Wee Heavy - Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.

Wee HeavyWee Heavy

Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-24-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wee Heavy Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev 0%

This beer pours a clear but dark brown/amber/reddish body with tan head.

A nice malty, classic hard water sort of classic english/scottish, even pale ale-ish, smell.

Medium bodied with an initial earthy, smokey, woody, hard water malt sort of taste. A tad bit metallic with a mild earthy hop and bitterness. A nice caramel, classic malt , again very earthy and smokey but all in a very mild subdued way. It ends with a nice lingering mellow malt and hints of smoked meat.

Just a classic scotch ale. Basically a big malty pale ale with touches of burnt wood and smoke. Very drinkable and although 6%, a great session scotch.

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a thick creamy light tan head that looks as thick as frosting. The warm deep brown body was clear with a very gentle carbonation.

S- There was a soft caramel malt note with some slight toasted aromas and a hint of dried fruit in the finish.

T- This beer has nice flavors of dark caramel malt and a note of earthiness. The finish had some notes of prunes and plumes with a soft alcohol note. I noticed more of a smoky note in the malt that was very faint but added a nice balance to the deep malt flavors.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a creamy texture. No real alcohol heat in the mouthfeel.

D- This beer has nice dark sweet complex malt flavors and there were more, very subtle layers coming through as I drank.

3.86/5  rDev -4.7%

500 ml. bottle..pours out clear, dark amber..frothy, tan head...slowly settles to a film. Good-looking stuff.
Smells mostly of malt...a little dried fruit. I'm not catching any smoke in the nose. More like a hint of phenol.
Tastes mostly of caramel malt...moderately intense overall flavor. Pretty sweet, but well balanced with malt and hints of hops and phenol. Slight roof-of mouth numbing ...alcohol or phenol ??
Medium in body..low in carbonation....slightly slick.
Very drinkable...this is a really nice ale.

3.08/5  rDev -24%

I recently brewed a Scotch Ale of my own, and I know it's supposed to be sweet, but this one really didn't do it for me. Not quite opaque in appearance, slight reddish tint when held up to the light. It looks good, for what that's worth! Overly sweet aroma and taste - not a bad thing in the nose, but too much for my palate, at least. For me, the malt was really overwhelmed by that sweetness. I had a hard time finishing it. The girlfriend (who enjoys darker beers) mentioned an unplesant aftertaste. I was pretty surprised to log on and see how well it's rated. My opinion, here, so don't put too much stock in it, but if you don't have much of a sweet tooth, I'd steer away from this one. If you do, maybe you'll love it as much as most reviewers seem to have. I'll be sure to give it another chance, though.

3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

A Wee-Heavy at 6.5%? Ok, it is from Scotland. Well the nice red-brown body supported a white head with lots of lacing. A good smell eminated from the glass, a nutty caramilized beer with a touch of smoke and the barest hints of alcohol. Wonderfully crafted beer with lots of malty flavor and some dried fruit tones with little hop presence but a very smooth and lasting finish. Nice body bordering thick and a very drinkable beer. I thought it would be a bigger Wee-heavy but if this is how the scots do it, I guess we just Americanized the style.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours into the glass a clear dark amber to cola color. A firm tan head with sticky, fine lace.

Smells of roasted malt, raisins, dates with an earthy, herbal undertone.

Taste is of caramelled dark fruits with a wine-like mouthfeel that I enjoyed.

This has a low ABV so I would say it has good drinkability, sessionable.

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

This beer pours a clear ruby red color. The head is tan. It fades fast, leaving very few laces.

This beer has a good malty aroma. I detect a nutty aroma. Caramel is present also. It has a slight woody scent to it. The aroma is a little hard to sort out.

This beer tastes sweet. It is malty. Slightly nutty. Caramel flavor is slightly present. There is not much hop flavor.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a malty sweet aftertaste. This beer is slightly thin. It is carbonated well.

I think this beer would be a good session beer. It is not high in alcohol, so that wouldnt be a problem. Also, the flavor is not overly aggressive. I dont know how much I care for this beer. The flavor is sort of boring. It is worth a try though.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

An exellent brew for all you malties out there, not bad for a hophead like myself either.
A dark tea like colour with a full two fingered head with exellent retention, very lively carbonation.
The body itself is a medium/full.
The nose is to the grains, somewhat smokey and roasted nuts.
The taste is well balanced to the malts, moderate to the hops and a clean crisp finish....hints of caramel, grassy and roasted nuts.
Well done.

This could be my perfect beer.

I previously called Guinness home, but if it weren't for this brew's hard-to-find nature, we'd definitely have a new contender.

Yes, I know this isn't a stout...now. But it's everything I ever thought a stout should be, I just didn't know that what my buds were actually craving was a strong scotch ale. Dark, super malty, rich fuller-than-full body and a refreshing dry finish. Completed by a very reasonable ABV. It's the perfect formula!

