Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager - Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House

Black Star Double Hopped Golden LagerBlack Star Double Hopped Golden Lager

Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House visit their website
Montana, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-28-2002

A "double hopped" (dry hopped) unique American lager based on traditional European Pilsners with a crisp refreshing body and lots of taste. We add hops in the kettle and then again before finishing for aromatic quality.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager Alström Bros
4.74/5  rDev +50%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer took my platelet for beers to another level. I have had independent IPA's and other type of beer. But when I tried this beer one day, I never looked back. Even as I am writing this post, I am thinking about how great this beer tastes. I enjoy it and love it. Its very smooth and one of those beers you will remember

4.25/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I bought this beer because it look interesting. It was surprise to me it taste so good and refreshing.

Appearance - It has a Gold look with a finger with some lacing.

Smells: Malt and bread.

Taste- It is nice and smooth with a creamy body. It was a dry spice at the end. It taste way better then your macro lagers.

Mouthful- It was a light bodied which is not bad.

Overall: A great summer beer which is way better then macro lagers. I would buy this again.

3.92/5  rDev +24.1%

Another surprise package from indiapaleale in support of my end of The CANQuest (TM)! He has his own version and we keep going back and forth with beer (although I am currently in arrears). I CAN't wait to try some unencumbered lager.

From the CAN: "A family tradition since 1856 of unique brewing - Great Northern Brewing Co., Whitefish, Montana, USA - Original home of Black Star Beer"; "Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager is hopped the first in the kettle then again before finishing. Result? A refreshing beer with lots of taste. We hope you enjoy drinking it as much as we enjoy making it. ... Most questions answered."

The Crack revealed a beer that was as eager to greet me as a puppy hearing its master come through the door. I had foam coming up and out at me as soon as the CAN was opened, leading to a quick Glug. I ended up with about a finger of rocky, bone-white foam with limited retention. Color was a lightly hazy golden-yellow. Nose had the characteristic honey-like lager sweetness, a slight Noble hoppiness and that was it. No adjuncts to ruin a good thing. Yay! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was welcomingly clean, very crisp, lightly sweet, very refreshing. This could definitely go in my cooler for an afternoon outside, mowing the lawn, laying in my hammock ...

3.87/5  rDev +22.5%

12oz can received as a nice gift tonight from Rick at Brewforia.. Thanks Buddy!! Poured into my Stone Old Guardian goblet.

Pours very clear polished gold... even a tad darker than gold... Thin white head dies really quickly.

Nose is more malty than I was expecting... plenty of pale malts... some background spicy hoppiness, but it is pretty faint.

Again the flavor is all about the malts.. very clean and tastes very fresh. grainy and hints of sweet malt but never "sweet"... hops are there, but only if you think about it. Nice body for the style.. you can tell that this is an all malt beer for sure... pretty crisp and refreshing... I would buy this anytime I wanted something sessionable... actually seriously reminds me of Full Sail's Session lager.

Thanks again Rick.

Edit: I reviewed this per style ... This is a good beer... Just don't think IPA just because it says "double hopped" on the side of the can.

3.77/5  rDev +19.3%

Notes from a trip to S. Dakota and Wyoming May 2001 Purchased at Devils Tower, Wy

Color is clear golden yellow, small foaming head. Smell is dull and light, musty grass and some citrusy bitterness from hop. Taste is good though, smooth and hoppy, citrus and floral hops. Light and smooth, crisp and clean and citrusy sweet and bitter. Pretty good drinker.

3.66/5  rDev +15.8%

Well, I had this on a Virgin America Airlines flight back from Florida. I thought it said "Double Hopped IPA" because you see what you want to see!!! After realizing what the can actually says, I wrote down the following:

A-Gold body, with a finger and a half of white head, minimal lacing and nice little plumes of co2 coming up the sides.

S-Not much at all there. Just a little whisp of malt/breadiness and I caught some co2 coming up through it at about 5 inches away.

T-Nice and smooth, creamy body with a little bit of a dry spice at the end. Nothing complex, just refreshing.

M-light bodied, but enough to let you know you're drinking beer.

D-This is a very drinkable beer. If it wasn't EIGHT DOLLARS A CAN (shame on you Virgin!), I'd have gotten another one simply because of how refreshing it was.

3.61/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz twistie bottle poured into a pint. Freshness date was 4/22. Drank on 5/5. Doh! Not enough to matter in my book.

A- Deep golden color, nice 1.5 finger head on a conservative pour. OK retention, but gone within 10 minutes. No lacing. Watery looking.

