Total Eclipse Breakfast Stout - Maumee Bay Brewing Company

Maumee Bay Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Beer added by: buschbeer on 04-18-2010

Maumee Bay Brewing Company’s Total Eclipse Breakfast Stout is a hearty meal in a glass. As it pours, it devours the light and your glass is filled with darkness. This massive beer brewed with espresso beans (from Flying Rhino in Toledo, OH), oatmeal, and lactose offers a rich and complex taste that begs to be savored. With a smooth carbonation and luscious roasted malt flavor, you will fade to black as you slowly sip this finely crafted brew. We recommend serving at 45-50 degrees in your favorite snifter. It’s nothing but total bliss from Maumee Bay Brewing Co.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

This is my first review so here we go...

Served on tap at the brewpub in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Just plain black with a carmel colored one finger head that held up well.

Smell: smells of coffee, bits of chocolate and some malty notes.

Taste: Coffee, malty, coffee, chocolate, and more a good way. The finishing flavors are nice.

Mouth: Thick, coats the mouth like it should.

Obviously I liked it if it was worth making my first review. Need to go back and get a growler to take back to NW Indiana with me before I leave town.

Well done Maumee Bay.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Taken home three nights ago...notes are fresh.

This one pours out a deep, rich dark brown.Surprisingly, I still get a one finger head with fair retention and light to moderate lacing on the glass.
The smell is what I was hoping for: rich, deep roasted malts with all the bittersweet dark chocolate nuances and, not to seem repetitive, but a very rich dark roast coffee presence as well.
The taste follows suit,and it's no wonder; this one is a collaboration between MBBC and a local gourmet coffee and chocolate producer, and their product is excellent. This is the combination connoisseurs and beer advocates dream of.
The mouthfeel is nearly as big, thick, rich, and robust as off the tap, though it's thinned just a little.
I'd love to sip this at any time of day, all day long. A high ABV lowers drinkability, but I'd be daring enough to hold this up against Founder's Breakfast stout or any of the big boys. It's not better (they are amazing, after all), but I can honestly say I believe it's as good.

4.79/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer more or less comes off as being some kind of coffee milkshake. It is probably the thickest beer I have ever had but it tastes like nothing more than coffee. It smells as if one is walking down the coffee aisle at the store and looks like motor oil. There was about a half an inch caramel head as well. I did not even taste the alcohol and these just kept going down so smoothly. Blown away that Maumee Bay did something so good.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I poured from my growler into my glass. I got one finger of brown head. It is black. The aroma is dark roasted malt and coffee. The taste is delicious. It has a nice coffee presence, but not a bitter, black coffee taste. It's like coffee with cream in it. It has a nice viscous mouthfeel. This is one of the best coffee stouts that I have encountered.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last