Buckeye Beer - Maumee Bay Brewing Company

Ohio, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: AtLagerHeads on 10-01-2003

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a very nice bubbly golden color with some nice initial head and a bit of nice lacing. Crisp and clean scent, with a bit of nice peppery hops in the aroma, but along with the slightly off-jerky aroma common in some lagers. Good taste, nice and sweet-malty with a good German hop finish to it. Goes down fine, if a bit hop-rough.

3.52/5  rDev +14.3%

Pretty average beer. Good for a session and goes down smooth. Pours a very pale straw gold mostly clear. Big bubbly white head with little retention. Surprisingly good lacing.

Smell was better than I expected. A definite sweet bready malt aroma.

Taste was pretty mild - slightly sweet bready malt balanced by light grassy hops.

Mouthfeel is about average. This is a light bodied beer that is also fairly crisp.

Drinkability is good as a session beer. The abv is not listed but is seems fairly low. Not a bad Pilsner.

2.23/5  rDev -27.6%

Appearance - pours a bright lemony yellow, a snowy cap of maybe a finger. Can't tell for sure, it's gone so quickly, leaving just a scant cover and collar.

Aroma - a fairly average grain, mildly sweet.

Taste - a husky, stale cereal grain flavor. Some apple tartness on the swallow resolving to a bitterness of some kind, or maybe a sourness. Can't tell; either way, it's not too good. It gets a little better as it goes, but stays primarily husky and cereal-like. The main problem here is no presence of anything Saaz-like. This tastes no more like any kind of pilsner than does MGD or Bud.

Mouthfeel - crisp and light to moderate body. Meh.

Drinkability - not that enjoyable but I suppose if I had to...no, no I probably still wouldn't.

3.94/5  rDev +27.9%

12 oz bottle. Nice retro label on the front. "When you're dry... Drink Buckeye" lol.

Pours a very clear, very pale yellow. Almost green. A white head that soon dwindles down to a ring. Smell is super homemade biscuit, very clean and sweet, almost like cornbread. Taste is the same, crisp and sweet. Finishes tart, with decent carbonation. All in all, this is beer that I can easily drink a few of from time to time. Good stuff.

3.49/5  rDev +13.3%

Thanks to RyanS107 for this one I poured it into a pills glass and it produced a good two finger white head that settled to a thick lace across the glass the body was a crystal clear pale yellow in color ( nice looking beer)

I got aromas of bready yeast with some light citric hops. While the mouthfeel is light and crisp with great carbonation.
The flavor of the brew is pale malts sweetness with a light hop dryness in the end . It is a easy drinking brew a step above BMC. It realy reminded me of a PBR or a Narragansett

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of white, foamy head. It is yellow and clear. It looks a lot like a Busch beer. The smell is very sweet. The taste is sweet and bready. It is watery and goes down quite nicely. It's not my favorite style, and I hate the name.

Go Blue!

2.17/5  rDev -29.5%

12 oz. bottle with a red and white label that has a retro drawing of a waiter serving beer. He must be moving fast because they put black streaks behind one of his legs. It's either that or he's tripping. I failed to see a date anywhere on the bottle or label. That's probably because they didn't put one on.

When poured into a Southern Tier pint glass, this retro Sparkling dry beer was a clear as crystal pale straw yellow. It was so pale that it was about a shade up from being a urine yellow. What did the head of foam look like? You have to be joking! The head of foam was nothing but a sad looking faint string of bubbles acting as the head of foam. Pathetic! What was there quickly disappeared into oblivion. It left nothing behind to say that it even was there. Overall, it's a sad appearance from any beer.

I wish I could go in depth about the aroma, but there's not much to write about. It was simply a grainy aroma filled with cheap malted grains. That's it folks! No hops or fruits, just cheap malted grains like corn and rice.

This beer featured a sparkling dry taste of more cheap malted grains. There was a faint hop presence toward the back, but nothing to write home about. I don't care if it's labeled as a Czech Pilsener here, it tasted just like a Macro Lager to me.

