FF Dekoorc Eert - Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: brewtus on 04-27-2013

Ratings: 403 | Reviews: 53
2.08/5  rDev -45.1%

Didn't know what to expect. Hadn't drunk many Crooked Tree beers. My expectations were high at the thought of falconers flight hops. Serious let down in all categories. It started with a cloudy pour...Quickly disappearing foam...Washed out malt aroma...No outstanding taste to differentiate the f.f. hops from all others except for the lingering bitter aftertaste...average mouthfeel...Overall, I wouldn't recommend this. Must be me.

2.26/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured from a bottle, guessing this is about a month old.

Appearance: Very similar to other Crooked Tree/Dekoorc Eert beers. Golden amber, hazy, clearly unfiltered. Head foams out in under a minute.

Smell: Whoa. Very, very vegetal. Burnt toast. Dirty socks. A little unsettling, actually.

Taste: None of the trademark FF flavors- a tiny hint of citrus followed by dirty cotton and old cheese. Not sure how this beer got so funky at 1-2 months old. A very distinct sharp cheddar finish.

Mouthfeel: Same as the other beers in the series. Hard to focus on the mouthfeel with this one, to be honest. Probably the highlight of the beer.

Overall: I feel like I must have gotten a bad bottle. The risks of unpasteurized/unfiltered IPA's mean that you can't guarantee consistency. Because FF is a blend, I suppose that any bad hop in the blend could set off the whole batch.

2.91/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: The same hazyish copper-infused dark gold as I would expect. Head is white, small, wispy, and leaves a thin collar with splotches and notches of lacing. Moderate carbonation.

Smell: Mild biscuit and caramel malts. Vaguely toasted and earthy. Hops run a bit mellower than other iterations. A bit of woody, slightly earthy hops, but it's subtle. Warming brings a bit more of the wood aroma out. A bit of citrus.

Taste: Minor toasted element coupled with something that almost tastes a little acetic. Woody with a backing earthy and herbal element. Some bready elements with a minor caramel malt sweetness. A slight spiciness from the hops as well. Seems like a mellower version...somehow.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish. Par for the course.

Overall: Fly closer to the sun Icarus.

The weakest of the set. Seems to be a milder form of the base beer. Lacks any kind of distinguishing profile. It drinks like a slightly hoppy pale ale instead of the IPA it's supposed to be. A bit of a let down ultimately. Not bad, but not on par with the rest of the pack.

An interesting imperial India pale ale

3.21/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Dark orange/copper. Very cloudy, non filtered IPA. Small white bubbly head. Decent lacing.

S: Not much in the nose. Very muted. What is there is a bit of lemon, grapefruit, maybe a hint of pine and some carmel malt.

T: Kind of follows the smell, pretty boring and not much going on. Some earthy and slight citrus hops. bit of a peppery/spice kick to the hops as well. Some carmel malts are definitely detectable. Mild to medium hop bitterness.

M: Medium body, average carbonation. A bit slick feeling.

O: Good drinkability. Having had all of three of these once now, I think this may be my least favorite, will have to formally review the other two in the next few days. This one is a miss in my book, must be the Falconers Flight hops that I'm not digging.

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Consumed 5/29/13

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for giving me this beer

Appearance: Hazy, lightly cloudy copper, with some orange and gold highlights - small, off-white head, retains a small cap, leaves some streaks of lacing

Smell: Mild, fruity hops and the typical (typically good) Crooked Tree malt profile - the hop profile is pretty strange, but I guess that might be because I've never had any experience with Falconer's Flight hops - citrus, lemon, and onion, not particularly aggressive - caramel and pale malts, with some grainy sweetness

Taste: Remarkably strange - oily grapefruit and orange rinds, with some bitter lemon zest, and something sharp like an onion - a number of herbal, floral, and earthy notes - not particularly good, honestly - decent malts, pale and caramel - light sweetness, with an earthiness that combines with the hops

Mouthfeel: Medium body, low carbonation, some residual stickiness

Overall: FF? This is not my favorite iteration of Final Fantasy

This isn't bad, but I think it's the weakest of the single hop Crooked Tree variations. Falconer's Flight seems like it has some potential, but apparently not as the lone hop variety. Meh.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

A: This poured a hazy light copper with moderate white head.
S: It smelled like bitter citrus zest and earthy copper hops, with some bready malt.
T: It tasted like resin and copper hops, with some bready malt and citrus zest. It had a bitter and somewhat dirty aftertaste.
M: It was somewhat thick with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This was on ok IPA, but the scent and taste weren't anything great. The body was average too, and the finish was a little murky. So it wasn't a delight to drink. Not bad, but not above average.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a glowing copper with a small off-white head that leaves decent lacing and retention. The aromas have alot of caramel in the mix with hints of grapefruit and peach. Some sweet fruit notes are present. The flavors are bittersweet. There's a very nice bitterness going on, but the touch of caramel malts gives it balance. I'm picking up alot of grapefruit in the finish. There's also hints of orange zest along with lemon and lime. Some pine needles in the mix. There's a subtle spiciness as well. Alcohol basically goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is fine. It's medium-bodied and thin with active carbonation.

