Buckeye Beer - Maumee Bay Brewing Company

Ohio, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: AtLagerHeads on 10-01-2003

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a very nice bubbly golden color with some nice initial head and a bit of nice lacing. Crisp and clean scent, with a bit of nice peppery hops in the aroma, but along with the slightly off-jerky aroma common in some lagers. Good taste, nice and sweet-malty with a good German hop finish to it. Goes down fine, if a bit hop-rough.

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Medium amber beneath a good-sized crown of ivory colored foam that has a yellowish tint. There's nothing wrong with the lid. It hangs around for a while and deposits a respectable amount of lace in the bargain. The look is unassuming, with no real faults.

My first thought upon popping the cap was 'macro lager'. Now that I'm actually putting my nose over the glass, I feel the same way. Buckeye Beer smells like any of the lagers from BMC, although it has no hint of nastiness. It's just pale grain and a musky German hoppiness. Good thing this stuff doesn't come in clear glass bottles.

Eh, not bad. It's a damn sight better than the more popular lagers noted above, but I won't be counting the days until my next trip to Ohio so I can load up (like I do with Great Lakes, Three Floyds, Founders, etc). To be fair, it does improve a bit as it sits, a concept that BMC lagers are... uh... unfamiliar with.

The malt backbone can't be anything darker than pale malt. It provides flavors of reasonably fresh grain (depending on how fresh the bottle is) and... that's it. The grassy hops (gotta be Saaz) are almost prominent enough for me to agree with the Czech pilsener classification. There's a good sweet-bitter balance, I'll give it that.

The body/mouthfeel doesn't make an impression unless one focuses on it for the purposes of description. It's light-medium in a general sense and doesn't give up the ghost on the back end. Not bad, not bad at all.

I feel like I've already given my conclusion of Buckeye Beer in saying that it isn't something I'm interesting in drinking a second time. The brewery's history is pretty interesting (and the old-time label is great), but the beer is the only thing that really matters in the end. Although I didn't expect excellence, I'm still disappointed that a beer that shares my user name isn't of higher quality.

3.35/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Clear gold in color, with a short, bright white head of foam.
Aroma-Faint pilsner malt.
Taste-Faint cracker and pilsner malt, very crisp, subtle hop note, rather dry finish.
Very refreshing and drinkable, light but with a bit of character. A step up from a macro. Sure to please a cookout crowd on a hot day. For me, local, fresh and affordable. A pleasant surprise.

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

3.24/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Pours clear, yellow, and gives about an inch of head. Retention and lacing are both average.

S - Spicy on the nose. Biscuit and earthy aromas are first in line, followed by sharp floral hops. Very nice aroma on this one.

T - Taste was a tad bit bland. Earthy flavors are there but seem muted. Bitter hops are there but are average. As it warms the hops tend to become more dominant (which does give it some appeal).

M - Light bodied with good carbonation. Too light bodied for my taste. There is a dry finish.

D - Drinkability is average. The lack of flavor and body make it go down pretty easy but I would look elsewhere if I wanted a pilsener.

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

This is a nice average American-style Pilsener with less Saaz hops dimension than would be present in European brews.

The look is good for the body, being exceptionally clear and bright gold in color. The head was lacking and there was very little lace from the white head.

The nose was light, but did hint of some nice hopping that faded in the flavor. The feel was fairly light, but had a nice crisp finish.

The drinkability of this beer is good; small ABV, light body, and crispness without over carbonation.

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

My review for on-tap says this would be a regular drinker for me if I could get it local. Now it's at my favorite beverage store, so gotta try it in the bottle to see if the prediction holds up.

A: Beer head, left quick, really light yellow, clean.

S: Well, it's a beer. a "dry" scent? Oh, that's hops asserting themselves. Like a Pabst. Nothing special.

M: Little hops bitter, mostly sweet corn-pop aftertaste. Watery.

T: Dry. As advertised. The bitter from the hops makes this a little better and it's a bit fresher than others. Step above Pabst but pretty close. Corn pops without the milk is the main note to this.

D: Yeah, I would get this again if I was in the mood for this sort of drink. It's less obtrusive than Pabst so a little more than a lawnmower beer, but I don't like to think about the drink when I want a lawnmower beverage. Eh... Maybe the difference of bottling made this rank lower than when I got it fresh off the tap. So it goes.

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of white, foamy head. It is yellow and clear. It looks a lot like a Busch beer. The smell is very sweet. The taste is sweet and bready. It is watery and goes down quite nicely. It's not my favorite style, and I hate the name.

Go Blue!

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

On tap in a sampler at the brewpub.

First thing -- this is not a Czech pilsner! It's an American lager. As such, it's not bad. It is straw colored and clear with a decent white head.

Aroma is light with a hint of floral hops. Inviting.

The flavor is sweet and grainy, probably its weakest point, but still pretty clean and easy to drink.

3.13/5  rDev +1.6%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brwon bottle into a standard pint glass. The label is predominantly red and white and depicts a cartoon character waiter carrying a tray with a bottle and a pilsner glass. "When you're dry . . . Drink Buckeye." No visible freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with three fingers of nearly white foam with enough surface tension to rise 1 finger above the rim. This settles slowly to q tick, half finger head. Some lacing. The beer itself is pale yellow and perfectly clear. Lots of activity.

Smell: Slightly spicy and metallic Saaz hops in the nose. Very slight hint of the underlying malt.

Taste: Some hop spice upfront, with very lightly sweet malt. Mild bitterness in the finish with some husky astringency.

Mouthfeel: Average level of carbonation, though the activity continues throughout the beer. Body is average to average plus.

Drinkability: Typically not my style, but this one is refreshing, Just having finished a long run in the August heat, al ight bodied beer with some flavor hits the spot.

3.13/5  rDev +1.6%

Perhaps my review shouldn't count. I spent my childhood 15 miles from the brewery in Bowling Green, Ohio, and am a proud graduate of THE Ohio State University. So I will summon every objective fiber in my body to make an honest review here.

This is an old school lager that knows it's an old school lager, and is damn proud of it. Love the retro label, and brew pours a clear golden yellow, with a soft foamy head on top. It's solid lager in aroma and flavor department. The malt is biscuit-like, the hops is grassy. Right level of carbonation and no of flavors. Just a solid, old school lager, and there's nothing wrong with that.

3.11/5  rDev +1%

Glowing, crystal clear golden yellow brew with a smallish head. Admittedly, my estimate of the appearance may be a bit off because I tasted this via their sampler; so it's hard to say for sure what the head looks like on this beer.

A bit grassy and plain. Nose is dull and almost non-existant. Similarly, it's got a bland flavor about it. Nonetheless, it's a quality brew as evidenced by its richer, heartier mouthfeel. Certainly not the best pilsner I've ever had, but it gets the job done. And from what I learned today, Buckeye Beer has a remarkable history behind it. Nice little brew.

3.09/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

on tap at Maumee Bay brewpub in Toledo.
This light golden pilsner looks as it should and has no major flaws. However, I found it a bit under-hopped and a tad sweet. This had more effect on the aroma, which reflected way more malt than hops. The particular mix(?) of hops (Noble?) seems appropriate.

Medium-light body with medium carbonation.

3.04/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to beervirgin72 for the bottle!
Very light yellow pour with a smallish white head. Smell is cor and grainy like maltiness. Kind of reminds me of the honey smacks cereal with the frog mascot. Taste is sweet maltiness, and is very honey like. Somewhat crisp mouthfeel. Very easy drinking, and this could be my guilty pleasure beer if I lived in Ohio.

Buckeye Beer from Maumee Bay Brewing Company