Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager - Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House

Wild Huckleberry Wheat LagerWild Huckleberry Wheat Lager

good

Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House visit their website
Montana, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

A light lager blended with real Montana huckleberry juice. Not bitter or overly sweet; extremely refreshing.

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-08-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a nice straw golden color with a nice white head a finger thick and decent to low retention.

S: Pronounced blueberry and huckleberry aromas. A slight skunky maltiness but mostly overtones of berry with undertones of grass and yeast.

T: Berry notes are alittle bit more subtle. I sense more blue than huck with a slight sweet maltiness on the finish. Slight finish of grass-fruit. Hops are nowhere to be found

M: Decent carbonation to complement the light berry beer. light body and leaves a slight oily texture.

O: This beer is designed to be a crowd pleaser for those women or men who have underdeveloped palates at best. Berry fruit makes up for the lack of hops and malt. Not my fav from this brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Had this awesome wheat lager off the tap at Whitefish ski resort after a long day.
The beer filled that glass nice with a golden color.
I took a nice sniff and was a solid lager with hints of fruity sweetness.
A gulp revealed a cold, clean crisp front end with a tart and slight hop to it. I could taste the huckleberry but it was not overpowering like other fruit beers I’ve had. This wheat lager was satisfying and not overwhelmingly fruity. I can easily drink a few pints of this.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Sounds gross doesn't it?

While at a Glacier National Park lodge, ordered a Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager on tap and was delightfully pleased. First of all, lets clear up any misimpression about huckleberries; they are a very mild fruit and in most applications (juice, ice cream, or jam) it is very mild and not overpowering. Thus, the huckleberry merely adds a mild flavor to the beer.

I'm not sure what a "wheat" lager is, as that sounds like an oxymoron, but lets not overhtink this, its beer after all.

WHWL is a very pleasing and refreshing brew, and the huckleberry is lighter than the bannana/clove flavor found in many German wheat ales. Try it, and you'll be pleasently surprised!

3.1/5  rDev -15.1%

Bought a bottle from the brewery so it was nice and "fresh".

Pours a translucent yellow with decent head. Smells like sweet fresh huckleberry's. Taste of beer is slightly sweet with a hint of bitter and finishes like a lager. It is a good afternoon or desert beer but not something I could drink alot of.

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

poured a very pale yellow with minimal amount of head. aroma is strictly of blueberry / huckleberry with some hints of banana. tastes a lot like long trail's blackbeary wheat - not that flavorful aside from the berry taste. slightly bready. a very light and refreshing ale, slightly fizzy on the roof of the mouth. this was a gift from a trade i did with someone in montana and he was disappointed that it was the only huckleberry beer he could find since it's not the berry season right now. it's honestly not that bad, but not great either. for a wheat beer it's good / for a fruit beer it's bland. the thought is appreciated and it's nice to get a taste of a berry that we don't get in the east coast.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer poured out as a clear looking yellow color with a decent looking white head on top. The smell of the beer was soft with the fruit coming through nicely. The taste of the beer was slightly sweet with a lager-like finish. The mouthfeel was light and very refreshing with a crisp bite in the end. Overall I found this beer to be pretty good, I wouldn't mind drinking this one in the summer months.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A - clear straw golden, solid white head retained very nicely with lots of bubbles rising from the bottom
S - strong aromas of grainy wheat, some adjunct like notes, leafy hops, and pleasant berries
T - robust sweet and slightly tart berry flavour, bready wheat backbone with some leafy hop notes, a very refreshing taste
M - effervescent carbonation with a light body, light tartness to finish
O - a very tasty beer with a nice balance of malt-hops-fruit, this would make a great summer sessioner

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

I know that the huckleberry is quite similar to the blueberry, but I still find huckleberries a bit on the exotic side, especially since I'd only ever had them in beer before my recent trip to Montana. Now I have Huckleberry Vodka, Huckleberry Tea, and of course, this Huckleberry beer, one of a few that I procured stateside.

This beer pours a cloudy, pale straw colour, with one finger of fizzy white head, which disappears in an instant, leaving some random specks of lace around the glass. The aroma is pretty much evident from a foot away - sweet and tangy huckleberries, and upon closer inspection, a wheaty maltiness. The taste is a balanced huckleberry fruitiness - sweet and acidic, with a nice, light wheat graininess sitting right behind. The carbonation is average, and unobtrusive, the body light and zingy, and it finishes dry and fruity.

A very nice, refreshing wheat beer, which just the right amount of the eponymous fruit character. Perfect for a hot summer day's quaffing.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

I received a sixer of this beer as a gift from a blog-buddy in Montana.

