Belhaven Scottish Ale - Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

Belhaven Scottish AleBelhaven Scottish Ale

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 08-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Belhaven Scottish Ale Alström Bros
3.04/5  rDev -20.2%

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

3.64/5  rDev -4.5%

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Was at Phil's Liqour and the owner suggested this beer after I told him what I was looking for in a beer this warm Sunday afternoon. The guy never steered me wrong before, so this is what I got. It was a copper colored ale in a stout looking clear bottle. Poured into a Sierra Nevada hop tulip it poured with a very creamy looking 1'' head which steadily receded to about a quarter inch. Smells for the glass are nuts, bread dough and a smell I cannot identify. First impressions on taste are exactly as it smells. Pleasant, pleasing, and leaving a very slight sourness that lingers on the palate, with just a touch of bitterness balancing it out. Halfway down the beer I come to a conclusion. This beer is lower in alcohol, not a ton of flavors, and nothing fancy about it, but in a good way. Like an old tree that has taken ages to attain a good form, it reflects simplistic beauty. These beers subtly lull you into spending an afternoon drinking and enjoying good beers without getting hammered. A beer that could appeal to even those who are not beer enthusiasts as well. A solid B+ to the folks who made this beer. If it wasn't 12 a six pack, I would put it into the regular rotation, but this will be a once in a while relaxing Sunday beer from now on.

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

So, I stumbled upon this very tall 16.9 oz bottle for around four dollars. FOUR DOLLARS. Chump change for some of you blokes, but that's the most I've ever spent on a single beer that wasn't on tap. So this better be good.

Appearance (4.25) : Haha, it's like the incredible spiderman in the bottle. There's large bubbles like spider web in the bottle after I poured it. The glass, oh...right. A nice fluffy three fingered head that recedes in a couple of minutes' time to about 1 finger. The webbing it leaves behind on the glass is marvelous. The body is fiery orange honey colored and is dense and about 70% opaque. Some sediment can be seen floating around, excellent. Off to a great start.

Aroma (4) : A bit like your run-of-the-mill amber beer. It has some sourdough qualities, what smells like honey-cured turkey, mustard seed, wheat, and a yeasty breadiness. If I try hard and use my imagination, it's honestly like a really good turkey sandwich with pickle. Awkward. But hey, it smells great, so...

Bouquet is about medium volume.

Taste (4) : Robust and malty at the front, and quickly turns hoppy and yeasty. Some caramel, nut, and more yeast. It's creamy, delicious, and slightly woody. Some faint char also joins the mix, key word being faint, but it's there on the finish. Ends slightly antiseptic but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel (3.75) : Very creamy, melts in your mouth. Slightly carbonated to give it a pop. Medium bodied and ends semi-dry with a woody, smoky, slightly antiseptic finish.

Overall (4.08) : By far the best Scottish Ale I've had yet. I've tried Odell's 90 Shilling, and one other that I didn't care much for. Ultimately before I decided to write Scottish Ales off I figured I'd try a genuine forerunner. I am not sorry I did. Problem is, how am I gonna finish this pint? Oh, bother.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Lots of smooth malt flavor with a little hop bite at the finish. Very slight hints of nuts. Excellent Scottish Ale!

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Belhaven Scottish Ale from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.