Toasted Coconut Stout - Maumee Bay Brewing Company

Beer added by: Brenden on 09-06-2010

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.1/5  rDev n/a

I'm going to call this a bottle review. What really happened is that there was an infection, probably in the fermentation tanks, in this beer when it was released. Interestingly, nobody complained and I wouldn't be surprised if some people liked it. Anyway, at our local tasting the homebrewer whose recipe this beer is had brought some bottled and let us try it as it was supposed to be. This is my review of that bottle.

This very dark brown beer, edging on black, has a soft brown head that forms at just over one finger. Retention is good, and when the head dissipates a strong layer remains which leaves patchy lacing.
What was more of a charred wood/charcoal aroma is, in fact, a nicely smoky/woody aroma. Light notes of unsweetened dark chocolate and a touch of coffee are part of a very strong malt backbone. This is much more of what I expected, with just a touch of milky coconut sweetness lingering.
Instead of acridity and a pungent tang, this is all big malts, bringing light notes of wood, smoke, coffee and bittersweet chocolate with something like a very subtle lactic touch and a very lightly sweet finish to balance it out with some shredded coconut throughout.
The body is rich and full, proper for a stout and fairly smooth as well.
I'm not sure what the ABV is on this, but it's not kicking my face in. What I got on tap I wouldn't get again; this I definitely would.

Toasted Coconut Stout from Maumee Bay Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.