Belhaven Scottish Stout - Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

Belhaven Scottish StoutBelhaven Scottish Stout

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

English Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: John_M on 02-28-2009)
klmcmachen

1.5/5  rDev -61.9%

07-06-2012 13:12:43 | More by klmcmachen
Marius

Romania

06-23-2012 18:56:10 | More by Marius
LilBeerDoctor

2.2/5  rDev -44.2%

Reviewed on 4/16/09. Bottle. Pours black with a small light tan head. Aroma is quite odd--slight roasted malt and also some vegetal notes I think Flavor is rather salty with a vague malt backbone. This is one of the oddest stouts I've had and I don't like it.

06-09-2009 16:27:02 | More by LilBeerDoctor
projectflam86

2.23/5  rDev -43.4%

A- I must say that the nitro pour for this brew looks amazing. Deep black color with a huge silky cream head that leaves sheets of lacing all the way down.

S- Muted aroma of roasted malt and metal. Very dissapointing.

T- Sharp biting iron flavor with the slightest hint of roast. Some musty hops and alcohol round out the finish. The "off" flavors seemed to dominate.

M- Creamy and smooth with very little carbonation.

D- I was really unimpressed by this brew. Overall a huge letdown.

02-18-2010 04:14:38 | More by projectflam86
GarthT

Hong Kong

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%

01-23-2014 14:23:35 | More by GarthT
biglite351

2.3/5  rDev -41.6%

A - nice and dark. Large lasting head.

S - mild and malty, but that is about all. It does not instill confident drinking.

T - bland. There ate a few flavors here but nothing all that familiar.

M - mild coating with some tingle behind the bottom lip.

D - I would pass on this one . I am somewhat not happy that I accidentally bought two.

04-25-2010 03:34:07 | More by biglite351
northaustin

2.4/5  rDev -39.1%

pours a thick black with minimal white head which disappears quickly and leaves almost no lacing.

smells bad. all roasted malts are overdone and it smells like nothing mixed with burnt syrup.

taste: things are lookin up but not much. very watery and bland. there is a bang of syrup and dry malts at the end though.

mouthfeel: drinks like a thick water but leaves your cheeks and throat very dry.

i usually like belhaven but this is a miss for me.

03-04-2010 07:34:56 | More by northaustin
abents

Wisconsin

2.45/5  rDev -37.8%

500ml English style bottle with stout prominently written on front
Pours dark dark brown with light tan head and moderate lacing. Smells of sweet roasted malts and chocolate, nothing too big here. Taste is a light roasted coffee bitterness and a chocolaty smooth finish. Very light bodied with medium carbonation. Real sweet finish makes this pretty unpleasant. A meh at best, wouldn't go for it again.

02-22-2009 05:10:37 | More by abents
pin

Australia

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

07-17-2012 03:52:39 | More by pin
StoutHunter

2.53/5  rDev -35.8%

I picked up a bottle of Belhaven's Scottish Stout last week for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I have never heard of this brewery or beer before but the price was right so I thought I would give it a shot, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a clear 500ml bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and not that eye catching, and I don't see why they put this in a clear bottle, nothing to see here. It poured a pretty dark brown color that had some ruby tinted edges when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of fluffy dark tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left a little bit of spotty lacing. This English Stout looks good.

S- The first thing that I pick up is tons of really sweet lightly roasted malts that have that typical sweet and malty, almost sherry like aroma that I get in most darker English beers. There was also a slight metallic aroma that mixed in with a very sherry like raisin aroma. I am not to impressed with the aroma, where are the roasty aromas.

T- Thankfully the taste is a little different from the aroma. It starts off with some very sweet medium roasted malts that impart a light chocolate and roasty flavors along with some brown sugar sweetness and some raisin and sherry flavors. At the end I got a light amount of earthy hops followed by a very sweet and slightly bitter finish with a sweet and lightly roasty aftertaste. Not too impressed with the taste, too much sweetness and not enough roast.

M- Smooth, cloying, a little creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied with a nice medium amount of carbonation. Not a bad mouthfeel but it could be a little thicker and not as cloying.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a below average English Stout. It seems like most of the English beers I have tried lately all have this super sweet malt profile that seems to take over any features of the particular style and dominate the aroma and taste, that is pretty much what happened here. This beer didn't have good drinkability the sweetness is far too high for me to finish the whole bottle, glad I got my brother to help me out. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it looked like a proper English Stout. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness, it was just way too sweet for the style and the sweetness seemed to drown out most of the other flavors and aromas. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's pretty cheap but even at the bargain price of $1.39 a bottle it doesn't really warrant a repeat purchase, not recommended. This beer turned out to be a let down, I just don't get how sweet all these English styled beers I have tried are and almost all of them seem to have that, maybe I just don't like the style but I have had some that aren't so I know it can be done. Not a good first impression for this brewery, I don't think I will be revisiting them again anytime soon.

02-28-2012 04:52:56 | More by StoutHunter
Globetrotter

2.53/5  rDev -35.8%

Found in a Moscow grocery store, the label calls this "Belhaven McCallum's Stout," but since the ABV is the same as the entry here, I'm going to assume it is the same brew. Straight brown 355ml (12 oz) bottle with a black and yellow label featuring a photo of a horse drawn carriage in front of what looks like the ancient brewery. The Russian import label lists "sugar syrup" as an ingredient. Best before August 2007, I opened it on 5/27/06.

