Belhaven Scottish Ale - Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

Belhaven Scottish AleBelhaven Scottish Ale

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 08-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Belhaven Scottish Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 847 | Hads: 1,838

This is my favorit beer, I always go back to it for flavor.

A it has a nice amber color that is great to see.

S it has a lite hope malt smell that has a carmel smell to it.

T Has that barrel aged taste that is just great to the palet.

M the mouthful is full and robust with the flavor of the hops and malts with the carmel barrel taste : )

O this to me is just one great beer that I alwys go back to, I bring it to my co-workers when we get of work at night and it is the first gone and they all agree tht it is one great beer. (532 characters)

The beer of my house is now under the Belhaven flag. I'm a big fan of this beer and couldn't speak more highly of it. It's a sweet, smooth ale that doesn't get disgusting as you drink more of it. I would recommend this beer to anyone. It's quality through and through! (268 characters)

The first time a had this beer was on tap and the Nitro Can is just as amazing. This beer is just awesome, it is hands down one of the best beers I have ever had.

The pour is perfect, the foam is perfect, the taste is slightly creamy yet full of unique flavor that is difficult to describe. The aftertaste is clean and perfect. I am so glad they have this in the Nitro Can. Highly recommend! (393 characters)

Dark Copper Color with substantial head due to nitro cone. Drier, malty, biscuity, subtle smokiness and light nutty flavor. Slight bite with creamy finish. (156 characters)

My favorite ale of all time. Very smooth and nutty with a hint of banana bread and just the right amount of carbonation and alcohol. Good with a cheeseburger and good for refreshment any time of the year warm or cold! (219 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +31.1%

wow. Best Ale I've ever had. I think I'm pretty much there in terms of...I don't see another ale beating this one for me.

Dark(yet somehow bright) amber color with a healthy head.

Smells like heaven.

Tastes like the ultimate beer. Perfect blend of malt and hops that keep it light, yet allow tons of flavor. By no means a dark beer, but it would be wrong to call it a "light beer."

crispy yet smooth going down...This beer could get me in trouble...I could drink it with every meal...and replace water with it in my diet...but I'm pretty sure that would end badly. must learn to limit the fantastical goodness. (614 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +28.8%

I really enjoyed this beer. Outstanding nutty flavor that even my wife liked. The finish was clean. Aroma was inviting. I would drink this all day long. I was doing a little Ale comparison and put it up agains Mirror Pond. I enjoyed the Mirror Pond but this was superior. (271 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +28.8%

Brilliant color. One of my favorites since getting into beer. Smooth, flavorful, complex, and just beautiful to look at in a glass. Makes me proud to be Scottish! (165 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +28.5%

I was very impressed with this beer, not really knowing what to expect at first. Once I poured it in to my glass, first thing I noticed was the head. Very thick, brown-ish like the beer itself.

Flavor is very full, nutty with an almost toasty aftertaste. Very impressed, definitely will buy again. (299 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

Appearance: Pours a tan-auburn color with a decent off-white one-finger head. Little to no lacing. Mild carbonation, looks very enticing. Head dissipates to a thin but strong layer of foam on top of the brew.

Smell: Mild floral hoppiness. A substantial whiff of caramel maltiness as well. Nothing nasty, nothing overwhelming. Really good.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Gentle sweetness with a near-perfect caramel chewiness. Very light and bright hop flavoring, and maybe a touch of lavender or something? Really, really good.

Drinkability: I could easily make this a session beer. Goes down smoothly, tastes great, would go with just about anything.

I have to admit I had low expectations for this brew. However, I may have found a new favorite style! GO SCOTTISH ALES! (761 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +25.6%

I first had this beer a month ago at a bar in Woods Hole, MA. It made such an impression that I've been on a quest to find it in my home town of Frederick, MD. Finally found it in both bottles and nitro-cans. This review is based on a nitro-can.

Poured from nitro-can into pint glass.