Not blown away, but once again the craftsmanship is impressive. They seemed to nail their intentions. Good, but nothing crazy, in my opinion.

3.44/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Dark Horse's FF Dekoorc Eert last week for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. This is the last of the three different single hopped versions of Crooked Tree that I picked, I'm interested to see how this one stacks up, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks weird, I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a murky brunt orange color that didn't change when held to the light and it had a little over two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of sticky lacing behind. This was a decent looking beer, but I wasn't a big fan of the color.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a mixture of citrus rind and floral hop aromas with just a little bit of piney aromas coming through in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a bready, lightly grainy and sweet malt like aroma with just a little bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, it was true to style and hop profile was nice.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time the piney and floral hops seem to stick out the most with the citrus rind flavors showing up in the background and the hop profile as a whole is lighter than it was in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which seemed to stick out a little more than they did in the aroma with the grainy and bready malts sticking out the most. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with a slightly hoppy, bready and pretty grainy aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, but i wish the hop profile stuck out a little more and was more like it was in the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, dry on the finish, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, it was very true to style and the hop profile wasn't bad, but I didn't think the hops came out as bright as I would like them to be when it came to the aroma it made this beer a little above the middle as far as the style goes. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, but I think after awhile I would start to get bored with it, so I think one or maybe two would be my limit. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was nice and pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't horrible, but the color wasn't that good. I don't think I would buy this beer on it's own, but I wouldn't turn one down. I can't say I would recommend this as one of the better IPA's, but it's worth a try, especially if your interested in Falconers Flight hops. All in all I liked this beer, but I wasn't impressed by it, the hop profile wasn't bad, but in the end it just wasn't that bright and I found myself wanting more from it. This isn't my favorite Dark Horse beer or my favorite single hopped IPA, but it's not the worst in any of those categories. So far the Apollo version was my favorite, this came in second and the cascade was third. I like the idea behind these beers, keep up the creative work guys.

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Sampled from a 12oz bottle. Thanks surge1311!

An amber/orange color with a cloudy appearance and a minimal head. I see that it's unfiltered but still a surprising look. Mild aroma with hints of citrus but nothing jumping out. Flavor is a mix of toasted malt and citrusy bitterness but again, fairly mild. A nice consistency with a low to moderate carbonation.

A decent beer but a little dull. I expected more given the "Falconers Flight" mention on the label. Maybe I got a bad batch/bottle.

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into Perennial tulip - thanks to erikkoppin

Pours a completely hazed golden amber color with a thick froth of white head resting on top. Slowly dissolves into some bubbled film with thick patches of lacing on the glass.

Light notes of piny hops with hints of tangy citrus fruit. Toasted bread crust and a dollop of caramel. Not terribly interesting.

Decent snap of resinous pine hops with strong bitterness. Sticky and dry with softer notes of grapefruit peel. Toasted bread and caramel with a bit of spiciness. Finishes dry and bitter.

Medium body, nice carbonation, sticky and dry on the tongue. With the exception of the Citra, I found all of these single hop versions to leave a bit left to be desired. Not bad, but certainly not something I'd go out of my way for again.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Burnt orange color body
dank and dingy hops, little malt
Good beer

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.25

Commenting on Hop profile only. If your interested in my opinion of the beer and it's characteristics see my Crooked Tree review.

S= The first thing that comes to my mind when smelling the hops in this beer is grassy. Very grassy. It's almost like a fresh cut grass sort of smell to me. Fresh is key in that work because it's not the grassy hops you get like Kent Goldings or something but a fresher smell.