Pours a clear dark burgundy under a reddish brown one finger head that settles a bit too quickly, leaving no trace at all. The nose is strong of sweet caramel. The mouth is light and quite prickly. The taste is thin, almost watery. Sweet caramel dominates, with just a hint of something roasted on an open fire. There is no hops backing, so the overall impression is quite sweet. Caramel dominates the aftertaste, although a touch of dryness emerges very late. A disappointment.

05-27-2006 12:56:53 | More by Globetrotter
stcules

Italy

2.53/5  rDev -35.8%

Dark, but not black. Mahogany reflexes. Brownish head, quite compact, but not very longstanding.
Sweet smell, like a sweet stout. Woody notes. Mou. A hint of ash.
The taste is again definitely on a sweet stout track, with mou notes. Quite boring, too sweet.
Then vanilla, quite creamy.
Medium-light body.
Just a bit sweet in the aftertaste too. Mou, vanilla. And in the end, some ash again.

11-01-2005 16:37:13 | More by stcules
baggio

Sweden

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%

Apperance: Dark brown (no guiness here!), beige thin lace.

Smell: Roasted corn, vanilla, smoke.

Taste: Coffee, Caramel, sugar. This is a very sweet stout indeed.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, thin body and sweetness all over the place.

This was a very disappointing stout that is way to sweet and has a very
thin body. I will not be trying this one again, couldn't even finish one
bottle.

07-23-2007 17:21:11 | More by baggio
COBeerBuff

Kansas

2.73/5  rDev -30.7%

Received from lackenhauser for the Black Booty 2011 BIF.

Appearance: Pours an opaque black with almost 3 fingers of mocha colored head. Lots of big bubbles dot the top, and you can hear the effervescent release of the nucleation as the head slowly (very slowly) dissipates leaving a good bit of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A rich toasted character starts it off. As expected, there are the roasted grains and the bready malts, but there's also a bit of hoppiness to the nose that is a bit unexpected, and a bit off-putting. It's doesn't smell like fresh hops, and I'm not sure I love it. Still, a solid nose, but just not what I was expecting.

Taste: Toffee, vanilla, and bready grains hit the tongue right off the bat. This is definitely a roasty stout, and that's what I'm looking for from the style. The finish is quite bitter and a little astringent, and I don't like that at all. It starts off remarkably balanced with a rich toasted flavor, but the hops on the back end are not well done at all.

Mouthfeel: It begins silky smooth, gliding over the palate with a great deal of ease. I was worried that this was going to be too heavy. And then the hops finished it off, and left me with a weird feeling in my mouth. It finishes a lot drier that I was expecting, and while that's not too uncommon for a stout, I'd like mine to finish with a bit more heft.

Drinkability: I'm not sure if it's the 7% ABV or the hop finish, but I don't think this stout is very drinkable at all. As it warmed, it did improve slightly, and I think I would order it again, at a pub with a limited beer selection, but beyond that, I probably wouldn't seek it out.

I appreciate getting the chance to try it from Steve as I've heard good things about the brewery, but I've never purchased any of their beers.

02-17-2011 00:15:50 | More by COBeerBuff

09-22-2013 00:31:06 | More by sircalcio
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%

Appearance: I thought this was a stout! It could pass as a Bock! Thin, ruddy dark brown body with a nougaty beige-white head. Good retention. But why is it so thin?!

Smell: Peaty, roasty malts. Caramel, toffee, diacetyl. Peanuts. Instant coffee. Fresh grain. Really nice, actually.

Taste: Sweet, with loads of caramel, figs, and candied nuts. Really, really peanutty, especially in the finish. Hops are just barely there, enough to counter the malts a bit, but not enough to really balance things out. Roasty-toasty notes add a much-needed depth.

Mouthfeel: Thin. This is not a stout. This isn't even a porter.

Drinkability: This beer is okay, but I certainly won't be seeking it out again. I'm only a few sips in and I wish I was drinking something else.

01-14-2007 13:26:45 | More by soulgrowl
rangerred

Tennessee

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%

500ml bottle poured into an english pint.

Appearance is jet black with a one finger dark tan head.

Smells of dark chocolate and espresso. There is a metallic smell present along with a bit of skunk.

Taste is roasted malt and some dark chocolate. Some bitterness is present from the malt and there is some brown sugar present as well. Some earthy hops finish it out. Mouthfeel is a little too light and watery.

Overall I am not too impressed with this beer. The mouthfeel is off and it is a little too sweet.

02-28-2012 02:33:56 | More by rangerred
notchucknorris

2.93/5  rDev -25.6%

A: Black with a dark tan head.

S: Skunk! My first skunked stout. Smells an awful lot like a Heineken with a touch of coffee in the background.

T: Smoke, ash, roasted coffee and skunk. I'd be interested in trying this one again if I knew it wasn't going to be skunked.

07-29-2011 22:04:38 | More by notchucknorris
charlzm

2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

Consumed October 12th, 2010 at Tony's Darts Away, Burbank, CA.

The color of this brew splits the difference between mahogany and black. Minimal head.

Sweet caramel and toffee candy aromas.

Flavor is sweet and reminds me of a Heath bar - toffee and chocolate. Finish so clean it's like you didn't even have a sip of beer. Very odd for a stout; tastes more like a Scotch ale.

Mouthfeel is average for the style.

Odd brew, this one. Didn't particularly enjoy it.

11-13-2010 22:30:17 | More by charlzm
acurtis

01-15-2012 13:38:54 | More by acurtis
jheezee

12-07-2011 04:10:21 | More by jheezee
mscudder

Georgia

02-15-2013 05:54:58 | More by mscudder
Belhaven Scottish Stout from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.