This was a light bodied beer with more than enough crispy carbonation and a tiny aftertaste of cheap malted grains and a gentle touch of bitter hops.

Do you know the saying "You get what you paid for?" Well, that's what I get for a $1.25 a bottle. If you want a cheap Macro Lager with a retro label that makes you feel like you stepped back in time, then grab a bottle of this.

2.93/5  rDev -4.9%

This review is going to be identical to my bottle review; I saw no change at all in any aspect in getting it fresh, probably 1. because I'm in the town where it's brewed and 2. I've gotten bottles from the brewpub itself. It's light in all aspects, a little above the standard macro in craft. It seems made for the BMC drinker with a little more care and quality.

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Pale golden color, clear with a cap of white head that quickly diminishes.

Smells of some light grainy malts, nothing outstanding about the scent but nothing off-putting either.

The taste is really good, some nice grain at the forefront balanced with the hops and finishing somewhat dry. Really a good flavor, much better than I was expecting given the appearance and smell of it.

The palate impact was average, decent carbonation level and a nothing really crazy going on there...

Definately a drinkable beer, I think come football season I'll turn my dad on to this pilsner.

3.13/5  rDev +1.6%

Perhaps my review shouldn't count. I spent my childhood 15 miles from the brewery in Bowling Green, Ohio, and am a proud graduate of THE Ohio State University. So I will summon every objective fiber in my body to make an honest review here.

This is an old school lager that knows it's an old school lager, and is damn proud of it. Love the retro label, and brew pours a clear golden yellow, with a soft foamy head on top. It's solid lager in aroma and flavor department. The malt is biscuit-like, the hops is grassy. Right level of carbonation and no of flavors. Just a solid, old school lager, and there's nothing wrong with that.

4.1/5  rDev +33.1%

Maumee brewing has re-created a long-standing Toledo classic beer. The original Buckeye Beer was brewed from 1838 through 1972 when it was absorbed (and killed) by Miller.

Buckeye is a Pilsner that leads off crisply and lightly. The color is consistent with the flavor. It pours a light yellowish shade with a moderate head.

Hops are, to my taste, detectable very early in this beer. The brew leads-off with a hint of sweetness, which works very nicely with spicy and salty foods. The sweetness does not build, however. Instead it gives way elegantly to the finish, which trends somewhat dry.

The initial hints that might lead one to envision "Budweiser", however, give way to a rather unusual finish. To me, the clue is on the label -- "Sparkling Dry..." Sounds like a description suitable to Champagne, and that is the best way I can describe the finish -- Champagne hints.

This beer will not knock your socks off with its opening or its finish. I find it far more subtle, but highly enjoyable and refreshing.

2.53/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Extremely light, clear, high carbonation, and little foam.. Looks like generic cheap beer....

S:Almost salty... hmm.. Not a good sign....

T: Slightly sweet, with a strong barley aftertaste.. Malty and biscuity.. dry indeed.. The taste is a pleasant surprise, considering the bad smell.

M: Light and crisp.. a little slick at the end. Leaves a huh kind of after taste and feel...

D: One and Done. I see no need in buying this again.. but it is something different and new.. worth it for the try.. but don't buy a six pack...

I knew there was a reason why I didn't like Toledo..

3.41/5  rDev +10.7%

A. Pale yellow with a soapy white head with good retention. Has some lace.

S. Corn and malted barley, slight hops.

T. Pretty well balanced. Light malts and noble hops make up most of the flavor profile. A slight astringency coupled with vague roasted grain. A light buttery note. Finishes semi-dry.

M. Mouthfeel is silky smooth, light and carbonated well.

D. This is a very drinkable beer. Glad I got it as a Christmas present. Thanks Jake!

3.65/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours pee yellow with a thinner white head. Nose is slight grain sweet with a skunky edge. Flavor is grainy sweet as well. One dimensional, but consistent, lasting, and fairly smooth. Feel carries a slight thickness to the liquid and the carbonation is fairly full. This is an easy drinker. Combined with the super cool packaging, this could be sold en masse.

