FF Dekoorc Eert - Dark Horse Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 401 | Reviews: 53
Reviews by jjanega08:
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.25

Commenting on Hop profile only. If your interested in my opinion of the beer and it's characteristics see my Crooked Tree review.

S= The first thing that comes to my mind when smelling the hops in this beer is grassy. Very grassy. It's almost like a fresh cut grass sort of smell to me. Fresh is key in that work because it's not the grassy hops you get like Kent Goldings or something but a fresher smell.

T= The taste is similar but the fresh grass taste is a little muddled by the malt profile. It's not the most bittereing of hops but not overpowering by any means. It's a strange mix I would say of european hops and american hop bitterness.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Got it pretty cheap so it's rather old, but, eh, why not?!
Hazy dark orange, small creamy head that lingers for some time.
There's still some hop on the nose, some grapefruit, faint tropical fruit, but a stronger biscuit and caramel maltiness. A dried up leafy note too.
Grapefruity hops still hold a nice foothold here, a nice bitter-sweet start. Almost lacks the tropical notes, a hint of mango, a bit of tangerine, a nice generically floral honey sweetness too. Really toasted biscuits, a bit grainy too. Light pine resin, but otherwise nice leafy hops with a nice and dry finish, a bit earthy.
Medium body, low carbonation. Malts are a bit too present in the aftertaste, hop bitterness in the back of the throat and some grapefruit peel.
This was probably really good fresh. Still, my grade won't hurt it that much, overall.

3.64/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Chris for this one. Can't say for sure that I've had anything with Falconers Flight hops, so we'll see how this goes. It pours a mostly opaque and cloudy amber color, not too far off from the original Crooked Tree; perhaps it's a shade darker. The very weak and small, gray tinted head is thin and soapy and doesn't leave much lace behind.

I lean in and take a whiff and the aroma is pretty muted at first. The beer really isn't too cold, so that's not the problem. The aroma just isn't popping as well as it could/should. A large amount of herbal and lightly peppery hops jump out. There's a mild, borderline-urine aroma trudging in the background, almost reminding me a bit of Simcoe hops.

Malts are surprisingly noticeable, giving off some sticky caramel notes. The citric and grapefruit characters coming off aren't nearly as strong as I'd hoped for, and I'm not getting them as heavily as many other people on here seem to be. Very mild hop oil and white pepper covered grapefruit, but it's still pretty tame compared to the herbal and leafy hops.

I take a sip and I don't love it at first. It's a bit watered down. It's still has a medium body and feels lightly sticky, but the taste itself is thin. Just like the aroma, herbal hops and white pepper are the first flavors to hit the palate and they carry hard into the aftertaste. Citric characters are once again low compared to everything else. Perhaps my expectations were too high for citrus, but aside from a mild, piney grapefruit peel, there isn't much there.

I'm picking up larger bouts of herbs, leaves, ash, and even a bit of char. The malts add a substantial caramel-like sweetness and some bready notes, although the bitterness beats it out just a bit. Spicy hops and a dry, bitter finish leave me wanting something more from this beer. Carbonation is pretty low, sadly, and doesn't really bode well for the mouth feel.

All in all, this was my least favorite of the three variations of Crooked Tree. That said, it certainly wasn't bad, and it was still highly drinkable, but it just wasn't very exciting and I was expecting a little more from it. Everyone seems to note the high citrus and pine and resin from the FF hops, but I was mostly getting herbs and ash. Falconers Flight hops should do very well as a part of a robust hop bill, but they leave a bit to be desired when they're the only ones being used.

3.81/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Vertical tasting with the other crooked trees. 2nd favorite of the series. Red caramel color while pouring. Citrus smell and malts as well as a bit of oats. Very malty cities flavor as well. Nice smooth finish. Second favorite of the four I tried. Nicely done.

3.99/5  rDev +5.3%

The Falconer’s Flight variation of Crooked Tree pours an orange stained amber color. It’s extremely cloudy or hazy. A little light behind it gives it more of an orange appearance. A soft white head covers the top. It’s modest, rising to less than a finger in height. It dissipates somewhat quickly. Lacing was sticky and moderate in volume. Looks pretty good.

