Belhaven Scottish Stout | Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |

Belhaven Scottish StoutBelhaven Scottish Stout

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.
United Kingdom (Scotland) | website

Style: English Stout

Added by John_M on 02-28-2009

Reviews: 280 | Ratings: 642
4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Yep. This is a sweet beer. Deal with it. Unlike many other reviewers, I don't expect every beer I drink to be hoppy or bitter. It's nice to have a Sweet malt beer sometimes and this doesn't disappoint there. For me it goes down easy and tastes better as it warms up. Great for in the winter sitting at a pub on a cold evening. Malty sweet dark tasty scotch import. I was lucky to get it on tap during beer week. I'll have one more please! 7.0 abv hits you aftershock.

A: Pours very dark brown to black in color with a finger tall tan head. The head reduces quickly but a quarter finger tall head is retained. There is significant lacing observed.

S: Aromas of roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, and hints of dark fruit.

T: The flavor is full of roasted malts, coffee, and dark chocolate. There are hints of dark fruit and smoke present as well. I really like the lingering bitterness in the finish. There is a nice amount of complexity to the flavor. Overall this is sweeter than expected but very pleasant.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Very creamy.

O: Not my favorite of the different styles of stout but this is avery nice example of the style and a very enjoyable beer. Hides the alcohol very well and I could easily sip of these all afternoon while watching some soccer.

2.52/5  rDev -35.7%

I picked up a bottle of Belhaven's Scottish Stout last week for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I have never heard of this brewery or beer before but the price was right so I thought I would give it a shot, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a clear 500ml bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and not that eye catching, and I don't see why they put this in a clear bottle, nothing to see here. It poured a pretty dark brown color that had some ruby tinted edges when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of fluffy dark tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left a little bit of spotty lacing. This English Stout looks good.

S- The first thing that I pick up is tons of really sweet lightly roasted malts that have that typical sweet and malty, almost sherry like aroma that I get in most darker English beers. There was also a slight metallic aroma that mixed in with a very sherry like raisin aroma. I am not to impressed with the aroma, where are the roasty aromas.

T- Thankfully the taste is a little different from the aroma. It starts off with some very sweet medium roasted malts that impart a light chocolate and roasty flavors along with some brown sugar sweetness and some raisin and sherry flavors. At the end I got a light amount of earthy hops followed by a very sweet and slightly bitter finish with a sweet and lightly roasty aftertaste. Not too impressed with the taste, too much sweetness and not enough roast.

M- Smooth, cloying, a little creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied with a nice medium amount of carbonation. Not a bad mouthfeel but it could be a little thicker and not as cloying.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a below average English Stout. It seems like most of the English beers I have tried lately all have this super sweet malt profile that seems to take over any features of the particular style and dominate the aroma and taste, that is pretty much what happened here. This beer didn't have good drinkability the sweetness is far too high for me to finish the whole bottle, glad I got my brother to help me out. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it looked like a proper English Stout. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness, it was just way too sweet for the style and the sweetness seemed to drown out most of the other flavors and aromas. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's pretty cheap but even at the bargain price of $1.39 a bottle it doesn't really warrant a repeat purchase, not recommended. This beer turned out to be a let down, I just don't get how sweet all these English styled beers I have tried are and almost all of them seem to have that, maybe I just don't like the style but I have had some that aren't so I know it can be done. Not a good first impression for this brewery, I don't think I will be revisiting them again anytime soon.

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

500ml bottle poured into an english pint.

Appearance is jet black with a one finger dark tan head.

Smells of dark chocolate and espresso. There is a metallic smell present along with a bit of skunk.

Taste is roasted malt and some dark chocolate. Some bitterness is present from the malt and there is some brown sugar present as well. Some earthy hops finish it out. Mouthfeel is a little too light and watery.

Overall I am not too impressed with this beer. The mouthfeel is off and it is a little too sweet.

3.86/5  rDev -1.5%

This is a very dark beer. I couldn't even see threw the drops the dripped on the counter. Had to really get my noise in to it to get the smell of coffee and malt. The taste was a bit better got some chocolate, and roast flavors, good beer but not much to have it really stand out from other Stouts, really didn't get that "Scottish" style from this one. But as I said not bad.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

I got this beer on Half Time’s website. I recommend checking it out. The pricing was pretty reasonable and I liked the selection. I took advantage of this selection to knock off another style from the 104 (only 16 left).

I poured the Scottish Stout into a pint glass, and this is a very dark, black beer. There was a thin tan head that dissipated pretty quickly.

Off the top I get chocolate, malt, coffee, and some roast. I get a little bitterness as well. I didn’t pick up any off the hops as listed on the label.

The flavor was complicated and balanced. There was a good presence of coffee, and behind it you get some of the chocolate. I liked the malt and roast. The hops don’t come in the taste as well.

The only downside was the bitterness present at the end of each drink. What starts with a very good look and smell; ends with a pretty strong dose of bitter. I know that this is typical to the style, but it hurts what is otherwise a very good beer.

