IPA - Maumee Bay Brewing Company

good

Maumee Bay Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: AtLagerHeads on 10-02-2003

Nicely balanced flavorful ale, made bitter with copious amounts of Centennial hops and a long fascinating history. A real treat for hopheads and the brewer’s favorite beer!
1.96/5  rDev -44.3%

Generally I'll try a beer before I see what beeradvocate has to say, and see how it compares. This time I was way off the mark. Bought a 22 oz bottle of this tonight to try something new, and I have to say, this is a really lousy IPA. the 82 average it has here is very generous. The beer has essentially one flavor note, which is a cloying and overly sweet flavor I've really never even experienced in an IPA before. To make matters worse, this flavors seems to attack the entire inside of your mouth due to the immense over-carbonation of the beer. With the relatively thin body and intense carbonation, this beer can actually burn the inside of your mouth slightly.

The appearance of the beer is a pretty average cloudy copper, and the smell is the same as the flavor. The beer pours with a giant head, mostly due to its over-carbonation.

This is definitely one to be avoided in my book. It is just not a quality IPA.

2.53/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Home Slice Pizza upstairs bar. I am spending the evening in Toledo and not having much luck at finding a fine locally crafted brew.

Color is decent but beer seems a bit flat in the glass with almost no head. No real lacing, just some thin foam clinging to the side a bit.

Almost no boldness at all to any hop character. Mostly malt and unwaranted bitterness. Just a slight bit of fruit is the only redeeming trait. One and done on this one!

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

2.79/5  rDev -20.7%

Appearance – This is a nice, thick, brownish-orange in color with tons of floaties and a pure white head that showed good retention.

Smell – This is billed as mainly centennial but there’s a funky feet kind of aroma to this hop profile that’s a bit off-putting.

Taste – The funk stays at the nose which is a relief. The hops though don’t fare too well at the taste and the malt is shallow which I didn’t expect. This thing foamed up like a banshee on the pour but now seems to have pretty much wimped out.

Mouthfeel – This is a solid medium-bodied with way too much carbonation for the style.

Drinkability – This was not a classic example of the style. It’s not bad, but something went wrong in the manufacturing process. It’s overcarbonated, under hopped, and lacks a solid malt backbone. Too bad because Maumee is right in my backyard, I went to MVCDS as a kid in grade school, so I really wanted to like this beer but it just didn’t cut the mustard.

2.79/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Poured a nice golden orange…tons of bubbles throughout the beer with an inch thick mother-of-pearl colored head that lasted for several minutes…very inviting…(4/5)

Smell: Mildly aromatic…Malt base with floral and citrus hops…has a classic I.P.A. scent, therefore nothing distinct that separates it from the large field that is the super hop market…(3/5)

Taste: A fairly average I.P.A. flavor, pale malts seem to be the centerpiece flavor here that last throughout taste…floral, citrusy hops definitely counterbalancing initial malt flavor, though I’d say almost to a detriment…bitter to very bitter after a couple of sips and a few minutes…(2.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Very basic…carbonation fluffs flavor throughout my mouth, but there really is too much there…washes down easily leaving mild hop blanket in the middle of my tongue…(2.75/5)

Overall: This is an alright I.P.A., the flavor is good, but not distinct in any fashion…malt character goes well with citrus and floral hops creating a very drinkable beer…Would I drink this one again, yeah, but I would also take a flier on something I hadn’t tried before first…(2.75/5)

2.8/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy burnt amber, small white head that fades quickly but leaves decent lacing and retention; there is some sediment/floaties in the mix. The aromas are pretty subtle and full of caramel malts along with some pine needles. Flavors have hints of orange peel and pine resin. Lots of caramel and toffee in the mix. Pretty malty. This one does have subtle fruitiness to it, but barely. This one is bittersweet. The bitterness is far from overpowering and seems to be dominated by the malts. It's not that the flavors are horrible, they just don't pop and isn't what I believe most IPA lovers are looking for. The mouthfeel is the best part, in my opinion. It's extremely fluffy and creamy with active carbonation. The mouthfeel makes this one extremely smooth. The alcohol goes unnoticed.

This is one of those IPAs that tastes old even though it's relatively fresh. It's really nothing special. I'm sure there are people out there that appreciate this kind of attempt at the style, but it's not for me.

2.89/5  rDev -17.9%

Got this on a tip, and it is a very strange beer. Overall I think if it was called a Saison or Biere de Garde with a little extra hops I would have rated it better, but there it is.

A: Very nice pinky of white bubbly head and leaving huge legs of lacing. Orange semi clear look.

S/T: Interesting and certainly not characteristic of an IPA in both smell and taste. At first I likened it to a style from a brewery an hour north in Jolly Pumpkin because of the dirty farmhouse Belgian yeasty Saison notes and the dry and crisp malts of a Biere de Garde. Some fruity hops but not much. Just a bubblegum like taste and smell overall with maybe a tinge of tartness, though perhaps thats my palate putting that in there since the malts and yeast seem like tartness would be welcomed here. Not oxidized to my palate, just an off recipe and style.

M: Nice carbonation and pretty effervescent.

O: Not true to style in really any means, and I feel I can say that with all the IPAs I've had. It's not a bad beer, but it's not an IPA.