The nose is good. I can’t say I’m all that familiar with Falconer’s Flight hops. They smell really nice though. They definitely impart a strong citric hop scent. Smells like grapefruit, mango and orange throughout. The malt base smells like a mix of caramel and toasted malts. Smells a little bread-like. Fortunately, the caramel doesn’t smell too strong. It smells a little sweet, but not strong. Hops shine through loud and clear. Alcohol is there, but isn’t too strong. Smells good.

The flavor is likewise pretty good. The malt base is definitely a mix of caramel and toasted varieties. It’s not my favorite mix of malts in an American IPA, but the flavors are subtle. Not bad at all. They’re subtle enough to let the hops shine. The hops are definitely citric. Grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and even mango flavors are noted. It’s a nice mix of flavors. It has a light bitter kick, but the malts do a nice job of balancing things out. It falls on the hop side of the fence, but not by a large margin. Alcohol is blended pretty well. Finishes citrusy and a little dry.

The body is on the lighter side of medium. Carbonation is light and soft. It feels really nice and smooth. Goes down nice and easy. I wouldn’t mind having a couple.

The Falconer’s Flight version of Crooked Tree is good stuff. I like it. I don’t quite think it rivals the original, but it is a nice twist. This has a been a nice mix pack so far.

An interesting imperial India pale ale

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours an amber orange in color with a one finger head.

Floral, citrus, hops. Very light for an IPA.

Very slight citrus finishes with a light floral taste. Not a huge fan.

Mouthfeel is dull for an IPA.

Overall, the regular crooked tree is better.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

- unfiltered ipa with falconers flight hop. my first such experience with said hops.

A: Translucent autumn orange coloring with a ravishing display of micro-effervesce that is like its own little storm cell swirling in the vessel. A whipped cream textured head is rock steady and strong with a dull ivory tone to it. Label makes claim of unfilitered nature, to that im not seeing any visible evidence with exception of the haze, no particulate matter, which would of been the icing on the cake for me. Love the extra junk in the glass but overall this was still an outstanding show of head restraint, co2, and a fair amount of chunky lace lashes left behind.

S: Citrus orange and sweetly toasted malt character with a good deal of depth. Grassiness and a slight tropical fruit mention.

T: The hops are brightly spoken for, fresh, wet and juicy, while the finish provides a gentle hop dryn. There is a lemony-twang of grassiness, with the lemon being wet, the grassiness being dry. Citra hops come to play.

M: Strong tingly sensations of carbonation dances off the tongue with a luscious creamy maltiness of medium body.

O: Overall i rate per BA standards of outstanding being a 4.0 and i feel this meets my criteria in almost all catergories with exception of aroma being marginally off. Visually its everything you can ask for ( with exception of my personal favorite floaties), it has a good malt character and crisp carbonation factor as well. It has a very good complexity, even more so when you consider its a single hop variety (yes i am aware it is a blend) but it maintains the high citra quality and tropical fruitiness as well west coast attributes of grassiness and citrus notes. Its clean, crisp, smooth in flavor and highly worthy of multiples. Its flavorful, that is the hops are utilized during the late boil, and is not just dry hopped and bitter 60 minute boils like most of the other zombie ipas out there that just focus on bitterness and not flavor. Abv% feels perfect here, is not hindering even at 6.5%. If you check my average dev. you see i tend to rate most beers, if not ipa's a bit lower then the masses, with so many choices i feel to many are homongenous and dont stand out and focus only on bitter quality and quirky names. Underated imho.

Bottle purchased from Nathaniel Square Corner Store in Rochester, NY. Single hopped with Falconer's Flight. This one was an improvement upon the original Crooked Tree, in my opinion

Pours a very dark orange, with a 1/2 inch head, and large sheets of lacing.

Smells like grapefruit, resin, pine, and some bready malt.

The taste is similar. This one is much drier than regular Crooked Tree, with a mild amount of lingering pine and resinous bitterness. Some grapefruit and mango flavors, bready malt, lemon peel, and pine sol.

Medium bodied, due to the stronger malt backbone that Crooked Tree sports. Slightly creamy, but finishes bone-dry. Very drinkable.

This one was really nice, I think this might be my first experience with Falconer's Flight hops, and I really like them.

