Hite - Hite Brewery Company LTD

Hite Brewery Company LTD visit their website
Korea (South)

Euro Pale Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2002

Yes, had this on many a night in Teagu outside the gates of Camp Henry. It's an unfortunate beer. Tastes a little less like perspiration than OB, but still - the taste is still there. (183 characters)

1.09/5  rDev -57.3%

Appearance – This was light orange in color with an up-and-down head and a bit of effervescence.

Smell – Oh, this is nasty. The rotten grain and cheap sugars are just horrible.

Taste – This is Pale Lager at its worst. The cheap Gummi-Bear sweetness is retched, and the nasty grain notes almost made me vomit.

Mouthfeel – I couldn’t hold this in between my cheeks long enough to gauge the mouthfeel, but it’s thin I’m sure.

Sinkability – I wouldn’t drink this again if someone paid me to. The s-hite refrence was already used, so I’ll just assume that the word “hite” is Korean for, “nasty-ass crap in a bottle.” (637 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

640 ml brown bottle. 20070312 date code on label.

Clear pale yellow, any lighter and it would be the color of water.

Aroma is not good. Faint smell of latex gloves.

Flavor is very bland, some hints of lemon and honey but that is barely there.

Overly carbonated like bud light and that’s the only thing that let me know I was drinking beer. (354 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -45.1%

According to the bottle, a Korean brew that I drank from the bottle (sorry, no visual descriptives as a prelude) but since there were other reviews on this, just had to put my 2 cents in. A strange empty tasting brew (?malts?) with no flavor. But there must be something in it, because it leaves an awful aftertaste. (316 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -44.7%

I worked in South Korea for a few weeks. I had to try at least one Korean beer, and because of my ticking nature I had to take some notes :)

A: Pours a dull, but translucent light yellow color. A tiny white film forms, but fades with no lace what so ever.
S: Overcooked vegetables, adjunct like rice, sulfur, and metal. Pretty offensive to the senses.
T: It does nor get much better. That same overcooked vegetables, sulfur and metal flavor that is in the nose. Sour with some light pale malts. This is bad.
M/D: Thin, watery, week. I could barley finish the bottle. Really bad on this front.

I had to try some just because I was there. Really bad though. I was not expecting much, but US macros are much better than this no matter what kind of beers you like. All I can say is that this was another tick. (807 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Hite? A Korean beer that was purchased in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. Huh, go figure.

Well, in an endeavor to be a goo beer advocate and try everything new I can find, I was in a Korean food store in the dead center of South America and encountered Hite.

It's notable the that "cold meter" on the bottle label has apparently reached Korea, and my bottle indicated that it was the appropriate time to drink. Unfortunately there were no cups available to see the beer to evaluate it properly. But it was obviously the golden/pale lager color. Smell was dull at best, and taste followed suit. Hite gives you the effervescent sensation as any other mass produced lager. Would I drink it again? Not a chance. The only uniqueness to this beer is that it's the only Korean beer I've ever had. (780 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -42%

not good.

pours a pale yellow with a small white head that quickly goes away, not much lacing.

smell is a typical lager smell, somewhat sour.

taste is watery, grain, sourish malt, touch of corn, ends with a strange aftertaste that is somewhat nutty. (252 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -42%

Alright, it's my first beer review, and fairly reviewing a beer of this low quality is quite a challenge, but I've tried to be as fair as I could.

Appearance - The carbonation is very high, very champagne like. The head retention is very poor, which makes me think of cola soda foam. The color is very light in the yellow-ish tones, almost transparent. The beer is crystal clear.

Smell - The smell is difficult to describe. It smells very alcoholic, and it smells like aluminium. This couldn't come from where it was conditioned, since I poured it from a glass bottle. There is a smell very far away and discrete which reminds me of a very faint earthy hop. But this is very far away.

Taste - The taste is as the smell. Very aluminum-ish, the hops are non-existent, and it's very alcoholic considering the alcohol percentage. The beer is absolutely unbalanced. The alcohol is too much overpowering.

Mouthfeel - The beer is very much over carbonated, yet watery. It's a very thing mouthfeel, yet aggressive.

