IPA - Maumee Bay Brewing Company

good

Maumee Bay Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: AtLagerHeads on 10-02-2003

Nicely balanced flavorful ale, made bitter with copious amounts of Centennial hops and a long fascinating history. A real treat for hopheads and the brewer’s favorite beer!
3.98/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a hazed orange with a small oily head. Aroma of juicy hops, citrus, and caramel malts. In the taste, grapefruit, slightly earthy with pronounced bitterness. Caramel malt backs the citrusy hop profile. Citrus fruit lingers into the semi dry, hoppy bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, goes down smoothly. Overall, I would recommend this beer to any lover of IPAs, as it is quite good.

3.3/5  rDev -6%

A bomber bottle purchased at the brewery complex (in the cafe to be exact).

A: The IPA is a golden brown color, coppery amber through and through. The ale retains its transparency, even picking up a bit of a radiant glow. Over two fingers of white head leave isolated patches of lace behind.

S: Mild citrus aromas waft out of my glass, definitely IPA. Those aromas aren't intensely strong though, just there. Plenty of biscuity breads there too.

T: The biscuity grains come through first, a strong start to the ale. Hops follow with citrus flavors but they aren't up to the task. The hops get more vegetal as they go along. Nothing off-putting, just plain.

M: The mouthfeel is grainy with light biscuits. Hops pop through occassionally but don't bring a pop with them.

3.04/5  rDev -13.4%

on tap at Maumee Bay brewpub in Toledo.

This is a deep orangish-amber color. with a bone-colored head of moderate size and excellent duration. Overly bitter given the levels of hop-based aromatics and flavors. Hop component features earthy and piney notes.

Medium-light carbonation with a medium body.

3.05/5  rDev -13.1%

A simple beer to start off New Year's Eve. 22oz bottle picked up at the brewery 1 week ago, 7.0% ABV on the label, along with this description: "This medium bodied IPA has great characteristics created by the copious amount of Centennial hops used when brewing it. The English Pale and American Crystal malts keep this hophead treat nicely balanced. Something something 80 IBUs something".

It pours a clear copper, SRM of 10 or so, with a wet looking spitty head. The aromas isn't bad but doesn't fully deliver for me, more toasted malt component than I want which balances the more-spicy-than-floral hops. A little citrus.

The hops come through in the flavor mainly through bitterness, again not bad per se but not really anything special. The aftertaste is only bitter, possibly a few changes to the hops profile would satisfy me more.

Solid enough and I'd order it if I was at the brewpub, but I'd prefer to see something with similar flavors as the Amarillo Brillo, which is more special.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a mostly clear orange/amber color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention is good, and there's a decent amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is citrusy (grapefruit, orange peel) and pine hops, along with some sweet malt. Taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, but there's the addition of some spicy hops and bready malt. Nice lingering bitter finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and sticky with good carbonation. It's smooth and goes down easy. I think it's an enjoyable brew, not bad for $4.99 a bottle. I think it's worth a try.

So...I took home a growler and reviewed it and my review was deleted. Not sure why.

The review is going to be the same all-around as my on-tap review. On opening the growler (having given it as much time as I do any other), I was pleased to discover that this is the least affected by its growler storage and, in fact, having no noticeable changes made to its character in any way that I could detect. I still got a firm head with the same retention and leaving the same amount of lacing, the aroma was just as firm and identical to what I first noticed, the flavor was likewise, no carbonation was lost and the mouthfeel was just as lively. Obviously, then, drinkability was unaffected as well. Therefore, to know my scores and notes, simply refer to my on-tap review.

2.8/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance – This is a nice, thick, brownish-orange in color with tons of floaties and a pure white head that showed good retention.

Smell – This is billed as mainly centennial but there’s a funky feet kind of aroma to this hop profile that’s a bit off-putting.

Taste – The funk stays at the nose which is a relief. The hops though don’t fare too well at the taste and the malt is shallow which I didn’t expect. This thing foamed up like a banshee on the pour but now seems to have pretty much wimped out.

Mouthfeel – This is a solid medium-bodied with way too much carbonation for the style.

Drinkability – This was not a classic example of the style. It’s not bad, but something went wrong in the manufacturing process. It’s overcarbonated, under hopped, and lacks a solid malt backbone. Too bad because Maumee is right in my backyard, I went to MVCDS as a kid in grade school, so I really wanted to like this beer but it just didn’t cut the mustard.

2.98/5  rDev -15.1%

India Pale Ale is a rather hazy copper color. Backlighting gives it an orange tint that’s rather attractive. An off-white head tops it and stands about a finger or so tall. It falls pretty quickly, but leaves a rather sticky web of lace lining the glass. Not bad.

The nose is below average. It’s lacking in strength and doesn’t have any pizzazz. It smells a little sugary sweet up front, but I’m not getting any caramel. That’s a positive. There are some hoppy notes, but they don’t really stand out. There’s a hint of citrus orange and some light floral and spicy notes. Nothing comes through very strong. Alcohol is blended well for what it’s worth.

The flavor is pretty average. It is a little better than the nose, thus the score bump. The base consists of mostly pale malt. There’s a hint of sweetness, but there are no caramel or toffee flavors. The hop flavor is just okay. It needs more in terms of flavor. Citrus orange and floral notes are the centerpiece. It is a bit bitter and dry. Alcohol isn’t much of a factor. It’s alright. It honestly just needs a little bump in hop flavor or diversity to make it more interesting.

