Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager - Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House

Black Star Double Hopped Golden LagerBlack Star Double Hopped Golden Lager

good

Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House visit their website
Montana, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

A "double hopped" (dry hopped) unique American lager based on traditional European Pilsners with a crisp refreshing body and lots of taste. We add hops in the kettle and then again before finishing for aromatic quality.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-28-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager Alström Bros

mhaugo, Dec 07, 2011

Shumj, Dec 05, 2011

RoryOMoore, Nov 23, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Color was pale golden, very similar to urine when you are dehydrated. Maybe ¾ inches of head that dissipated very quickly. Minimal lacing. Minimal film.

Smelled pleasantly good. Reminded me of a pilsner I had recently, light grass/grain. Also some caramel in there and maybe even some citrus notes.

Lightly roasted malts up front on the taste. Very smooth aftertaste. Kind of bland overall.

Light body. Kind of a sticky texture. Soft-to-flat carbonation. Abrupt finish.

An OK beer overall. It was actually better than I thought. I’d probably try it again.

BucannonXC5, Nov 17, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +7.5%

[Poured into an sam adams beer glass]

I: ۞50Th Beer Review!!!۞ I wanted my 50th to be a special beer of my choosing, but money's tight and I got a bottle of this for free. Doesn't help that I've been reviewing a lot of lagers lately.

B: [12 FL OZ]A generic bottle shape with golden labels. Labels contain a good amount of information such as Origin, ingredients, and etc..., but lacks abv. The hop head in me latched onto the "Double Hopped" part under the title. Dear god, it's a twist off(not a good sign).

A: Transparent golden body with a nice head(fast dissipation), and light lacing.

S: Smells clean for a lager. Little skunk, pale malts, grassy, and some grain.

T: Grassy malt is dominate with a hint of sweetness, ending with a faint hop bite.

M: Crisp/smooth finish, light/med bodied, med carbonation (good level), and low alcohol presence (eventually lingers to the back of the mouth).

O: Wow quite a shocker. This is pretty good for a lager, though the hops were underwhelming. If lagers are your thing, than pick some of this up. Defiantly worth a try. CHEERS!!!

MEsoJD, Nov 07, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +8.4%

A perfectly adequate if unsplashy lager.

Pours pale golden with with fluffy head that falls away without lacing. The aroma is grainy and pleasant, with a slight noble hop edge and a little bready sweetness. The flavor is light and bready, with a little sting of hops and a slight funk on th eback end that suggests maybe there's a little adjunct action (a slight edge of corn, perhaps). The finish has a faint sourness that betrays its relationship to the mass-produced adjunct lager cousins, but still I'd rather have this than, say, a Coors or Miller Lite.

Seanibus, Oct 10, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +7.5%

Easily available in CA within the last year. I have decide to review Montana's black star lager. The lager that comes in the vintage looking bottles and cans.

The beer pours a clear glowing golden orange. The head is mellow beige and creamy with good lacing and big bubbles interspersed throughout. The retention is decent.

The lager is pale with a light bitter american hop profile. About as hopped as Full Sail's session lager. I smell grain and caramel malts. The beer is slighty nutty with a sight honey aroma. I also sense slight spice, like nutmeg or cinnamon. I think there is some off-putting diacetyl smell. But is is acceptable.

The beer has a roasted malt taste with some decent west coast hop backing. The hop profile reminds me of the Full Sail lagers. I taste some light sugars in the mix. The blend isn't seamless but it is better than all the macro-lagers which go for the same price as this one. The aftertaste tends towards apple peel with a bit of a toasted almond flavor. The beer has some reminiscences of an English bitter. I am pleased with the amount of basic bittering hops. The beer packs a good crisp punch.

The mouthfeel is fine. The balance of malts and hops is acceptable for a beer this simple. The beer has a medium amount of carbonation. It is full bodied enough to be satisfying. The beer finishes with a slight bitterness. Very good palate cleansing beer.