Drinkability - It's definitely not appealing and I wouldn't drink another one. Definitely not. (1,108 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Clear, pale yellow with a skim of white foam that instantly shrinks to nothing. Green apple skin, corn and cereal grains with some dusky, herbal hop notes in the aroma. Light and grainy with a distinct cheap, adjunct beer quality. Sweet and corny with a touch of washed out hop bittering. Light and highly carbonated. Why is this beer exported..it really isn't worthy, I've had American malt liquors that blow this crap import away. No thanks. (443 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -40%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 12oz. can; no "canned on" or "best before" warning.

Appearance: Pours a pale, straw-colored gold; fine, two-fingered head; not much in the way of head retention or lacing.

Aroma: Largely or cooked corn and grain; slight vegetal hints.

Taste: Lightly sweet upfront with a faint bitterness in the finish; predominant flavor characteristic is of grain; light bodied; crisp mouthfeel.

Notes: One word, "s-hite". (433 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -39.2%

Hite is the biggest, most popular, and in my opinion ubiquitous of any domestic beer in Korea. Unfortunately this is not a good thing. I'm really only writing this for posterity.
Pours an uninspiring but not putrid yellow with an uneven head. I smell only corn and rice, and not real good examples either.
The taste is similarly noxious, with no individual characteristics or positives to speak of. Simply a highly marketed, mass produced beera generica..
Mouthfeel is grainy and carbonated, and deterorates quickly if held for longer than an instant.
This beer is quite literally everywhere in my residence in Incheon and I utterly detest it. Many places it's the only beer on tap and sometimes the only beer at all making soju your only other option..ouch. (764 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Came in a brown 640 ml bottle, HITE is embossed around the shoulder. The label claims that this is made "from naturally fresh water", whew, that's a relief.

It has a decent head on it from the pour, a finger and a half of white foam that retains longer than most N. American macros. The body however is a pale, pale clear straw-like hue, very washed out and watered down looking. The aroma is also quite bland, a quick intake of cidery corn sweetness, an underlying sourness, and that's all you get. The flavour gets worse the more I drink it, a grainy cidery flavour with a bit of an adjunct burn on the finish in lieu of where the hops should be. The mouthfeel is actually pretty average for what it should be for this style except that the sandpaper rip of the overcarbonation over the palate and tongue spoils the party. Not a very pleasant or user-friendly beer for the most part, I'm only halfway through the bottle and I can't shake this nasty cidery aftertaste, while my tongue gets sandblasted from every sip. At least there's some comfort knowing that the macros from other countries overseas are just as bad, if not worse, than our own. (1,151 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -32.9%

640 ml bottle - dull gold hue – no head – nose of sweet corn , bread , and sweet rice - bitter, malt, skunk, cat urine and slight hopps taste - light semi dry body- cat pee , bitter skunk aftertaste do not have have anything else to say about this beer (254 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -30.2%

Had a Tin Can Tavern & Grille - Columbia, MO

A - Poured out a clear, straw yellow color with millions of bubbles of carbonation. It had a small, white, bubbly head that receded quickly and left no lace.

S - It smelled of grains. Really there wasn't much else for an aroma.

T - It tasted of grains and was a little watery. There was an unpleasant aftertaste.

M - Very thin and weak. A light bodied lager.

D - I tried this so I could say I've had a beer from South Korea. That's about all I'll ever say about it though. (523 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -29.4%

From a 12oz can - Pours a clear light pale yellow. Not pretty at all. No carbonation, no lacing . Smells of corn and very light malts. First sip is almost flavorless with just a tad of hops and malts ...almost water like. I cannot imagine consuming this product. (262 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -26.3%

A: Pours a pale yellow with no real head.

S: Has a generic stale beer aroma.

T: Taste was slightly sweet but no real flavor, pretty bland.

F: It had a light body with lots of carbonation.

