FF Dekoorc Eert - Dark Horse Brewing Company

FF Dekoorc EertFF Dekoorc Eert

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: brewtus on 04-27-2013)
3.64/5  rDev -3.7%

SnatchyMcPants, Oct 08, 2014
3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

diehlio, Oct 06, 2014
3.44/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Dark Horse's FF Dekoorc Eert last week for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. This is the last of the three different single hopped versions of Crooked Tree that I picked, I'm interested to see how this one stacks up, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks weird, I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a murky brunt orange color that didn't change when held to the light and it had a little over two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of sticky lacing behind. This was a decent looking beer, but I wasn't a big fan of the color.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a mixture of citrus rind and floral hop aromas with just a little bit of piney aromas coming through in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a bready, lightly grainy and sweet malt like aroma with just a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, it was true to style and hop profile was nice.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time the piney and floral hops seem to stick out the most with the citrus rind flavors showing up in the background and the hop profile as a whole is lighter than it was in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which seemed to stick out a little more than they did in the aroma with the grainy and bready malts sticking out the most. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with a slightly hoppy, bready and pretty grainy aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, but i wish the hop profile stuck out a little more and was more like it was in the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, dry on the finish, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, it was very true to style and the hop profile wasn't bad, but I didn't think the hops came out as bright as I would like them to be when it came to the aroma it made this beer a little above the middle as far as the style goes. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, but I think after awhile I would start to get bored with it, so I think one or maybe two would be my limit. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was nice and pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't horrible, but the color wasn't that good. I don't think I would buy this beer on it's own, but I wouldn't turn one down. I can't say I would recommend this as one of the better IPA's, but it's worth a try, especially if your interested in Falconers Flight hops. All in all I liked this beer, but I wasn't impressed by it, the hop profile wasn't bad, but in the end it just wasn't that bright and I found myself wanting more from it. This isn't my favorite Dark Horse beer or my favorite single hopped IPA, but it's not the worst in any of those categories. So far the Apollo version was my favorite, this came in second and the cascade was third. I like the idea behind these beers, keep up the creative work guys.

StoutHunter, Oct 06, 2014