Bottled: unk

Pours a dark ale with two fingers of latte foam, this falls slowly to a quilt of the same leaving lots of cobwebs. Very roasty nose; plenty of dark, coffee, charcoal malts and even nearly a savory, almost salty smell. Really a rich nose. Very roasty flavor as well with stone fruit, umami, coffee, oatmeal, some catty hops and even a little thyme flavor. I like this beer so far, really crushable as a stout. A little short of full bodied with moderate, but short lived carb and a semi dry finish. This is a really nice beer with hi potential for being paired with fire broiled red meats, taters, and some veggies. Good stuff.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

500 mL bottle. SA pint.

A: It looks black but lets light in. It has a finger of very frothy khaki head with great lacing.

S: Roasty nuts, coffee, and dark chocolate.

T: Strong roasted malts, no hops present, chocolate, some dark fruits, and lots of smoke.

M: Medium-thick creamy body.

O: Delicious. It is more Americanized than I expected.

Consumed while watching Scotland v. England 6 Nations match.

A: Pours a cola brown with nice red highlights. Less than a finger of khaki head that fades quickly, leaving behind little lacing and foamy ring.

S: Good roasted and chocolate smell. Has a slight dark fruit tinge as well.

T: Everything from the nose. Roasted malts, dark chocolate and fruits. Has a bitterness to it as well from the grassy hops.

M: Medium bodied and creamy.

O: This isn't a bad beer at all. At $5 a 22oz, it's a good value as well.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

500 ml bottle poured into a tulip; no freshness dating on the bottle or label. Dark, nearly black, body with no real amount of light getting through. A good two-finger creamy tan head that has decent retention and a little sticky lacing.

Not overpowering in the aroma but solid notes of roasted malt, coffee, and dark chocolate.

The flavor starts out clearly in the roasted malt camp, with a distinct smokiness following. Coffee, molasses, and a light nutty flavor round out the blend very well.

Lighter in the mouthfeel than most of this brew's American cousins, but it does not detract. Unusual to have a good beer out of a clear bottle, but I didn't detect any skunkiness. A solid stout that I would gladly have again.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

A one-inch, creamy, chestnut head presides over a barely translucent black walnut beer. As the head dissipates, it leaves a creamy veil of lacing.

The aroma is that of rich, dark chocolate, with fumes of coffee liqueur and roasted malt.

The flavor follows the nose with an emphasis on the black coffee, vanilla and pumpernickel. Sweet molasses is present as well. Finishes with bitterness in the back of the throat that lasts a long time.

This is a full-bodied stout with light carbonation and a creamy texture. Despite the aroma, alcohol plays a small role.

An easy drinking sipper for a Dogfish Head snifter, Belhaven Scottish Stout would also stand up to a meal.

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%

The beer is black with a red hue, a tan firm head, little lacing and some curtains.

A dry smell, burned wood, roasted malt. Not very distinct.

Good chocolate sweetness, a fruity sweet freshness, slightly smokey.

Little carbonation, soft and smooth, a fresh feeling with a light dry finish.

A nice *porter*, not the stoutish dryness.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

REVIEW #1500

Sniffed it before I poured it, and was quite surprised that it was neither skunked nor stale, seeing as it comes in a perfectly translucent, clear bottle. And, thank goodness, but I don't think Europeans have realized the extent to which the US beer scene has become gentrified, because this was reasonably priced.

Nice, medium-opaque pour. It's clearly dark red, when held up to lamplight, but it looks black enough from arm's length, and it's got a nice, fluffy brown head.

Smells dry, medium hoppy and acidic, with no real barley nodes. Where's the burniness I so enjoy in an English stout? I know this isn't dry, but there should at least be bit 'o bitterness, if not something sweet.

Tastes much more robust--dry hops, acidic yeast, and a sweet chocolately malt. It begins with a surprisingly nice node of pasteurization which moves into chocolate, then a blend of sour and dry. Very nicely balanced.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a Sam Adams pint.

A: Pours a nearly opaque, dark brown color with two fingers of khaki head. Good retention and some scant lace.

S: Deep, mellow roasted malts, some chocolate as well.

T: Roasted, slightly smoky malts up front, then a transition to chocolate in the middle, with some surprise hop bitterness on the end. Quite nice. Smoke is subtle but lingers on the aftertaste. Halfway through the glass, the hops begin to emerge with the chocolate and also take on a slightly floral quality.

M: Not too heavy, slightly oily.

O: Good stout, the balanced smokiness sets it apart. Well worth a try.

4.14/5  rDev +5.6%

-Appearance 3.0: Another off-black British stout with very little head. After my experience with Ridgeway Export Stout, this has me frightened. However, a small head does form, but I just can't get past a stout that isn't jet, onyx black.

-Smell 4.0: Very nice. I smell chocolate, toasted grains and coffee. Slight vanilla bouquet as well. I'm hopeful again.

-Taste 4.5: Slight sweetness upfront quickly followed by a subtle taste of toasted grains. Middle is a smoky chocolate and then a smooth finish with a vanilla and oaky resin flavor. Aftertaste is all hoppy goodness.

-Mouthfeel 4.0: Slightly characteristic of other stouts in its "big" initial feel, but this quickly fades into a lighter feel similar to an ale. Carbonation balance is good.