Very nice. I was a little apprehensive at first, as I don't particularly like fruity beers. But my apprehension disappeared once I tasted this beer. The aroma of huckleberries is strong and sweet, belying the actual taste... which is smooth, slightly hoppy, and NOT as overly sweet as the aroma might indicate. Mouthfeel is pleasant, with a slight aftertaste. Very, very drinkable... I could do a lot of this beer if I lived in Montana!

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured a yellow/orange color that was murky with a nice white head that dissipated rather quickly. The aroma and flavor are both dominated by the fruitiness of the huckleberry juice. Very smooth and thirst quenching. Nothing spectacular, nor offensive.

4.58/5  rDev +25.5%

I always get this on tap at the brewery on my trips to Montana.
Light gold appearence. Thin white lace. Has a mix of wheat and berry taste. Kinda on the sweet side, I could deffinentaly taste the huckleberry. A tad bit watery for me. This beer would be great on a nice hot day after working on the lawn.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Brown 12oz bottle, no alc listed, brought back from Montana Trip. Also got to sample on tap at the brewery tasting room. Pours a cloudy golden yellow color, one inch of white bubbly foam that left some thin lacing. Smells of fruity berries and lots of yeasty aroma from this unfiltered beer. Tastes like a yeasty wheat beer with just enough tang from the berries to give a fruity flavor. Kind of a thin mouthfeel (on purpose I assume) makes it light tasting, refreshing and easy to drink summer beer. Unique beer featuring wild Montana huckleberries.

2.42/5  rDev -33.7%

I do feel somewhat unqualified to review this beer. I normally do not like fruit beers, nor do I think I have ever experienced the flavor of huckleberry (or so I think). That being said, I found this beer not pleasant for me. Had this been a style that I like, my review may have been lower. It poured with almost no head at all, and looked like cider. Huge aroma- sweet and sugary yet also flowery. It says this beer has honey in it and you can taste it. It really tasted more like a mead- except it is not. For people who do not like beer, this may be acceptable. I could not finish it.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

Hazed light golden appearance. Thin, tight white head leaves sporadic lace. Nice berry nose mixed with wheat and NW hops. Another easy drinking brew from Great Northern. My second of the night. Nice prickly carbonation and a light-medium body give this a pretty nice drinkablility on a hot day. Some wheat tanginess mixes with the huckleberry tones without friction. Another Great Northern brew I'd drink if it was around and there weren't a lot of other options. Give me this over most macros any day though.

Thanks budgood1.

2.15/5  rDev -41.1%

Had to drink this one out of the bottle due to lack of a glass on a camping trip. Sweet, fruity aroma. More of the same on the palate - sweet, almost like a cherry soda. A bit too candy-ish for my taste. If you like sweet stuff, though, maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

pours out a cloudy sun yellow colour with a tight white head. i don't think i know what a huckleberry tastes like but the nose is very full of the berries. taste is very good...there is enough of the berry flavour to make it unique, but it doesn't overwhelm the whole aspect of the beer. there is enough grain and a hint of spice in the overall flavour pofile to balance things out. now, if fruit wheats aren't what you fancy, this might not agree with you...but it's a fairly tasty and refreshing. the mouthfeel is crisp and clean like a lager should be, with an quick bitter hop snap in the finish. lingering tingle of fruit in the aftertaste.

overall, a uniquely flavoured thirst quencher after a hards day work or just for summertime quaffing. i'm pleasantly surprised.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Not bad at alll....I'm a little surprised at this....pours a cloudy yellow/gold...nose is a sweet huckelbery/vanilla mix...the vanilla notes must be from the yeast strain they use as it has been evident in all the beers of theirs I have tried.

The huckleberry flavor is really subtle and works nicely in this wheat beer....combines with that vanilla flavor nicely...a bit watery in the mouth...i wouldn't want more than a couple of these but a nice flavored wheat beer...better than average and worth a try...thanks again to Budgood1 for this new and unique brew...

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

This is a very interesting beer. Doesn't look like much. No head to speak of. No lacing. But the beer is a slightly clouded orange-straw color. Smell those huckles! Tastes very refreshing. There's a slight wheat flavor. I'm teetering on the mouthfeel. It's nice and crisp at first, but the aftertaste is a little too tangy. I guess it gets you to taste more to get rid of the aftertaste and have some more of the good taste.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

I originally sampled this beer a few year ago while I was on vacation in Montana. I went to the brewery and had this beer in bottles. This is a unique, crisp wheat beer. I tried it as a novelty, because of the huckleberries. I really enjoyed it. The huckleberries really work well because of their tart/sweet flavor.
I hadn't seen or taste huckleberries until I had gone to Montana. They are about the size of a pea; slightly darker in color than a blueberry and bright red on the inside. They have a very tangy flavor.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Wild Huckleberry Wheat Lager from Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House