Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager - Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House

Black Star Double Hopped Golden LagerBlack Star Double Hopped Golden Lager

good

Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House visit their website
Montana, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

A "double hopped" (dry hopped) unique American lager based on traditional European Pilsners with a crisp refreshing body and lots of taste. We add hops in the kettle and then again before finishing for aromatic quality.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-28-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager Alström Bros

4.76/5  rDev +48.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer took my platelet for beers to another level. I have had independent IPA's and other type of beer. But when I tried this beer one day, I never looked back. Even as I am writing this post, I am thinking about how great this beer tastes. I enjoy it and love it. Its very smooth and one of those beers you will remember

4.5/5  rDev +40.2%

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I bought this beer because it look interesting. It was surprise to me it taste so good and refreshing.

Appearance - It has a Gold look with a finger with some lacing.

Smells: Malt and bread.

Taste- It is nice and smooth with a creamy body. It was a dry spice at the end. It taste way better then your macro lagers.

Mouthful- It was a light bodied which is not bad.

Overall: A great summer beer which is way better then macro lagers. I would buy this again.

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%

3.93/5  rDev +22.4%

Another surprise package from indiapaleale in support of my end of The CANQuest (TM)! He has his own version and we keep going back and forth with beer (although I am currently in arrears). I CAN't wait to try some unencumbered lager.

From the CAN: "A family tradition since 1856 of unique brewing - Great Northern Brewing Co., Whitefish, Montana, USA - Original home of Black Star Beer"; "Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager is hopped the first in the kettle then again before finishing. Result? A refreshing beer with lots of taste. We hope you enjoy drinking it as much as we enjoy making it. ... Most questions answered."

The Crack revealed a beer that was as eager to greet me as a puppy hearing its master come through the door. I had foam coming up and out at me as soon as the CAN was opened, leading to a quick Glug. I ended up with about a finger of rocky, bone-white foam with limited retention. Color was a lightly hazy golden-yellow. Nose had the characteristic honey-like lager sweetness, a slight Noble hoppiness and that was it. No adjuncts to ruin a good thing. Yay! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was welcomingly clean, very crisp, lightly sweet, very refreshing. This could definitely go in my cooler for an afternoon outside, mowing the lawn, laying in my hammock ...

3.85/5  rDev +19.9%

12oz can received as a nice gift tonight from Rick at Brewforia.. Thanks Buddy!! Poured into my Stone Old Guardian goblet.

Pours very clear polished gold... even a tad darker than gold... Thin white head dies really quickly.

Nose is more malty than I was expecting... plenty of pale malts... some background spicy hoppiness, but it is pretty faint.

Again the flavor is all about the malts.. very clean and tastes very fresh. grainy and hints of sweet malt but never "sweet"... hops are there, but only if you think about it. Nice body for the style.. you can tell that this is an all malt beer for sure... pretty crisp and refreshing... I would buy this anytime I wanted something sessionable... actually seriously reminds me of Full Sail's Session lager.

Thanks again Rick.

Edit: I reviewed this per style ... This is a good beer... Just don't think IPA just because it says "double hopped" on the side of the can.

3.5/4/3.5/4/4.5

3.8/5  rDev +18.4%

Notes from a trip to S. Dakota and Wyoming May 2001 Purchased at Devils Tower, Wy

Color is clear golden yellow, small foaming head. Smell is dull and light, musty grass and some citrusy bitterness from hop. Taste is good though, smooth and hoppy, citrus and floral hops. Light and smooth, crisp and clean and citrusy sweet and bitter. Pretty good drinker.

3.7/5  rDev +15.3%

Well, I had this on a Virgin America Airlines flight back from Florida. I thought it said "Double Hopped IPA" because you see what you want to see!!! After realizing what the can actually says, I wrote down the following:

A-Gold body, with a finger and a half of white head, minimal lacing and nice little plumes of co2 coming up the sides.

S-Not much at all there. Just a little whisp of malt/breadiness and I caught some co2 coming up through it at about 5 inches away.

T-Nice and smooth, creamy body with a little bit of a dry spice at the end. Nothing complex, just refreshing.

M-light bodied, but enough to let you know you're drinking beer.

D-This is a very drinkable beer. If it wasn't EIGHT DOLLARS A CAN (shame on you Virgin!), I'd have gotten another one simply because of how refreshing it was.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I had a couple of 12oz cans of this beer on a flight to Los Angeles. It was probably the best of their beer offerings.

Appearance: crisp, clear golden hue with a thin layer of fizzy white head. It actually has a depth of color which I very much like, although the weak head was a bit unfortunate.

Smell: light, sweet malt aroma. Not as hoppy as the name of the brew might suggest. There's a sticky sweetness here which might be a bit over the top for some people, but I didn't think it was too bad.

Taste: sweet malt with a good bitterness. Hops are earthy and well-balanced. Again, the sweetness here may not be for everybody, but I think it played well with the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: medium body with an OK level of carbonation. Creaminess is surprisingly good, which I like.