I find this to be a pleasing beer. Nothing special but definitely drinkable. The price isn't bad and it is a refreshing alternative to the low quality macro-lagers which predominate the market. Sometimes I am craving something simple and this beer does the job.

BerkeleyBeerMan, Sep 14, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance is golden color with a thin crisp head dissapating quickly. Smell has a clean smell of a lager, but more aroma than just your regular American lager. Taste again has that clean taste of malt and a bit more bitter in the hop leaving that dry lager bitter. Mouthfeel is light-medium with a good spike of carbonation. Nothing complex, but a fair drinker.

Bookseeb, Jul 23, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -19.6%

Purchased as a sixer from South Point hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, NV - poured into insulated coffee mug.. and other vessels

Pours yellow with average head. Smells.. like.. well not hops! I say if you put "double hopped" on the label it damn well better smell like hops or at least be bitter.. but yeah.. neither. Smelled corny just like any old am lager. Taste followed unfortunately not much going on at all and it was a bit too bubbly.

Not a terrible beer, but not really worth picking up.

engagechad, Jul 22, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz bottle. Apr 25/11 date stamp. Reviewed 5/31/11.

Bright golden body. Half an inch of a dirty white head, with lots of fizzy little bubbles. Settles out to a patchy cover.

Aromas of corn husk and an unidentifiable fruit sweetness. Earthy and spicy hops dance in the background with buttery malts.

Lots of grain flavors (barley, corn and other cereal grains). Dry malts mid-palate, followed by a vague fruitiness. Quick hit of spicy hops. Finish is dry with high carbonation. Crisp mouthfeel.

This is double hopped!! This, unfortunately, does not translate into anything more than a completely average beer. This isn't horrible, but I can't imagine myself picking this up again.

litheum94, Jun 23, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +22.4%

Another surprise package from indiapaleale in support of my end of The CANQuest (TM)! He has his own version and we keep going back and forth with beer (although I am currently in arrears). I CAN't wait to try some unencumbered lager.

From the CAN: "A family tradition since 1856 of unique brewing - Great Northern Brewing Co., Whitefish, Montana, USA - Original home of Black Star Beer"; "Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager is hopped the first in the kettle then again before finishing. Result? A refreshing beer with lots of taste. We hope you enjoy drinking it as much as we enjoy making it. ... Most questions answered."

The Crack revealed a beer that was as eager to greet me as a puppy hearing its master come through the door. I had foam coming up and out at me as soon as the CAN was opened, leading to a quick Glug. I ended up with about a finger of rocky, bone-white foam with limited retention. Color was a lightly hazy golden-yellow. Nose had the characteristic honey-like lager sweetness, a slight Noble hoppiness and that was it. No adjuncts to ruin a good thing. Yay! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was welcomingly clean, very crisp, lightly sweet, very refreshing. This could definitely go in my cooler for an afternoon outside, mowing the lawn, laying in my hammock ...

woodychandler, May 22, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +11.5%

12oz twistie bottle poured into a pint. Freshness date was 4/22. Drank on 5/5. Doh! Not enough to matter in my book.

A- Deep golden color, nice 1.5 finger head on a conservative pour. OK retention, but gone within 10 minutes. No lacing. Watery looking.

S- Best attribute is the smell. Nice grainy malt with a tinge of hop aroma. As it warms, more of a cereal note. For the style very good.

T- I'm torn on the grading of the taste. Its perfectly decent a nice grainy slightly sweet brew, and some nice bitterness on the finish. But no hop to be detected outside the bitterness.

M- Falls short of expectation here, watery, and a very dry finish that leaves an unpleasant chalkyness in the mouth. Would more carbonation would be nice, but that would only make the finish dryer, and more negative. In a perfect world, carbonation would get it to where it is now.. if you can follow that thought process.

O- I remarked to my wife that if someone offered me one of these, or one of my go-to lawnmower beers; Molson, Rainier or a Miller Lite it would be a shot in the dark.... whatever mood struck me. Now throw a Full Sail session in the mix, and its a gonner. Overall though well executed and unique. A successful attempt at a different lager.