-Overall 4.0: Unexpectedly excellent stout. Smooth and drinkable, without the heaviness one usually expects from a stout. However, all the excellent stout characteristics are present and are very rewarding. Recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

500ml bottle into Portsmouth snifter. Interesting that the bottle is clear.

A: Pours black with a large, thick, dark coffee brown head that faded into a bubbly film that a great network of lace down the glass.
S: Roasted and smoky smelling, a bit meaty. Something sweet in there as well, maybe fruit. Toasted malts all around and earthy.
T: Follows the nose. I get roasted and earthy flavors of earth, peat, smoke, chocolate malt and roasted grains. Great sweet and lightly fruity taste in the finish, and the aftertaste is quick and easy with light flavors of brown sugar and caramel.
M: Fluffy carbonation with a clean mouthfeel and thickish body. Goes down chewy but smooth.
O: My first English Stout, and a good one at that. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Light but complex flavors, great mouthfeel.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Was pleasantly surprised by this one. I typically stick towards the heavier, boozier American stouts, so I wasnt expecting much out of this one.

Pours a very shiny and shimmery black with little head. A very good appearance.

The taste while most definitely constrained compared to what I normally like, still had enough of that roasted stout character and a nice overall amount of malty taste. Drank extremely smooth too which was a plus.

Not something I'd ever seek out specifically again, but wasnt regretting the order by any means!

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Has this beer at the Pub in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. It was served in the traditional stout pint glass with a one inch tan head. The head is thick and foamy guaranteed to leave a stout mustache. The color of this stout reminds me of pitch and has the thickness and consistency of molasses. All of this leads to my first quaff of beer that is very smooth with flavors of chocolate, vanilla, and a hint of licorice. This beer is much more intense and creamy tha Guinness. Really love this beer.

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle @ Pearl in Peterborough, NH. Dark, red-tinged pour. One knuckle oatmeal tan crown. Roasty aroma, w/ a little chocolate. Taste is rich, slightly dry in the traditional stout sensibility. Woody, earthy, dark chocolate taste, and somewhat thin on the tongue.

This is a pretty good example of a simpler, rounded european-style stout, although it's hop presence could step forward more than it does. Solid effort from Belhaven.

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Aroma is smoky, like a good stout, with a floral hint and tones of coffee and wood. It pours a deep warm sable that is a little translucent at the very edges and has a thick, fine-bubbled, fairly persistent light tan head that "pillows" in the middle after a bit. Smoky flavor has woody, unsweet chocolate and fruity tones. Firm-bodied texture has a fair amount of fizz and leaves a burnt wood finish. Overall, not too shabby.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

This poured out as a nice deep blackish brown color with a decent tan head on top. The smell of the beer has some light chocolate aromas along with some earthy roasted aromas too. The taste of the beer is on the sweeter side, not much bitterness in here at all. The mouthfeel isn't overly heavy at all, it's probably medium bodied and has a light amount of carbonation. Overall this beer is decent. I would drink it again if I came across it.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

not real experinced on stouts...but this beer was really smooth...good hopiness...good bit of smoke/nutty smell...chocolate flavor prevelant...not much head though...alcohol taste not a factor, (which is good in my book)...overall one of the top stouts i have had...

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

A little lighter bodied than I'd like, but nice flavors nevertheless in this stout. I'm also not a fan of the clear glass bottle. I'd prefer my beers not to be light struck, thank you very much. Pours very dark brown, approaching black with a somewhat thin head and no real lacing to speak of. Nicely balanced aromas of roasted grain, cocoa, some vinous notes, and perhaps a touch of smoke. The taste adds a creamy note and a touch of malt to the whole gentle package. Quite quaffable, and fairly surprising that this is as strong as it is. Very pleasant.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

A- black with light penetration at the surface only. A one-finger frothy head slowly fades to 1/16" and leaves a sticky lacing in its tracks.

S- chocolate, coffee, peat malt, faint vanilla

T- a very balanced blend of coffee, chocolate, a light alcohol-like flavor and subtle coffee

M- medium-bodied, thin for a stout. The carbonation lightens up the mouthfeel, but is not overpowering.

O- I received this beer from my father-in-law after he picked it up on a trip. I don't know how much he paid for the bottle, but I could definitely drink more of this if the price is not outrageous. It had a great balance of smoky peat and chocolate flavors.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

834th Review on BA
Bottle to dimpled mug
500ML

No bottle date

App- A medium/dark brown with a fast receding 1-1/2 finger head. A ring of bubbles settles at about 1/8”. Wasn’t the prettiest stout but still looked good.

Smell- A lot of roast with a lot of chocolatey notes and a bit of small bubbly hop notes. Malty driven nose just paired well with accenting flavors.

Taste- A roasted medium density flavor profile of chocolate with the balance malts was quite flavorful. Adding in the creamy notes was a good balance and it was a just a little bitter to round it out. Not as big and bold as night stalker but still good. A little smoother.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbonated. Chocolate with a little small bitter.

Drink- I have been trying to track down some styles and this was another one I had missed. This was quite good with a lot of chocolate coming through. The hops add a nice note and depth. Overall a really nice beer.

Belhaven Scottish Stout from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.