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a pint glass

L - It is orange with golden highlights and cloudy. It it capped with an inch of white head.

S - I get citrus. Orange seems to be most noticeable with some pine.

T - The tastes has orange, alcohol, and pine.

F - Medium

O - It is always interesting to try a single hop beer to gain an understanding in the more complex IPA's.

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Consumed 5/29/13

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for giving me this beer

Appearance: Hazy, lightly cloudy copper, with some orange and gold highlights - small, off-white head, retains a small cap, leaves some streaks of lacing

Smell: Mild, fruity hops and the typical (typically good) Crooked Tree malt profile - the hop profile is pretty strange, but I guess that might be because I've never had any experience with Falconer's Flight hops - citrus, lemon, and onion, not particularly aggressive - caramel and pale malts, with some grainy sweetness

Taste: Remarkably strange - oily grapefruit and orange rinds, with some bitter lemon zest, and something sharp like an onion - a number of herbal, floral, and earthy notes - not particularly good, honestly - decent malts, pale and caramel - light sweetness, with an earthiness that combines with the hops

Mouthfeel: Medium body, low carbonation, some residual stickiness

Overall: FF? This is not my favorite iteration of Final Fantasy

This isn't bad, but I think it's the weakest of the single hop Crooked Tree variations. Falconer's Flight seems like it has some potential, but apparently not as the lone hop variety. Meh.

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present. Acquired as part of the Dark Horse Crooked Tree variety pack. My fourth and final beer to review from that assortment.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of fluffy white head on top of the same familiar orange body. Bubbles slowly streaming upwards; lots of sediment suspended in the glass. Some pretty nice scattered lacing.

S - Grapefruit. Tangerine. Blood orange. Citric. White bready malts. Mildly earthy. Some twig like smell. A more tame smell than the others, I'd say.

T - Sweet, tangy blood orange juiciness, and bitter grapefruit hops. Mildly earthy, again.

M - Feel is sweet, bitter, dry.

Overall, a nice way to showcase the falconers flight hops, and the differences with the other hop varieties. None of them really deviate too far from one another, and that stands true with this beer as well. An excellent IPA, and in my opinion they should start making all three of these new variations year-round.

Dark Horse FF Dekoorc Eert - 4/5.

4.21/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Part of the crooked tree single hop variety pack. Unfiltered and hopped with falconers flight hops.
A- poured hazy orange with a two finger white head, laces very well
S- smell of sweet hops, habiscus, bready, pine.
T- biscott, pine, slightly sweet, floral earthy hop profile, some peach, some hibiscus, green tea, not much malt flavor going on. Texture is as expected for the style.
O- this was very enjoyable, not very juicy, not too bitter, just very drinkable. The hops are very floral and sweet, unique.

3.44/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Dark Horse's FF Dekoorc Eert last week for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. This is the last of the three different single hopped versions of Crooked Tree that I picked, I'm interested to see how this one stacks up, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks weird, I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a murky brunt orange color that didn't change when held to the light and it had a little over two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of sticky lacing behind. This was a decent looking beer, but I wasn't a big fan of the color.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a mixture of citrus rind and floral hop aromas with just a little bit of piney aromas coming through in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a bready, lightly grainy and sweet malt like aroma with just a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, it was true to style and hop profile was nice.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time the piney and floral hops seem to stick out the most with the citrus rind flavors showing up in the background and the hop profile as a whole is lighter than it was in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which seemed to stick out a little more than they did in the aroma with the grainy and bready malts sticking out the most. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with a slightly hoppy, bready and pretty grainy aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, but i wish the hop profile stuck out a little more and was more like it was in the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, dry on the finish, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, it was very true to style and the hop profile wasn't bad, but I didn't think the hops came out as bright as I would like them to be when it came to the aroma it made this beer a little above the middle as far as the style goes. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, but I think after awhile I would start to get bored with it, so I think one or maybe two would be my limit. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was nice and pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't horrible, but the color wasn't that good. I don't think I would buy this beer on it's own, but I wouldn't turn one down. I can't say I would recommend this as one of the better IPA's, but it's worth a try, especially if your interested in Falconers Flight hops. All in all I liked this beer, but I wasn't impressed by it, the hop profile wasn't bad, but in the end it just wasn't that bright and I found myself wanting more from it. This isn't my favorite Dark Horse beer or my favorite single hopped IPA, but it's not the worst in any of those categories. So far the Apollo version was my favorite, this came in second and the cascade was third. I like the idea behind these beers, keep up the creative work guys.