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: This brew pours with a frothy white foam. The head dies relatively quickly with spiderweb left on the surface. Color is light golden. Several trails of carbonation observed.

Smell: Sweet light malt is the dominant aroma. Perhaps a little biscuit present.

Taste: The flavor curve if fairly gentle with an interesting "second wind" coming during sustain. The front end is hoppy with average quality hops observed. The label says "dry" and perhaps that is true, because there is a little something there that is hard to describe.

Mouthfeel: I rate the mouthfeel as excellent due to the plentiful carbonation and sustain second flavor kick-in. Very interesting and kind of strange. Maybe this would count as an aftertaste, but I feel it's something beyond that.

Drinkability: This brew is fairly liht, so the drinkability is high. It would be a good summer selection. The interesting "second wind" left me wanting more of this peculiar experience.

3.6/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to shigadeyo from RB for trading this to me. This one pours a light/medium golden with a faint white head and moderate carbonation. Aroma is sort of like candy corn with a hint of citrus. Flavor is pretty sweet. Fairly big corn with touches of tartness. It is actually quite refreshing and would be a decent summer brew. I wouldn't mind having a few more of these.

2.21/5  rDev -28.2%

Appearance is pale yellow with fine easy carbonation defnitely not your typical fizzy beer. Although the head doesn't last too long here, leaves behind thin speckled lacing. Aroma has some tart grainy offness to it with a touch of metallic character. Not a typical hop character for a Czech pils, some honey cracker sweetness in there as well. Flavor is pretty pathetic a lot of underwhelming characteristics with faint tart finish mild biscuit sweetness and some watery hop flavor, pretty much generic beer. Mouthfeel is light with ample carbonation not too dry compared to a true Czech pils. Drinkability is average at best, I bet this beer sells in the Buckeye state despite the fact that the beer isn't all that. I'll pass on my next Buckeye beer, it's just not worthy.

3.13/5  rDev +1.6%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brwon bottle into a standard pint glass. The label is predominantly red and white and depicts a cartoon character waiter carrying a tray with a bottle and a pilsner glass. "When you're dry . . . Drink Buckeye." No visible freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with three fingers of nearly white foam with enough surface tension to rise 1 finger above the rim. This settles slowly to q tick, half finger head. Some lacing. The beer itself is pale yellow and perfectly clear. Lots of activity.

Smell: Slightly spicy and metallic Saaz hops in the nose. Very slight hint of the underlying malt.

Taste: Some hop spice upfront, with very lightly sweet malt. Mild bitterness in the finish with some husky astringency.

Mouthfeel: Average level of carbonation, though the activity continues throughout the beer. Body is average to average plus.

Drinkability: Typically not my style, but this one is refreshing, Just having finished a long run in the August heat, al ight bodied beer with some flavor hits the spot.

2.87/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a clear yellow with a small head that fell quickly. Lots of carbonation. Little to no head retention or lacing.

Grainy smell with some hop aroma. Maybe the slightest hint of honey.

Crisp grain/light malt flavor. Dry finish that is slightly sweet.

Light and refreshing. Goes down easily like most pils.

I grabbed this beer on a whim and I'm glad I tried it. I don't know that I would have more than one at a time, but it would also be good for a hot day.

3.04/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to beervirgin72 for the bottle!
Very light yellow pour with a smallish white head. Smell is cor and grainy like maltiness. Kind of reminds me of the honey smacks cereal with the frog mascot. Taste is sweet maltiness, and is very honey like. Somewhat crisp mouthfeel. Very easy drinking, and this could be my guilty pleasure beer if I lived in Ohio.

3.24/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Pours clear, yellow, and gives about an inch of head. Retention and lacing are both average.

S - Spicy on the nose. Biscuit and earthy aromas are first in line, followed by sharp floral hops. Very nice aroma on this one.

T - Taste was a tad bit bland. Earthy flavors are there but seem muted. Bitter hops are there but are average. As it warms the hops tend to become more dominant (which does give it some appeal).