HugePlume, May 06, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +12.1%

Pour - very clean, very clear light golden or straw color. Almost an inch or stark white foam on top. The head on this looks quite nice and leaves some lacing as it fades away. Nice little bubbles streaming upwards.

Aroma - the aroma is subtle, a bit of mashed grain, some grassy notes, some straw/hay as well as slight citrus.

Taste - very crisp, clean flavors. This lager has a nice malty, almost toasty, taste upfront and a nice bite in the finish. The carbonation levels are spot on and make this beer quite refreshing. No real hop presence, more honey and caramel sweetness and almost no aftertaste.

Overall - No, the double hopping doesn't provide this beer much in the way of hoppiness but this is a nice example of a lager that is well brewed with a nice malt profile and a clean, crisp finish. Well done. I'd like to go to Whitefish, Montana and try some of their other brews some time.

Would I buy more of it? - perhaps I would. I'd imagine this has a nice price point and in the summer a few cold cans of these would be a nice way to start the evening next to a campfire.

indiapaleale, Apr 05, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from the 24oz can into a pint glass

A: The beer is a pure gold clear color with 2 fingers of white head. Very classically "beery" looking beer.

S: Grain all the way through. Crackery at first, then opening up a bit. Kind of rough or raw. This a true western beer. Again, a beery beer aroma.

T: Surprisingly assertive with a slight sweetness and a balancing bitter twang. This has to be what beer in the US used to be like. No nonsense in this brew. A straight up classic beer. I can't say too much else. I think most people know that character I'm talking about.

Overall, this is a good brew that I would definitely pick up again. Excellent kicking back, backyard BBQing beer.

BucBasil, Mar 30, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +10%

A gold colored beer with a decent white head. They named it correctly.

Fairly strongly hopped for an American lager. Scents of grass and sandalwood. Little bit of lemon and a good yeast aroma with a slight spiciness.

Starts out a little sweet with a mild caramel aftertaste. Decent hop level, no pilsner but the hops are here. Decently herbal the hops add some grass and a slight bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good.

Not that bad a beer for what it claims to be, an American Lager with improvements. Doesn't hurt that this is only $6.99 for the six-pack, not much more than a six of Budweiser.

Zorro, Mar 16, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz. brown twist off bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a lightly hazed golden with an inch or so of creamy white foam. Offers good retention and light lacing, fading after some time.

Bready pale malts on the nose with a bit of lemony hops. Rather light across the board and offering some Pils notes with warming. Similar factors on the taste with a bit of sweet lemon initially, drier on the swallow and with a sweet and creamy follow through. Hop bitterness is absent. Offers a typical feel bolstered up by a firm level of carbonation, otherwise the beer is rather full bodied and somewhat sweet with a short finish. This becomes more apparent as the carbonation decreases.

Double hopped all the way up to 15 IBU's baby.

HalfFull, Feb 26, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -8.7%

A-Pours golden yellow with a thin fizzy head. Leaves moderate stringy lacing.

S-Pale malts, dry, earthy hops. Very nondescript.

T/M-Crisp, grainy, dry. Fizzy. Standard macro-style lager. "Double hopped" doesn't necessarily mean anything, as most beers are at least double hopped. I get no distinct hop character from this aside from light, barely perceptible structural hops, which add almost nothing to the overall flavor.

D-Boring. Not bad, just fails to make any kind of impression.

DaveHS, Feb 11, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -15.9%

So I was at a local bottle shop last Friday and they were doing a free - yes free - tasting of this beer. I'm used to paying a buck or two so I thought, shit, it's free what the hell ya know? I had zero expectations for this beer.

It's a lager - something I haven't been drinking much of lately. I was on a German kick for awhile but that was a few years back. But I digress.

The beer had a nice white head on it - a good inch or so. No real smell or rather no appealing smell. Typical lager smell if I can say that.