Appearance: Dark amber/copper color with a creamy off-white head. Head started about two fingers thick. By the end of the drink, it was still a little less than one finger thick, with nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Smokey, nutty

Taste: This is where this beer shines. This is, without a doubt, the smoothest beer I've ever tasted. No edge at all. It's got an earthy, smokey flavor, maybe even a little fruity, but that's not really the right word. Slightly hoppy aftertaste.

Feel: Creamy and smooth. I told a friend that it was like drinking a beer flavored milkshake.

Drinkability: Goes down smooth and easy. No bite, mild aftertaste.

This is, without a doubt, my new favorite beer. I am thrilled that the barmaid in Mass. talked me into trying it. Now that I've found it in my hometown, it will be a staple. I can't wait to try a Wee Heavy to see how it compares. (1,176 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +25.6%

Bottle Design: One of my absolute favorites. great design on the front and informative on the back.

Pours a deep ruby/amber with not too big of a head, making it one of the easier ones to pour. Contributes to a lack of aroma, one of the only things its missing. Head dies down, great lacing.

Taste: Smootest ale on the market, light enough to drink a few but not taste like flavored water. Tastes like a bottled Scottish pasture, earthy, vibrant, and lively. Sweeter rather than bitter.

An excellent Scottish Ale, and one of my all time favorites (even though I tend to like heavy beers like Russian Imperials and the like). Goes excellent with Junmai (dry) sake. (666 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +24.8%

Baskin Robbins 31 Flavor theory at work--no everyone has the same taste. This is one of my ideal beers with great color, heavy malts and low hops, British pub level of sessionable ABV. (185 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

There's just something about Nitro pours that make me giddy like a schoolboy.

Once the head settles, the pour is a deep, clear copper color with a beautiful creamy head that refuses to leave. The lacing is a thing of beauty.

The smell is fruity and nutty with some faint notes of caramel. Not overpowering and very pleasant.

The taste is sweet, malty caramel with some faint tartness on the back end. As the beer warms I definitely get a more nutty, almost almond-like flavor.

As with all nitro cans and bottles, the mouthfeel is completely flat and relatively light. By no means unpleasant as it was expected.

Overall I love this beer. This is the first Scottish Ale I've had and I'm definitely interested in trying more. I paid less than $6 for a 4 pack so you really can't beat the price either. (808 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ya know, i read the last guy's review on this and TOTALLY get what he meant by the 'butterscotch' aromas....
nice color (orange-y, brown), nice head, beautiful beer when poured.
smell is ... typically english/scotch with that curious 'butterscotch' aroma....
taste is... awesome. i love this stuff. when england (or scotland) does it right, it is GOOD! too many funky, weird ones out there from those regions, but i really like this distinct style and blend. i cant describe it, but it is the german equivalent to the sweetness of a dopplebock yet not as sweet, but very satisfying and tasty. this ought to be the offical style of the 'little countries'.... (657 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really love this Beer from a can. I got a Nitro keg for home and it's even better. You can down 2 pints before you even know it, it super smooth WOW Nitro is amazing . With all that being said it's an excellent beer anyway you have it, one of my top 5. Many have explained it feel and flavor already , much better than I can . If you have the chance get it on tap if not in bottles or cans it's still darn good. (413 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +23.5%

What a nice refreshing beer. Slightly peaty, nutty smell, with a floral herb essence. The red color holds up a nice whitish head and gives up nice lacing. The taste is one of legends and I am glad I had a whole imperial pint glass worth. Sweet long boil swwetness covered in a light fog of peat and a gentle herbal bitterness carry my tongue off to happiness. Great full mouth feel and way too drinkable. (404 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +22.7%

App: Big thick creamy white head 3 fingers worth. Decent retention, with good lacing. Reddish-brownish color.

Smell: Nutty, malty, yeast, and very earthy (grassy tones)

Taste: Very malt inspired taste, to me it tasted like it had a faint cherry taste, biscuity as well.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, very smooth beer

Drinkability: Would recommend this beer to people who like scottish ales. Very drinkable beer. (413 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +22.7%

This was an amazing bitter.

