate, and a slight smokiness... more like a smokey coffee than the smoked meat taste that I would associate with the serious smoked beers. Overall this is a tasty stout that I would gladly drink again for the price, but it could have been better for my tastes.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Founder's snifter

Pours pitch black with a raisin brown head. The head is thin and leaves a ring of film around the glass. Has a roasty appearance. Not too much lacing.

Smells predominately of roasted malts with a bitter coffee finish. Has a light smoky presence that by no means dominates the aroma. Instead, it enhances and compliments the roasted malt and coffee.

Tastes just like is smells. Dark roasted malts followed by a bitter coffee finish. The smokiness comes through subtly and is very pleasant. Not much hop presence.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. It's very soft on the palate. Has a medium body thats backed up by moderate carbonation.

Overall, this is a delicious smoked stout that is not overpowered by the smoke. It strictly serves as a compliment to the other flavors and aromas which is rare in a smoked beer. It's smooth and goes down easy. This is definitely worth seeking out...even for those who are not crazy about smoked beers.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured on tap into a snifter glass at Birch & Barley/Churchkey.

First notice is an extremely dark brown head off the pour, just dark powdered cococa like. Body is a classic dark walnut brown/black but some visible carbonation can be seen. Head falls easily and leaves a simple collar. Real good looking here.

Complex nose. First is a whiff of cheap coffee, and roast malt. Mild roast character turns to charred carbon. I get lots of "char" like sensation from this, and there is just a hint of beechwood like smoke behind this and bacon. Real cool.

Taste is initially light bodied and a tad wet, but gives way to light roast malt and cheap store bagged coffee. Faint anisette character on the finish, but leaves a muted malt backbone as well.

Overall pretty solid, it's the nose on this that I enjoy the most quite complex and fascinating.

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

I got a four pack of Dark Horse Fore Smoked Stout for $9.99 at The Lager Mill last week. So far I have been a big fan of Dark Horse's Stout series, so when I saw one that I hadn't had yet I knew I should give it a try. As usual with Dark Horse there is no bottling date but I know it's a 2011 vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label on this beer is nice and follows the trend of the other beers in the stout series. It poured a dark pitch black color that didn't let any light come through. It had three fingers worth of fluffy and bubbly mocha colored head, one of the darker colored heads I have encountered. It died down to a thick layer that stayed the rest of the time.

S- I pick up lots of dark, heavily roasted malts that impart a good amount of coffee and dark chocolate aromas. It smells semi sweet and very roasty, I was expecting to get some nice smoke aromas from this beer but it comes off very faint, if I didn't know better I would assume this was a regular American Stout.

T- The roasted malts dominate this brew, there were heavily roasted and imparts lots of coffee, bitter sweet dark chocolate, molasses, and some vanilla that makes for an almost espresso like taste. The smoke starts to show up a little more once it warms up but all in all it is still pretty faint and not as smoky as I was expecting, I see why it is classified as an American Stout instead of a Smoked Beer. The finish is slightly bitter and leaves me with a roasty burnt aftertaste and the alcohol was barely noticeable in this beer.

M- Creamy and Medium bodied, it was a little thinner then I would like but that didn't hurt it too much. The carbonation was on this beer was descent.

Overall I thought this was a good beer, it didn't wow me like the other stouts from the series but it was still a good solid American Stout. I liked most things about this beer but I wish it was a little thicker and I wish it had more smoke to it, other then that it was pretty solid. I can see myself getting another four pack when it is released next year but I am not going to go out of my way to track one down. If you are looking for a good smoked beer you will probably pretty disappointed with Fore, but if you want a good robust slightly smoky American Stout then this beer will fit the bill. I'm glad I knocked out another stout from the series, all I have left to try is One Oatmeal Stout and Plead The Fifth. Dark Horse makes some solid stouts thats for sure.

4.43/5  rDev +13%

The final of the four seasonal offerings. I have yet to find One oatmeal, maybe next year but I do love a smoked beer! Got this at D's six packs for under 3 bucks.

A - Man every time I pour a dark horse stout it reminds me of the words "thick" and "viscous" really are. Pitch black and thick as it glugs into my glass. Surprisingly I only got a half inch of dark tan head. No problem since this beer is almost 4 months old.
S - I get more coffee and chocolate notes than I was expecting. Really hoping the smoke compliments the coffee in this. Does smell pretty roasty.
T - A moderate level of smoke, sort of ashy but balanced that kind of tastes like toasted coffee beans since that is the next flavor of roast. Travels to a more sweet note of dark chocolate and finishes sweet with a nice malty sweetness. No real bitter hops but didn't expect it. The smoke flavor is pretty constant starting off every sip so it's no one trick "pony" Very balanced.
M - Not sure the abv but it drinks with a medium body. I would say between 7 and 8 percent. Fantastic!

Overall right now I am kicking myself since I didn't grab an extra bottle or two of this! Another great offering and I am loving there beers more and more. Definitely can't wait to see what beer hits my D's six packs next since it's the only place in town carrying these fantastic beers. Smokey good Dark Horse Team!

3.67/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to champ103 for hooking this one up in a trade.

A - Poured a black color with a brown head that quickly fades to a ring

S - Is of roasted malt that gives off some sweetness and a decent bit of smoke

T - Pretty good a good bit of smoke upfront then the roasted malt comes out with some chocolate flavor

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

O - I'm liking this beer theres just enough smoke in it to keep me happy sure I'd like more smoke but its getting the job done in the flavor department making it worthy to pick up if you find it around

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Deep dark brown color where no light shines through. The head is light tan, dark for even a stout. Interestingly, There is no lace.

Deeply earthly with a sense of nuttiness. Most reminiscent of a mocha milkshake--lightly sweet with a touch of coffee and cream.

