Wee Heavy - Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

Wee HeavyWee Heavy

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-24-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wee Heavy Alström Bros

Soma474, Sep 28, 2012
1.43/5  rDev -64.9%

500m bottle served in a pint glass at Bushwakker's.

Dark red ruby colour and clear. Thin off-white head.

Aroma is malty and smoky, but has an off scent. Smells like old stinky army socks.

Extremely smoky flavour. A little malt at the start, then campfire smoke just invades the senses. Even the aftertaste is smoky. Where the hell is the sweetness???

Medium bodied, mildly fizzy and dry.

Ack! This is terrible! Try drinking liquid smoke like you would make sausage with... that's this beer. Overwhelming smoke flavour. I might as well be smoking. One of the worst beers I've ever tried.

Noxious26, Aug 28, 2005
1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

cwreay90, Nov 29, 2012

J_Dub, Apr 23, 2013
2.14/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours a clear, dark red/ruby color and is topped with a relatively small tan colored head.
The aroma is mild - just some malt and perhaps a little fruit and wine aroma.
The taste was a kick in the head - strong and bittery all the way through with the wine-feel to go with (not what I like).
I don't really like this one, too bad.

MarkoNm, Apr 14, 2014
2.17/5  rDev -46.7%

After a run of good wee heavy brews, excited to see this on tap when I stopped for lunch at the Bulldog Lowertown in St. Paul, MN. Give me one of those!

And...blah. This is one of the most blase' beers I've ever had. Way, way, way, way, way too creamy to the point of severe distraction, really ruining the beer for me. No scotch taste to it at all. Just malt, malt, everywhere the eye & tongue turns. One note, & not a very interesting one.

Disappointing. Wonder if this would be any different out of the bottle.

maximum12, Aug 12, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

aztraz, Jun 30, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -41.5%

500ml bottle poured into a Gulden Draak tulip glass.

Appearance- Very very dark red to light brown in color. Basically a sliver of off white head.

Smell- A very green bottled beer skunkyness smell.

Taste- In the front there is that skunky beer flavor and some smoke and bread malts on the backend. The feint backend has what I have come to expect from a scotch ale but the front is either skunked or not to appealing.

Mouthfeel- Medium to light with pretty high carbonation especially for a scotch ale.

Overall- While the backend of the flavor notes resembles a scotch ale the rest is just not there. I am reserving my full opinion because the possibility of a sounded beer is here.

BrownAleMale, Sep 12, 2012

RyanCoonan, Aug 21, 2012

TastyAdventure, May 29, 2014

Belittle, Apr 29, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -37.8%

Poured to a dark brown with hints of ruby, and a thin off-white head with little lacing. Aroma was mostly chocolate and malt. Although I did not think this was a smoke beer, that is by far the most dominant flavor I got from this thin-bodied beer, along with a hint of choclate. Finish was mostly a watery, smoky after-taste. I was looking forward to this, but was quite disappointed.

kimcgolf, Aug 23, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a brown-ish copper with a lasting stubborn head, slightly beige and quite creamy-looking.

Smells very malty, a fruity malty, and maybe some green vegetables as well, and I get some buttery ... butterscotch, that makes me think of the horrible liquid Innis & Gunn, not falttering, but it goes away as the beer gets warmer. A light alcohol that is pretty stingy shines through when I inhale strongly.

Smell is actually rather thin, starts off well with a fudgy and slightly fruity maltines s, reminiscent of apples and plums with a semisweet thing to it, and then... nothing. The taste just plummets into a big heap of nothingness, leaving a lightly bitter feel in themouth, but that's it.

Mouthfeel is okay, nothing special really.

EDIT: Just read that the Wee Heavy we get here in Sweden in stores is a pasteurised one, that's really complete bullshit, explains why the beer felt dead and soulless I guess. Maybe I should have gotten worried when I saw that it was in 355 ml CLEAR bottles (just like that appaling Innis & Gunn), but now I know!

dqrull, Mar 26, 2010

JohnBender, May 28, 2012

vcoggins, Nov 10, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

Deep mahogany red coloured beer, substantial off-white head, good lace. A handsome beer.

Grainy, malty nose, but not substantial. Very first swallow is full of sweet caramel, lots of malt. Gently dry, very slightly bitter finish.

Interesting, but overall came off as slightly too sugary to me. Passable, but not something I'd work to track down.

Edit Sept. 29/05 Revisited. Looks good, smells good, but an unpleasantly medicinal taste. I'm coming to think that Belhaven underwhelms me.

TerryW, Sep 25, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

I was a little dissapointed by this beer.

The flavour was ok but it was nothing special. I like the high alcohol content, as I think this helps bring out the flavour, but really, I just didn't think it was warranted in this case.

Colour was good, but the head vanished very quickly.

Worth a try if you are a fan of the style, I suppose, but it just didn't do anything for me. It is certainly drinkable, and is certainly pleasant enough - it just doesn't ring my bells.

btmo, Oct 23, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -28%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A beer style that I truly enjoy, but unfortunately this particular Scottish Ale missed the mark with me. It poured a large sized creamy ivory head with fine-medium sized bubbles that was mostly lasting. The body was uncarbonated with a reddish-brown hue. The nose was malty, notes of caramel and butter. The flavor was slightly bitter and sour with a fore and aftertaste to it. The mouthfeel was smooth and medium bodied. This beer left a spider web like lacing.

hotstuff, Oct 26, 2003
2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Imperial 500 mL embossed body & neck labeled bottle with an artsy cool dragon on the front. Also states "Est. 1719."

Dark ruddy, ruby, mahogany yet clear filtered with scant rising bubbles under a khaki sticky slick head ring into me pilsner pint that quickly jumps up after a few swirls, finally leaving a lace coating.

Malty aromas dominate this pungent nose. Molasses and smokey doughy flavors.

Peat moss malts and dark roasted malts meet smoked salmon and hickory chips.

Feel is slightly oily, and heavy. (DUH!) This is a rough drinker to me but Wee Heavy is not a favorite style, yet being objective as possible...

Last swigs: Like the BELHAVEN Ale, not my cup 'o tea, but glad to have tried it. 6.5% sipper. Special thanks to Shapudding for having the tasting where this was offered.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

blitheringidiot, Aug 31, 2004
2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

*did not like would not buy*

app: ugly. dirty water!

smell: yummy! nice chewy malts .. some butter (I love butter!) small small amount of floral hops. real nice and thick smelling though.

taste: so odd in contrast to the smell.. toasted malts, strange.. to sweet. I wish with this butter richness that it had more toast to support it. oh well.

mf: dont care.. to sweet and lite.

drinkable?? kinda. not for me.. maybe a new new castle for some though.

AndoBrew, Apr 02, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

I poured this from the bottle into a pint glass, poured a deep brownish red, in the light you could see the reds come out. Decent off white head that lasted some time. Smelled sweet with some alcohol tones. Tasted of raisins and sugars that stayed with the aftertaste. Very heavy drink. I have never been a huge scottish ale fan and this one is not any different in that fact, however it is much better than some of the others out there. The heaviness wouldn't allow for many of these in one sitting.

beeroclock, Mar 25, 2007

chickenm, Nov 21, 2011

craiglcook, Jun 22, 2013

Cincy_Joe, Feb 17, 2013

LJWalker, Jan 13, 2013
Wee Heavy from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.