Why, oh why can't every bar have this on tap?? I found it at the Map Room (Chicago), and if it was on a standard tap and not nitro, it sure fooled me. Perfect pour with a thick creamy head and excellent retention. Here's the sad part. I finally found my soul-brew, but when I popped in to say hello a week later--it was gone! Whether it was a temporary outage or tragedy of long-term distribution schemes, I don't know. But I will find it again!

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Presentation: Served on nitro tap at Frisco's in Columbia

Appearance: Chestnut brown, awesome retention and lacing.

Nose: Mostly fruity and tangy with some wood in the background.

Everything Else: A malt lovers dream. Dark fruits, malts, sugars, without any cloying nature. Goes down smooth and silky. I could drink this all day.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Belhaven is the quintessential Scotch Ale, a malt-head's dream. It pours a deep dark ruby red with a medium sized head that fades fairly quickly. The aroma is very malty and sweet with a boozy quality to it. The taste showcases an unbelievably complex malt bill. Slightly sweet with a nice bready toasty element that holds everything together. It is sweet, but never becomes cloying, something I find offensive in many lesser Scotch ales. It finishes with a nice alcoholic kick that warms you as it goes down. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy, buoyed by a mild amount of carbonation. Drinkability remains good because the sweetness is always kept in check by the bready, biscuity element. This is great Scotch ale that remains one of the pinnacles of the style. It's also a beer I find easy to disregard in the beer store as "been there done that," much to my detriment.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass the beer was a dark brown boardering on mohaganny color. It had one-finger of slightly off-white creamy head that was quick to fade, but left a thick sheet of lacing.

The smell was sweet malt, alcohol, toffee, caramel, and a slight bit of nut as well.

The innitial taste was a semi-sweet maltiness with a rather distinct nutty finish. Slightly dry in the finish but warming and robust as well. Alcohol is present, but not overly detectable. Some carmel and mollasses flavors come thru as the beer warms slightly.

Medium body with a surprisingly high amount of carbonation.

Very enjoyable and drinkable. Moderate in strength and body so as to allow for several in one sitting. That said, it did lack the chewy sweetness and dominant malt character so common in many wee heavy. Nonetheless, a solid beer.

3.42/5  rDev -15.6%

Expiry date on this one was Nov2005, I've had it sitting in my cellar for about a year I'd say.

Appearance: Dark cranberry reddish, with a ton of susprended floaties, it was like a scratched ruby, or a botched batch of jello. Proper amount of off-white head on top.

Smell: Interesting yeasty madeirization, that gives it a nice woody, worked in feel, like a piece of furniture at your grandma's place. Notes of cinnamon spicyness as well.

Taste: Smooth feel, with a bit of roasted malt, but the yeast seems to have taken this Beer over a little too much. Aftertaste is caramel sweetbut with a bitter side that was more yeasty than hoppy. It wasn't what I expected, but fascinating nonetheless!

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

awesome deep rich ruby brown with a thick tan head that stays the course.
peaty, smokey aroma with a little dark fruit and malty caramel.
this is one tasty-ass wee heavy. caramel maltiness, followed by smokey peat (sound like a kid in knew in high school), backed up with just the right amount of dark fruit. finishes with that mellow peat flavor into the aftertaste.
the body is medium with and odd peppery carbonation. a little thin for the style, but we're not gonna split hairs here.
i don't come back to beers very often, but everytime i come back to this i never regret it. it almost seems to get better. they should call this one belhaven's best not that other one.

4.07/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours brown and clear with good carbonation and pretty decent lacing. Very sweet and malty aroma. The alcohol is very present in the nose however it is hardly distinguishable on the palate. Nice rich, thick flavors that remind me of a double bock but with a really clean finish.
I was expecting something heavier and quite frankly am pleasantly surprised at how much flavor that is in this while keeping the body, finish, and feel of the beer on the lighter side.
A highly drinkable beer.

3.53/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep copper color with a very nice, stiff head that leaves nice lacing down the glass. Dispensed into a La Chouffe tulip style glass.

Smell is big and malty. Lots of caramel as well. I also detect notes of yeasties. That seems a bit weird.

Caramel tasting with a touch of alcohol flavor. At 6.5% I would expect to not taste the alcohol at all but I actually do a bit in this one.

Medium to full body with a nice mouthfeel. Sticky and sweet. Finish is actually crisp. I think Founders's Dirty Bastard is a better tasting scotch alebut this was a pretty good offering.

4.21/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark as hell maroon with little ruby red highlights. Massive off-white highlights. Great lacing.

Malty smell of roasted caramel, chocolate and butterscotch.

Big malty sweetness of caramel, chocolate malts and a hint of butterscotch . Light bitter hop finsh and a smokey dryness that sticks to the palate.

Full bodied, syrupy mouthfeel.

Very balanced and drinkable as hell. My favorite for this style.

Cheers!