S- Best attribute is the smell. Nice grainy malt with a tinge of hop aroma. As it warms, more of a cereal note. For the style very good.

T- I'm torn on the grading of the taste. Its perfectly decent a nice grainy slightly sweet brew, and some nice bitterness on the finish. But no hop to be detected outside the bitterness.

M- Falls short of expectation here, watery, and a very dry finish that leaves an unpleasant chalkyness in the mouth. Would more carbonation would be nice, but that would only make the finish dryer, and more negative. In a perfect world, carbonation would get it to where it is now.. if you can follow that thought process.

O- I remarked to my wife that if someone offered me one of these, or one of my go-to lawnmower beers; Molson, Rainier or a Miller Lite it would be a shot in the dark.... whatever mood struck me. Now throw a Full Sail session in the mix, and its a gonner. Overall though well executed and unique. A successful attempt at a different lager.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I had a couple of 12oz cans of this beer on a flight to Los Angeles. It was probably the best of their beer offerings.

Appearance: crisp, clear golden hue with a thin layer of fizzy white head. It actually has a depth of color which I very much like, although the weak head was a bit unfortunate.

Smell: light, sweet malt aroma. Not as hoppy as the name of the brew might suggest. There's a sticky sweetness here which might be a bit over the top for some people, but I didn't think it was too bad.

Taste: sweet malt with a good bitterness. Hops are earthy and well-balanced. Again, the sweetness here may not be for everybody, but I think it played well with the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: medium body with an OK level of carbonation. Creaminess is surprisingly good, which I like.

Drinkability: tasty, if sweet, middle-of-the-road kind of beer. When I was drinking this, I thought it was a golden ale or maybe a cream ale, rather than a pale lager. I'd have it again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pour - very clean, very clear light golden or straw color. Almost an inch or stark white foam on top. The head on this looks quite nice and leaves some lacing as it fades away. Nice little bubbles streaming upwards.

Aroma - the aroma is subtle, a bit of mashed grain, some grassy notes, some straw/hay as well as slight citrus.

Taste - very crisp, clean flavors. This lager has a nice malty, almost toasty, taste upfront and a nice bite in the finish. The carbonation levels are spot on and make this beer quite refreshing. No real hop presence, more honey and caramel sweetness and almost no aftertaste.

Overall - No, the double hopping doesn't provide this beer much in the way of hoppiness but this is a nice example of a lager that is well brewed with a nice malt profile and a clean, crisp finish. Well done. I'd like to go to Whitefish, Montana and try some of their other brews some time.

Would I buy more of it? - perhaps I would. I'd imagine this has a nice price point and in the summer a few cold cans of these would be a nice way to start the evening next to a campfire.

Nice golden label.

This beer definitely is more satisfying than other lagers (especially adjuncts).

I may be new to this, but I never knew hops were a large part of lagers. I usually connect them to India pale ales and other ales. The fact that hops were used in this no doubt increase its flavor.

However, despite the "double-hopped" on the label, I may not have noticed the hint of hops - it's subtle. Malt is definitely there.

Color is definitely more of a golden, almost red, then the yellow of cheaper lagers or of typical pilsners.

Smell is fine, nothing unusual there.

Fizzy and crisp.

Not skunky like cheaper lagers.

Despite that, this beer was exceptionally priced at my local grocery store. $1.44/pint. And in a six-pack.

Check out this little tidbit: "The brewery opened in 1995 under the stewardship of Minott Wessinger, the great-great grandson of Henry Weinhard." - Wikipedia

3.57/5  rDev +13%

This is to me actually a really good, standard American pale lager.

Somewhat dark gold, it has a medium off-white head quickly shrinking to a ring.

Aroma is appley grain, grass, hint of herb, pleasant and a bit sweet, a good, fairly full AMerican pale lager aroma.

Taste is a light but good, full grain, faintly bready, faint hint of ripe apples, under a lightly dominant grassy-spicey hop character. It has a good feel and character seems to hold up well. Feel is a bit frothy. It has a firm grain-grass aftertaste and is highly drinkable, with enough character to keep it going, and definitely leans to a firm, gently bitter and almost numbing grassy hop quality. However, the character is light and simple, with relatviely little flavour for the amount of hop presence.

3.53/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A gold colored beer with a decent white head. They named it correctly.

Fairly strongly hopped for an American lager. Scents of grass and sandalwood. Little bit of lemon and a good yeast aroma with a slight spiciness.

Starts out a little sweet with a mild caramel aftertaste. Decent hop level, no pilsner but the hops are here. Decently herbal the hops add some grass and a slight bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good.

