Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager - Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House

Wild Huckleberry Wheat LagerWild Huckleberry Wheat Lager

good

Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House visit their website
Montana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

A light lager blended with real Montana huckleberry juice. Not bitter or overly sweet; extremely refreshing.

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-08-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by sAws:
sAws

3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

Bought a bottle from the brewery so it was nice and "fresh".

Pours a translucent yellow with decent head. Smells like sweet fresh huckleberry's. Taste of beer is slightly sweet with a hint of bitter and finishes like a lager. It is a good afternoon or desert beer but not something I could drink alot of.

06-22-2012 15:16:27 | More by sAws
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

I know that the huckleberry is quite similar to the blueberry, but I still find huckleberries a bit on the exotic side, especially since I'd only ever had them in beer before my recent trip to Montana. Now I have Huckleberry Vodka, Huckleberry Tea, and of course, this Huckleberry beer, one of a few that I procured stateside.

This beer pours a cloudy, pale straw colour, with one finger of fizzy white head, which disappears in an instant, leaving some random specks of lace around the glass. The aroma is pretty much evident from a foot away - sweet and tangy huckleberries, and upon closer inspection, a wheaty maltiness. The taste is a balanced huckleberry fruitiness - sweet and acidic, with a nice, light wheat graininess sitting right behind. The carbonation is average, and unobtrusive, the body light and zingy, and it finishes dry and fruity.

A very nice, refreshing wheat beer, which just the right amount of the eponymous fruit character. Perfect for a hot summer day's quaffing.

08-24-2010 22:29:39 | More by biboergosum
ElGordo

Oregon

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

Had to drink this one out of the bottle due to lack of a glass on a camping trip. Sweet, fruity aroma. More of the same on the palate - sweet, almost like a cherry soda. A bit too candy-ish for my taste. If you like sweet stuff, though, maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did.

05-25-2004 20:52:13 | More by ElGordo
zimm421

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

07-09-2014 21:19:19 | More by zimm421
drinkin-beeers

06-18-2014 01:45:11 | More by drinkin-beeers
joemcgrath27

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

A - clear straw golden, solid white head retained very nicely with lots of bubbles rising from the bottom
S - strong aromas of grainy wheat, some adjunct like notes, leafy hops, and pleasant berries
T - robust sweet and slightly tart berry flavour, bready wheat backbone with some leafy hop notes, a very refreshing taste
M - effervescent carbonation with a light body, light tartness to finish
O - a very tasty beer with a nice balance of malt-hops-fruit, this would make a great summer sessioner

02-05-2012 02:45:00 | More by joemcgrath27
AaronRed

2.42/5  rDev -32.6%

I do feel somewhat unqualified to review this beer. I normally do not like fruit beers, nor do I think I have ever experienced the flavor of huckleberry (or so I think). That being said, I found this beer not pleasant for me. Had this been a style that I like, my review may have been lower. It poured with almost no head at all, and looked like cider. Huge aroma- sweet and sugary yet also flowery. It says this beer has honey in it and you can taste it. It really tasted more like a mead- except it is not. For people who do not like beer, this may be acceptable. I could not finish it.

09-19-2004 12:08:02 | More by AaronRed
malcolm723

Washington

4.58/5  rDev +27.6%

I always get this on tap at the brewery on my trips to Montana.
Light gold appearence. Thin white lace. Has a mix of wheat and berry taste. Kinda on the sweet side, I could deffinentaly taste the huckleberry. A tad bit watery for me. This beer would be great on a nice hot day after working on the lawn.

10-07-2006 23:07:38 | More by malcolm723
jcalabre

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

I originally sampled this beer a few year ago while I was on vacation in Montana. I went to the brewery and had this beer in bottles. This is a unique, crisp wheat beer. I tried it as a novelty, because of the huckleberries. I really enjoyed it. The huckleberries really work well because of their tart/sweet flavor.
I hadn't seen or taste huckleberries until I had gone to Montana. They are about the size of a pea; slightly darker in color than a blueberry and bright red on the inside. They have a very tangy flavor.

08-08-2003 03:32:05 | More by jcalabre
cbutova

4.01/5  rDev +11.7%

Reviewed at Rising Sun CG, Glacier National Park, MT. Full notes taken on my phone while out of service area.

A- Pours from the 12oz bottle to a goblet with a slightly hazy pale yellow body that has the tiniest hue towards huckleberry. A white crown rests atop the beer at one finger and is foamt thick in texture. Thick ring leaves sheets and spots of lace.

S- Fairly straightforward but brings good strength. Huckleberries reside atop a bready lager yeast reminding me of something sweet I would have at breakfast.

T- Huckleberry is once again the main player as it was in the aroma but the base beer is strong and balances it out. Semi sweet berries slathered on crusty wheat toast with some bready tones from the yeast. Kind of reminds me of a pancake.

MF- The body overall is medium thickness with a foamy and silky texture. Carbonation at a high level causes the beer to puff up like a pillow.

Reminds me of the blueberry beers that are done correctly. Authentic berry flavor with a foamy body and slight sweetness. The underlying yeast makes it all come together like a breakfast bread. Drinks very well in Glacier National Park, Montana.

07-14-2014 04:51:25 | More by cbutova
Mikexw

08-17-2014 15:52:17 | More by Mikexw
BigBry

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Brown 12oz bottle, no alc listed, brought back from Montana Trip. Also got to sample on tap at the brewery tasting room. Pours a cloudy golden yellow color, one inch of white bubbly foam that left some thin lacing. Smells of fruity berries and lots of yeasty aroma from this unfiltered beer. Tastes like a yeasty wheat beer with just enough tang from the berries to give a fruity flavor. Kind of a thin mouthfeel (on purpose I assume) makes it light tasting, refreshing and easy to drink summer beer. Unique beer featuring wild Montana huckleberries.

04-08-2006 18:14:15 | More by BigBry

05-12-2014 21:58:27 | More by neckbeered
BPenni

New Mexico

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

I received a sixer of this beer as a gift from a blog-buddy in Montana.

Very nice. I was a little apprehensive at first, as I don't particularly like fruity beers. But my apprehension disappeared once I tasted this beer. The aroma of huckleberries is strong and sweet, belying the actual taste... which is smooth, slightly hoppy, and NOT as overly sweet as the aroma might indicate. Mouthfeel is pleasant, with a slight aftertaste. Very, very drinkable... I could do a lot of this beer if I lived in Montana!

05-23-2009 02:07:12 | More by BPenni
Iamjeff6

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

07-16-2014 14:25:05 | More by Iamjeff6
dwarbi

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

This is a very interesting beer. Doesn't look like much. No head to speak of. No lacing. But the beer is a slightly clouded orange-straw color. Smell those huckles! Tastes very refreshing. There's a slight wheat flavor. I'm teetering on the mouthfeel. It's nice and crisp at first, but the aftertaste is a little too tangy. I guess it gets you to taste more to get rid of the aftertaste and have some more of the good taste.

09-08-2003 00:14:55 | More by dwarbi

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

12-24-2013 17:45:35 | More by troobie
Sark

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance- huge 2 1/2 finger white head, golden and slightly hazy

Smell- a little sour and sweet from the hucks, the tart has a bit of yeast behind it

Taste- light breadiness up front almost immediately yields to the sweet berry middle, paler malts round it out with a slight hop touch. The yeast comes back for the finish

Mouthfeel- light body with a smooth feel

Overall- even with an adjunct as strong as hucks it keeps the style rather well. Definitely something nice and summery to sip on.

09-18-2013 03:04:56 | More by Sark
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager from Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House