Dark Horse Artic Dekoorc Eert - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Artic Dekoorc EertDark Horse Artic Dekoorc Eert

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: warnerry on 08-11-2012)

prender1482, May 10, 2013

HopsMatt, May 10, 2013
3.81/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

I'll be noting only the hop character for this review unless something sticks out. See my Crooked Tree review to know more of what I think about the beer.

S= The smell is a nice big sort of dirty citrus smell to it. It's not the typical citrus bomb most citra hops are. This seems to have a little dirtier smell if that makes sense.

T= The taste is really big in the dirty sort of grassy taste up front before the finish which is very reminicent of the citrus bombs I'm use to with citra hops. The hopping seems to be a little ligher with this version than the Crooked Tree. I'm guessing lower AA in the citra hops than say the centennials or something early in the boil.

jjanega08, May 10, 2013

jlginder, May 09, 2013

dbc5, May 09, 2013

darksunshaman, May 09, 2013

Bitter_Echo, May 08, 2013

Jason1337, May 08, 2013
4.11/5  rDev +3%

Pours hazy orange with a single finger white head. Smell is very earthy pine, citrus and trpoical fruit, biscuit. Taste follows the nose, lots of tropical fruit, breads, very piney, slightly bitter finish. Texture is as to be expected. Overall this is very good, the cascade version is very enjoyable and I'm glad I got to try it

brewtus, May 08, 2013

dalepryor, May 07, 2013

mdillon86, May 07, 2013

BARFLYB, May 06, 2013
3.95/5  rDev -1%

As a big proponent of the Citra hop, I was very excited to learn that Dark Horse would be including an "all-Citra" version of Crooked Tree in their variety pack. Artic Dekoorc Eert pours basically the same color as its FF and Cascade hop counterparts - a murky and mostly opaque, cloudy amber and copper color with a soapy, thin, big-bubbled, gray-tinted head. No lace, no legging, not much action with the cap.

The first whiff definitely contains some citrus, but not quite like what I was expecting. I was expecting a tropical and citric fruit explosion as I leaned it, but surprisingly enough, I don't even think the citrus was the most prominent portion of the aroma. There were an equal amount of brash leafy and grassy notes; earthy and almost a big dirty. It's not bad at all, but it's it's not at all what I was expecting.

Don't mistake me; there is definitely a helping of the citric character to be found - mild grapefruit peel, very light tangerine and pineapple - it's just met equally as strong by the hop forestry that's taking place next to it. The malt gives off the same caramel tinted vibe as in the FF and Cascade variants, but the hop bill in this one is a bit more pungent and robust, toning down and slashing through the malt's sweetness just a bit more. This one smells like a doozy already.

I take a sip and my taste buds are met with a mouthful of bitter citrus pith, juicy grapefruit centers, orange peels, and a more-than-secondary helping of white pepper and ash-like spiciness. The hops evolve on the palate and unleash a big-time pine needle characteristic, slightly oily and resinous as you may expect. All the while, a menacing bout of bitter citrus peels are tingling the corners of your mouth.

The malt is definitely more-soft spoken in Artic than in both FF and Edacsac - again, I believe this is due to the presence that this all-Citra hop bill has on your palate as compared to the other two. If I'm not mistaken, the malts did not change for any of these variants (feel free to correct me if I am misinformed). The aftertaste is slightly spicy with a citrusy and resin-filled bitterness. Medium-ish bodied with lower than expected carbonation; oily and slick mouth feel.

When I heard about the Dark Horse 12-pack with Citra, FF, and Cascade variants of Crooked Tree, I figured that Citra would be my favorite. And I was right. But, I think I still may prefer the original Crooked Tree over the all-Citra version. Artic Dekoorc Eert was definitely a good beer, but it wasn't exactly like I was expecting. It didn't blow me away like many other Citra-style beers have. Just goes to show you that you can't just throw in an all-Citra hop bill and end up with a masterpiece. While Artic is definitely tasty, it might be one of my least favorite Citra-centric beers to date.

tectactoe, May 06, 2013

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

MSandahl23, May 04, 2013

KWMiles, May 04, 2013
3.8/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

idk about this... these 3 beers were too close to notice major differences which probally shouldn't surprise me but i was ecpection more of a different between the 3 and the normal crooked tree...maybe i shoudn't have drank all 4 in one night, but i did try to clean my palate as much as i could in between all of them.
appearence: the same of course
smell: hoppy and slightly sweet some cirus mixed with earthyness, no soapiness.
mouthfeel: not as carbonated as "FF" but just as much as cascade.
taste: similar to all the others... happy in a way the crooked tree is the best of these all in my opinion since this is a beer available all the time. this one thoe is my fav of the other three, not by much thoe, not by as much as i was expectin. oh well still good fun to try and interesting none the less.

Beerlover, May 04, 2013