2.26/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured from a bottle, guessing this is about a month old.

Appearance: Very similar to other Crooked Tree/Dekoorc Eert beers. Golden amber, hazy, clearly unfiltered. Head foams out in under a minute.

Smell: Whoa. Very, very vegetal. Burnt toast. Dirty socks. A little unsettling, actually.

Taste: None of the trademark FF flavors- a tiny hint of citrus followed by dirty cotton and old cheese. Not sure how this beer got so funky at 1-2 months old. A very distinct sharp cheddar finish.

Mouthfeel: Same as the other beers in the series. Hard to focus on the mouthfeel with this one, to be honest. Probably the highlight of the beer.

Overall: I feel like I must have gotten a bad bottle. The risks of unpasteurized/unfiltered IPA's mean that you can't guarantee consistency. Because FF is a blend, I suppose that any bad hop in the blend could set off the whole batch.

3.99/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance. Pours a light amber with less than a finger of full head across top. significant frothy lacing. Appealing.

Aroma. Reminds me of the smell of the Ypsilanti Michigan beer festival.

Taste. Smooth hop flavor with a touch of grapefruit or other citrus and a hint of carmel

Mouthfeel. Smooth with a slight bite on the tongue

Overall I give this beer 45 and I would buy it again

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Even though almost 3 months old I get a 1/4 inch of head and a ton of carbonation in the glass beer is a hazy amber brown.
S - Like all the beers from this pack it smells earthy and piney with some swampy malts on top.
T - Somewhat of a swampy hop presence, kind of mild with a bit of earthy pine on the back end in the finish. Somewhat watery with a smooth body.
M - Light to medium, to me it drinks more watery out of all the other 3.

Overall still smooth and easy to drink but it's the least interesting beer from the pack. Even the regular crooked tree is better.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a glowing copper with a small off-white head that leaves decent lacing and retention. The aromas have alot of caramel in the mix with hints of grapefruit and peach. Some sweet fruit notes are present. The flavors are bittersweet. There's a very nice bitterness going on, but the touch of caramel malts gives it balance. I'm picking up alot of grapefruit in the finish. There's also hints of orange zest along with lemon and lime. Some pine needles in the mix. There's a subtle spiciness as well. Alcohol basically goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is fine. It's medium-bodied and thin with active carbonation.

Not blown away, but once again the craftsmanship is impressive. They seemed to nail their intentions. Good, but nothing crazy, in my opinion.

4.21/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On-tap 11/23/2014 at Pour Farm in New Bedford, MA, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a short dense off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains fruity citrus, floral hops and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a strong fruity grapefruit sweetness that is quickly followed by a strong but not over-powering hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and creates a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, this is a very solid IPA to drink for a long time.

4.48/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A great Crooked Tree brewed as a special brew with Falconers Flight hops! A nice cloudy amber colored beer that is not quite cloudy enough where you can still see through it. Smell is a deep dank hop aroma that lasts on the nose. Taste is great - continues with the dankness, hoppyness, and an earthy tone. Mouthfeel is deep, chewy and well represented on the buds! Overall this is a great offering from a great brewery and a great special brew. Happy to see Darkhorse make this Crooked Tree special series. Well done!!

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Man, had to buy a damn 12-pack for this bottle, so I'm excited yet unhappy... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear amber topped by a finger of wan cream foam. The nose comprises pine sap, earthy greens, grapefruit rind, and some blunt and vague toffee in the background. The taste brings in more of the same, though the pine and rind dominate the proceedings. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, this is a solid take on the Crooked Tree formula, but I think I prefer the original over this.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a hazy light orange with a one-finger white head. Heavy amount of sticky lacing.

S - Light aromas of citrus (orange and grapefruit) and toasted malt.

T - Taste follows the nose. Sweet caramel malts and citrus upfront with piney resinous hops showing up in the finish. Nice lingering hop bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very smooth creamy mouthfeel. The finish is dry and sticky.