M - Light bodied with good carbonation. Too light bodied for my taste. There is a dry finish.

D - Drinkability is average. The lack of flavor and body make it go down pretty easy but I would look elsewhere if I wanted a pilsener.

3.4/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured as a dark gold with a thin head that disappeared almost immediately. I was disappointed with that but the carbonation did keep bubbles moving towards the surface continuously.

Smells like dry hops and some corn/grain blend. It smells like your average beer should smell (which isn't a bad thing).

Oddly enough, as advertised, it's actually a dry taste. That's pretty surprising and hard for me to describe but it has a perfect balance between sweet and bitter. It definitely tastes dry and that's a novelty for me thus far.

Mouthfeel is dry as described above. It does fizz nicely in the mouth with excellent carbonation but the sense of dryness prevails over the otherwise excellent mouthful.

I was able to chain a couple of those together but it does have some kick to it. I certainly wouldn't recommend polishing off an entire 6-pack in one go, but a couple of those make for a solid session beer.

Overall, I'd drink this beer again. Especially if I get a hankering for that odd dry sensation that it provides as you drink it.

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

My review for on-tap says this would be a regular drinker for me if I could get it local. Now it's at my favorite beverage store, so gotta try it in the bottle to see if the prediction holds up.

A: Beer head, left quick, really light yellow, clean.

S: Well, it's a beer. a "dry" scent? Oh, that's hops asserting themselves. Like a Pabst. Nothing special.

M: Little hops bitter, mostly sweet corn-pop aftertaste. Watery.

T: Dry. As advertised. The bitter from the hops makes this a little better and it's a bit fresher than others. Step above Pabst but pretty close. Corn pops without the milk is the main note to this.

D: Yeah, I would get this again if I was in the mood for this sort of drink. It's less obtrusive than Pabst so a little more than a lawnmower beer, but I don't like to think about the drink when I want a lawnmower beverage. Eh... Maybe the difference of bottling made this rank lower than when I got it fresh off the tap. So it goes.

3.38/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Medium amber beneath a good-sized crown of ivory colored foam that has a yellowish tint. There's nothing wrong with the lid. It hangs around for a while and deposits a respectable amount of lace in the bargain. The look is unassuming, with no real faults.

My first thought upon popping the cap was 'macro lager'. Now that I'm actually putting my nose over the glass, I feel the same way. Buckeye Beer smells like any of the lagers from BMC, although it has no hint of nastiness. It's just pale grain and a musky German hoppiness. Good thing this stuff doesn't come in clear glass bottles.

Eh, not bad. It's a damn sight better than the more popular lagers noted above, but I won't be counting the days until my next trip to Ohio so I can load up (like I do with Great Lakes, Three Floyds, Founders, etc). To be fair, it does improve a bit as it sits, a concept that BMC lagers are... uh... unfamiliar with.

The malt backbone can't be anything darker than pale malt. It provides flavors of reasonably fresh grain (depending on how fresh the bottle is) and... that's it. The grassy hops (gotta be Saaz) are almost prominent enough for me to agree with the Czech pilsener classification. There's a good sweet-bitter balance, I'll give it that.

The body/mouthfeel doesn't make an impression unless one focuses on it for the purposes of description. It's light-medium in a general sense and doesn't give up the ghost on the back end. Not bad, not bad at all.

I feel like I've already given my conclusion of Buckeye Beer in saying that it isn't something I'm interesting in drinking a second time. The brewery's history is pretty interesting (and the old-time label is great), but the beer is the only thing that really matters in the end. Although I didn't expect excellence, I'm still disappointed that a beer that shares my user name isn't of higher quality.

2.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sample at the brewpub: Clear straw color with an endless stream of bubbles and a wispy white head. Very little lacing is apparent. Light malt and grass aroma. Light-bodied and bland but has flashes of hoppiness here and there. The finish is round and lightly hopped with very little aftertaste. Would be an easy transitional beer from a Macro light but it’s really more of a lateral move than anything. Could try harder.

Buckeye Beer from Maumee Bay Brewing Company