1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Broken Bat Kolsch - Maumee Bay Brewing Company

Broken Bat Kolsch
No picture uploaded.
good

Maumee Bay Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Kölsch |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: AtLagerHeads on 10-02-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 14 | Reviews: 2 | Show All Ratings:
Brenden

3.68/5  rDev +2.8%

After my wife and I got a pitcher, I decided to take home and review a growler after we'd had a pint on tap because 1) we liked it and 2)a much better head alters the appearance score, being superior from the growler than the tap.

From the color, no one would ever suspect this one of being a Kolsch; by far the darkest I've seen of this style, albeit it a pale amber color that's fairly light. Still, more orange than yellow. This time, a sticky, fluffy one finger tall head forms and takes some time to fade, remaining steady all the way. The head is sticky and clings nicely to the glass.
The aroma is light but stronger than many efforts at this style, but I don't get all of the character I did when I first had it, and there's mostly a grainy presence with none of the soft subtlety that makes a great Kolsch. Hops are more assertive than is typical, though not heavy by any stretch, and an unassertive fruity/vinous smell stands over the grains backing.
The flavor follows suit, with the light hops presence balancing a clean, dry malt and the more prominent fruits remaining over a grains backing. It's light while remaining somewhat flavorful, though I wouldn't honestly tag it as a Kolsch particularly.
The body is on the light side of medium with a crisp bite on the tongue and a lively feel from a spritzy but level carbonation.
I liked this more the first time I had it; not sure if something changed.

Serving type: growler

09-03-2010 20:19:02 | More by Brenden
AtLagerHeads

3.93/5  rDev +9.8%

One of the best of this style I've ever tasted. This is an incredibly good looking ale - a brilliant light gold body with a huge head and near complete coverage of the glass down the drink from the very sticky white lace.

As expected the nose is light and a bit nondescript beyond some light citrus notes, still, there it is reminding that there is a light and refreshing brew waiting to be tasted.

The taste is very clean and refreshing. This is very nicely balanced ale that finishes with a dry, crisp ending. The feel is light yet substantive. This is an incredibly drinkable beer. Well done, brewmaster.

10-02-2003 02:43:42 | More by AtLagerHeads