Drinkability: tasty, if sweet, middle-of-the-road kind of beer. When I was drinking this, I thought it was a golden ale or maybe a cream ale, rather than a pale lager. I'd have it again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pour - very clean, very clear light golden or straw color. Almost an inch or stark white foam on top. The head on this looks quite nice and leaves some lacing as it fades away. Nice little bubbles streaming upwards.

Aroma - the aroma is subtle, a bit of mashed grain, some grassy notes, some straw/hay as well as slight citrus.

Taste - very crisp, clean flavors. This lager has a nice malty, almost toasty, taste upfront and a nice bite in the finish. The carbonation levels are spot on and make this beer quite refreshing. No real hop presence, more honey and caramel sweetness and almost no aftertaste.

Overall - No, the double hopping doesn't provide this beer much in the way of hoppiness but this is a nice example of a lager that is well brewed with a nice malt profile and a clean, crisp finish. Well done. I'd like to go to Whitefish, Montana and try some of their other brews some time.

Would I buy more of it? - perhaps I would. I'd imagine this has a nice price point and in the summer a few cold cans of these would be a nice way to start the evening next to a campfire.

Nice golden label.

This beer definitely is more satisfying than other lagers (especially adjuncts).

I may be new to this, but I never knew hops were a large part of lagers. I usually connect them to India pale ales and other ales. The fact that hops were used in this no doubt increase its flavor.

However, despite the "double-hopped" on the label, I may not have noticed the hint of hops - it's subtle. Malt is definitely there.

Color is definitely more of a golden, almost red, then the yellow of cheaper lagers or of typical pilsners.

Smell is fine, nothing unusual there.

Fizzy and crisp.

Not skunky like cheaper lagers.

Despite that, this beer was exceptionally priced at my local grocery store. $1.44/pint. And in a six-pack.

Check out this little tidbit: "The brewery opened in 1995 under the stewardship of Minott Wessinger, the great-great grandson of Henry Weinhard." - Wikipedia

3.58/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz twistie bottle poured into a pint. Freshness date was 4/22. Drank on 5/5. Doh! Not enough to matter in my book.

A- Deep golden color, nice 1.5 finger head on a conservative pour. OK retention, but gone within 10 minutes. No lacing. Watery looking.

S- Best attribute is the smell. Nice grainy malt with a tinge of hop aroma. As it warms, more of a cereal note. For the style very good.

T- I'm torn on the grading of the taste. Its perfectly decent a nice grainy slightly sweet brew, and some nice bitterness on the finish. But no hop to be detected outside the bitterness.

M- Falls short of expectation here, watery, and a very dry finish that leaves an unpleasant chalkyness in the mouth. Would more carbonation would be nice, but that would only make the finish dryer, and more negative. In a perfect world, carbonation would get it to where it is now.. if you can follow that thought process.

O- I remarked to my wife that if someone offered me one of these, or one of my go-to lawnmower beers; Molson, Rainier or a Miller Lite it would be a shot in the dark.... whatever mood struck me. Now throw a Full Sail session in the mix, and its a gonner. Overall though well executed and unique. A successful attempt at a different lager.

3.58/5  rDev +11.5%

This is to me actually a really good, standard American pale lager.

Somewhat dark gold, it has a medium off-white head quickly shrinking to a ring.

Aroma is appley grain, grass, hint of herb, pleasant and a bit sweet, a good, fairly full AMerican pale lager aroma.

Taste is a light but good, full grain, faintly bready, faint hint of ripe apples, under a lightly dominant grassy-spicey hop character. It has a good feel and character seems to hold up well. Feel is a bit frothy. It has a firm grain-grass aftertaste and is highly drinkable, with enough character to keep it going, and definitely leans to a firm, gently bitter and almost numbing grassy hop quality. However, the character is light and simple, with relatviely little flavour for the amount of hop presence.

3.53/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A gold colored beer with a decent white head. They named it correctly.

Fairly strongly hopped for an American lager. Scents of grass and sandalwood. Little bit of lemon and a good yeast aroma with a slight spiciness.

Starts out a little sweet with a mild caramel aftertaste. Decent hop level, no pilsner but the hops are here. Decently herbal the hops add some grass and a slight bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good.

Not that bad a beer for what it claims to be, an American Lager with improvements. Doesn't hurt that this is only $6.99 for the six-pack, not much more than a six of Budweiser.

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #42 (Jul 2010):

This beer is golden with a decent formation of head and perfect clarity. Its clean lager aroma has some vague graininess and floral hops. It's crisp with a nearly light body. With its grainy maltiness, animal feed grain and dried grass come to mind. The hops leave a sharp bitterness that simply balances, but the flavor is too faint to really pick up on. Its clean, dry finish has a quick note of alcohol. Amping up the hops would have made this lager better; it resembles a retro-lager.

3.5/5  rDev +9%

Pours a deep brown gold with a thick and creamy white head that lasts, lots of sticky lace, and a thick haze of fine bubbles that drift towards the surface. The label states "double hopped" and indeed, it is. The aroma is rich and hoppy with floral and sweet citrus notes as well. Taste begins with a slight sweetness, alcohol notes midway, and finishes with a crisp hop bitterness and bitter citrus flavors. An interesting change of pace.

Package reviewed was a 12 oz brown longneck with a twist-off cap, no freshness information.

Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager from Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House