RedLegg Ale - Barrel House Brewing Company

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: Dogbrick on 12-03-2002

Ratings: 59 | Reviews: 58
1.42/5  rDev -57.4%

Like other reviewers, I noted a sour characteristic. Unlike some other brewers, I found this flavor to be revolting, along with several other characteristics of this beer, such as it's appearance. I would suspect that this bottle was old, but I bought it in Ohio, not that far from Cincinnatti, the bottle looked to be in good condition, and other reviewers have noted the same characteristics. In addition, this bottle had no date code, so I'm left to assume that it is fresh from the brewery and should be rated as such. Let me spell out the source of my objections about this beer:

Appearance - looked like a hazy iced tea. Very little head, weird inconsistent haze in the glass. No floaties, but when that's the nicest thing you can say about a beer...

Aroma - is sour...maybe apples? It had almost a Berlinerweisse characteristic that totally didn't belong in this beer.

Flavor - is pretty awful. More sourness backed by some grainy maltiness. Maybe a heavy dose of isoamyl acetate thrown in? This stuff is pretty rancid.

Palate - when appearance, aroma, and flavor stinks, who cares about mouthfeel? This stuff could feel like a Swedish massage, but the way it tastes, I still wouldn't drink it.

This beer is pretty awful. Weird fruity sour notes in a red/amber ale? Awful weird appearance? Equals drain pour in my book. I picked it up because it was an inexpensive bomber from a brewer I was unfamiliar with. WIth this beer as my first contact, I will not be seeking out the Barrel House for any other beers in the future.

1.75/5  rDev -47.4%

22oz bomber in pint glass

Poured nice, looked nice. Had an odd smell. With the first taste my wife and I both looked at each other in surprise. There were hints of oranges and maybe spice. I waited a minute and had another sip. This beer is terrible, I actually poured it out and I never pour out beer. I would rather have budwater than this. Hopefully it was a bad bottle, or maybe I don't like the style, but I won't give it another try.

2.08/5  rDev -37.5%

I was disappointed with this beer, especially since I'm a fan of the brewery and a die-hard promoter of the Cincinnati brewing tradition. The color is that of a typical red ale, but the head is not particularly impressive. Slightly tangy nose, with a very tangy, sour, almost lactic taste on the palate. The finish is still dominated by the tartness, so much that even the refreshing carbonated mouthfeel leave you wondering if this beer is a bit acidified. I'll try again with a later batch.

2.14/5  rDev -35.7%

Courtesy of woody, tasted on a fine afternoon on his back patio.

Poured from a 22 oz bottle, with little head to speak of. Darkish amber, and a bit orangish.

Smelled a bit malty, though nothing appealing in the nose.

Felt thin, watery, and cheap.

A bit like drinking tea, as far as taste and feel. Had little flavor to speak of. Surely it could've had something a bit more. Any strong flavor would have benefited this one.

I really didn't care for this one. Not much there for me to speak of.

2.38/5  rDev -28.5%

22 ounce bottle received as an extra from brianj555, thanks for including this in my package, split with my dad tonight, first beer in a long time, poured into my Firestone pint glass

A-Clear reddish orange color that is pretty light, small bubbly white head that left a bit of a creamy residue, went away quickly, not much retention, no lacing

S-Light hops, caramel malt, grass, citrus with mostly oranges, molasses, earthiness, lemon tea, and grains

T-Started off with a little lemon flavor that faded into some chewiness quite soon, followed by a slightly dry finish with both light hops and citrus, not much going on with the taste and only got worse and it warmed, almost unbearable as it gets a little syrupy sweet, would have liked to see a more aggressive hop profile and some other complexity, boring and weak in my opinion

M-Slightly hoppy, sweet, and faintly citrus-like mouthfeel, could have definitely used some more carbonation as it was pretty flat, taste did not longer long, thin to medium body

D-Could drink a lot of this stuff if it tasted good because it is only four percent and light on the stomach, not very smooth though and very tiresome

Never heard of this beer or even the brewery for that matter, not a big fan of red ales and this is no exception, although this one was even worse than others I have had in the past, too sweet and fruity for its style, would not drink again, cannot recommend it either

2.56/5  rDev -23.1%

A - Nice reddish brown color, a little bit hazy (translucent but not transparent). Good two finger head is just slightly off white/ tan, and it sticks around pretty well.