3.45/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance - This beer pours brown with an offwhite, minimal head exhibiting light retention and light lacing.

Smell – There’s a lot in the nose including dark citrus, spices, honey, and deep malty scents.

Taste – Man, the smell really indicated there would be a strong taste, but this is way less flavorful than expected. The tastes that are present are bready, caramelly, fruity, and nutty, with a long smoky finish.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is chewy, creamy, and sticky.

Drinkability - This tastes very off for the Scottish style. There were metallic sour hints and they detracted from the general enjoyability of this beer. I will not seek this out again.

3.67/5  rDev -9.4%

This was on tap at the Scottish Arms. It poured a deep ruby color, clear with a thin off white head. Thick toffee/caramel aroma. Taste is toffee and fig, very sweet. Lot of caramel. Light slick mouth feel, decent drinkability. This is a decent beer, but it really reminded me of and ESB on steroids. Nothing wrong with that, I just was expecting more depth from a wee heavy.

3.57/5  rDev -11.9%

Well, I'd just finished two-fingers of Ardbeg when I drank this beer, so my tastebuds were totally destroyed, but I liked it. I don't normally dig scotch beers, in fact, Founder's has produced the only one I'd liked so-far (and I've been told it's not to style at all), but I liked this beer!
A pleasant, creamy head with a nice, syrupy mouthfeel. Good stuff. Good good stuff. The taste wasn't bad, sweet, but not overpoweringly so. Couldn't make out a scent other than malts, but the scottish usually boil the hell out of their hops, so that's expected.

I didn't hate this beer. In fact, I think I'd order it again. And again. Wow, there may be something to this style.

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 500 mL bottle into a standard pint glass. This beer is a deep brown, but completely clear (transparent) and not cloudy at all.

Smell is primarily roasted grains, plus some fruits, raisins, toffee, and biscuits. Very nice.

Taste is also nice -- malt sweetness, ripe fruits (plums?), biscuits and toasted bread, honey, and burnt chocolate. Very little carbonation, and almost no hop flavours at all.

Dropped the drinkability a bit because I find this beer is very heavy, even for the 6.5% ABV. Still, a very nice Scotch ale, although I'd probably pick McEwans over this from what I can remember.

4.09/5  rDev +1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

When I first poured this beer, I poured it in a poorly lit room. Looking at it, I thought immediately of Coca Cola. Was rather upset. However, in decent light the colour is a more black/red/crimson. Very little head, and what was there disipated fast. Smells great. Woody, dark malts, earthy hops. Taste, despite having an earthy feel, is also rather fruity. Dark fruits like raisins and plums. Mouthfeel is thick and juicy. Juicy. Ya know, I think that is the first time I've ever used that word in describing a beer. Who knew it would have been positive. Drinkable? Oh yes. Very.

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Attractive thick brown bottle with rampant lion design and the "Wee Heavy" moniker emblazoned across the front.
After pouring this beer I'm immidiately attached to the creamy mass of foam at the top of the brownie colored and sediment filled body. Definitely eye candy for beer nerds. Malt and smokiness are the major players in the nose, with a bit of a fruit essence, perhaps a berry of some sort.
The taste is rich and chocolaty but there is a very clear texture of smokiness as well. The flavor is complex, every sip is a little different. Several different spices also seem to be extant, although I'm not sure which.
This is an attractive, well made beer that is surpisingly tasty for how smoky it is and how high the abv is. This doesn't have session beer drinkability but I can highly recommend trying at least one.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

This was poured from the 500 ml bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: This beer presented as a pleasing amber color with an off white perpetual head.

Smell: A nice combination of wood and malty goodness.

Taste: This was a combination of smokey malty raisins with just a hint of bitterness for character.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This was most definately a treat to drink. Just when I was sure I was lost to "Beer Crack Land" a gift from the beer Gods was dropped in my lap.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Served in a taste-off against Robert the Bruce from Three Floyds... presented in a Duvel tulip glass at cellar temperature.

Appearance- A rich, hazy dark amber that supports an inch thick, off-white head that fades gradually to a foamy rim. Bubbles of all sizes float precariously above, with terrific lacing. Very interesting how this beer is brought back to life with each swirl of the glass.

Smell- Much boozier than RTB, and notes of smoke, vanilla, and tar in addition to the obvious gigantic malts. The alcohol is more noticable here than the former, at less strength. That's odd.

Taste- Syrupy smoked malts with a backdrop of wood, peat, and eventually some hops. Delicious, full-bodied, and rich... this is a winter warmer for sure, doing me just fine on this cold, damp October evening. As the beer warms further, the line between Scotch Ale and Smoked Beer becomes blurrier.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Active but not too busy in the mouth, leading to a good, slick finish. Great flavors going on, combined with the warming effects of a slightly kicked-up ABV... all in all a damn fine brew. A terrific companion with a cigar or your favorite novel.

Wee Heavy from Belhaven Brewery Company Ltd.