Mad Brewer Porter - The Brew Keeper

pDev: n/a
The Brew Keeper
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: joekfsu on 05-05-2008)
Reviews by AwYeh:
1/5  rDev n/a

22oz bottle for $5.29, poured into a shaker pint. Shared with Jesse13713; sorry man (madvermin, count your blessings you were spared).

A: Well, after taking the cap off, foam oozed out the head of this for at least a minute before I stopped it. Not off to a good start. When poured into my glass, calmly, I got about 1 cm of beer to ~7 fingers of head. The beer is a clear reddish brown and the head is light brown. After the head settled down, I had just over an inch of beer left in the glass.

S: Awful, germy must. Hints of sugar; that's it and that's all.

T: Well water, plums, and must. I had to spit the second half of my first mouthful out, and I'm left with the residual, offputting, tangy sweetness of infection. The finish is possibly even more unpleasant, with a hint of bile in there. I'm eating Cheezits afterwards to get the taste out of my though, and beer left enough of an impact to make them taste like straight up vomit.

M: Water with a hint of carbonation.

O: The worst beer I've had to date, put up against the likes of BMC's lowliest, party-themed offerings. Do not buy this beer.

I hate to give such an abysmal review to a local brewer; I purchased this 1. hoping to support a local brewery and 2. because I love porters, which this doesn't resemble in the slightest. Word of advice: check BA before any purchase. It's rare that I pour out a beer; this wasn't a total drainpour, as I poured it on Jesse's plants (I read somewhere that the nutrients in the yeast and such are good for plants, and either way, better to put it directly back into the ecosystem than the sewer).

4/5  rDev n/a

Appearance- Deep chestnut brown- almost black. Nice tan head. Light on lace.

Smell- Toasty malts, with cocoa and some hoppiness to balance.

Taste- Nice, focused malt flavor. Some roastiness and light coffee. Good hops to balance.

Mouthfeel- Medium body. Appropriate for the style. Good carbonation.

Drinkability- Pretty drinkable for a porter. Lots of flavor, but still quite refreshing and not overpowering.

1/5  rDev n/a

Thanks to Aw Yeh (I guess) for splitting this with me.

Appearance - This looks quite obviously infected. A few inches of alcohol with a fist-full of head that is not quick to diminish.

Smell - Smells like sugary water. No other properties whatsoever.

Taste - This tastes absolutely HORRIBLE. WHAT IS THIS. This is most definitely not a porter; let alone a beer. Just an awful watery disgusting sewer taste.

Mouthfeel / Disgusting - I really hate to put this down but honestly this is the worst beer I've ever had in my life. No more than a few sips could be downed without me wanting to gag. Sour skunked sewer all throughout with a ridiculous unneeded head.

3.25/5  rDev n/a

12 oz bottle. Pours dark brown with 2 cm of tan head that is slowly diminishing. Initial flavor is balanced and very light, nothing really comes out. Ends kind of nutty. There is some creaminess too. Thin to medium body, some lacing, no noted carbonation, and hint of alcohol noted. OK beer, I think its above its rating, but not by much.

1.3/5  rDev n/a

Not sure of bottle date but i live in ohio so for a porter it should be fine. I have tried a couple of there other brews (average) and thought i would give this a try. All i can say is WINE! It looked like beer had the mouthfeel of beer and smelled and tasted like wine! My wife (average light beer drinker) smelled it and said it smelled like prune juice. Instant drain pour and my first in a long time. Off batch? I know they are a brew here est. and i guess brew there own also. Even if it was a bad batch where is the quality control?

1.2/5  rDev n/a

Rec'd as an extra in a recent trade.

Pours black. Smell sends up scarlet flags, & they reek of buttery corruption. Scarcely a hint of porter in the air.

Mad Brewer Porter is going to be my second drain-pour in a week, a new world's record. This is plainly infected, with a grainy, bitter, buttery popcorn taste to it, layered on top of a musty, slightly sour tone.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the BA below me. There must be a bad batch of this going around, because this is not good. Fed to the sink.

Mad Brewer Porter from The Brew Keeper
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.