S - Malty, slightly fruity and a bit sour.

T - Quite sour with some malty sweetness and a grainy finish.

M - Dry and puckering, moderate to high carbonation. I detect a bit of astringency as well.

D - It is kind of hard to rate this one. I enjoy it and I certainly don't mind drinking the 22oz bottle that I have, but I am pretty sure it is he result of flawed brewing. Going by the discription of an American Red ale, it should NOT taste the way it does, it tastes more like a Flemmish Red to me. It seems pretty obvious that I got an infected bottle, so I can't give it a good score for style, but it turned out to be pretty drinkable anyway.

2.68/5  rDev -19.5%

A - Pours a ruby amber color with a small head that persisted

S - Dominated by sweet caramel malt with some strong fruity notes

T - Tons of caramel malt, that are not balanced by any hop flavor, There are some fruit notes to wrap this beer up

M - Light in body with minimal carbonation

D - Not balanced or enjoyable

2.7/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From notes 6-9-08

Eye: Quite nice in color, translucent red with orange and yellow hues in there as well. Head formed nicely but then rapidly fell to little more than a film, lacing is poor. Were this poured into a glass at a bar it would look good, however, here at home, with a clean glass, I am relatively unimpressed.

Nose: Nice big sweet malty nose fruitiness and some slight chocolate notes and caramel. Also some cooked vegetables, not very pleasing to the nose overall. Were it not for this vegetal aroma I"m getting it would be very nice in the nose, kind of like tootsie rolls but with faint vegetables under it....perhaps its just me? Seems to only be captured in the head, once drinking commences and head falls the aroma vanishes in a logarithmic pattern. Seems a bit weaker once I start drinking though it also seems to come back from time to time.

Tongue: Light overall, just not quite there especially in mouthfeel, quite thin and water, very little carbonation. Reminds me of drinking cola going flat, or a concoction of vanilla and coke-not vanilla coke. Light sweetness and chocolate play on the tongue. The aroma is much more intense than the taste, giving one a false sense of anticipated flavor. No noticeable hop flavor, maybe bitterness just for balance.. though it is not really noticeable, plus the beer is on the sweet side as it is. No off flavors as found in the aroma. Nothing stands out seems, pretty average.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: See above for mouthfeel. This isn't one that I'd be too excited to drink again, though I think I'll give it another go just to try and prove my olfactory senses wrong with the vegetal aroma. In my opinion, this is on the lower end of the Barrel House line, my least favorite, the one that sucks the most. Overall, I think that this brew is weak. It might be worth a try but I really don't see myself buying it again(with the exception to find out if I had a bad bottle/batch or if it is really vegetal to my nose). Don't judge Barrel Hose by this beer.

2.72/5  rDev -18.3%

22oz. bottle into a nonic.

Toasty melanoidin rich munich malt is front and center with the hops nearly nonexistant. Big off-white head quickly falls to a healthy layer of fluff with remnants of past glories clinging to the sides. The beer is a clear coppery amber, ambery copper, whatever.

Back in the aroma I am digging the rich toasty bready stuff. I get some cinnamon. It seems like I usually do with munich.

Flavor is tarttarttart!!! What the hell??!!! Almost sweettart kinda tart. Only I'm sure this isn't supposed to be some sort of style-pushing "wild ale" here. there is a bit of the aroma's promise for maybe a quarter second, then, "wham!" Tart! Ok, it's not Rodenbach sour or anything, but when you're not expecting it...

Oddly enough, I keep going back. Mouthfeel is nice and full. Palate coating and no astringency. Carbonation is a little low. I would imagine that if the flavor held to the aroma this would be a nice red ale that i could drink a ton of, but this one just isn't right.

Beware.