The body falls on the light side of medium, and feels a bit thin for the style. I’m the lack of caramel malts is partly responsible. Carbonation is rather light. It’s not smooth, but it’s not bad. Mouthfeel is probably one of its stronger points. It goes down alright, but the flavor grows a bit tiresome.

India Pale Ale isn’t a bad release from Maumee Bay Brewing Company, but it isn’t exactly a good one either. The flavor is just okay. It needs a stronger, more diverse hop flavor. As it is, the flavor is definitely overshadowed by its bitterness. The nose could definitely use some work. Eh. It’s just okay.

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

Thanks to my Canadian friend, mowog, for stopping by the brewery and bringing a fresh growler down to my place in Kentucky. This pours a clear amber body with a small, offwhite head. Good retention and lots of patchy lace.
Aroma has a soft, fruity nose with orange and apricot esters. Excellent caramel malt base offers up a toffee smelling underbelly.
Mouthfeel is silky, medium bodied, with a delicate carbonation.
Taste has a smooth caramel malt base, accented by mellow notes of apricot, pineapple, and orange. Some citrus rind bitterness is barely enough to even out the sweet tropical fruitiness.
Definitely, a different interpretation of an American IPA, but an excellent one. Very well balanced, softly hopped, and highly drinkable.

3.49/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is burnt orange with amber and golden highlights. An inch of beige head settles to a thin layer on top.

S - I smell some caramel malt, citrus, and a little bit of alcohol.

T - The first thing I notice is a lot of malt. Then the citrus hops come into play. I also notice some alcohol.

M - Medium

O - It almost tastes like an old IPA. I saw no bottling date, so I have no idea how old this bottle is. I was hoping this would be a good beer because I really like their other bottled selection. It is okay, but I would like to try it on tap to see if there is a freshness issue.

2.93/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip on 8/18/11

Hazy browned orange hue. One finger cap of foam dissipates slowly. Thin, but consistent layer of retention with a decent amount of lacing.

Pine is the most notable hop aroma, though spritzes of citrus zest are stitched together with a very faint grassiness. Malt notes of caramel and biscuit. An hint of yeast, too. Smells on the tame side of things. Tastes alright; not great but we'll see how it progresses. Piney bitterness stays solid throughout, building over time. A bit of grassiness hangs on but citric notions are pretty much buried. Toasted bread and caramel; toasted bread works for me - the caramel, not so much. At first it seemed a tad thin but I'll call it medium body. Carbonation is active enough without being harsh. Finishes with residual bitterness.

Though not entirely what I look for in an IPA, this is a pretty good take on the "balanced" approach. If nothing else, the hops seem to have been done up well. I have no idea how old the bottle is and I'd like to try this again when freshness is guaranteed.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

4.22/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured from a "bomber" bottle into a standard pint glass.
Tawny gold in color, with a nice, two-inch head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Faint biscuit,citrussy hop note
Taste-Toasted malt , biscuit, nectarine, then a mingling of citrussy hops, grapefruit and rind-like bitterness. Although listed at 80 IBU's on the bottle, the bitterness is not heavyhanded at all, but nicely balances the toasted malt and fruit.
Overall, very fresh, well-balanced, flavorfull, and affordable(4.99 for a bomber). A pleasant, tasty, session-worthy offering from a local brewery here in Toledo. Well worth it if you're in the area.

3.24/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I think this is two in a row bad singles from Saveon. A bit disconcerting. This one poured with large sediment particles. I can't imagine that it was supposed to be like that. The aroma is just slightly skunky but otherwise a nice mix of hoppy and malty.

The taste is also a fairly nice balance of bitter hops and a little bit of malt. There is a little off (infected) taste, but not pronounced. The aftertaste is bitter and also slightly funky.

I think this is a better effort than other Maumee's I've tried (and I have another to try later), but I also think that this was a bad bottle that I was sold on Thursday. That's two bad bottles in the same day. I don't like being a curmudgeon, but I will need to talk to the retailer.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

An English style IPA with substantial, but reserved hop presence. The body is a hazy amber with a big white head and surprisingly good lacing. The nose is much less hoppy than expected and still does not play to the malt side, but both are there and nicely supporting one another.

The hops are also well established in the taste, but in the English tradition with little tendency to dominate the presentation. This is exceedingly smooth and creamy cask ale, so smooth in fact as to have less body sense than I'd like.

Definitely a good effort from this brewpub.

2.85/5  rDev -18.8%

Got this on a tip, and it is a very strange beer. Overall I think if it was called a Saison or Biere de Garde with a little extra hops I would have rated it better, but there it is.

A: Very nice pinky of white bubbly head and leaving huge legs of lacing. Orange semi clear look.

S/T: Interesting and certainly not characteristic of an IPA in both smell and taste. At first I likened it to a style from a brewery an hour north in Jolly Pumpkin because of the dirty farmhouse Belgian yeasty Saison notes and the dry and crisp malts of a Biere de Garde. Some fruity hops but not much. Just a bubblegum like taste and smell overall with maybe a tinge of tartness, though perhaps thats my palate putting that in there since the malts and yeast seem like tartness would be welcomed here. Not oxidized to my palate, just an off recipe and style.

M: Nice carbonation and pretty effervescent.

O: Not true to style in really any means, and I feel I can say that with all the IPAs I've had. It's not a bad beer, but it's not an IPA.

IPA from Maumee Bay Brewing Company