Not that bad a beer for what it claims to be, an American Lager with improvements. Doesn't hurt that this is only $6.99 for the six-pack, not much more than a six of Budweiser.

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #42 (Jul 2010):

This beer is golden with a decent formation of head and perfect clarity. Its clean lager aroma has some vague graininess and floral hops. It's crisp with a nearly light body. With its grainy maltiness, animal feed grain and dried grass come to mind. The hops leave a sharp bitterness that simply balances, but the flavor is too faint to really pick up on. Its clean, dry finish has a quick note of alcohol. Amping up the hops would have made this lager better; it resembles a retro-lager.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a deep brown gold with a thick and creamy white head that lasts, lots of sticky lace, and a thick haze of fine bubbles that drift towards the surface. The label states "double hopped" and indeed, it is. The aroma is rich and hoppy with floral and sweet citrus notes as well. Taste begins with a slight sweetness, alcohol notes midway, and finishes with a crisp hop bitterness and bitter citrus flavors. An interesting change of pace.

Package reviewed was a 12 oz brown longneck with a twist-off cap, no freshness information.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

24oz can into pint glass.

A clear golden with a foamy, slightly off white head.

Sweet grainy malts, with some fruity, grassy hops.

Medium body with fairly average bubbly carbonation.

For the style, a fairly tasty, easy drinking beer. Good summer brew.

3.48/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 24 oz tallboy into an etched pint glass.

Clear gold color with a thin off-white head. Just a touch of lacing stretching up the side of the glass.

A little bit of floral hops on the nose, Saaz maybe, with some grain and sweet corn.

Mild but noticeable hop presence on the taste; faint pine, some earth and floral notes. Quickly gives way to fresh corn and moderate malt sweetness.

Medium bodied, a little heavy for a lager. Ends fairly clean. Could stand a bit more carbonation.

Overall it's pleasant. Cheap, better than BMC lager alternatives, but I'd rather have a NB Shift or a SA Noble Pils if I'm in the mood for a lager.

3.47/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A perfectly adequate if unsplashy lager.

Pours pale golden with with fluffy head that falls away without lacing. The aroma is grainy and pleasant, with a slight noble hop edge and a little bready sweetness. The flavor is light and bready, with a little sting of hops and a slight funk on th eback end that suggests maybe there's a little adjunct action (a slight edge of corn, perhaps). The finish has a faint sourness that betrays its relationship to the mass-produced adjunct lager cousins, but still I'd rather have this than, say, a Coors or Miller Lite.

3.46/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours pale amber with a one finger white head. No lacing. Aroma is spicy malts. Taste is rich malts with just a touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is fine for a lager. Has a lot in common with some of the better Canadian macro lagers. Could use another dose of hops to make it stand out from the crowd a bit more. A baby step up from most U.S. macro lagers. It has a slightly dry bitter finish. Freshness date on bottle is 12/2010. About three months from now.

3.45/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Easily available in CA within the last year. I have decide to review Montana's black star lager. The lager that comes in the vintage looking bottles and cans.

The beer pours a clear glowing golden orange. The head is mellow beige and creamy with good lacing and big bubbles interspersed throughout. The retention is decent.

The lager is pale with a light bitter american hop profile. About as hopped as Full Sail's session lager. I smell grain and caramel malts. The beer is slighty nutty with a sight honey aroma. I also sense slight spice, like nutmeg or cinnamon. I think there is some off-putting diacetyl smell. But is is acceptable.

The beer has a roasted malt taste with some decent west coast hop backing. The hop profile reminds me of the Full Sail lagers. I taste some light sugars in the mix. The blend isn't seamless but it is better than all the macro-lagers which go for the same price as this one. The aftertaste tends towards apple peel with a bit of a toasted almond flavor. The beer has some reminiscences of an English bitter. I am pleased with the amount of basic bittering hops. The beer packs a good crisp punch.

The mouthfeel is fine. The balance of malts and hops is acceptable for a beer this simple. The beer has a medium amount of carbonation. It is full bodied enough to be satisfying. The beer finishes with a slight bitterness. Very good palate cleansing beer.

I find this to be a pleasing beer. Nothing special but definitely drinkable. The price isn't bad and it is a refreshing alternative to the low quality macro-lagers which predominate the market. Sometimes I am craving something simple and this beer does the job.

3.43/5  rDev +8.5%

[Poured into an sam adams beer glass]

I: ۞50Th Beer Review!!!۞ I wanted my 50th to be a special beer of my choosing, but money's tight and I got a bottle of this for free. Doesn't help that I've been reviewing a lot of lagers lately.