D: Had with a Korean meal. It makes OB & Cass look pretty good. (257 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -26.3%

My first attempt at this beer was skunked. Luckily, I gave it a second try and hopefully this was a genuine impression of what the beer was supposed to be. To be honest, it wasn't much better. It smelled sweet, but it didn't really smell like anything. It had a starchy character with very little flavour. The only note I could discern was that of figs, which made it difficult to enjoy after half of a glass. It was far too sweet for a beer that is supposed to be refreshing and easy to drink in quantity. I've had sweeter beers, but with no other discernible flavour, this beer was cloyingly sweet. And that fig flavour just built up as I drank. At the time, the only alternative was Budweiser, so I continued to drink the Hite, figuring it was probably the lesser of the two evils, but not by much. Too much sugar in this beer. (830 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -24.3%

Had this beer at Sa Ri One (Korean Rest.) in Tampa and if it wasn't because my mouth was ON FIRE from the squid stir fry and the kimchee, I don't think I would've drank the whole bottle.

A: Pale straw with a bright white ephemeral head.
S: Smelled like sweet corn.
T: Very lite and a bit sweet, similar to an American Macro lager.
M: Watery, kinda' like Bud Light.

I don't think I'll be ordering it next time. (411 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -23.5%

A: If it weren't for the little hue of yellow, it would be as clear as mineral water. Head seems like it COULD have some retention, forming a good finger and a half... but then BAM... it's gone. Absolutely no lacing, nothing. Just this incredibly pale yellow liquid in the glass.

S: What in blazes??? There's a weird aroma that comes across like juniper berries... as in bad gin. It's very odd. There's a sweet. also somewhat fruity scent as well. Not very good at all

T: Not the worst part of this brew, which is fortunate. Corn, sweet malts, no major "offtastes," which is fortunate, but not really very good, sadly.

M + D: Carbonation is quite mellow, and body is quite thin. This was picked up simply because it was available, and I don't see myself grabbing anymore... no big recommendations here. (807 characters)

The beer dispenses from the bottle light gold color with the head bright white and modest in size, texture is frothy, the lace a thin velum like sheet to conceal the glass. Nose is malt sweet, crisp and clean; start is sweet, thinly malted, top cadaverous in feel. Finish is mild in its acidity, the hops present but quite subdued in their spiciness, dry aftertaste, a typical thin waisted lager that has little merit in my humble opinion. (439 characters)

According to the label this beer is "Clean & Pure!" , as well as having gone through a " Freezing point filtration system". Uh, OK then. The beer poured a very thin, watery yellow color with about a half inch of white head that dissipated quickly and left just the lightest possible lacing.

The aroma was typically neutral, a bit of grains, no hops and some sweetness. The flavors were the same, bland and neutral, but the beer did have a very slight skunk/funk flavor.

The body was very thin and watery, even for the style. Drinkability was on the "why bother" side of the scale, there are better examples of the style out there. Overall, not a good beer, try it to tick it, otherwise avoid. (694 characters)

A: bubbly dirty blonde, trace head, zero lacing

S: sweet corn, malt

T: sweet corn, hint of malt, dry finish

M: light body, big carbonation, dry crisp mouth

O: Ugh, this is like a beer spritzer.
Not very good and can barely finish one.

YUCK, DON'T BOTHER! (260 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -19.6%

Not as bad as I was led to believe, but still bottom-rung stuff. The can that I had ice-cold was far better than my second, which was a little warmer. There is something to be said for numbing your taste buds when drinking this crud.

American marketers have made big-sellers out of crap beer like Heineken and Corona. Let's see them pitch this to the masses. (359 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The glass fills with pale gold, clear, content. The head is weak and quickly disappears with only a small lacing left.
The aroma is expected: malt and grains. Although gentle, quite pleasant.
The taste is bittery and light, The finish is neutral without any real bitterness.
Nice for a refreshment, but not much to the taste. (325 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -19.2%

Hard to beat the price @ $5 bucks a six pack I figured I'd give this a fair shake. Poured into a stemmed pils glass it forms a good sized frothy white head. Body is a very light shade of yellow with tons of racing carbonation.

In line with most beers I've found in this style it has a grainy sweet malt bill and some corn husk can be found as it warms up a bit. Towards the end there is a touch of hop balancing going on. The thing I didn't like about this was that it didn't clean up all that well. Definitely crisp but not as clean as I would like. Easily consumed.

Notes: I would put this in the below average category within the style. Easy to drink as I watch some College Basketball. Nothing to think about here. (724 characters)

Hite from Hite Brewery Company LTD