O - This is another unique take on Crooked Tree and my first experience with the falconers flight hops. Nice amount of sweet malts and citrus with a good hop punch. Definetly worth trying.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

We pour a brew of toasted almond-gold into our Great Lakes pints. It puts up a solid two finger head of creamy, foamy eggshell colored bubbles, showing nice retention. Ghostly patterned lacing is left all around the glass. A thick haze cuts clarity, with waves of sediment swirling around likes schools of fish. Carbonation appears to be lightly moderate. The aroma gives nectary, grassy, and vegetal sweetness of hops, with baker’s yeast, chalk, concord grapes, pale and lightly adjuncty malts, fusel booziness, tannic lemon iced tea, herbal clove, and toasted biscuits. Our first impression is that the flavoring is quite bittered and earthy, but without enough support from a sweeter malt base or added fruitiness. As we sip, the taste opens up with honey, breakfast tea, lemon rind, mango fruitiness, buttery pale malt toast, gravel, slick yeast, tangerine flesh, mild corny adjuncts, and black pepper herbals. The middle comes to a peak with a milder malty wash, with salted pretzels, light wheatiness, black pepper, bitter hop grassiness, dried pine sap, and mineral muddiness. Picking up through the finish is that lemony bite and juiciness, tangy lime, dried grassy hop pellets, more of that same black pepper spiciness, fusel booziness, bittered dry mint leaf, light butters, and toasty pale malts to clean. The aftertaste breathes of graphite, citric and bitterly earthy hops, mineral, chalky sandiness, fusel perfumes, melted plastics, coiny metallics, herbal mosses. The body is lightly medium, and the carbonation is medium. There is okay slurp, smack, cream, froth, and pop. The mouth is cooled and coated with a thin layer of hoppy oils, before melting down into a soft pucker and tannic astringency. There is also some warmth to the back of the throat. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks well.

Overall, what we found to be the best thing about this beer was its appearance. While the initial color was nice, what stood out was the ephemeral patterns of lacing stuck to our glasses, and the head that wouldn’t quit to the last drop. The nose and taste were also pleasant, but not to the degree we were expecting. The aroma was overly mild, with the hops losing punch and freshness. Through the middle of the sip, the flavoring loses that mango and toast thrust from the beginning, becoming a bit watered, loose, and one-dimensional. What is present throughout most of the taste, however, is this bright lemony infusion of juiciness, giving freshness to the buds and pucker to the palate. This one tastes much more similarly to the standard Crooked Tree than the deconstructed citra version, but just isn’t quite as satisfying.

3.91/5  rDev +3.2%

Dark Horse Brewing Company
Crooked Tree Falconers Flight

Appearance: Deep gold and mostly clear. Head forms and leaves plenty of lace down the pint glass. Looks like an unfiltered IPA.

Smell: Citrus, cat pee, grapefruit.

Taste: lightly citrus, some dry herbal notes. Mild wood tones and even bitterness. Earthy, resinous for sure and a bit floral. Medium bodied feel, good medium high carbonation. Solid hop bite.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, well carbonated, crisp and smooth. Hop flavor of earthy resin lingers for a good while

Overall: A unique twist on crooked tree, this is a bit more woodsy and earthy, still with citrus, and comes through quite nicely. Good beer with ample hops.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours with half a finger of crisp white head which regenerated itself while drinking. Active carbonation is right on for the style. Sticky rings of lacing left behind with each drink.

Smell: Crisp pine jumps out right away. Underneath that pine is a potent body of fresh fruits with accents of tangerines, mangos, pineapple, and orange peel. Some grassy hops show up toward the back end. A semi-sweet malt backbone gives a great stage for the hops to shine.

Taste: Warming malts with touches of caramel greet the drinker. Tropical fruits with accents of saturated citrus, mangos, and pineapple. After the front, an unapologetic pine attack hits the palate which lingers on the palate long after drinking.

Mouthfeel: Piney hops are the winner on the palate but some semi-sweet tones provided by the malt profile and brighter hops provide pleasant complexity.

Overall: Another hit from Dark Horse in this single hopped series. Falconer Flight rarely seem to get individual attention so this was a nice experience to get to know them better. This 12pk is worth it.

to view more.