T= The taste is similar but the fresh grass taste is a little muddled by the malt profile. It's not the most bittereing of hops but not overpowering by any means. It's a strange mix I would say of european hops and american hop bitterness.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

We pour a brew of toasted almond-gold into our Great Lakes pints. It puts up a solid two finger head of creamy, foamy eggshell colored bubbles, showing nice retention. Ghostly patterned lacing is left all around the glass. A thick haze cuts clarity, with waves of sediment swirling around likes schools of fish. Carbonation appears to be lightly moderate. The aroma gives nectary, grassy, and vegetal sweetness of hops, with baker’s yeast, chalk, concord grapes, pale and lightly adjuncty malts, fusel booziness, tannic lemon iced tea, herbal clove, and toasted biscuits. Our first impression is that the flavoring is quite bittered and earthy, but without enough support from a sweeter malt base or added fruitiness. As we sip, the taste opens up with honey, breakfast tea, lemon rind, mango fruitiness, buttery pale malt toast, gravel, slick yeast, tangerine flesh, mild corny adjuncts, and black pepper herbals. The middle comes to a peak with a milder malty wash, with salted pretzels, light wheatiness, black pepper, bitter hop grassiness, dried pine sap, and mineral muddiness. Picking up through the finish is that lemony bite and juiciness, tangy lime, dried grassy hop pellets, more of that same black pepper spiciness, fusel booziness, bittered dry mint leaf, light butters, and toasty pale malts to clean. The aftertaste breathes of graphite, citric and bitterly earthy hops, mineral, chalky sandiness, fusel perfumes, melted plastics, coiny metallics, herbal mosses. The body is lightly medium, and the carbonation is medium. There is okay slurp, smack, cream, froth, and pop. The mouth is cooled and coated with a thin layer of hoppy oils, before melting down into a soft pucker and tannic astringency. There is also some warmth to the back of the throat. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks well.

Overall, what we found to be the best thing about this beer was its appearance. While the initial color was nice, what stood out was the ephemeral patterns of lacing stuck to our glasses, and the head that wouldn’t quit to the last drop. The nose and taste were also pleasant, but not to the degree we were expecting. The aroma was overly mild, with the hops losing punch and freshness. Through the middle of the sip, the flavoring loses that mango and toast thrust from the beginning, becoming a bit watered, loose, and one-dimensional. What is present throughout most of the taste, however, is this bright lemony infusion of juiciness, giving freshness to the buds and pucker to the palate. This one tastes much more similarly to the standard Crooked Tree than the deconstructed citra version, but just isn’t quite as satisfying.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours an amber orange in color with a one finger head.

Floral, citrus, hops. Very light for an IPA.

Very slight citrus finishes with a light floral taste. Not a huge fan.

Mouthfeel is dull for an IPA.

Overall, the regular crooked tree is better.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Even though almost 3 months old I get a 1/4 inch of head and a ton of carbonation in the glass beer is a hazy amber brown.
S - Like all the beers from this pack it smells earthy and piney with some swampy malts on top.
T - Somewhat of a swampy hop presence, kind of mild with a bit of earthy pine on the back end in the finish. Somewhat watery with a smooth body.
M - Light to medium, to me it drinks more watery out of all the other 3.

Overall still smooth and easy to drink but it's the least interesting beer from the pack. Even the regular crooked tree is better.

3.64/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Chris for this one. Can't say for sure that I've had anything with Falconers Flight hops, so we'll see how this goes. It pours a mostly opaque and cloudy amber color, not too far off from the original Crooked Tree; perhaps it's a shade darker. The very weak and small, gray tinted head is thin and soapy and doesn't leave much lace behind.

I lean in and take a whiff and the aroma is pretty muted at first. The beer really isn't too cold, so that's not the problem. The aroma just isn't popping as well as it could/should. A large amount of herbal and lightly peppery hops jump out. There's a mild, borderline-urine aroma trudging in the background, almost reminding me a bit of Simcoe hops.

Malts are surprisingly noticeable, giving off some sticky caramel notes. The citric and grapefruit characters coming off aren't nearly as strong as I'd hoped for, and I'm not getting them as heavily as many other people on here seem to be. Very mild hop oil and white pepper covered grapefruit, but it's still pretty tame compared to the herbal and leafy hops.

I take a sip and I don't love it at first. It's a bit watered down. It's still has a medium body and feels lightly sticky, but the taste itself is thin. Just like the aroma, herbal hops and white pepper are the first flavors to hit the palate and they carry hard into the aftertaste. Citric characters are once again low compared to everything else. Perhaps my expectations were too high for citrus, but aside from a mild, piney grapefruit peel, there isn't much there.

I'm picking up larger bouts of herbs, leaves, ash, and even a bit of char. The malts add a substantial caramel-like sweetness and some bready notes, although the bitterness beats it out just a bit. Spicy hops and a dry, bitter finish leave me wanting something more from this beer. Carbonation is pretty low, sadly, and doesn't really bode well for the mouth feel.

All in all, this was my least favorite of the three variations of Crooked Tree. That said, it certainly wasn't bad, and it was still highly drinkable, but it just wasn't very exciting and I was expecting a little more from it. Everyone seems to note the high citrus and pine and resin from the FF hops, but I was mostly getting herbs and ash. Falconers Flight hops should do very well as a part of a robust hop bill, but they leave a bit to be desired when they're the only ones being used.