2.95/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber and served in a shaker. This beer poured a cloudy, dark amber with a thin head of beige foam that quickly faded away. No lace. The aroma of the beer was made up of caramel, iced tea, and some mild citrus hops. The flavor consisted of toasted caramel, orange, and light pine. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied with light carbonation. Just another middle of the road amber.

2.96/5  rDev -11.1%

Had this beer on-tap at the Red Brick Tavern in Athens, OH.

Pours an amber color with about a 1 inch white head. Looks like a good beer.

Smell- not much here, tad skunky
Taste- not too impressed, some sweetness, no hops, biscuity flavor
Mouthfeel- good carbonation, medium bodied
Drinkability- it's not very good so i wouldn't drink more than one in a night

wow i dont know to say... this is my 3rd beer form this brewery and they all taste identical!!

all smell and tasted like spiced apples with high carbonation

all which i like but - you can not throw out the same flavor and call it a different style

if all of their beer taste the same i dont even want to try the rest - whats the point

if you had one youve had them all

Pours a lightly hazy red color with a tan head that falls quickly to a ring, not much lace on this one.

Aroma is malty munich malts that smell buttery and lightly fruity almost a strong maranz like aroma with some earthy note. Aroma is little strang not your typical red here.

Taste is wow this is different biscuity malty with hints of Flanders red here not quite sour like a Flanders but heading that way. Some earthy hops in the finish but light at best. Over all not a normal red or what I was expecting as I love a good amber ale.

Mouthfeel is light side of medium not much body clean finish light carbonation or medium but mouthfeel makes carbonation seem more mellow then it is.

Drinkability is strange not a normal amber here more like half amber half Flanders red, not bad per say not pouring it down the drain, but would want another one either. Any how want to thank merlin48 for yet another brew I wouldn't normally get to sample.

Appearance: Pours a clear, ruby red body with a thin white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling aroma of caramelized sugar and toasted grains with only a hint of spicy herbs.

Taste: Mild malty sweetness of dark caramel balanced by a touch of lemon and a soft, tea-like bitterness which carries through to the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Relatively low carbonation.

Drinkability: Yep, it's a session amber ale alright!

3.1/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bomber bottle, no freshness information being offered here. Pours slightly reddish amber, a LONG lasting creamy, tan head keeps it up, over alot of rising tiny bubbles. Sweet, malty nose, hints of cherries, wood, sweet malts...too sweet, too highly carbonated. I could see using this one as a sweet marinade, but not for much else. Pass this one by.

3.11/5  rDev -6.6%

22 oz bomber. The brew pours a very solid deep tea color with a massive off-white head that falls slowly to a full finger over top. The clarity is modest and there is a very weak carbonation running though this one. The aroma is very orange citrusy with a small phenolic quality in there. The malt is only found as a weak grainyness behind the aromas previously mentioned. That orange is way too dominant for this brew. The flavor is better. I get a moderate breadyness, with a mold toasted character, with a orange sweetness that plays throughout the flavor. There is a very mild kiss of bitterness on the finish. Not too bad. Moutfeel is moderate with a mild, but lightly biting carbonation. This one is okay. The aroma really puts me off, but it comes back strong with the flavor. The alcohol is actually a little hot in this one, even though it is very low ABV. It is giving me a little born in my stomach. I think I might choose something else before I have this again.

Photo of
3.18/5  rDev -4.5%

22oz. bottle

True gold/amber in color, clear. Large, creamy, light tan head. No lacing or legs.

Aroma was biscuity with caramel. Earthy and herbal notes. Citrus, but fairly mild.

Big citrus taste up front - lemon. Grassy finish. Bitter more than sweet. Seems a bit unbalanced. No aftertaste.

Medium body, thins out quickly. Medium + carbonation -- could be toned down. Not very dry.

Not terribly impressive. Easy to drink, but just doesn't wow me.

3.18/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a foggy brown/orange with a ridiculous crème head at first that thankfully doesn't take too long in falling. Nose is like apple juice. But not the good kind of apple juice. It's like that nasty watered down apple juice you'd get from daycare of Sunday school or something lame like that. Flavor is kind of the same actually. Tart apple tones with a bite on the back I'm not appreciating. Seems way out of whack. And nowhere near being an amber I have to say. Feel is typical on liquid. Carbonation is nice enough. This is no amber. No way. It's an okay beer to drink, but I'm not sure what happened here.