Ya know - this beer is okay... for what it is. Can it stand up next to a Black Raven Trickster? Hell no - but that wouldn't be fair.

It's smooth with minimal taste. On a hot day - yeah, I could drink a few of these - that is if I was out of craft beer.

Next Review!

ScreamForMe, Feb 02, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +3.7%

6 pack from North Salem,Fred Meyer. $6.49 This brings back memorys from the late 1990s when this was considered a craft beer. Typical lager looks golden with a nice thick off white head. Again typical "macro" lager aromas..wet carboard, cereal and a touch of floral hops Taste is somewhat similar to the aromas..a sweeter lager than the usual swill though and no real bad after tastes. Nice enough on the palate. Overall a clean drinkable yet simple lager. Not that bad really.

Reidrover, Jan 25, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +9%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #42 (Jul 2010):

This beer is golden with a decent formation of head and perfect clarity. Its clean lager aroma has some vague graininess and floral hops. It's crisp with a nearly light body. With its grainy maltiness, animal feed grain and dried grass come to mind. The hops leave a sharp bitterness that simply balances, but the flavor is too faint to really pick up on. Its clean, dry finish has a quick note of alcohol. Amping up the hops would have made this lager better; it resembles a retro-lager.

BeerAdvocate, Jan 11, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance-A great looking lager. Clean and clear golden straw color with a foamy high white head.

Smell-Absolutely no aroma. Curious for a double hopped beer.

Taste-Light and clean malt flavors, very little bittering hops. A very light but lingering hop aftertaste. Nothing off, just not much happening.

Mouthfeel-Thin and watery. Cracklingly dry and crisp.

Drinkability-This beer is refreshing and light without much flavor to get in the way. What this beer has over macro adjunct lager is there is no corn or rice flavor. If this is the double hopped maybe it's time to tripple hop it.

olmatty, Dec 26, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -5%

My wife got some of these from her work.

Appearance- yellowish color, thick foamy head

Smell- malt

Taste- light malt flavor

Mouthfeel- light bodied

Drinkability- pretty good but just average I would say, I would probably drink it again but I wouldn't buy it

jeffjeff1, Dec 14, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -5%

12oz can, no visible dating.

Pours a pale golden straw color with respectable amount of head, which dissipates to a scant lacing in the glass.
Not much scent other than a bit of grain and husk.
A clean grain flavor, lightly sweet, with a clean finish.
Body crisp and refreshing.
No discernible hoppiness, despite the advertising. A clean pale lager, inoffensive, ultimately unmemorable.

Natural510, Dec 04, 2010

A - Nice, Clear, Gold

S - Smelled a bit skunky to me.

T - Basic lager taste. A bit more hoppy, but not much. A hint of vanilla in the after taste - that is why I have it an average taste review. If it wasn't for that vanilla aftertaste it would have been lower.

M - a bit more full bodied than I expected.

D - Good drinker. Refreshing.

If this was a lower price I would probably buy it in the summer as a lawnmower beer.

pnwclimber, Dec 02, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +15.3%

Well, I had this on a Virgin America Airlines flight back from Florida. I thought it said "Double Hopped IPA" because you see what you want to see!!! After realizing what the can actually says, I wrote down the following:

A-Gold body, with a finger and a half of white head, minimal lacing and nice little plumes of co2 coming up the sides.

S-Not much at all there. Just a little whisp of malt/breadiness and I caught some co2 coming up through it at about 5 inches away.

T-Nice and smooth, creamy body with a little bit of a dry spice at the end. Nothing complex, just refreshing.

M-light bodied, but enough to let you know you're drinking beer.

D-This is a very drinkable beer. If it wasn't EIGHT DOLLARS A CAN (shame on you Virgin!), I'd have gotten another one simply because of how refreshing it was.

slayer3604, Nov 16, 2010
Black Star Double Hopped Golden Lager from Great Northern Brewing Co. / Black Star Draught House