Harsher than the smell indicates, strong black patent component. Very close to an Irish stout in terms of the dryness. I do not detect any smokiness. The body is on the thinnish side; the carbonation above average. The aftertaste is bitter in a burnt sense.

3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured into my Schell's shaker pint, Fore is a ruddy brown with a tan head that leaves very light lace.

Smell is all dark malt, some chocolate.

Taste is OK, it's got some chocolate, not overly smokey, but too much sweetness, marshmallow.

Mouthfeel is semi-dry, medium bodied.

Drinkability is okay, a chocolatey stout, but lacking the smoke I expected by the name - average.

4.16/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz bottle

The beer pours pretty much strait black with a small dark brown head that was present for only a moment. The appearance was more of a soda than a beer. Thank goodness for some lacing to help this out.

The nose brings some rich smokey malts in abundance.

Another wonderful stout from Dark Horse. The flavor is dominated by the sweet smokey malts. Coffee is also detected, but less noticeable.

The beer is a little on the thin side, although not a complete loss.

Overall this is another solid brew from Dark Hose.

12oz bottle into a Snifter glass

Served at Fridge Temperature

A- Pours a nice solid black with a small amount of dark brown in the light. Not much head at all other than a nice brown rim around the glass.

S- Up front is really nice smoke and roasted burnt coffee with an almost sweet bacon like aroma. Some chocolate in there as well.

T- Creamy roasted malts with bitter unsweetened dark chocolate. Not as much smoke as the aroma unfortunately, gets lost in the creamy coffee and chocolate flavors but definitely adds a nice extra element to the beer.

M- Creamy heavier body with moderate carbonation and a nice bittersweet finish.

SkÅL!

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

12 fl oz brown bottle, served in a nonic.

Syrupy, opaque deep brown in color. The carbonation-filled, coffee colored head is pleasant, but short-lived. No lasting traces of lace.

Bitter chocolate with rough, roasted coffee beans. The smokey character is moss-like and works well with the roasted coffee and earthen aromas.

The peat smoked malt character is present immediately and mingles with a slightly weak roasted espresso quality. At mid-sip is a burst of rough, piney hops. Along with a bit of over-carbonation, the hops hijack the deep, roasted flavors. A dry finish is followed by a return of the smokey flavors.

Full bodied; dry on the palate along with a stiffness caused by the intense carbonation and hop character. The mouthfeel is rather deceiving given how syrupy this stout pours.

A pretty tasty stout that stands out compared to other American stouts. Some flaws, mainly texturally, but a decent offering. Certainly a nice introduction to Dark Horse.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a thick almost motor oil black with about a finger of light mocha head that settles down to a thin layer in a few minutes.

Smell: Sweet chocolate and roasted smoky malt mixed with some coffee. The smoked aspect of this isn't as strong as I was hoping for.

Taste: Bitter dark chocolate, deep roasted malt malts and bold coffee. Smokiness shows up in the aftertaste and is not overpowering at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied and has a nice creaminess to it.

Overall: Really decent beer from Dark Horse. These guys are making some decent stouts and this is no exception. Looking forward to trying the remainder of the series of 5.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Near pitch black with thin brown head. No lacing.

Smell: Molasses, licorice and chocolate. Fairly sweet and only the slightest hint of smoke.

Taste: Not as sweet as the aroma, with chocolate, coffee, molasses and licorice. Turns a little bitter at the finish with char and harsh roasted notes.

Feel: Moderate carbonation with a medium to full body. Quite dry but a little chalky and not as smooth as the best Stouts.

Overall: Very good Stout overall. The charred notes add a nice layer of complexity to what would have otherwise been a fairly straightforward Stout.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle sent by badnewsbeers into a tulip. Thanks to a bit of foresight, I checked the brewery website to find out that Fore’s the fourth in a series of five stouts “produced to help ease you through the cold and grey midwestern winters” and is made with peated malt. There’s smoke in the forecast.

It looks very similar to the other stouts in the series: thick, oil black from bottle to glass and topped with a short-lived head of cinnamon bubbles. Its darkness fills me with a sense of foreboding. A thick, creamy ring remains after the head subsides.

Fantastic smoky nose. Hints of tobacco emerge amidst heavier aromas of caramelized pork and campfire smoke. Sweet cocoa keeps things from getting too sooty. A foreshadowing of things to come?

The malts in the flavor seem more burnt than smoked, exhibiting a charcoal blackness. Hints of dark chocolate pop up, as does a noticeable earthy hoppiness.

The body’s a soft, creamy medium with the lightest hush of carbonation. The bitterness of the roasted malts is nice, and the alcohol (which Dark Horse neglected to put on the label) is hidden rather well.

Overall, Fore’s not a bad smoked stout — but it’s also not something I’d go out of my way again to procure. I’ll forego the effort for something better and closer to home.

...fore.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pitch black, just like the others in the seires. The pour dropped a thick finger and a half of mocha head that faded and left some spotty lace.

A: At first I get the roasted malts, followed by the smoke, and then the bittersweet ending. From the name, I thought the smoke would be in the forefront, but it wasn't. It was just a nice added addition to the already roasted malts.

T: The sweet and roasted malts dominate, but the smoke flavor is a nice departure. It is not a smoke bomb, just a nice subtle touch that lets you know it's there. Some chocolate, vanilla, woody notes are also present. It finishes slightly sweet and dry.

M: I don't think this is too high in the ABV department, which makes the mouthfeel even more impressive. Creamy and thick, full body.

O: I was pretty impressed with this. I usually don't go for the smoke brews, but I might have to reconsider after this. Dark Horse is doing some really good things with their stouts. Skal.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dark Horse Fore Smoked Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company