3.2/5  rDev -3.9%

Tasted at the Barrelhouse Brewing Company Microbrew Fest on November 9. Typical Irish-style red ale. Dark amber with a medium beige head. Malty aroma. More character than the typical Killian's type beer but they have better beers than this available.

3.23/5  rDev -3%

Barrel House Brewing's Red Legg Ale poured deep copper in color topped by a well constructed cream head. Aroma was slightly fruity with a little toffee scent. Sweet tasting and a little nutty with a mildly bitter finish. Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

RedLegg is a mild, malt weighted red ale. I think it's a solid, basic, middle of the road red.

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

22oz bomber for $2.99 - cheapest I've ever seen for this size.

A - Poured out a Copper/amber.

S - Nice malt nose, some grassy tones

T - Malt, grass, biscuit tones.

M - Has a light body and medium carbonation.

D - This beer has been slammed in some fo the reviews. It's not fantastic but it is definately worth the price for a new beer to try. Plus, I enjoy giving Cincinnati beers a good try.

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%

this had a promising start with it's clear, dark ruby-brown color. nice roasty and carmel notes in the nose. upon tasting this shows a light sweetness followed by a bit of coffee in the aftertaste. this is a bt thin and almost watery, but at 4.2% i can't complain. not a bad offering for $1.99 a bomber.

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%

An OK ale, somewhat lacking in the taste department. Still, a decent brew.

Clear amber with a thick and sticky ivory head along with some nice sheet lacing. Aroma took me back a bit, spicy and woody. Unfortunately, they did not carry over well in the quaff, as it turned sour, almost tart on top of a malty backbone. Strange twist of fate here!

Crisp, dry and tangy, glad I got to try it – courtesy of Mike (mcallister)
from the SimplyBeer BIF.

3.33/5  rDev 0%

Poured a nice reddish brown with a small head, this quickly faded to just about nothing. Left a tiny bit of lace but not much at all. Smell was light, very grain and bread driven, not alot of hops in this one at all, but none to be expected. Taste was smooth, nice carbonation with a very musty, grassy and earth, bread type taste to it. A very typical red ale, not bad at all. Nice long lingering finish had me come back for more. Overall nothing special and a decent session beer, good call for a change. Would probley be very nice on tap.

3.38/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gaudy kumquat with tangerine trim. There's no trace of red that I can detect, but then the brewery calls RedLegg an amber ale rather than a red ale. The cap is toasted tan with a pastel orange influence and is tight-bubbled enough to last for a bit. What lace manages to find its way to the glass looks to be on the melty side.

There isn't enough power behind the nose for me to appreciate much. I get a whiff of nutty, toasted Munich malt, but very little else. Perhaps a mild fruitiness from the ale yeast, although that's probably pushing it. East Kent Goldings, where are ye?

RedLegg is maltier than it is hoppy. I'm speaking of flavor, not body, because there isn't a whole lot of malt present. I don't know why BarrelHouse insists on using Munich malt in so much of their beer. While it isn't overpowering in this case, it results in a quasi-Oktoberfest vibe that I don't care for.

A greater use of more 'flavor neutral' malt would allow some semblance of balance with respect to malty and hoppy. As in the nose, the hops are virtually absent. There's a modest amount of bitterness on the finish, but precious little hop flavor to go along with it. This beer needs an identity in a big way.

The body/mouthfeel is semi-enjoyable even though it's probably closer to light than to medium. It holds up well throughout the mouthful (and as the beer warms) so I can't be too critical. A subdued amount of carbonation seems to fit the other aspects of the mouthfeel quite well.

RedLegg Ale is a fair to middlin' effort from one of Ohio's lesser known breweries. Although I've liked a few of the other BarrelHouse beers more, this one is drinkable and should be enjoyed by a fairly wide variety of Ohioans. Serious beer lovers should look elsewhere though.

RedLegg Ale from Barrel House Brewing Company