2.91/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip on 8/18/11

Hazy browned orange hue. One finger cap of foam dissipates slowly. Thin, but consistent layer of retention with a decent amount of lacing.

Pine is the most notable hop aroma, though spritzes of citrus zest are stitched together with a very faint grassiness. Malt notes of caramel and biscuit. An hint of yeast, too. Smells on the tame side of things. Tastes alright; not great but we'll see how it progresses. Piney bitterness stays solid throughout, building over time. A bit of grassiness hangs on but citric notions are pretty much buried. Toasted bread and caramel; toasted bread works for me - the caramel, not so much. At first it seemed a tad thin but I'll call it medium body. Carbonation is active enough without being harsh. Finishes with residual bitterness.

Though not entirely what I look for in an IPA, this is a pretty good take on the "balanced" approach. If nothing else, the hops seem to have been done up well. I have no idea how old the bottle is and I'd like to try this again when freshness is guaranteed.

2.96/5  rDev -15.9%

India Pale Ale is a rather hazy copper color. Backlighting gives it an orange tint that’s rather attractive. An off-white head tops it and stands about a finger or so tall. It falls pretty quickly, but leaves a rather sticky web of lace lining the glass. Not bad.

The nose is below average. It’s lacking in strength and doesn’t have any pizzazz. It smells a little sugary sweet up front, but I’m not getting any caramel. That’s a positive. There are some hoppy notes, but they don’t really stand out. There’s a hint of citrus orange and some light floral and spicy notes. Nothing comes through very strong. Alcohol is blended well for what it’s worth.

The flavor is pretty average. It is a little better than the nose, thus the score bump. The base consists of mostly pale malt. There’s a hint of sweetness, but there are no caramel or toffee flavors. The hop flavor is just okay. It needs more in terms of flavor. Citrus orange and floral notes are the centerpiece. It is a bit bitter and dry. Alcohol isn’t much of a factor. It’s alright. It honestly just needs a little bump in hop flavor or diversity to make it more interesting.

The body falls on the light side of medium, and feels a bit thin for the style. I’m the lack of caramel malts is partly responsible. Carbonation is rather light. It’s not smooth, but it’s not bad. Mouthfeel is probably one of its stronger points. It goes down alright, but the flavor grows a bit tiresome.

India Pale Ale isn’t a bad release from Maumee Bay Brewing Company, but it isn’t exactly a good one either. The flavor is just okay. It needs a stronger, more diverse hop flavor. As it is, the flavor is definitely overshadowed by its bitterness. The nose could definitely use some work. Eh. It’s just okay.

3.01/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a red-orange color that is completely clear. A nice fluffy white head that laces throughout the beer sits on top without any carbonation.
Smell has a nice bit of citrus and grapefruit hops to it. However, I had to take almost ten strong wafts of this beer to attempt to get a good smell on it. The aroma ALMOST gets where I want it to, but kept falling short.
Taste is similar to the smell. It has a faint hint of citrus hops, but falls short of what I would like.
Mouthfeel is thinner than I would like. There is no carbonation, so the beer ends drier than I would like too.
Drinkability is okay on this beer. The undertoned hops and good balance make this beer very drinkable. But there is not enough taste to want to drink a lot of this beer.

3.06/5  rDev -13.1%

A simple beer to start off New Year's Eve. 22oz bottle picked up at the brewery 1 week ago, 7.0% ABV on the label, along with this description: "This medium bodied IPA has great characteristics created by the copious amount of Centennial hops used when brewing it. The English Pale and American Crystal malts keep this hophead treat nicely balanced. Something something 80 IBUs something".

It pours a clear copper, SRM of 10 or so, with a wet looking spitty head. The aromas isn't bad but doesn't fully deliver for me, more toasted malt component than I want which balances the more-spicy-than-floral hops. A little citrus.

The hops come through in the flavor mainly through bitterness, again not bad per se but not really anything special. The aftertaste is only bitter, possibly a few changes to the hops profile would satisfy me more.

Solid enough and I'd order it if I was at the brewpub, but I'd prefer to see something with similar flavors as the Amarillo Brillo, which is more special.

3.08/5  rDev -12.5%

on tap at Maumee Bay brewpub in Toledo.

This is a deep orangish-amber color. with a bone-colored head of moderate size and excellent duration. Overly bitter given the levels of hop-based aromatics and flavors. Hop component features earthy and piney notes.

Medium-light carbonation with a medium body.

3.12/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On draft from the pub.

Pours a golden hue that is cloudy. Carbonation present. A little head.

Can't observe much smell.

Taste is of hops with malt finishes.

The finish is quite abrupt and bitey. Clears palette quickly and I think it could use more body. Sippable but not much to write home about.

3.12/5  rDev -11.4%

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I think this is two in a row bad singles from Saveon. A bit disconcerting. This one poured with large sediment particles. I can't imagine that it was supposed to be like that. The aroma is just slightly skunky but otherwise a nice mix of hoppy and malty.

The taste is also a fairly nice balance of bitter hops and a little bit of malt. There is a little off (infected) taste, but not pronounced. The aftertaste is bitter and also slightly funky.

I think this is a better effort than other Maumee's I've tried (and I have another to try later), but I also think that this was a bad bottle that I was sold on Thursday. That's two bad bottles in the same day. I don't like being a curmudgeon, but I will need to talk to the retailer.

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%