The beer poured a beautiful foggy light brown color with a hint of red.

Smells of sweet malt with a pinch of hops.

Well balanced flavor and aroma. The nuttiness is outstanding.

Very smooth on the palate. Feels full bodied. Just a well balanced ale.

Go get one... for real! (309 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Rich nutty aroma. Burnt sugar, Slightly steely mineral character. Toast, biscuits, a tad bit of cinnamon. Slightest hint of raisiny dark fruits, giving the impression of oatmeal raisin cookies. No real hop aroma.

Pours beautiful dark copper amber. Medium sized off white/tan head that recedes quickly but leaves a solid ring around the glass. Not much head retention.

Big rich flavor without being heavy on the palate. Dark caramel, toffee, rich pumpernickel bread. Some dark fruits, somewhat pruney. Big mineral character, steely and earthy. Complex and full flavor.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation. A bit high carbonation for the style. Nice lingering mineral character.

Very rich and pleasant. Lots of flavor without being heavy. (742 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely drinkable in a bottle. I picked up a 500ml at a local liquor store that stocks the good stuff, and for $4, this is easily worth the entry fee.

The comparisons to Newcastle Brown Ale are impossible to ignore. I was expecting something incredibly hoppy with almost no flavor otherwise, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I popped the top and smelled it, thinking "wait, this smells like Newcastle".

I'm only recommending the bottle as I've not tried the can variety, and with all the reports of nitrogenated, I'm not sure I want to. This has a *very* subtle hop taste to it, but overall it's a mildly sweet, somewhat-bubbly beer. It's actually really good for a hot day (105F here right now), and it's extremely refreshing. More-so than a light lager, in fact. It has a rich, fairly complex flavor, with some nutty notes, a carmelized malt flavor right up front, and as with Newcastle, has an almost tea-like taste to it overall.

For the price, I'd still go with the Newcastle, but this is a great brew. (1,026 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +20.8%

This is not only excellent from the bottle, but an excellent ale from the nitro draught can and among the better ones, reatining a solid feel and lots of charachter.

Copper with a little brown, it has a medium-large offwhite head, creamy and rich, shrinking very, very slowly and never dissipating beyond a small creamy head. It leaves rich foamy loace down the glass.

The aroma is rich toasted grain, a little dough, milk chocolate, light leaf, earth, and winey prune.

The taste is toasty grain with hints of chocolate, nuttiness, earthy leaves, caramel, and a little prune. It has light sweetness with the nutty-leafy-chocolatey bitterness just barely dominating through the finish, after which a light sweet caramelly maltiness lingers. It retains a nice, firm body uinderneath the creamy head and does not become so watery like many nitro beers can be. (859 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours an amber to dark copper with a nice creamy one finger beige head. Floral hop esters up front with softer notes of peach, apple and warm buttery caramel. Very mellow nutty profile with roasted barley, caramel, brown sugar and hops offering slight peppery spice, tea herbals, and a little spruce. Nutty to sour earth tones throughout and malt and honey sweetness gain ground towards the end. The nuttiness and sourness moves into the finish along with some dryness and oaky notes, but fades too soon. Thin mouthfeel and creamy on a vigorous swill is really enjoyable. (571 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful, full 2-finger head and the body is one of the most beautiful amber / copper colors I've seen.

Hints of caramel, malt, and toffee in the smell and taste.

Perfect light creamy feel. This stuff goes down smoothly.

One of my favorite beers. (250 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +20.1%

Sixer o' bottles on Snowy Football Sunday w/ easy pour into English nonic pint.

BIG fan o' this brew. Earthy, amber brown with a light, fluffy finger and a half froth. Malt, light toffee at first sip and then some vanilla in the middle. Roasted barley with a very faint hint of hops, smooth like silk going down the hatch.

Very crisp, clean all around. Perfect blend o' malts, some spice and grains. One of my all-time favorites it makes the year round rotation. Always sure to have a few on hand. (500 characters)

Belhaven Scottish Ale from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.