Buckeye Beer - Maumee Bay Brewing Company

Czech Pilsener |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: AtLagerHeads on 10-01-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

My review for on-tap says this would be a regular drinker for me if I could get it local. Now it's at my favorite beverage store, so gotta try it in the bottle to see if the prediction holds up.

A: Beer head, left quick, really light yellow, clean.

S: Well, it's a beer. a "dry" scent? Oh, that's hops asserting themselves. Like a Pabst. Nothing special.

M: Little hops bitter, mostly sweet corn-pop aftertaste. Watery.

T: Dry. As advertised. The bitter from the hops makes this a little better and it's a bit fresher than others. Step above Pabst but pretty close. Corn pops without the milk is the main note to this.

D: Yeah, I would get this again if I was in the mood for this sort of drink. It's less obtrusive than Pabst so a little more than a lawnmower beer, but I don't like to think about the drink when I want a lawnmower beverage. Eh... Maybe the difference of bottling made this rank lower than when I got it fresh off the tap. So it goes. (962 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Pours clear, yellow, and gives about an inch of head. Retention and lacing are both average.

S - Spicy on the nose. Biscuit and earthy aromas are first in line, followed by sharp floral hops. Very nice aroma on this one.

T - Taste was a tad bit bland. Earthy flavors are there but seem muted. Bitter hops are there but are average. As it warms the hops tend to become more dominant (which does give it some appeal).

M - Light bodied with good carbonation. Too light bodied for my taste. There is a dry finish.

D - Drinkability is average. The lack of flavor and body make it go down pretty easy but I would look elsewhere if I wanted a pilsener. (653 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a nice-looking pilsner. A straw-yellow color with a nice thick white head that laces nicely.
Smell is not good. A bit of strong wheat smell and almost a skunk hop smell too.
Taste is not much better than the smell. A biscuit taste with a bit of bad hop as well.
Mouthfeel is okay. An okay thickness, but nothing spectacular.
Drinkability is good. A balanced beer, but nothing going on that would make one want to drink a lot of these. Eh... (448 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Pale golden color, clear with a cap of white head that quickly diminishes.

Smells of some light grainy malts, nothing outstanding about the scent but nothing off-putting either.

The taste is really good, some nice grain at the forefront balanced with the hops and finishing somewhat dry. Really a good flavor, much better than I was expecting given the appearance and smell of it.

The palate impact was average, decent carbonation level and a nothing really crazy going on there...

Definately a drinkable beer, I think come football season I'll turn my dad on to this pilsner. (580 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +14.6%

This was a pretty good beer. The appearance was that of a nice pilsener. Clear golden with pretty bubbles coming up. There was a nice white head on it.

The smell was that of a budweiser but good. It was very crisp and clean and had a very sweet malty smell.

The taste was sweet and malty. The hops were barely noticable but made a presence.

The mouthfeel was fairly thick. Not was I am used to in a Pilsener.

Drinkablitiy is pretty good. An all around good beer. (475 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a clear yellow with a small head that fell quickly. Lots of carbonation. Little to no head retention or lacing.

Grainy smell with some hop aroma. Maybe the slightest hint of honey.

Crisp grain/light malt flavor. Dry finish that is slightly sweet.

Light and refreshing. Goes down easily like most pils.

I grabbed this beer on a whim and I'm glad I tried it. I don't know that I would have more than one at a time, but it would also be good for a hot day. (463 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -0.9%

Perhaps my review shouldn't count. I spent my childhood 15 miles from the brewery in Bowling Green, Ohio, and am a proud graduate of THE Ohio State University. So I will summon every objective fiber in my body to make an honest review here.

This is an old school lager that knows it's an old school lager, and is damn proud of it. Love the retro label, and brew pours a clear golden yellow, with a soft foamy head on top. It's solid lager in aroma and flavor department. The malt is biscuit-like, the hops is grassy. Right level of carbonation and no of flavors. Just a solid, old school lager, and there's nothing wrong with that. (632 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured as a dark gold with a thin head that disappeared almost immediately. I was disappointed with that but the carbonation did keep bubbles moving towards the surface continuously.