3.66/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Dogfish Head pint glass.

The color is a hazy amber/orange with a finger of foamy off-white head and some lacing left on the glass.

The smell is citrus at first with a slight orange aroma that lets a little lemon mix in. There is a slight aroma of wet leaves here and a slight pine does come out in the nose briefly.

The taste is fruity at first with a mellow orange and cantaloupe flavor. The bitterness in this beer has some bite but seems to be mellow as well. A leafy flavor is there at the end with slight pine flavor that arrives after the bitterness passes. There is a juicy fruit flavor that hangs in the aftertaste and is quite pleasurable.

The feel of this is light and really has a great mellow bite. There is a smooth drinkable feel here that just goes down east and the beer disappears quickly. A really great drinker if an IPA.

3.66/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I am almost 100% certain that I've never had this hop varietal before. Certainly not in a single hopped beer.

It carries distinct character, but isn't really boisterous. More earthy and subdued than anything else. Mild pine. The beer is smooth and easy to drink. Isn't that memorable, or interesting, to be honest. Nice to try though.

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly hazy deep copper with a frothy one inch cream head that slowly dissipates, leaving sheets of holy lacing. Much prettier than the cascade. Both had yeast residue left in the bottle.

Grapefruit, pine, and resin form the initial aroma. Caramel malt makes a significant showing at the finish, slightly sweet.

Flavor is initially sweet and bready, fading to resiny bitterness mid palate. The finish is slightly peppery and earthy. Notes of onion, muted citrus, and that amarillo-esque umami are evident. Resin is the dominant hop flavor. Bitterness increases in subsequent sips. Floral notes surface late.

Body is moderate, with moderate carbonation, and a bit of a carbonic bite.

More subtle aroma than the cascade, and less complex in that respect. More bitter flavor and less citrus character, as well. Flavor just seems to stop a bit short about mid palate.

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Brewed with Falconer's Flight hops. Pint glass.

Yep, she's unfiltered. Cloudy burnt orange color with a rich and well-retained finger of off-white foam. Seriously, great head retention. A few stray trails of carbonation shoot upwards slowly; pushing through the suspended beer microparticles. I like the look of it.

Strange muting of a nose for an IPA, particularly for a single-hop version of Crooked Tree. It's a unique hop aroma of light pine, herbs, and an earthy mint note. Semi-toasty malt comes through, too. Sensing that it's balanced like an APA. I'm intrigued before I'm blown away.

Scratch that... it's not a pale ale. Zippy and bitter. Burst of hoppiness pushes pine and woodiness to the front with herbs and pith as secondary elements. A nice sear of the grain produces mouthfuls of rugged toastiness. Very dry flavors that combine as nearly spiny. It's tasty, but it might contort your face a little. Not a smooth hoppiness. A lot of ingredients boiled to high bitterness. Makes for a strange drink, but an educational one. THIS is what Falconer's Flight hops have to offer.

Mouthfeel is about right. Slurpy with gas. What I look for in an IPA. Not too heavy or dense. Carbonation has a front, middle, and finish. You could graph it with a sloped line. Good stuff.

I wasn't entirely impressed, but I love trying these single-hop varieties. I have edacsaC and artiC in the fridge. Best to get all three... so, yes. Buy it.

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Abundent carbonation in this unfiltered thus cloudy looking brew. Has a lighter orange amber glow with a fluffy white head on top.
A fragrant hop bouquet and some toasted malt gave this beer a nice aroma, just wish there was more of it.
Taste is okay. It's mildly hoppy with maybe citrus rind. It's also pretty bitter too.
Drinks crisp and bitter.
I didn't like this one. I found it boring and bland. But then again it is quite drinkable. Seems like somethings missing.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to mrbubbler for sharing this one at GRG1313’s tasting.

Pours a murky orange with a foamy bone head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that smells slightly better than it tastes in my opinion.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-golden amber color with a decent white head and good lacing

S-bread dough, citrus, pine

T-slight caramel and toasted bread, pine, citrus, little herbal, moderate bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp and dry

O-decent IPA, but not as flavorful as the Citra variety, have not had a bee brewed solely with FF until this one, would like to try others

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a pint glass

L - It is orange with golden highlights and cloudy. It it capped with an inch of white head.

S - I get citrus. Orange seems to be most noticeable with some pine.

T - The tastes has orange, alcohol, and pine.

F - Medium

O - It is always interesting to try a single hop beer to gain an understanding in the more complex IPA's.

FF Dekoorc Eert from Dark Horse Brewing Company