Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager - Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House

Wild Huckleberry Wheat LagerWild Huckleberry Wheat Lager

good

Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House visit their website
Montana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 08-08-2003

A light lager blended with real Montana huckleberry juice. Not bitter or overly sweet; extremely refreshing.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 53 | Reviews: 25
3.71/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Really not a bad beer at all for the style. I am pretty cautious of fruit/berry beers but I am in Montana for a week and really wanted to get a good feel for a lot of the local beers here. And Huckleberries seem to be huge in these parts, so I figured, "Why not?"

First off, I really missed the part about this being a "wheat lager." Pay attention to that as I think it is an important factor in why this beer actually works. I have had huckleberry ales and it just doesnt work. But the the smooth, crispy flavor of the wheat combined with the huckleberry really works. It looks like a lager but a lot more cloudy. The aroma is basically just fresh, handpicked huckleberries. Has a smooth, refreshing mouthfeel. All in all, relative to what this beer is trying to do, and in comparison to others that have attempted the same thing, I say this is a very worthy beer! I will do my best to find it somewhere back home.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'm very skeptical about beers like this, but here goes...I'm seriously running out of beers in my town to review- I've almost tried them all! Good thing we have some new micro breweries opening up...

A moderate pour produces about a 3/4 inch head that proves fairly sticky. The beer is a hazy pale ruddy golden with high carbonation.

Really just a hint of berry on the nose, with no adjuncty aromas. The flavor is subtle, and it actually tastes like real huckleberries, but is not overly sweet. A touch of yeast adds some spice, but the flavor, finish, and aftertaste are quite clean. In particular, it avoids that God-awful fake saccarine taste that I've experienced in other fruity wheat beers (Leinies Sunset- yuck). It has the creamy, frothy mouth feel typical of a wheat beer.

This is undoubtedly the best berry beer I've ever tasted, with the possible exception of one of those Belgian types (whatchmacallthose?), but they tend to be over-sweet and barely have any alcohol. Hmm....

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a very nicely executed fruit beer. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but huckleberries tend to grow in places where I fish, bike, ski and camp. Consequently, I've had to assume the "when in Rome" mantra and dive in from time to time. This version is subtle - it pours a nice golden colour with a typical lager head and a faint whiff of fruit. The actual fruit flavour is quite subtle and pleasant. I won't go out of my way to find this beer, but I won't get of the way if it's in my path.

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

4.01/5  rDev +9.6%

Reviewed at Rising Sun CG, Glacier National Park, MT. Full notes taken on my phone while out of service area.

A- Pours from the 12oz bottle to a goblet with a slightly hazy pale yellow body that has the tiniest hue towards huckleberry. A white crown rests atop the beer at one finger and is foamt thick in texture. Thick ring leaves sheets and spots of lace.

S- Fairly straightforward but brings good strength. Huckleberries reside atop a bready lager yeast reminding me of something sweet I would have at breakfast.

T- Huckleberry is once again the main player as it was in the aroma but the base beer is strong and balances it out. Semi sweet berries slathered on crusty wheat toast with some bready tones from the yeast. Kind of reminds me of a pancake.

MF- The body overall is medium thickness with a foamy and silky texture. Carbonation at a high level causes the beer to puff up like a pillow.

Reminds me of the blueberry beers that are done correctly. Authentic berry flavor with a foamy body and slight sweetness. The underlying yeast makes it all come together like a breakfast bread. Drinks very well in Glacier National Park, Montana.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager from Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House