Smells like dry hops and some corn/grain blend. It smells like your average beer should smell (which isn't a bad thing).

Oddly enough, as advertised, it's actually a dry taste. That's pretty surprising and hard for me to describe but it has a perfect balance between sweet and bitter. It definitely tastes dry and that's a novelty for me thus far.

Mouthfeel is dry as described above. It does fizz nicely in the mouth with excellent carbonation but the sense of dryness prevails over the otherwise excellent mouthful.

I was able to chain a couple of those together but it does have some kick to it. I certainly wouldn't recommend polishing off an entire 6-pack in one go, but a couple of those make for a solid session beer.

Overall, I'd drink this beer again. Especially if I get a hankering for that odd dry sensation that it provides as you drink it. (1,041 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: This brew pours with a frothy white foam. The head dies relatively quickly with spiderweb left on the surface. Color is light golden. Several trails of carbonation observed.

Smell: Sweet light malt is the dominant aroma. Perhaps a little biscuit present.

Taste: The flavor curve if fairly gentle with an interesting "second wind" coming during sustain. The front end is hoppy with average quality hops observed. The label says "dry" and perhaps that is true, because there is a little something there that is hard to describe.

Mouthfeel: I rate the mouthfeel as excellent due to the plentiful carbonation and sustain second flavor kick-in. Very interesting and kind of strange. Maybe this would count as an aftertaste, but I feel it's something beyond that.

Drinkability: This brew is fairly liht, so the drinkability is high. It would be a good summer selection. The interesting "second wind" left me wanting more of this peculiar experience. (959 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap in a sampler at the brewpub.

First thing -- this is not a Czech pilsner! It's an American lager. As such, it's not bad. It is straw colored and clear with a decent white head.

Aroma is light with a hint of floral hops. Inviting.

The flavor is sweet and grainy, probably its weakest point, but still pretty clean and easy to drink. (341 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to shigadeyo from RB for trading this to me. This one pours a light/medium golden with a faint white head and moderate carbonation. Aroma is sort of like candy corn with a hint of citrus. Flavor is pretty sweet. Fairly big corn with touches of tartness. It is actually quite refreshing and would be a decent summer brew. I wouldn't mind having a few more of these. (371 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +29.7%

Maumee brewing has re-created a long-standing Toledo classic beer. The original Buckeye Beer was brewed from 1838 through 1972 when it was absorbed (and killed) by Miller.

Buckeye is a Pilsner that leads off crisply and lightly. The color is consistent with the flavor. It pours a light yellowish shade with a moderate head.

Hops are, to my taste, detectable very early in this beer. The brew leads-off with a hint of sweetness, which works very nicely with spicy and salty foods. The sweetness does not build, however. Instead it gives way elegantly to the finish, which trends somewhat dry.

The initial hints that might lead one to envision "Budweiser", however, give way to a rather unusual finish. To me, the clue is on the label -- "Sparkling Dry..." Sounds like a description suitable to Champagne, and that is the best way I can describe the finish -- Champagne hints.

This beer will not knock your socks off with its opening or its finish. I find it far more subtle, but highly enjoyable and refreshing. (1,017 characters)

Color: Light Yellow
Smell: like grain and light citrus
Taste: Very light clean taste..
Drinkability: Very smooth and light.

Overall: Buckeye is a very average light tasting beer, in no way offensive, but not great by any means. There are Better cheaper beers out there. (271 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -44.9%

Really wanted to love this beer, as I'm from the Toledo area and wanted to show my Cleveland snob beer friends that N.W. Ohio could roll with the big boys...boy, was I mistaken. Purchased in a 12-pack of bottles from the Andersons (great place for beer, BTW). From the first bottle, I noticed the exact difference of a too-hoppy beer -- Buckeye is way too grainy for my taste. I drank it on six separate days with five separate meals, and each time it was lacking and actually gave me a headache most of the time -- that has never, ever happened before. Not a terrible beer on the level of Milwaukee's Best Ice or something, but I won't be buying it again. Bummer. (664 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last