B: [12 FL OZ]A generic bottle shape with golden labels. Labels contain a good amount of information such as Origin, ingredients, and etc..., but lacks abv. The hop head in me latched onto the "Double Hopped" part under the title. Dear god, it's a twist off(not a good sign).

A: Transparent golden body with a nice head(fast dissipation), and light lacing.

S: Smells clean for a lager. Little skunk, pale malts, grassy, and some grain.

T: Grassy malt is dominate with a hint of sweetness, ending with a faint hop bite.

M: Crisp/smooth finish, light/med bodied, med carbonation (good level), and low alcohol presence (eventually lingers to the back of the mouth).

O: Wow quite a shocker. This is pretty good for a lager, though the hops were underwhelming. If lagers are your thing, than pick some of this up. Defiantly worth a try. CHEERS!!!

3.42/5  rDev +8.2%

Received from promotion company for review on my blog.

Appearance: Black Star poured a clear, golden straw color with a huge, fluffy white head. Lacing was present throughout.

Smell: Instantly hit with malty sweetness with slight hints of spiciness from the hops.

Taste: This is definitely an all malt brew. Very crisp and clean flavors with hints of malty sweetness and a typical lager graininess.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean with a medium light body.

Overall: A solid lager. I was fortunate enough to receive both a sample in the bottle and a sample in the can and I would say the can tastes much better. Perfect for grilling out on those hot summer days. And at 4.6% abv a somewhat sessionable brew.

3.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce twisty into an 8 ounce sampling glass. The label lists the ingredients as "water, malted barley, hops". A bubbly 1/16 inch heads dissipates quickly, but the carbonation leaves the top lively with a light mist. The color is a pale, reddish-straw amber.

I definitely smell what I perceive as corn mash (not necessarily a bad thing, but not claimed as an ingredient by the brewers) and pale malt, along with some light floral hops. The taste is surprisingly complex, with a pleasant burpiness. The taste is somewhat sweet, with undertones of grain, corn, and sourness (green apple?). The hops are definitely understated in the taste, in contrast to the aroma. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing.

This reminds me of a good retro lager such as those produced in the upper midwest. At 5.99 for a six pack, its well worth the price, as it is an excellent warm weather beer.

3.38/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from can into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a golden color with a two finger white head that fades relatively rapidly with tons of carbonation bubbles are seen streaming through the brew. As the head fades over time only a lighter level of lace is left on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is of a light graininess mixed with some biscuit and lighter fruit smells. Along with these aromas is a lighter corn smell giving the beer an overall light but sweet odor.

Taste – The taste begins with a light malt taste mixed with some caramel and a bit of corn. As the flavor advances some fruity tastes as well as a light hop of a grassy taste comes to the tongue. These flavors take the taste to its end, leaving a crisp sweet and bready flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- The body of the beer was on the slightly thinner to average side in terms of creaminess with a carbonation level that was on the slightly higher side. Both made it a rather more refreshing beer and were quite appropriate for the style.

Overall- Refreshing and rather easy drinking but nothing out of this world. A good brew for a hot day while just sitting around with friends chatting.

3.36/5  rDev +6.3%

this website is known for it's true beer humor, so here goes. The local savemart grocery store here in Sacramento had a special--buy $7 worth of any kind of meat and you get 3 24 oz cans of this stuff free. It works out to 40 cents for a 24 oz can. There was a mountain of cans of this beer. I have to say, this savemart gets some rather unusual beers from around the USA, and I don't mean that in a good way. Anyhow, 3 weeks later I visited the store again and the mountain of cans isn't really any smaller.
That being said, I know BA people are used to drinking good stuff and the average Bud, Miller lager gets dissed--as it should. Having said that, this lager is better than Bud. I wouldn't take a trip to whitefish to visit their brewery, however. I would say this lager is worth every bit of the 40 cents I paid for it.
If I were at a BBQ and a cooler had Bud Miller and Corona and this stuff, I would choose this. Im trying to be positive here, and that's as good as I can state it.

3.35/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to Tyler for grabbing this for me on a recent trip to PDX. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a nice medium golden yellow with a thin cap of white head that had OK retention and lacing. The was nicely grainy, with a solid, but mellow, dose of hops. The flavor was also grain forward with a bit of a hop tang on the finish.

The body was surprisingly full, not heavy and a bit too sweet to be called crisp, and very enjoyable. Drinkability was pretty good, I could easily have these as my chore beer, or at a cookout if it were local to me. Overall, a solid and enjoyable brew that's worth a shot if you see it.

Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager from Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House